What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hamblin

Juniors
A lot of good points there. The current system is flawed, the conference system is flawed and until we have a system where each team plays everyone else home and away there will be no perfect system. Something has to give because only the Broncos make a profit from football operations and on that basis alone we need fo find a way or system to make all other clubs more profitable or at the very least increase there revenue streams.

There is NEVER going to be a competition where each team plays each other twice unless the number of teams is reduced to no more than 12. It wont happen. If the number of teams was increased to 20 we could have one round where you play each team only once plus stand alone weekends for origin and test matches. TV would get an extra 2 games per week.

Coastal

Juniors
I think you’ll find it’s about getting bums on seats. I read somewhere our average home attendances exceed 16000 against other Sydney based clubs and 11000 against the non Sydney based clubs. Those are significant numbers and when you take into account the current system where there have been seasons where we haven’t had home game against the Sydney sides which bring in the big numbers that is a lot of revenue lost. It’s about maximising revenue otherwise down the track sides may go under as the NRL have stayed no more bail outs. I’m not advocating one way or the other but there needs to discussion on this issue in the long term.
Here is another reason why your conference platform wouldn't work. You have basically contradicted your self in saying "bums on seats" and not having Brisbane playing any Sydney teams for the first 16 weeks. You stated that it all depends on what Brisbane want to do, well I think you answered your own question.

Kilkenny

Coach
Here is another reason why your conference platform wouldn't work. You have basically contradicted your self in saying "bums on seats" and not having Brisbane playing any Sydney teams for the first 16 weeks. You stated that it all depends on what Brisbane want to do, well I think you answered your own question.

It’s not ‘my’ conference system this is something that has been discussed at the CEO’s chatfest’s and raised by certain journalist’s over recent year’s.

I simply raised it as a discussion point given there are so many flaws in the current system and the fact that 14/15 of the current NRL clubs other than the Bronco’s are losing money some in significant funds which is not sustainable going forward.

The conference model that has been talked about at higher levels than this forum does not mean one conference plays every one else in there own conference in the first 16 rounds, not at all. The draw spreads game’s throughout the entire 25 rounds so we could play Brisbane in Round 1 home or away depending on the way the draw comes out. It just means we only play Brisbane once because they are in the other conference but at some stage during the 25 rounds of home and away we play all Sydney sides in our conference home and away at some stage.

Someone else on here has been talking about a four conference model which to my knowledge has not been discussed it is simply at two conference model based on Sydney clubs and the rest.

I simply make the point people are putting in there heads in the sand if they think the game can continue operating as it currently does with clubs losing millions of dollars each and every season without there being collateral damage and that means clubs going to the wall. We are probably better positioned than most for the time being in that our Licensed Club continues to meet the short fall but again is that sustainable in the long term.

My reference to ‘bums on seats’ was referring to the fact under the mooted conference model we would enjoy significant increases in revenue from a guaranteed and significant increase in home attendances at our stadium. Give me home games against the Eels and all other Sydney based clubs each and every year as opposed to what we currently have to endure.

Kilkenny

Coach
There is NEVER going to be a competition where each team plays each other twice unless the number of teams is reduced to no more than 12. It wont happen. If the number of teams was increased to 20 we could have one round where you play each team only once plus stand alone weekends for origin and test matches. TV would get an extra 2 games per week.

Well unless the games governing body addresses the obvious financial and other issues in the game there may only be 12 teams left standing 10 years down the track. I am well aware there is not likely to be a competition in the NRL which allows for the ideal situation where everyone plays each other twice. The games governing body have made it clear no more financial bail outs in the future so there could be some pain ahead for some clubs in the foreseeable future.

Abacus

Juniors
Personally, I'm not a fan of the conference proposal for the simple reason that quality would be diluted. IMO, we don't have enough players for a quality 16 team competition, let alone trying to get another 4 teams out of it. I understand the argument for growing the competition but I just don't think more teams for the sake of more teams/games of compromised standard is a successful strategy.

