What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full-time 'pitch invasions'

langpark

First Grade
I noticed the crowd was let onto the field after the All-Stars match. Also, it used to be an obligatory ritual on Grand Final day. Somewhere (I think) in the early 90s though, it seems it suddenly stopped happening. Does anyone know why?

I think it is a great thing and would love it if they brought it back!

TIGER14

Bench
Leichhardt Oval allowed it last year. Depends on whoever runs the ground I suppose.

T-Boon

Coach
There would be lame reasons against it like security risks or damage to the field. But absolutely it should be a thing the fan who attends the game gets that the fat lounge lizards do not get.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One of the other reasons they stopped it was so tv could interview players on the pitch at the whistle. Also some teams do a lap after the final whistle to thank and meet fans.

One of the other reasons they stopped it was so tv could interview players on the pitch at the whistle. Also some teams do a lap after the final whistle to thank and meet fans.

Yep good point. Remember the days of a race to the corner posts, players etc as soon as the fulltime hooter blew. Remember seeing Wally Lewis absolutely mobbed at Shark Park after a game once. Dead set was on the ground for at least 20 minutes after the game.

Don't think they'll ever let the crowd on again as soon as full time blows, But do reckon the crowd should be allowed on the ground after the players have left. Fun for the kids, costs nothing, and also helps the crowd filter out of the ground far better after a game.

grozzy

Juniors
They don't do it all the time at Sharks, but usually several times mainly afternoon games. They have a second siren when the cameras are packed up and everything is safe.
This isn't unusual for most clubs, even the AFL do it.

langpark

First Grade
Great to hear it is still happening. Ideally, I prefer the moment the full-time whistle blew for fans to be able to run on, I just love the pandemonium and passion that goes with it.

Great to hear it is still happening. Ideally, I prefer the moment the full-time whistle blew for fans to be able to run on, I just love the pandemonium and passion that goes with it.

I suspect it has more to do with player safety than anything else. In this day and age I could imagine some idiot deciding to physically attack a player they didn't like if they were allowed on the field at full time "like in the old days".

grozzy

Juniors
They have to be very careful these days. A few years ago one of the Sharks player's kids got hit by a golf cart packing up the pads. He was ok, but could have been much worse

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I saw an old game on Youtube recently, NZ Vs GB at Palmerston North, I'm sure they crowd starting invading before full time with a few seconds left.

Times have changed, although Bankwest allows people on the ground 10 or 20 minutes after full time which is great.

gUt

Coach
Pretty sure it's still done at Brookie after every game. If not, it only very recently changed.

It's not like that stinking morass could get any more damaged. If a couple of kids get lost sinking into the surface it might fertilise the grass a bit.

Mind you old Sandcorp probably isn't much better to be fair, that's when it's not underwater.

kdalymc

Bench
Does anyone know why?
its obvious why.

i went to Lockyers last game which they advertised as "get on the field with Locky".
Full time buzzer went, Locky waved, had a shower, got a limo home all before we were allowed on the field. Was shit

langpark

First Grade
I suspect it has more to do with player safety than anything else. In this day and age I could imagine some idiot deciding to physically attack a player they didn't like if they were allowed on the field at full time "like in the old days".
Yep, I fully understand that. So many things have been ruined because of a 'lone idiot' and this is probably one of them.