What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, we are approaching the end of January with 27 signed players.

11 backs:
Hunt, Williame, Norman, Aitken, Saab, Periera Dufty, Ravalawa, Lafai, Sailor and Lomax

16 forwards:
Lawrie, McInnes, Blacker, Luke, DeBelin, Ford, Host, Graham, Lovodua, Kerr, K.Sims, T.Sims, Vaughan, Frizell, Fuimuano and Merrin.

Rumour we are talking with G. Jennings (why I dont know)
Of course JDB still huants us but at least we'll know in a couple of weeks as court case starts next Monday.

Personally i'd like us to promote Clune and Sullivan to fill the 29 required by March. Then promote, at the very least, Ramsay to the DS.

Crush

Coach
So, we are approaching the end of January with 27 signed players.

11 backs:
Hunt, Williame, Norman, Aitken, Saab, Periera Dufty, Ravalawa, Lafai, Sailor and Lomax

16 forwards:
Lawrie, McInnes, Blacker, Luke, DeBelin, Ford, Host, Graham, Lovodua, Kerr, K.Sims, T.Sims, Vaughan, Frizell, Fuimuano and Merrin.

Rumour we are talking with G. Jennings (why I dont know)
Of course JDB still huants us but at least we'll know in a couple of weeks as court case starts next Monday.

Personally i'd like us to promote Clune and Sullivan to fill the 29 required by March. Then promote, at the very least, Ramsay to the DS.
OMG those backs! Wow! Outside of the halves I don't think one player makes any other NRL starting side.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
OMG those backs! Wow! Outside of the halves I don't think one player makes any other NRL starting side.

What I find more interesting Crush, is the fact, outside of the halves, our highest priced fantasy player is Periera.
That says something!

SnowDragon

Juniors
Will the squad currently assembled be good enough to make the top eight? I have my doubts. The forwards are solid but as has been said, the backs outside the halves seem brittle and far from dynamic.
Probably looking at a tenth place finish in my view.

I think the squad is definitely good enough. Sure it has weaknesses, but 2 years ago the centres were firing and although I have little confidence, they could turn it around, the pack is potentially awesome, halves have skills and experience, and we have some real talented youngsters ... the real issue is will they perform, will the coach put together a better game plan and inspire the team to perform, will the defensive grit of Flanagan make a difference, ... or will they fail like last season and under perform.

SAP58

Juniors
I think the squad is definitely good enough. Sure it has weaknesses, but 2 years ago the centres were firing and although I have little confidence, they could turn it around, the pack is potentially awesome, halves have skills and experience, and we have some real talented youngsters ... the real issue is will they perform, will the coach put together a better game plan and inspire the team to perform, will the defensive grit of Flanagan make a difference, ... or will they fail like last season and under perform.
IMO the coach is not capable of getting the best out of this or any side, a former representative centre that has our centres in 2019 playing like they did is a good example of his coaching ability. Flanagan will definitely have an influence but our head coach does not.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Will the squad currently assembled be good enough to make the top eight? I have my doubts. The forwards are solid but as has been said, the backs outside the halves seem brittle and far from dynamic.
Probably looking at a tenth place finish in my view.

Exhibit A: 2019 Canberra Raiders - finish 4th in regular season made GF.
Exhibit B: 2019 Parramatra Eels - finish 5th in regular season.
Exhibit C: 2019 Manly Sea-Eagles - finish 6th in regular season

Exhibit D: 2019 St George Illawarra Dragons - finish 15th in regular season

I rest my case.

SnowDragon

Juniors
IMO the coach is not capable of getting the best out of this or any side, a former representative centre that has our centres in 2019 playing like they did is a good example of his coaching ability. Flanagan will definitely have an influence but our head coach does not.

My point is that the roster has deficiencies, but can easily make the 8. But serious changes are needed or we will end up bottom 4.

Your comments are pretty much inline with that I guess

possm

Coach
Until I see what effect Flanagan and Shephard have on the team, I'll reserve my decision about the top 8 or even the top 4. Let's hope he is working with the back 5 and his influence shows them to be a great improvement on last year.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Until I see what effect Flanagan and Shephard have on the team, I'll reserve my decision about the top 8 or even the top 4. Let's hope he is working with the back 5 and his influence shows them to be a great improvement on last year.

