What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Victorian ever produce a player good enough to play for Australia?

TheRam

Coach
Prince George will die of old age before Victoria produce a born and bread player for Australia.
(excluding Maori or Islander heritage)

Hell they can't even produce a 1st grader ffs.

sempmrh

Juniors
Victoria’s first dedicated state centre for grassroots rugby league hasn’t even been built yet. If Victoria had a facility like that 20 years ago maybe things would be further along by now.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Victoria’s first dedicated state centre for grassroots rugby league hasn’t even been built yet. If Victoria had a facility like that 20 years ago maybe things would be further along by now.

It's not hard to get into the ears of local schools and encouraging them to run a concurrent RL system alongside AFL. Note I said concurrent, because if you walk in there expecting to convince them to drop AFL for League, you're going to get laughed off campus.

Clubs had no problem maintaining flows of juniors from their respective states long before having a shiny new building to sell yourself with was vogue.

sempmrh

Juniors
It's not hard to get into the ears of local schools and encouraging them to run a concurrent RL system alongside AFL. Note I said concurrent, because if you walk in there expecting to convince them to drop AFL for League, you're going to get laughed off campus.

Clubs had no problem maintaining flows of juniors from their respective states long before having a shiny new building to sell yourself with was vogue.
I’m Victorian and finished year 12 in 2004. Not once did anyone from rugby league come to my school. Someone from rugby union did, though - and this wasn’t even a private school. Younger family members have never had anyone from rugby league come to their school either.

moffla

Bench
Storms existence has increased Rugby League's popularity in Victoria. Prior to their introduction, the game wasn't even mentioned. Shit, it's only been the last decade where we've not had to stay up until 11.30pm to watch NRL on FTA.

We now finally have a solid physical presence Melbourne's sporting landscape. That's step one. Step two is now getting these newly invested generation into playing the game and building on the back of that. Doesn't happen overnight. Probably still the better part of a decade off - but there's a good foundation for it to happen

Generalzod

Immortal
Storms existence has increased Rugby League's popularity in Victoria. Prior to their introduction, the game wasn't even mentioned. Shit, it's only been the last decade where we've not had to stay up until 11.30pm to watch NRL on FTA.

We now finally have a solid physical presence Melbourne's sporting landscape. That's step one. Step two is now getting these newly invested generation into playing the game and building on the back of that. Doesn't happen overnight. Probably still the better part of a decade off - but there's a good foundation for it to happen
If winning comps haven’t made inroads in Victoria what will,

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I thought AFL players were good enough to dominate any sport? League, soccer, NFL, Kabadi, midget tossing

banter aside, the only difference between AFL players and NRL players is that they were born south of the Murray, SA included

such a waste of talent as they could really boost our stocks of league, union and football (soccer) players

Perth Red

Post Whore

You really have no idea.. It is in fact very hard to get schools to adopt other sports programs they have no history or exposure to.