What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Nines - Everything you need to know

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is this still a thing or has it COVID finished it off?
One of those random on and off things nrl does. Shame I enjoyed the one in perth. Maybe with RLWC on they’ve decided not to run it next year. Might be back ‘24 if someone pays to host it. Hopefully next time they plan it for local fans, not for tv like last one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
World Nines is a better idea
yeh but when do you play it? Not fair to ask clubs in Northern hemi to release players in pre season training to come over for it, especially as their season starts earlier. Wouldn't want to use any of the rare space we have for proper tests at end of season for it. Not sure where you can fit a worlds nines in?

I suppose you could have a southern hemi nines pre season with an invitational Europe side made up of players eligible for European teams who play in NRL, first nations teams and male and female teams to pad it out and play it in NZ, but think club nines would be more attractive to fans.

Southern Hemi Nines
Aus
NZ
Tonga
Samoa
PNG
Fiji
Cook Is
Europe
Maori
First Nations

MugaB

Coach
yeh but when do you play it? Not fair to ask clubs in Northern hemi to release players in pre season training to come over for it, especially as their season starts earlier. Wouldn't want to use any of the rare space we have for proper tests at end of season for it. Not sure where you can fit a worlds nines in?

I suppose you could have a southern hemi nines pre season with an invitational Europe side made up of players eligible for European teams who play in NRL, first nations teams and male and female teams to pad it out and play it in NZ, but think club nines would be more attractive to fans.

Southern Hemi Nines
Aus
NZ
Tonga
Samoa
PNG
Fiji
Cook Is
Europe
Maori
First Nations
Actually i like either or even both, club 9s one year, world 9s in another, best to do this once every 2 years so that its not conflicting with an actual RL world cup, but doing it PR way gives you the opportunity to have a play off on a southern vs northern hemisphere....

Also gives opportunity to let star players like tedesco play for italy or aus etc

yakstorm

First Grade
I'm surprised the NRL hasn't tried taking the Auckland 9s model and tried doing it at Suncorp.

The format for Perth was terrible, with 8 mini-pools of 2, and was made worse by ridiculous kick off times and a Friday/Saturday schedule.

How they actually drew any crowd shows there is a reasonably sized RL supporter base in Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm surprised the NRL hasn't tried taking the Auckland 9s model and tried doing it at Suncorp.

The format for Perth was terrible, with 8 mini-pools of 2, and was made worse by ridiculous kick off times and a Friday/Saturday schedule.

How they actually drew any crowd shows there is a reasonably sized RL supporter base in Perth.
Starting at 4pm on a Friday valentines night is just so nrl lol. If it had been held sat/sun the 25k crowd it got would have been 30-35k, especially if they had actually advertised the bloody thing In Perth!

Nuke

Staff member
Exactly. I remember seeing a few bus stop posters promoting the NRL Nines ... but nothing else. Promotion in Perth was terrible.
And yeah, 4pm Friday arvo kick-off was just idiotic. Saturday-Sunday just makes all the sense in the world.