What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50% salary cap dispensation for Union converts ?

Danish

Referee
They’ll either suck, or as proven mercenaries will simply use our code as a stepping stone to even bigger money in English/French rugby.

No thanks

MugaB

Coach
They’ll either suck, or as proven mercenaries will simply use our code as a stepping stone to even bigger money in English/French rugby.

No thanks
I'd have say yes, but only a concession to any new expansion franchise, like a Perth, Adelaide, NZ2, Brisbane2, Brisbane3, but never to any existing NRL clubs, or they'll all just rort the cap.
Not sure if Toronto had a similar cap relief when they joined 1st grade this year, but it would help a start up expansion team without overly hurting RU and RL, and give a new club a slight advantage atleast for the 1st season or 2, then the doors should be shut. As most who have posted here agree too many mercs looking to step on league, i mean if Western Force and twiggy were ever approached to convert the whole team, i don't really have an issue with that, or a bulk of the All blacks sign onto another South Island NZ team, i'd be ok with that too, in a few seasons rosters get overhauled with new talent, and as long a new club gets a foothold in to their sporting city market, it may be a nice and easy road to expansion, especially since RU isn't doing so well.
Don't forget RU doesn't have the immense back and forth regarding the 10metres every play the ball, fatigue will make Ex RU players more easier to run around, just because their good at Rugby, doesnt mean theyll be better at league, Israel Falou played in both codes, and is killing it in ESL, but NRL is a far more Demanding competition.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
F*ck this is a bad idea, it is just telling players that if they want to make heaps of money, got to Union them switch...

It would be better to POTENTIALLY offer them stacks of cash if they turn up and prove themselves (like NRL players heading to the NFL). For that, put loads into the Rep player payments and dont give them the money until they prove that they are worth it.

So far, this Kiwi guy is just a big name. If thats all we want from a signing, then extend this to the twigs from the VFL. Theyre famous to

Matua

Bench

No thanks
That comment makes no sense ... if Ardie Savea wanted big bucks in NH rugby he'd just sign a contract with them right now while his stocks are high.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
How is Toronto going?

To be fair they seem to think one player makes a team.

McCrone is half...FFS. Kata is a super rugby winner.

Some would make it.

However the kiwis and saffas love the shyte.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
No need to offer these sorts of incentives when they won't have much of a choice soon enough. If the likes of Ponga want to f**k off to play for the All Blacks, let them. It's not like they will be convinced by money or facilities.

nick87

Coach
If RU players want to come and test themselves in a superior code and a superior level of competition, i welcome them with open arms. I want as many talented people in our game as we can get

If they have to take a pay cut to do so, that's up to them to decide. Im certainly not keen to subsidise them to come and play for a big market club on the cheap.

Either they're happy earning the money they earn and playing the game they play, or they want to come and try and go toe to toe in the best rugby/rugby league competition in the world, and the market will determine their worth

Danish

Referee
That comment makes no sense ... if Ardie Savea wanted big bucks in NH rugby he'd just sign a contract with them right now while his stocks are high.

exactly. Hence why such a system would never attract a class player

Matua

Bench
exactly. Hence why such a system would never attract a class player
I actually don't understand want your point is TBH. But, if we're just looking at the case of Ardie he could make big bucks up north right now and if he went to the NRL it would be for the challenge not money.

Are you saying that the NRL would never attract a player of Ardie's class due to that system?

gUt

Coach
I'd much rather save the money and pillage all of their talent in the juniors.

In Qld at least Rugby's old Catholic School nursery is gradually turning to league. There are simply more pathway options available for talented players.

jim_57

Staff member
Obviously any such rule would have to come with a stipulation to stop an NRL player going to Union for 4 minutes then coming back.

x% off salary cap for the first 2 years for any player who hasn't played professional rugby league past the age of 18.

x% off salary cap for players who haven't played Rugby League for 3 or more years.

Not sure it would be widely used but it wouldn't really hurt to have it in there.

gUt

Coach
I wonder what coaching developments may occur in league to necessitate the recruitment of fat bastards rolling around in the mud and/or standing around doing nothing for 80 minutes.

Matua

Bench
I wonder what coaching developments may occur in league to necessitate the recruitment of fat bastards rolling around in the mud and/or standing around doing nothing for 80 minutes.
I love how this place can take me back to the mindset of my extremely early childhood in the 70s.

TheDalek079

Bench
I think it would have to be done on a case by case basis. If the NRL think it would be a big benefit having that player join the comp, then sure. But if it's a fringe wallaby that the casual fan doesn't really know, then no concession. Also if Ardie does come, then a team like the Roosters or Storm shouldn't be allowed the exemption. His signing would be a boost for the Warriors in terms of marketing so they should be allowed to get the exemption

Danish

Referee
I actually don't understand want your point is TBH. But, if we're just looking at the case of Ardie he could make big bucks up north right now and if he went to the NRL it would be for the challenge not money.

Are you saying that the NRL would never attract a player of Ardie's class due to that system?

class players won’t take the necessary pay cut to have a go at league.

no good club would pay any union player even half of what they could make in Europe, and probably 30% or more less than super rugby. So that puts paid to any class player coming.

players don’t take giant pay cuts in the name of a “challenge”, and clubs don’t pay an untried union player an established NRL star salary.

it’s a pointless exercise. At best some over the hill or not great union player will dupe some middling club out of too much of their money, bomb, and end up back in union a couple seasons later

Matua

Bench
class players won’t take the necessary pay cut to have a go at league.

no good club would pay any union player even half of what they could make in Europe, and probably 30% or more less than super rugby. So that puts paid to any class player coming.

players don’t take giant pay cuts in the name of a “challenge”, and clubs don’t pay an untried union player an established NRL star salary.

it’s a pointless exercise. At best some over the hill or not great union player will dupe some middling club out of too much of their money, bomb, and end up back in union a couple seasons later
Ah, all good, I understand your points now, and mostly agree with them. Now I'm just confused by your lack of capital letters. :p

Matua

Bench
I think it would have to be done on a case by case basis. If the NRL think it would be a big benefit having that player join the comp, then sure. But if it's a fringe wallaby that the casual fan doesn't really know, then no concession. Also if Ardie does come, then a team like the Roosters or Storm shouldn't be allowed the exemption. His signing would be a boost for the Warriors in terms of marketing so they should be allowed to get the exemption
Look, I found Ardie's comments offensive and disloyal to the organisation that pays his bills, but even I don't think he should be punished to that extent for making them.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Reward the union converts over the young Stars coming through the system....................i think not in a million years.