What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

gordsy

Juniors
CT - 178cm
MM - 180cm
Nofo- 182cm
TT - 189cm
AD - 191cm
RJ - 192cm

180cm is 6 foot, so while he is the smallest, he is NOT that small. Its more about the ability to jump. He is however guaranteed of having a go?
As the missus says 4cms is a big difference

Seriously though point taken.

WA Tiger

Bench

Phil Gould

Juniors
This is the same criticism Willie Mason had about Aiden Tolman. You probably wouldn't consider Cam Murray a good prop either. But these style of middle forwards make a ton of tackles, make metres through the middle, find their front foot and get a quick play the ball.

It's not as flashy as winding up and smashing into the line sending people flying like skittles, but it's an important when it comes to laying a platform for the rest of the team to play off the back of.

Personally, I reckon you need a mix of both types of props, like Potter did when he had Marty and Gavet coming off the bench as impact props to replace Woods and Galloway.
Twal is a workhorse and doesn’t make stupid mistakes, I think he’s good as part of the right mix, as you said.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Twal's job isn't to make a big impact. He's a workhorse. Long minutes, lots of tackles, hit ups and no errors. Players like Mikale and Musgrove are the ones who will be making impact by denting the line, getting a sneaky offload or tackle bust but it comes at the risk of errors and reduced minutes

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Twal is a role player isn't he. He is the most easily replaced out of the guys we have playing in the middle now. We need Aloiai, MIkaele and Musgrove's hit-ups to dent the line and get us going forward.

I think Mikaele especially has a couple of mistakes in his game. Aloiai gasses as well. Musgrove at this point hasn't shown the same weaknesses but it's a long season and let's see how they go.

WA Tiger

Bench
CT - 178cm
MM - 180cm
Nofo- 182cm
TT - 189cm
AD - 191cm
RJ - 192cm

180cm is 6 foot, so while he is the smallest, he is NOT that small. Its more about the ability to jump. He is however guaranteed of having a go?
Thommo is likely to concede try’s on the wing because of his lack of height esp with the regular high ball maestros competing and the teams that have a pin point kickers.Thankfully it’s a tough kick to nail but some kickers can’t miss on their day...The only time he could win the contest is because he’s fearless and his timing is better than the other guy and he just refuses to be beat which I’ve seen happen a bit...but yes it could be an issue..maybe this is another reason why Madge is reluctant to to put him on the wing. I’ve never rated him on the wing but he’s had his moments and his defence wherever he plays can be outrageous (good) Madge will put him on the wing as a last resort.

The unknown

Juniors
Me personally, Id play Twal at Lock - 80 min player, great defensively and can take a hit up.

Rather than a 60 min barge player, Id rather we use the interchange for a bigger body.

Can Twal ball play though? locks these days are like having another playmaker

stryker

First Grade
I don’t like Twal at Prop but I think most of u do . I’m not a forward expert I played in the backs so maybe Im missing something. To me he’s too small and doesn’t bend the line or intimidate. You know all the stuff you’d expect from a prop. Reminds me of Packer
Nah not like Packer. Twal has great defensive technique and timing. His ineffective tackle stats are very low. I agree he doesnt bend the line and thats why id have him at lock, cleaning the ruck and taking the third hitup in a set.

Tiger05

First Grade
Can Twal ball play though? locks these days are like having another playmaker

I can't see Aloiai ball playing and he appears to be the guy who is going to get the lock role. I'm not sure if Twal could go 80 minutes and I don't think it matters if he is named at lock or prop. Taylor and Eisenhuth can ball play a little but they basically all just play like middle forwards.

The unknown

Juniors
I can't see Aloiai ball playing and he appears to be the guy who is going to get the lock role. I'm not sure if Twal could go 80 minutes and I don't think it matters if he is named at lock or prop. Taylor and Eisenhuth can ball play a little but they basically all just play like middle forwards.

Yeah not saying it’s a must, but all the top 4 teams last year had a lock that could ball play a little

Tbh out of all our forwards, I think Luc could play that role. He has silky hands for a big fella

Tiger05

First Grade
Yeah not saying it’s a must, but all the top 4 teams last year had a lock that could ball play a little

Tbh out of all our forwards, I think Luc could play that role. He has silky hands for a big fella

Luc is great but I don't want to move him from an edge.

Tigerm

First Grade
From Fox sports news:

Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold will pull a selection shock that leaves young gun Jamayne Isaako on the outer.
Part of his profile? Maybe be worth having a chat, though tbh I can't ever recall seeing the kid play.

Isaako showcased his massive array of talents last year in his first full season in the NRL.

It led him to being named the Dally M Rookie of the Year and also earned him Test status with the Kiwis.

The goal machine also topped the points-scoring list for the NRL last year, and thus is a vital cog for the Broncos in 2019.