What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

NRLMad

Juniors
Lomax is a steady player who needs time. Stop knocking him he’s a solid option. Ramsey is really fast but so was dufty. Ramsey might also be a liability in defence.

True_Believer

Juniors
His future may we’ll be 3 but let’s find out about 1 first
We had the chance to slot him at 3 and we denied ourselves that opportunity so let’s not piss him off even more
The kid negotiated a deal which looks like it included the no 1 jumper and so far he had had 2 trials with a lot of player movement up front of him and he has made a couple of mistakes not earth shattering or season ending
Let’s discuss this rationally after 6 real games and see where he is at and base our judgement on proper evidence.

I'm not taking about any mistakes he made on the weekend. That's going to happen and that's fine. I'm more referring to him as a player and what I've seen of him. He just doesn't strike me as a long term fullback.

I really do hope he proves me wrong as we do need someone to take that spot with both hands and make a real good fist of it. And as I said, happy for him to have a good crack. I just don't want to leave it too late to make a change in there if there is the possibility of giving someone more suited to the role a chance. It's a double edged sword.

SaintPauli

Juniors
At this stage he is a great goal kicker!
First 4 rounds will tell in his improvement in first grade.

He deserves a go to improve and catch bombs for now, though in failing I would slot Sailor there.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I hope Ramsey is our next superstar but what, other than blistering speed did he show in the 9’s to show he is our next fullback? We haven’t seen him in an NRL 13’s game yet where he will be tested a lot more than what he saw at the 9’s.

Not trying to be negative but we need to see a lot more of Ramsey before we declare him our next fullback.
You are right but there is something about Ramsey that's hard to put a finger on. I guess if could sum it up he looks completely fearless. He jumps up for the ball in heavy traffic with absolutely no sense of self preservation. When Lomax or Dufty jump up you can see they look nervous but he seems to be not overthinking it. Plus he's a rough country boy, so he's probably got a solid work ethic. He is pretty skinny and wouldn't last a season of NRL just yet especially at fullback but I think give him a year and he may be pushing Lomax to the centres. Lomax and Wiliame looks a lot more reassuring to me than Aitken and Lafai.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
FMD people talking about Lomax lack of X factor or attacking ability are you serious?
There isn’t 1 player in our entire team that has that which you demand from the youngest player in the team but has the most upside.
We have an over rated team that presents no dramas in attack against competent teams
We are a team that defends poorly especially key players like Norman, Hunt, Aitken
We are a team that crabs sideways yes and now that Widdop is gone the true fact if how our attack (if you can call it that) is coached is truly evident.
The knockers should shut the f**k up, give the kid a proper chance and stop pinning all our hopes on him.
He isn’t responsible for the shit players we signed that stifle our team and get picked every week.
I’d rather Lomax at 1 than Aitken at 3 or Norman at 6 or Hunt at 7 or Graham at 10.
Good post, typical St George merchants of doom, how can we ever develop a junior if one trial game they are already written off? I remember very clearly Darius struggling big time in his first year, dropping bombs looking average the following year he won the CC in the GF. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old Timer

Coach
Good post, typical St George merchants of doom, how can we ever develop a junior if one trial game they are already written off? I remember very clearly Darius struggling big time in his first year, dropping bombs looking average the following year he won the CC in the GF. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Justin Hodges whilst a grub turned out a pretty handy player after a bad debut at club & SOO level.
Lockyer wasn’t an instant success either turned out ok though.
No problems for us though after 2 trials Lomax is a dud and Williams & Fuimaino are fantastic.
Gotta love this place lol

rasaint

Juniors
Darius Boyd was always very good and had genuine high end speed from the moment he arrived at the dragons in 2009. I clearly recalled his fearless kick returns charging at the opposition full tilt. It is true he didn’t score a lot of tries from fullback ( he did with the Broncos from the wing position.) I also agree that he was even better in 2010.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Darius Boyd was always very good and had genuine high end speed from the moment he arrived at the dragons in 2009. I clearly recalled his fearless kick returns charging at the opposition full tilt. It is true he didn’t score a lot of tries from fullback ( he did with the Broncos from the wing position.) I also agree that he was even better in 2010.
He dropped bombs galore, he was even swapped with Brett Morris for a while and everyone on the Facebook group I was on were calling for his head even me personally was adamant BMoz was our long term 1, I was wrong. He hadn't yet developed his passing game yet until the the end of 2009. He was faster than Lomax, his ball catching was about the same, Zac is bigger and has a better passing game for this stage of his career. They both have positives and negatives. He had an awesome trial vs the Knights and a bad one vs the Rabbits. Kid needs time and deserves time.

