What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9s squad

LeagueNut

First Grade
The Perth Nines are just under a month away. What do you want to see from the Warriors at the 9s this time around? A first choice squad aiming to win the whole thing, or a heap of rookies with our stars kept under wraps?

Also the Roosters have drafted an AFL player into their 9s squad. If the Warriors were to bring in someone from outside their squad, either a former player or someone from another code, who do you reckon they should bring in? I can picture them giving Mannering a run. I wonder if Manu would be up to it?

Penrose_11

Juniors
The Perth Nines are just under a month away. What do you want to see from the Warriors at the 9s this time around? A first choice squad aiming to win the whole thing, or a heap of rookies with our stars kept under wraps?

Also the Roosters have drafted an AFL player into their 9s squad. If the Warriors were to bring in someone from outside their squad, either a former player or someone from another code, who do you reckon they should bring in? I can picture them giving Mannering a run. I wonder if Manu would be up to it?
Pretty sure Manu is busy with other things

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'd like to see Ken not used either , maybe give Fus a run see if he can regain some of that form he had.

For me RTS and Harris are the only two who if we lose we might as well throw up our hands and say "see ya next year".

I'm all for sending a team that meets bare minimum requirements though.

LeagueNut

First Grade
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/02/10/papalii-becomes-youngest-captain/

LEESON AH MAU
ROCCO BERRY
JACKSON FREI
BLAKE GREEN
CHANEL HARRIS-TAVITA
TEMPLE KALEPO
ADAM KEIGHRAN
EDWARD KOSI
SAM LISONE
KEN MAUMALO
TAANE MILNE
AGNATIUS PAASI
ISAIAH PAPALI'I (captain)
HAYZE PERHAM
LEIVAHA PULU
SELESITINO RAVUTAUMADA
JAMAYNE TAUNOA-BROWN
PAUL TURNER

About what was expected I guess. Will be interesting to see how they go without the home-town pressure.

Benek

Juniors
Ice as captain is pretty weird. He's barely good enough to first grade footy in a poor foot side. Maybe they think the added responsibility will help him lift his game??

Rich102

Staff member
They're not household names yet, but the Warriors are excited about the host of young talent they're sending across for the NRL Nines.

Established first graders like Leeson Ah Mau, Blake Green, Ken Maumalo and Agnatius Paasi will be flanked by some relative unknowns, with coach Stephen Kearney eager to see what some of his young talent have got.

Nines isn't to league what sevens is to rugby, but fewer players on the park does mean there will be more room to move and more expansive play across the board.

Four of the Warriors young guns in particular have impressed in the pre-season, and are being tipped by players and coach alike to have a big tournament.

1. Paul Turner, 19 - halfback

Paul Turner is a player everyone at the club have high hopes for.
With speed to burn, the Whangarei born and bred product is someone Warriors staff and players can't stop mentioning this pre-season.

A halfback, he is capable of playing anywhere in the backline.

Middle forward Josh Curran spoke highly of the young playmaker on Tuesday, tipping him as "the one to keep an eye on".

"He's killing it at training, really shone this whole pre-season," Curran said.

"He's just so good on his feet and we're all really buzzing and looking forward to watching him, and all the young boys, have a red hot crack this weekend."

2. Hayze Perham, 20 - five eighth

Hayze Perham has been developed as a half.
Perham got a taste of first grade last year, and looks set to take on a bigger role this season.

He came into the Warriors system as a fullback, but has been developed as a half of late and to great effect at ISP level.

Strong through contact and a natural ball player, but Perham's greatest weapon is the electric footwork that saw him become a schoolboy star before he ever pulled on the Warriors colours.

Kearney has high hopes for the Rotorua youngster and feels the Nines will suit his style of attack.

"We want to field a competitive team, and I think it will suit the likes of Hayze," he said.

"It's an opportunity for him and other guys to get some more experience at that next level."

3. Rocco Berry, 18 - fullback/centre

Young Rocco Berry was a schoolboy star in rugby union.
The son of former All Black Marty Berry, Rocco Berry has impressed plenty of the side's more established first graders throughout the pre-season.

The Masterton-born 18-year-old is a fullback and capable centre, with out-and-out speed.

He was signed by the Warriors after an outstanding schoolboy rugby union career in Wellington and has hit the ground running in Auckland.

Chanel Harris-Tavita, who will run out alongside Green in the halves, said Berry was someone he was particularly excited to see get a chance.

"We have so much young talent here I'm really looking forward to seeing them on the big stage," he said.

"Rocco is a really naturally gifted player and he's been working extremely hard. This format will really suit him."

4. Selestino Ravutaumada, 20 - wing

Selestino Ravutaumada practising his acrobatic finishes.
Nines' captain Isaiah Papali'i might not be able to pronounce his last name, but said he is excited to run out alongside the "electric" Fijian winger.

Ravutaumada has been training with the first grade squad for a while now and has had his development accelerated by learning off the likes of Maumalo and David Fusitu'a.

After scoring nine tries in 14 appearances for the Warriors junior side, he was selected for Fiji Bati at the recent World Cup Nines.

Fast and strong in the air, he will be a regular last tackle target for Green and Harris-Tavita.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...iors-young-guns-to-watch-out-for-at-nrl-nines

Benek

Juniors
Is anyone else really ho-hum about the nines this year? I almost forgot they were on. It doesn't help that the Warriors first game starts so late at night in NZ. But honestly, I'm not sure if I'll end up watching much at all. Would be good to see how the Warriors youngsters go though.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
those 4 players mentioned are the main reason I'll be watching. Heard good things about the Fijian winger especially