I'm more a fan of the promotion/relegation model - but this would requires a national 2nd tier competition or at least agreement that 2 teams are promoted/relegated each season - with 1 promoted from each of the QRL & the NSWRL. This could result in a shift from the Sydney-centric competition we have now, but at least it would be done organically and based on performance/success, so eventually producing a competition of strong quality that is ready for additional teams/clubs/franchises.

Other considerations to make this work may include introduction of a lottery-based draft (once the promoted clubs have had primary access to the premium talent) and the transfer of resources from relegated clubs.

While it would be primarily up to the governance of individual clubs to manage their financial sustainability should they be relegated, there is also the option of the NRL providing a baseline level of funding to the 2nd tier comp(s) to somewhat mitigate the associated risks of the promotion/relegation competition model.

BxTom

Bench
Personally, I'm not a fan of the conference proposal for the simple reason that quality would be diluted. IMO, we don't have enough players for a quality 16 team competition, let alone trying to get another 4 teams out of it. I understand the argument for growing the competition but I just don't think more teams for the sake of more teams/games of compromised standard is a successful strategy.

I'm more a fan of the promotion/relegation model - but this would requires a national 2nd tier competition or at least agreement that 2 teams are promoted/relegated each season - with 1 promoted from each of the QRL & the NSWRL. This could result in a shift from the Sydney-centric competition we have now, but at least it would be done organically and based on performance/success, so eventually producing a competition of strong quality that is ready for additional teams/clubs/franchises.

Other considerations to make this work may include introduction of a lottery-based draft (once the promoted clubs have had primary access to the premium talent) and the transfer of resources from relegated clubs.

While it would be primarily up to the governance of individual clubs to manage their financial sustainability should they be relegated, there is also the option of the NRL providing a baseline level of funding to the 2nd tier comp(s) to somewhat mitigate the associated risks of the promotion/relegation competition model.
I also support relegation/promotion with a smaller NRL. I really like your idea of splitting the promotion betweem NSW and QLD! I would also modify the draft so that clubs have the first pick of their own juniors. I don't know if that is already part of the draft in the AFL ( I don't follow it), but if not, it should be.

franklin2323

Immortal
Look at the last few teams to run last Newcastle and GC. They would go for likely to be inner city clubs. I don’t see how it helps the game

OldPanther

Coach
Wow,I was really keen on us signing Curtis Scott.

My instincts proven wrong again

Panthers fans right now:
giphy.gif

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Wow,I was really keen on us signing Curtis Scott.

My instincts proven wrong again

Sometimes (just sometimes) missing out is the best thing ever. With Panthers often we are caught up in the web.
So to the Canberra faithful sending them good vibes, (whilst wiping off our brows saying with great glee)

betcats

Referee
Curtis Scot....the raiders will be filthy at him, he wont be playing this season at all I suspect.

He opened up about his depression and anxiety just in October, spoke about how Sydney wasn't a good place for him....and then he spends all day at the Ivy getting pissed, its just an incredibly stupid decision. The mental health card will be played again like clockwork to get some sympathy, but depression doesn't make you fight cops, being a dickhead does that.

franklin2323

Immortal
Curtis Scot....the raiders will be filthy at him, he wont be playing this season at all I suspect.

He opened up about his depression and anxiety just in October, spoke about how Sydney wasn't a good place for him....and then he spends all day at the Ivy getting pissed, its just an incredibly stupid decision. The mental health card will be played again like clockwork to get some sympathy, but depression doesn't make you fight cops, being a dickhead does that.

Not the smartest tool in the shed

hindy111

Post Whore
Confidence to play their natural game is an issue when players come into the top grade. The u20’s Egan was a beast if that comes out he will be a very good player

So was Lichaa and Kaysa Pritchard.
Some guys suit NRL better then 20s and vice versa

Status
Not open for further replies.