What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Raiders

Meth

Staff member
I guess...

I don't think Herbert or Hiku will be there. They are both coming back to NZ

1- Tuivasa Sheck
2- Fusitu'a
3- Pompey
4- Milne
5- Maumalo
6- Harris-Tavita
7- Green
8- Ah Mau
9- Egan
10- Burr
11- Pulu
12- Harris
13- Papali'i

Res- Blair, Taunoa-Brown, Katoa, Nikorima

Rich102

Staff member
Only good thing about that team is it will mean another nail in Kearney's coffin.

Big Marn

Juniors
Its ridiculous that they arent all coming back to NZ today.
Are you telling me that they have less chance of getting Coronavirus in Australia where there are far more cases?
You only need 1 NRL player to have contracted it and the season is suspended. ie NBA (1 player), EPL (1 coach).
Both those seasons are done.
To me this demonstrates the buffoons we have in charge, not just for the Warriors, but for the NRL as a whole.

Scott

Bench
Are you telling me that they have less chance of getting Coronavirus in Australia where there are far more cases?
You only need 1 NRL player to have contracted it and the season is suspended. ie NBA (1 player), EPL (1 coach).
To me this demonstrates the buffoons we have in charge, not just for the Warriors, but for the NRL as a whole.

if the competition is suspended, the is no money coming in. The game will go broke very very quickly. The clubs will be dead. Gone. There is currently no other option, hence the NRL imploring the Warriors to stay in Australia.

Meth

Staff member

This is almost totally to do with the government's travel restrictions.

One Warrior

Bench
MIlne got injured in Canterbury Cup game apparently, that team came back today apparently, so with Hiku and Herbert coming back we may only have 17 players over there, the team that played (minus Hiku and Herbert) plus the two reserves Hayze and Lawton. The club will have to fly Paasi and Curran over this evening so they make it before Aussie's midnight travel restriction deadline, send Tevega over now too, so he is ready to go when he is recovered. Hopefully the NRL will suspend the season until the travel restrictions are lifted, as the club will be massively disadvantaged more than it already is.

Im pretty sure its NZ saying from Monday if you arrive stay home for 2 weeks. I dont think NZ is on Aussies list of no fly countries?

Yes team could have gone home and returned next week. Not sure why they stayed. Unless Aussie is planning a boarder closure NZ styles?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
They should either fly home tonight or if they’ve got a team, play the Canberra game then come home. Logistically the season is now impossible.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
They should either fly home tonight or if they’ve got a team, play the Canberra game then come home. Logistically the season is now impossible.

But they can't do that, can they? Because then they would have to fly to play Manly, which they can't do because they have to self-isolate.

You're right though, the season is impossible. It has to be called off. That was clear yesterday, yet they still made a desperate cash grab to play one more round with us in it.

Benek

Juniors
Now that Australia has added their own travel ban, Warriors seasons is over. I can't see any way, logistically, that they can continue because travel either direction results in sitting two weeks out. Round two must certainly be our last for the season. No ways all these guys are staying away from their families for months on end - and that's assuming we make no roster changes or have no injuries, because as soon as we need to fly a new guy over he's isolated for 2 rounds. Just impossible.

Not such a bad thing considering how we were going to perform this season, but even still, incredibly disappointing for everything involved, fans included.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Now that Australia has added their own travel ban, Warriors seasons is over. I can't see any way, logistically, that they can continue because travel either direction results in sitting two weeks out. Round two must certainly be our last for the season. No ways all these guys are staying away from their families for months on end - and that's assuming we make no roster changes or have no injuries, because as soon as we need to fly a new guy over he's isolated for 2 rounds. Just impossible.

Not such a bad thing considering how we were going to perform this season, but even still, incredibly disappointing for everything involved, fans included.

No you're exactly right. It's over.

Makes me laugh the people I see on social media who say the guys are professionals, they should be able to live over there for the season, and they can relocate their family for the season if need be. This just can't happen. Yes it financially sucks, but that's part and parcel of the magnitude of this pandemic. And it's not a scratch on what the tourism industry is about to cop.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Distribute the squad through Australian clubs. They might learn something

thwt actually isn’t the worst idea. Divide our total cap by 15, add it to the other clubs caps and offer them to the Aus clubs who can pay us for their services for the year. RTS, Ken and Tohu will fetch a few $$ that can be used to keep the club afloat for the year.

Campion

Juniors
What a nightmare. I think the season is likely to be suspended ultimately. Will that lead to some financially insecure clubs buckling over? (...maybe this gets the necessary rationalisation of Sydney in the process).

BLN2

Juniors
I'd be surprised if the Warriors make it to round 3.. Or the NRL at this rate unfortunately. I'm thinking best case is the league is suspended and comes back later in the year.

If the Warriors players pull the plug, they can't expect to be fully paid unfortunately. Some players simply can't be away from families, and that's understandable. What a shit of a position.

Anyway, Milne f*cked his ACL on the weekend, another one down. I assume Paasi and Curran didn't make it over in time? From the guys I'm guessing who are still over there, I would go;

RTS
Perham
Fusitua
Lawton (has experience there, is the best player not playing. Get him in)
Maumalo
CHT
Green
Burr
Egan
Ah Mau
Blair
Harris
Papalii

Nikorima
JTB
Pulu
Katoa

King, Ale, Pompey, Turner, ATG

It will be interesting.
Choosing not to play vs suspension in play?
I guess we get to week 4-6 before a player test positive.
Chartered flights, all team isolated as much as possible, no going out.
NRL doing all it can to keep going.
Talk of 30% pay cut if suspended. Not sure what they get walking away.
Team should be getting compensation to help with assistance at home for families.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It will be interesting.
Choosing not to play vs suspension in play?
I guess we get to week 4-6 before a player test positive.
Chartered flights, all team isolated as much as possible, no going out.
NRL doing all it can to keep going.
Talk of 30% pay cut if suspended. Not sure what they get walking away.
Team should be getting compensation to help with assistance at home for families.

a pay cut is fair enough, that’s gonna happen to most of us. I’m on my base rate while self isolating which is about 65-70% of what I usually actually earn so that 30% figure sounds about right. If that’s as painful as the next few months get I’ll count myself pretty lucky.

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah. Part of their pay package is match payments. No matches - no payments.