Crush

Coach
He dropped bombs galore, he was even swapped with Brett Morris for a while and everyone on the Facebook group I was on were calling for his head even me personally was adamant BMoz was our long term 1, I was wrong. He hadn't yet developed his passing game yet until the the end of 2009. He was faster than Lomax, his ball catching was about the same, Zac is bigger and has a better passing game for this stage of his career. They both have positives and negatives. He had an awesome trial vs the Knights and a bad one vs the Rabbits. Kid needs time and deserves time.
I actually didn't see the trial against Knights as awesome nor did I see the Rabbits trial as bad. I just saw Zac doing a decent job in both trials.
Just as he did when playing in various other positions last year.
Thats my point, he seems to he a decent footballer.
Is that enough though as a fullback in the modern game?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I actually didn't see the trial against Knights as awesome nor did I see the Rabbits trial as bad. I just saw Zac doing a decent job in both trials.
Just as he did when playing in various other positions last year.
Thats my point, he seems to he a decent footballer.
Is that enough though as a fullback in the modern game?
Im not sure, but I have seen some X factor in him. Mostly in his highlights reel, He seems to have a really good passing game plus is good at contesting high attacking kicks. He can step off both feet and has put on plenty of size. His speed is definitely a question mark as his confidence at defending kicks. I guess what im saying is he trained all season at fullback, and I personally think we should give him at least 2 months before we write him off. Mary will live and die by his decisions remember. I personally would throw Ramsey straight in there and play Lomax at centre but I don't have Bennett like patience so im using he or Robbo as a benchmark.

gitano

Juniors
Horrendous performance from Lomax yet again.

Still yet to show he can handle NRL level.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Horrendous performance from Lomax yet again.

Still yet to show he can handle NRL level.

Pretty harsh assessment there.

While Lomax made some glaring errors, he also did a few good things such as cleaning up kicks, good positional play and effective goal line defence. I’d argue that he has demonstrated a capability for first grade; he’s simply not a fullback though.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I get Lomax is young. Going back when we had Luke the general Patton he wasn't riddled with as many errors yet we let him go due to size.

Lomax needs serious bomb catching practise. Do we have coaches doing that? Or is it only about the "d" ?

Tonight showed its not only about the "d"

rasaint

Juniors
All as I hear
is ...there are plenty worse than Zac / he is the least of our problems
... Zac is a work in progress
...Zac is semi competent
...Zac is a steady player
... Zac negotiated a deal to be fullback
...Zac is learning and may be more than capable
... Zac’s height may be an X factor
... Zac reminds us of a young Dugan
...Zac doesn’t have to be a superstar but be adequate for the position
...Zac needs a proper chance / stop pinning our hopes on him.
... Zac is in high demand from other clubs

My view remains that Zac is an ok centre, tackles competently. He is an outstanding goal kicker.

His attack is unremarkable and have never seen him in 1 grade break tackles and run a distance to score tries. Has a sharp jump side step which looks good but the opposition have had it worked out for a long time.

We have Zac on the books at a reported $500 to $600k per season for next 5years. He is an excellent negotiator.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I get Lomax is young. Going back when we had Luke the general Patton he wasn't riddled with as many errors yet we let him go due to size.

Lomax needs serious bomb catching practise. Do we have coaches doing that? Or is it only about the "d" ?

Tonight showed its not only about the "d"
This is the biggest issue for me, he doesn't have a mentor. Tommy T had Stewart for example. His mentor is Dufty a player I actually like but also one that hasn't help every bomb ever put up to him.

thebigredv

First Grade
All as I hear
...Zac is semi competent

My view remains that Zac is an ok centre, tackles competently. He is an outstanding goal kicker.

His attack is unremarkable and have never seen him in 1 grade break tackles and run a distance to score tries. Has a sharp jump side step which looks good but the opposition have had it worked out for a long time.

We have Zac on the books at a reported $500 to $600k per season for next 5years. He is an excellent negotiator.
Hate to say it but it's how I see it too. Happy to leave him there until Mary gets the sack. Maybe the next guy will help him realise his potential although he might just end up with our halves and centres on the certified duds list.

gitano

Juniors
All as I hear
...Zac is semi competent

He's an over hyped junior who can't handle first grade.

Dud.