My take on this is that Flanno is doing the coaching. We havent paid out Mc85 because we need someone as the "official", (so to speak), head coach.
Like you, I hope that the new CEO will prioritise lobbying the NRL as to a reduction in Flannagans ban.
The fact that a lit of our juniors have signed on, as well as players who were once thought of wanting out eg: Lomax and I believe Friz is close to re-signing (fingers crossed).
I dont believe any of this would have happened (or happening), if Mc85 was going to be around for the next 2yrs. Add to this the general chit chat about how much a difference Flanno has brought to the training paddock.

redVinme

Bench
My take on this is that Flanno is doing the coaching. We havent paid out Mc85 because we need someone as the "official", (so to speak), head coach.
Like you, I hope that the new CEO will prioritise lobbying the NRL as to a reduction in Flannagans ban.
The fact that a lit of our juniors have signed on, as well as players who were once thought of wanting out eg: Lomax and I believe Friz is close to re-signing (fingers crossed).
I dont believe any of this would have happened (or happening), if Mc85 was going to be around for the next 2yrs. Add to this the general chit chat about how much a difference Flanno has brought to the training paddock.

I want to live in hope...
The concern is how the hell are we going to get flannos suspension reduced when we are already talking about him breaking the terms of his employement...
If there are rumours already floating around about how much control flanno has. How long until that is spoiled by someone telling toddy.

Old Timer

Coach
The concern is how the hell are we going to get flannos suspension reduced when we are already talking about him breaking the terms of his employement...
If there are rumours already floating around about how much control flanno has. How long until that is spoiled by someone telling toddy.
Excellent post by you.
Loose lips sink ships and we are already listing very badly so I place no credit in the "Flanno" is actually coaching scenario because we are anything but "air tight".
Also no way Gould would allow himself to be linked to anything dodgy that could bring him under the scrutiny of the media.
Mc Gregor will be there all season and next as well and no way "Flanno" will be at the Dragons once he is cleared to coach again.
Just more fanciful and wishful thinking from people who are so dried out from this husk of an organisation that any drop of rain is seen as drought breaking.
PS: Gould is the ultimate schemer and will have other plans for "Flanno" especially if the Panthers have another misfiring year.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Question is: how is he breaking the terms of his employment?
Supercoach is still listed as head coach, Flanno is an assistant, hence assisting the head coach. He's in charge of defense and whatever the head coach asks him to do, as any assistant would.
As I said, its probably why Mc85 is still there as the suspension stated Flanno cannof be a head coach for 2yrs, hence Mc85's current position.

blacksafake

First Grade
Excellent post by you.
Loose lips sink ships and we are already listing very badly so I place no credit in the "Flanno" is actually coaching scenario because we are anything but "air tight".
Also no way Gould would allow himself to be linked to anything dodgy that could bring him under the scrutiny of the media.
Mc Gregor will be there all season and next as well and no way "Flanno" will be at the Dragons once he is cleared to coach again.
Just more fanciful and wishful thinking from people who are so dried out from this husk of an organisation that any drop of rain is seen as drought breaking.
PS: Gould is the ultimate schemer and will have other plans for "Flanno" especially if the Panthers have another misfiring year.
I’ve been told Gould has very little influence at the Panthers now.

redVinme

Bench
Supercoach is still listed as head coach, Flanno is an assistant, hence assisting the head coach. He's in charge of defense and whatever the head coach asks him to do, as any assistant would.
As I said, its probably why Mc85 is still there as the suspension stated Flanno cannof be a head coach for 2yrs, hence Mc85's current position.

Im not saying that he is. I'm saying that if anyone was to believe half that was written on here someone sure would suspect it's outside the strict guidelines supposedly enforced by the Nrl.

The only hope I have in this is the shepherd appointment but knowing our lot flanno has told them how good he is so he can replace Mary whilst he takes off for whichever team actually wants to try and win a comp.

BLM01

First Grade
Exactly. The only thing they can link Flanno to breaching anything if he is seen to be involved with recruitment.

BLM01

First Grade
Excellent post by you.
OT. Yeh who knows if Flanno will stay on but where you are wrong Mary will not be HC next year.

Latest posts