What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns questions Dragons' recruitment of Ben Hunt as pressure rises

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Are you here to impose upon us this phenomenal Rugby League knowledge that I’ve heard so much about?

No I’ll leave that to you as you just did and what a ripper it was.:bulb:

I’ll just pass my views on, as it’s a discussion forum.

Some will agree, some won’t, some won’t care and some will return serve with abuse and throwing the toys out of the cot

Back to you:smiley:

SBD82

Coach
No I’ll leave that to you as you just did and what a ripper it was.:bulb:

I’ll just pass my views on, as it’s a discussion forum.

Some will agree, some won’t, some won’t care and some will return serve with abuse and throwing the toys out of the cot

Back to you:smiley:
Taking the coward route again?

How predictable.

SBD82

Coach
Keep up the good work

Seriously, do the forum a favour and discuss football.

as I said, it appears to me Ben Hunt is a major problem. What do you think:bulb:
We have many problems. The most major one is a coach that can’t devise a game plan to play to our players’ strengths. While Ben has his own issues, it’s difficult to properly assess the quality of any of our players while they are under Mary. We paid around $800k-$900k to fill a position on our roster that we’ve struggled with for decades, unfortunately we don’t know whether he is worth the price tag, since the game plan is abysmal.

Having said that, his performances this year are closer to what I expect of a halfback than the perfomance of Latrell at fullback.

Are you satisfied with Latrell’s performances thus far? It’s early days, but he has been well below my expectations.

Last edited:

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
We have many problems. The most major one is a coach that can’t devise a game plan to play to our players’ strengths. While Ben has his own issues, it’s difficult to properly assess the quality of any of our players while they are under Mary. We paid around $800k-$900k to fill a position on our roster that we’ve struggled with for decades, unfortunately we don’t know whether he is worth the price tag, since the game plan is abysmal.

Care to expand on this horrific game plan and how it involves Hunt as a half back?

SBD82

Coach
Care to expand on this horrific game plan and how it involves Hunt as a half back?
The game plan is robotic. The players are constantly setting up for the next play instead of playing what is in front of them.

For hunt, this means that his natural eyes up running game is impacted, as we rarely have people pushing up on the ball.

Our edge structures are also not set up to take advantage of his short passing game. The lines that the centre and back tower run are terrible. In the last few years Hunt should have had Tyson on his hip 90% of the game running an out line. Instead Tyson is wider, stopping the pass to the centre, and bringing the line that Tyson runs back into the middle.

It shouldn’t necessarily effect his long or short kicking game, but eventually our generally terrible game seems to wear down all of our players and the fundamentals suffer.

Care to give an assessment of Latrell’s fullback play so far?

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
The game plan is robotic. The players are constantly setting up for the next play instead of playing what is in front of them.

For hunt, this means that his natural eyes up running game is impacted, as we rarely have people pushing up on the ball.

Our edge structures are also not set up to take advantage of his short passing game. The lines that the centre and back tower run are terrible. In the last few years Hunt should have had Tyson on his hip 90% of the game running an out line. Instead Tyson is wider, stopping the pass to the centre, and bringing the line that Tyson runs back into the middle.

It shouldn’t necessarily effect his long or short kicking game, but eventually our generally terrible game seems to wear down all of our players and the fundamentals suffer.

Geez, you almost got there didn’t you. Nice try

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
What do you mean? Are you just avoiding answering any questions about Latrell?

I mean, you actually did well and gave an answer I agree but then left the parting, smart arse shot
It’s a shame as it was good to hear a reasoned response rather than the braindead catch cry of “sack macgreggor” without any substance

SBD82

Coach
I mean, you actually did well and gave an answer I agree but then left the parting, smart arse shot
It’s a shame as it was good to hear a reasoned response rather than the braindead catch cry of “sack macgreggor” without any substance
I’m genuinely interested in your assessment of Latrell. My parting shots are because I’m confused about why you appear so reluctant to give one. My assumption is that you don’t want to be negative about him, and there’s not much positive to write, but without you responding it’s difficult to know if my assumption is unfair.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I’m genuinely interested in your assessment of Latrell. My parting shots are because I’m confused about why you appear so reluctant to give one. My assumption is that you don’t want to be negative about him, and there’s not much positive to write, but without you responding it’s difficult to know if my assumption is unfair.

Sorry, I don’t believe your genuinely interested in my thoughts on it. You’ve clearly & aggressively stated you do to want to hear them.

As evidenced by your & others attack on Mitchell in the relevant thread.......that has now been closed down, by the look of it.
Go figure

Your just spoiling for a fight and frankly, whilst it’s fun most often time, And I love rattling the cage I just couldn’t be bothered.
I’ve made my comments about how hes gone.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sorry, I don’t believe your genuinely interested in my thoughts on it. You’ve clearly & aggressively stated you do to want to hear them.

As evidenced by your & others attack on Mitchell in the relevant thread.......that has now been closed down, by the look of it.
Go figure

Your just spoiling for a fight and frankly, whilst it’s fun most often time, And I love rattling the cage I just couldn’t be bothered.
You do realise you’ve most likely put more effort into writing that post than would have been required to give your opinion on La’trel Michel (I think he sounds better as a Frenchman).

SBD82

Coach

Go figure

Look. I’m not going to beg. But if you make statements about keeping the chat to footy on a forum, then refuse to engage in discussion about footy, it seems disingenuous.

All ideas are subject to scrutiny on here. That’s the nature of a forum. My two posts above will no doubt have people who disagree. Many of them will have a better footy knowledge than me. If they want to engage, even if they want to school me on my ignorance, they’re welcome. That’s a good way for me to learn more about footy.

sa1nt5

Juniors

I agree with this observation SBD, I’d add that Norman plays more ad lib as first receiver, also given the Hunt price tag, at the least experimenting with him as dummy half, as some astute minds discern, would be far from irresponsible.

Hunt seems to play what’s in front of him when he plays out of dummy half, and given his experience as a halfback he would be able to seemlessly slot back in to first receiver, albeit with confidence, when he sees a pattern emerging with the opponent’s defensive structures that he can’t exploit from dummy half. ( such as getting his edge forwards running wherever their effectiveness is amplified )

Our number one problem as you rightly state is a robotic game plan that has seen no evolution in years, and lost any semblance of expansion when Widdop wasn’t on the paddock.

I’m not convinced Tyson needs to run closer to the ruck, I think he needs smarter delivery from his playmakers, if for instance he had JT organising his runs, there would be little argument about who the best edge forwards in the comp are.

Hunt lacks confidence to take the team and himself to another level, something I think he is capable of, and that is, in my opinion, by virtue of the number on his back.

Change that to a 9 and give him command of the team and on his back, the Dragons would resemble the potential we all know they have.

Or we maintain the status quo and say Hunt is definitely a 7, Norman must play structured and reap the rewards of such.