What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Nines - Everything you need to know

Perth Red

Post Whore
On a more positive note here’s the good things from my experience attending:

the crowd really got into it, lots of fancy dress, lots of good banter and conversation between fans in different jerseys including plenty of English SL jerseys on show. The atmosphere really picked up as the sun went down.

the merch on sale was really good, not only the club nines jerseys but Hawaiian shirts in club colours and the tropical themed nines gear was nice as well

plenty going on including a good food area with a dj and kids stuff, crowd giveaways music etc

the fan deciding the coin toss events were entertaining

the actual games were great entertainment, like watching RL in the 90’s

the women’s games were also very good and got the crowd cheering as loud as for the men’s

the players making themselves available for autographs and selfies was gold to see, lots of kids really enjoying g getting up close to their favourites

hbf stadium really is a good mid size stadium, the view from the main east stand is amazing if a little vertigo inducing! If the nrl ever get serious about expansion they should be in conversation with the WA govt to get the west stand replaced and the shed end extended. That would finish it off, take it up to around 27k and make it a superb compact stadium

Room for improvement

done to death but the scheduling was terrible. Saturday 1pm-8pm and Sunday 1pm-7pm would have seen much bigger crowds across the two days and allowed all teams to play three games

ticket price, whilst the $45/$75 admission won’t have put off the die hard RL fan it would be a deterrent to the causal sports fan attending. Even makes kids $5 would have helped having said that 75% of tickets were sold on the Saturday and I suspect it would have gone close to a sell out of the final day was a Sunday

Would have loved to see a WA invitational side in. Might have got hammered but still would have been great for the crowd

Improved viewing of the warm up area, would have been great to get up close to the teams as they were warming up

make all but the main stand GA. It’s good to be able to move around when your there for a few hours and means any last minute mates that want to come can sit together.

all in all it was an enjoyable day of fun RL, doubt we’ll see it in perth again due to the nrl’s incompetence but I can say I’ve been to one :)

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
"Ridiculous" to expect these Western Australians, who are whining for a team, to actually prove that there are more than a handful of RL supporters by attending RL games?

It's probably not the first time that you've been told but just in case you need reminding; you're not the sharpest tool in the shed Jimmy.

Didn't notice the 60k last year? Or the Sell out NRL games in the past?

But but but THIS one example is the definitive proof because it suits whatever rubbish agenda you're pushing.

Judging by your last statement you took that really well. Not a bad insult though, you'll probably be even better at them by the time you turn 15.

Legion

Juniors
you all seem to be missing the biggest issue which is after 8 years of being told turn up and show your support if you want an nrl team, we are all over that con trick. We’ve sold out hbf , we’ve sold out Optus, we’ve had 39k turn out for a double header, then we have the new chairman in his first public interview tell us we’re a waste of time. Wtf do you think RL fans in WA’s response was going to be? We could have sold out both days and we know it wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference. in a nutshell we are over the nrl’s BS and all this oh there’s no interest because they only sold 75% of tickets is just crap. Give us a club to get behind then judge the support level for a WA nrl fanbase. Otherwise laeave perth to the national sports.
Like many I’m over being taken for a ride. $75 for a pre season comp featuring mostly reserve graders, get fricked.
How many of the 39k travelled to the game from eastern states?

So you're all for Rugby League in W.A. as long as you don't have to put your hand in your own pocket. You're all good as long as others are paying. I see. Such commitment.

"Give us a club ..." So we're back to gimme gimme gimme. Uh-huh.
And when no-one shows up for games [except for die hard fans who've travelled west to watch THEIR team] because you all seem to only love RL from the comfort of an air-conditioned bar, what then?
Is that when you have a good laugh & say "Sucked in. You're stuck with us now"

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many of the 39k travelled to the game from eastern states?

So you're all for Rugby League in W.A. as long as you don't have to put your hand in your own pocket. You're all good as long as others are paying. I see. Such commitment.

"Give us a club ..." So we're back to gimme gimme gimme. Uh-huh.
And when no-one shows up for games [except for die hard fans who've travelled west to watch THEIR team] because you all seem to only love RL from the comfort of an air-conditioned bar, what then?
Is that when you have a good laugh & say "Sucked in. You're stuck with us now"

probably about 500. Sydney fans don’t travel across the city, can’t see many of them travelling across the country for a game!

When you consider 75% of saturdays tickets were sold at full price your argument that the crowd somehow represents no interest in RL in WA really doesn’t hold water. Like said above, it suits your agenda it wasn’t a sell out, if it had of been you’d no doubt be saying one game doesn’t count and a club playing regular games would be different. Heard it all before from the east coast flat cappers.

not sure what you mean by not willing to put my hand in my pocket? I was there yesterday, as I have been at all the nrl events and games held in perth over the last decade, more fool me really.

what do you mean by give us a club? I’ve laid out many times the advantages to the game of having a WA team, yes give us a club and let’s grow this great game of ours whilst we have the likes of Cummins willing to put millions in and a WA govt that is very RL friendly. Eventually these windows of opportunity will close, but that’s RL for you. After a lifetime of supporting the game in two hemispheres if there is one thing I’ve learnt is that it doesn’t like change and lacks any strategic vision for what it could be. But hey Vlandys is all about tribalism and suburban grounds, good luck with that growing the game lol.

Last edited:

Legion

Juniors
Didn't notice the 60k last year? Or the Sell out NRL games in the past?

But but but THIS one example is the definitive proof because it suits whatever rubbish agenda you're pushing.

Judging by your last statement you took that really well. Not a bad insult though, you'll probably be even better at them by the time you turn 15.
"60k"? Hate to be the one to tell you this Jimmy but most of the crowd had travelled from eastern states.

