What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Presidents Cup & Sydney Shield

rightleftin

Juniors
The NSWRL has began to detail GF dates for regional comps. While all have a common start date of 18 July some have chosen a short season - Group 6 has only 7 rounds with GF in September while Group 7 has chosen to play 12 rounds with a GF in November.

It may not be too far away from similar details for RMC/SS.

Bulabrother

Juniors
The NSWRL has began to detail GF dates for regional comps. While all have a common start date of 18 July some have chosen a short season - Group 6 has only 7 rounds with GF in September while Group 7 has chosen to play 12 rounds with a GF in November.

It may not be too far away from similar details for RMC/SS.
Wyong has pulled out from their senior comps for 2020

imgunawin72

Juniors
Hearing Guildford won’t be in RMC this true ?
I would think that’s not likely. Guildford are a big club, running an RMC team is only a minor cost. Besides with Wenty no longer being used as the parra NRL feeder this year, guildford may pick up some players from parras nsw cup team.

rightleftin

Juniors
Here is the net worth of various leagues club groups in NSW at last reported balance date published on the net:

Mounties $292M
Wests Newcastle $256M
Canterbury $178M
Western Suburbs $170M
Panthers $143M
Blacktown Workers $120M
Ryde Eastwood $120M
Wentworthville $108M
Wyong $82M
St Marys $77M
North Sydney $74M
Parramatta $70M
Easts $68M
Wollongong Collegians $59M
St George $52M
Souths Juniors $47M
Canberra $46M
Cronulla $31M
Wests Illawarra $30M
Cabramatta $17M
Asquith $15M
Guildford $14M
Windsor $4.5M
Manly $4M*
Newcastle $1.5M

* club premises valued at $1 due to lease restrictions.

Last edited:
Blacktown Workers out of Massey and Shield.

I have heard Windsor are close to making a decision about withdrawing for 2020.

Heard Erina, Wyong, Toukley and The Entrance have pulled out of CC Comp

Newcastle comp pretty much done. Maitland applying to play Massey

Most of the A-Grade teams in Penrith comp have pulled the pin

rightleftin

Juniors

Good on Maitland. Their leagues club went broke and was liquidated 2 years ago yet the football club survives and on the other hand, Blacktown Workers have just released their figures for 31 December 2019 - they added another $5 million to their empire in 12 months but they are down to their last $125 million so they cant finance a team for 10-12 weeks.

rightleftin

Juniors
St Marys wont have Pat Hollis this year as he has been added to the Penrith NRL "bubble" on a development contract.

Good on Maitland. Their leagues club went broke and was liquidated 2 years ago yet the football club survives and on the other hand, Blacktown Workers have just released their figures for 31 December 2019 - they added another $5 million to their empire in 12 months but they are down to their last $125 million so they cant finance a team for 10-12 weeks.

I heard the president of the football club sent a memo to all players and staff saying they don't want to risk the players or staff getting Covid. I believe the president had it and is recovering from it.

rightleftin

Juniors
I heard the president of the football club sent a memo to all players and staff saying they don't want to risk the players or staff getting Covid. I believe the president had it and is recovering from it.

It is good to see that the disease is being taken seriously, however, if the President was infected, he should have been in isolation and away from the players for weeks, which is more than the incubation period, so it would have shown up by now if he had infected them. I note that Blacktown Council has had 111 positive tests in a population of 395,000.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No idea how they intend to run RMC and SS - they won't go past September from what I can tell which means there's literally 7-8 weeks before finals assuming a Jul 18 start.

That's not even a full go around for each team to play one another.

Would make more sense to just can the comps and start again for 2021.

rightleftin

Juniors
I found this interview by Lou Zivanovic from 2017 - it is quite funny when he compares Wenty to Penrith.

"I was fortunate to play for Wentworthville, which was a real powerhouse back then. Former Wests and Easts winger Mick Alchin was coach and he pulled me straight out of under 16s and put me in A Grade. We made the final if a competition called the Kentucky Cup and I went allright. Penrith coach Len Stacker was there and had a chat to me - and I went and signed with them.

I was 18 and after five games they put me in first grade. It was tough for me because I was used to success at Wenty - we won everything there. On the one hand it was demorlaising because I was used to success, but on the other I was playing first grade against the best players in the world. Wenty were actually more professional and had more money than Penrith in the early ‘70s. After games, I actually went back to Wenty Leagues for a feed and a few drinks... because Penrith didn’t put that kind of thing on!

rightleftin

Juniors
No idea how they intend to run RMC and SS - they won't go past September from what I can tell which means there's literally 7-8 weeks before finals assuming a Jul 18 start.

That's not even a full go around for each team to play one another.

Would make more sense to just can the comps and start again for 2021.

18 July to end of Sept is 11 weeks so adding round 1 to 8 more rounds and that is a full round for a 10 team comp followed by 2 semis on the first week, preliminary final the next week and then GF. If the Silktails are out you are down to 10 teams and maybe even less.

Group 6 have programmed 7 rounds and then 4 team finals and they have 8 teams for 1sts and reserves and 10 teams for the 2nd division. You would think a lot of guys would be looking forward to getting back on the field after being locked in the house for months and a few dollars will come in handy after a significant proportion of the workforce has had its income reduced. I understand that they get decent crowds in the Newcastle comp and clubs decided they would not play if there are no crowds allowed.

Ironically I recall that the GF in the Metro Cup in 2000 occurred before 18 July.

Bulabrother

Juniors

Erina

Entrance are given till June to decide whether they are still in the comp and North Sydney Bears Jersey Flegg side are looking to join the CC 1st Grade Comp for 2020

rightleftin

Juniors
Central Coast is proposing a 9 round comp with GF 3 October. Newcastle is proposing a 10 round comp, so unless they have a mid week game the GF would be 10 October.

Butts74

Juniors
Tbh I think it’s better if they cann the whole season this year. It’s not about the virus at the moment it’s about the financial state of the game and the clubs. I also think when winter arrives it’ll more then likely spike back up again.

rightleftin

Juniors
Physical distancing has not just got Covid 19 under control but also crushed other infections - there were 18,377 cases of flu in Australia in April 2019 but less than 100 instances in the first 3 weeks of April 2020. No doubt colder weather will result in some increase but the country is very healthy at the moment.