What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

The unknown

Juniors
He is nowhere near Mbye at this point in his career when it comes to a spot in the centres. He is a slow smallish outside back. I'd love us to trade him for Grant this season.

I actually like him as well and it'll be interesting how his career develops. I also think he is massively overrated via Tigers supporters.

This same smallish outside back scored 10 tries in 8 games compared to Mbyes 1 try in 17 games. I know stats aren’t the be all and end all but surely you want your outside backs finding the line more often than not

to sY he is nowhere near Mbye in the centre’s is a bit ignorant

Tiger05

First Grade
This same smallish outside back scored 10 tries in 8 games compared to Mbyes 1 try in 17 games. I know stats aren’t the be all and end all but surely you want your outside backs finding the line more often than not

It's an opinion and we are allowed different opinions but I honestly think the reverse is true. If you watch them both play Mbye looks to me significantly better. He is a better defender, faster and has a better passing game.

In stating all of that Momo does tend to find the try line. Maybe he is Jason Nightingale like in his ability. A guy who doesn't have the best physical attributes but he kills it consistently.

I'd like to see Momo become a good regular first grader and on a cost basis I'd also choose Momo over Mbye but when the cost doesn't matter I think you have to pick the better player and to me it's clearly Mbye.

Mbye though just seems to be one of those players fans don't like.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
It's an opinion and we are allowed different opinions but I honestly think the reverse is true. If you watch them both play Mbye looks to me significantly better. He is a better defender, faster and has a better passing game.

In stating all of that Momo does tend to find the try line. Maybe he is Jason Nightingale like in his ability. A guy who doesn't have the best physical attributes but he kills it consistently.

I'd like to see Momo become a good regular first grader and on a cost basis I'd also choose Momo over Mbye but when the cost doesn't matter I think you have to pick the better player and to me it's clearly Mbye.

We don't like him (Mbye) because he plain ol' sucks!

I hope he turns his form around, but Momo and BJ should start in the centres I reckon. Mbye can fill in at dummy half.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
We don't like him (Mbye) because he plain ol' sucks!

I hope he turns his form around, but Momo and BJ should start in the centres I reckon. Mbye can fill in at dummy hald.

I think this is what is going to happen but I also think we'd be better off with the trade deal going through.

The unknown

Juniors

If he is significantly better then why can he not nail down a position? It’s not like it’s his first positional change. The dogs couldn’t wait to get rid of him and they seem to be better off

Tiger Ted

Bench
He is nowhere near Mbye at this point in his career when it comes to a spot in the centres. He is a slow smallish outside back. I'd love us to trade him for Grant this season.

I actually like him as well and it'll be interesting how his career develops. I also think he is massively overrated via Tigers supporters.
Since when is 6ft 3 smallish.Momo is both bigger physically & tougher than the peaheart mbye.Without being brilliant & this early in his career he has already surpassed Mbye as an outside back.Nobody is massively overrating him we just perceive the obvious that momo
was an asset to us in his 1st season & he has enormous upside whereas the timid liability Mbye is treading water re his career.If Mbye was a decent outside back u can b rest assured Madge wouldn’t b playing him at hooker.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Mbyes career try scoring rate is appalling.He offers nothing in attack or defence.The Dogs were doing cartwheels when cleary & Pascoe removed the major liability from their books.

BrotherJim05

Bench
IMO Difference between Momo and Mbye is that Momo is an out and out centre who can find the try line. No messing about with "ball playing skills" or "utility value", he's a tall, reasonably paced outside back. Mbye has been in FG a while and I still don't think anyone knows what his best position is. I'd rather lock Momo down in a centre spot and watch him excel into a quality centre

The unknown

Juniors
Mbyes career try scoring rate is appalling.He offers nothing in attack or defence.The Dogs were doing cartwheels when cleary & Pascoe removed the major liability from their books.

It’s something like 20 tries in his entire career, shit I reckon big Keithy Galloway had a better strike rate than that !

Tiger Ted

Bench
my moneys on grub aswell imo. Madge wouldn’t have made mdud captain to play reserve grade
I’ve got grub ahead of Mbye in the pecking order however as u said it’s inconceivable the dud captain would b chosen to play reserve grade.Its been a mystery to me as to y Madge elected to pick the hoax as captain.

The unknown

Juniors
I’ve got grub ahead of Mbye in the pecking order however as u said it’s inconceivable the dud captain would b chosen to play reserve grade.Its been a mystery to me as to y Madge elected to pick the hoax as captain.

could be wrong but I reckon it’s because he is a cool & calm collected fella and is less likely to blow up at a dud ref call. Still I’d rather footy ability over Mr nice guy anyday when it comes to my team

Tiger05

First Grade
If he is significantly better then why can he not nail down a position? It’s not like it’s his first positional change. The dogs couldn’t wait to get rid of him and they seem to be better off

I think his problem is that he is good in a lot of positions. For instance I reckon he is better than Reynolds in every position and better than Momo in the centres.

He was picked for SOO and he didn't look terrible in that environment.

Tiger05

First Grade
Since when is 6ft 3 smallish.Momo is both bigger physically & tougher than the peaheart mbye.Without being brilliant & this early in his career he has already surpassed Mbye as an outside back.Nobody is massively overrating him we just perceive the obvious that momo
was an asset to us in his 1st season & he has enormous upside whereas the timid liability Mbye is treading water re his career.If Mbye was a decent outside back u can b rest assured Madge wouldn’t b playing him at hooker.

That height isn't small but he isn't a quick or big centre. I don't think he is anywhere near Mbye at the moment in the centres but I do think he is doing a decent job.

I think anyone stating he is bigger and tougher and better than Mbye as an outside back is massively overrating him.

I also agree that Mbye is treading water in his career and he had better be careful. I also think madge has made it pretty clear that he rates Mbye a lot higher than Momo at the moment. He has Mbye as our captain and is trying to trade Momo for a 9 because he would prefer to play Mbye in the centres.

I think my opinion and Madge's opinion are pretty aligned. Mbye is the best option right now but he isn't getting a big contract again unless he improves a lot. Momo is a potential long term option especially as he won't get the top dollars as he isn't a top dollar player.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'd rather lock Momo down in a centre spot and watch him excel into a quality centre

Maybe he will become a quality centre but we don't know. I also think that both ideas can be true. Mbye is the better option today but when it comes to putting a team on the park that is under the salary cap Momo might be a good long term option.

Tiger05

First Grade

It's pretty simple. Mbye is currently one of our better players and grub has been terrible for us. I mean you can't honestly state that Mbye isn't as good as Reynolds. Mbye is worth 20 times grubs asking price at least.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I think his problem is that he is good in a lot of positions. For instance I reckon he is better than Reynolds in every position and better than Momo in the centres.

I'd say that's exactly how he looked, i.e. terrible, when he gifted NSW the win on the final play of the 3rd game by chasing down Fergo's run at snail's pace before slipping over on his own shoelaces, allowing Tedesco a saloon passage to the try line.

Enough with the overrating of our glorious co-captain please. Good guy no doubt. Hasn't shown much on the field lately.

Now read what Trollhammaren wrote, he was bloody terrible.

JR was picked for SOO and he didn't look terrible in that environment, in fact, NSW won the series, just saying