"whatever rubbish agenda you're pushing"? no Jimmy, I'm not the one pushing to start a team on the other side of the country in Aussie Rules territory. I'm just pointing out what should be obvious for those with more than half a clue. So for your benefit [you're welcome] it's a very bad idea Jimmy. Very bad indeed.

Now if you're having a problem comprehending why it's such a terrible idea, you need to ask your mummy to explain because I've run out of crayons to explain it any simpler.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"60k"? Hate to be the one to tell you this Jimmy but most of the crowd had travelled from eastern states.

"whatever rubbish agenda you're pushing"? no Jimmy, I'm not the one pushing to start a team on the other side of the country in Aussie Rules territory. I'm just pointing out what should be obvious for those with more than half a clue. So for your benefit [you're welcome] it's a very bad idea Jimmy. Very bad indeed.

Now if you're having a problem comprehending why it's such a terrible idea, you need to ask your mummy to explain because I've run out of crayons to explain it any simpler.

it was Estimated 10k interstate travellers, but yeh whatever.
It’s a terrible idea for small suburban clubs who will have their futures called into question if perth takes off and becomes a powerhouse more like. Nothing stunts future growth like today’s insecurity.

Legion

Juniors
probably about 500. Sydney fans don’t travel across the city, can’t see many of them travelling across the country for a game!

When you consider 75% of saturdays tickets were sold at full price your argument that the crowd somehow represents no interest in RL in WA really doesn’t hold water. Like said above, it suits your agenda it wasn’t a sell out, if it had of been you’d no doubt be saying one game doesn’t count and a club playing regular games would be different. Heard it all before from the east coast flat cappers.

not sure what you mean by not willing to put my hand in my pocket? I was there yesterday, as I have been at all the nrl events and games held in perth over the last decade, more fool me really.

what do you mean by give us a club? I’ve laid out many times the advantages to the game of having a WA team, yes give us a club and let’s grow this great game of ours whilst we have the likes of Cummins willing to put millions in and a WA govt that is very RL friendly. Eventually these windows of opportunity will close, but that’s RL for you. After a lifetime of supporting the game in two hemispheres if there is one thing I’ve learnt is that it doesn’t like change and lacks any strategic vision for what it could be. But hey Vlandys is all about tribalism and suburban grounds, good luck with that growing the game lol.

That's correct Red, one game certainly does not count. You're learning. Good for you.

What is a "flat capper"?

You were at the game? Good to see that someone showed up.
"More fool you"? Why are you belly-aching about the price if you say you enjoyed yourself?
If a pint of beer really is $12 [hope that's for decent beer from the east, not that swill ... what's it called, Emu Lager? Ugh .... better than the water I guess] then $75 for two days of the best entertainment that Perth has seen in a long time is a bargain.
You're really hard to please Red.

The quicker any slightly ajar window of opportunity is closed, hammered shut, never to be spoken of again, the better for everyone & the game itself.

Although I do admire your passion, it's nothing more than a case of wishful thinking. Like hinting to your kid that a pony is not beyond the realm of possibility when you live in an inner-city apartment. That would be cruel.
Don't do this to yourself Red. It's not going to happen.
Just be grateful that your favourite air-conditioned bar has a large screen moving picture box where you can watch the best footy competition in the world : )

mistertaylor

Juniors
Applogies if this has been addressed elsewhere in the thread, I can't be ars*d scrolling back through 11 pages of comments, but...

1. Why on earth would they not schedule the 9s for Saturday and Sunday?

2. Why only 2 pool games per team???

mongoose

Coach
"whatever rubbish agenda you're pushing"? no Jimmy, I'm not the one pushing to start a team on the other side of the country in Aussie Rules territory. .

hahaha so it's "waaaah Perf loves AFL more than my sport, waaaah"

f**king grow a pair..

jim_57

Staff member

It took you 15 minutes to come up with this?

You really think 30k+ people plus traveled for Origin? Delusional, maybe 10-15k at best. The rest of your post follows much the same path.

But this is the same person making Mummy jokes. Nice rant though, keep huffing and puffing and it might be and all time great meltdown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's correct Red, one game certainly does not count. You're learning. Good for you.

What is a "flat capper"?

You were at the game? Good to see that someone showed up.
"More fool you"? Why are you belly-aching about the price if you say you enjoyed yourself?
If a pint of beer really is $12 [hope that's for decent beer from the east, not that swill ... what's it called, Emu Lager? Ugh .... better than the water I guess] then $75 for two days of the best entertainment that Perth has seen in a long time is a bargain.
You're really hard to please Red.

The quicker any slightly ajar window of opportunity is closed, hammered shut, never to be spoken of again, the better for everyone & the game itself.

Although I do admire your passion, it's nothing more than a case of wishful thinking. Like hinting to your kid that a pony is not beyond the realm of possibility when you live in an inner-city apartment. That would be cruel.
Don't do this to yourself Red. It's not going to happen.
Just be grateful that your favourite air-conditioned bar has a large screen moving picture box where you can watch the best footy competition in the world : )

it was $75 for the day, it wasnt bad value as it turned out but would t know that beforehand, the point was it would deter the less determined rl fan or sports casual. Not as much as 4pm valentines night but still. Pints range from $8-12 depending on the establishment you are at.
I gave up hope in 2013, I have no doubts it will be a very long time, if ever NRL expands behinds it’s heartlands, it’s just not that well run a sport sadly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Applogies if this has been addressed elsewhere in the thread, I can't be ars*d scrolling back through 11 pages of comments, but...

1. Why on earth would they not schedule the 9s for Saturday and Sunday?

2. Why only 2 pool games per team???

simple, nrl are dumb twats, next question?
In fact most answers to questions of why the nrl screw things up can be answered by this.

Latest posts