What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Again

LINESPEED

Juniors
Sheppard against Gasnier v Easts.
CC

Yes CC - we’ve a history of being bitten by rule changes

And the 4 tackle rule change was brought in to end the Dragons’ dominance in 1967 ( which proved to be successful).

Later changed to 6 tackle in 1971.

We’ve never been forgiven for the 11 title world record

...and Fan & Adminland are just loving the comedy & schadenfreude of the McFail era

Now on your watch
Ryan Webb
.... on your lustreless
Day 53

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Whilst its very early days and teams aren't 100% match fit, the speed of the game was very evident last night. Teams who like to control the tempo of a game are going to find things tough under the 1 ref. Big bodied players will find themselves gassed pretty quickly, whilst more agile and rangy types will thrive. Payne Haas, for example, racked up some impressive stats, but how effective was he in the 'new normal'.
I'll be watching tonights games with interest to see if this trend continues as I expect pkayers like Hess from the Cowboys and Arrow from the Titans will have big games.
This may also bring a few if the 'lower' ranked teams closer and more competitive.
Meanwhile at the Dragons............

Dragonsamy

Bench
Whilst its very early days and teams aren't 100% match fit, the speed of the game was very evident last night. Teams who like to control the tempo of a game are going to find things tough under the 1 ref. Big bodied players will find themselves gassed pretty quickly, whilst more agile and rangy types will thrive. Payne Haas, for example, racked up some impressive stats, but how effective was he in the 'new normal'.
I'll be watching tonights games with interest to see if this trend continues as I expect pkayers like Hess from the Cowboys and Arrow from the Titans will have big games.
This may also bring a few if the 'lower' ranked teams closer and more competitive.

Dragonslayer
I agree with most of what you said but , I thought Junior P was one of the most effective farwards on the field last night. And he played long minutes what do you think

Last edited:

RufusRex

Post Whore
I think that Merrin/Graham will struggle .... slow lumps easy to exploit in a tiring line.

I think more mobile forwards like Host/Ford will come into play more ...

Would love to see Graham drop out for Host at 13 and have a bench of Lawrie/Kerr/Fui and a bloke like Clune ... would give a lot more flexibility and punch off the bench.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Dragonslayer
I agree with most of what you said but , I thought Junior P was one of the most effective falls on the field last night. And he played long minutes what do you think

Agree DS, the difference here depends on the use of the bench. Paulo played 55mins, split as 40mins, half-time break, 15 mins. Haas played 40 mins, half-time, 40 mins. The 2nd 40 is when the fatigue factor realky kicked in. Remember the Eels scored 3 trys between the 60th minute to the 80th min. The Broncos dropped balls, poor passes etc were fatigue driven.

But as ai said in my previous post, it's first game back and will be interesting if the trend continues. I can see the 2nd half of games being try feasts unless the bench rotation is correct.

blacksafake

First Grade
Agree DS, the difference here depends on the use of the bench. Paulo played 55mins, split as 40mins, half-time break, 15 mins. Haas played 40 mins, half-time, 40 mins. The 2nd 40 is when the fatigue factor realky kicked in. Remember the Eels scored 3 trys between the 60th minute to the 80th min. The Broncos dropped balls, poor passes etc were fatigue driven.

But as ai said in my previous post, it's first game back and will be interesting if the trend continues. I can see the 2nd half of games being try feasts unless the bench rotation is correct.

Well the way L plate uses our bench we're f**ked.

matPORTS

Juniors
My take on things so far:

The best and most mobile back rowers in the comp are going to be licking their lips at these rule changes. I think it could suit someone like Tariq Sims particularly well, in addition to the smaller faster players like Dufty exploiting the late game fatigue. Whether we have the game plans and tactical nous as a team to exploit advantage remains to be seen (we won't get our hopes up).

... will also be keeping a close eye on Cameron Murray for Souths.

Agreed. One of either Host or Ford must come in ahead of Aitken for the final bench spot this weekend. Graham & Merrin's days could be numbered. Our biggest weakness of the past 3-4 years in particular is our ineffective use of the bench, and arguably our bench is looking quite lean

Dragon David

First Grade

And the 4 tackle rule change was brought in to end the Dragons’ dominance in 1967 ( which proved to be successful).

...and Fan & Adminland are just loving the comedy & schadenfreude of the McFail era

Now on your watch
Ryan Webb
.... on your lustreless
Day 53
I think another one was they brought in a rule in 1985 that if the ball was caught on the full in your in goal, it resulted in a goal line drop out. Bloody Canterbury used that so well against us in the 1985 Grand Final. Glen Burgess took a lot of the catches in the in goal on that day.

We seem to get a lot of decisions go against us but we will continue to battle on and hopefully this 6 again rule will be in our favour for a change.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think that Merrin/Graham will struggle .... slow lumps easy to exploit in a tiring line.

Would love to see Graham drop out for Host at 13 and have a bench of Lawrie/Kerr/Fui and a bloke like Clune ... would give a lot more flexibility and punch off the bench.

I like the idea of Kerr, Fui, Lawrie and Clune on the bench as it gives us a lot more scope and flexibility. Lawrie can be put on as either a prop or lock, Kerr as either prop, back row or even centre, Fui as back row or centre and Clune as half or 5/8th. But the key is, they have got to be used at the right times and for a good period on the field.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I think another one was they brought in a rule in 1985 that if the ball was caught on the full in your in goal, it resulted in a goal line drop out. Bloody Canterbury used that so well against us in the 1985 Grand Final. Glen Burgess took a lot of the catches in the in goal on that day.

We seem to get a lot of decisions go against us but we will continue to battle on and hopefully this 6 again rule will be in our favour for a change.

Yes I was there at that game in’85 & their kicking screwed us over

RufusRex

Post Whore
Neither Host or Ford make sense though ... Mary doesnt replace back rowers and carryin essentially 2 on the bench is mary level stupid.

It really should be a clune/luke/brittain/sailor type but only Clune is eligible.

denis preston

First Grade

Now on your watch
Ryan Webb
.... on your lustreless
Day 53

Sorry Linespeed, that's a myth. It was first introduced in England in 66/67 and came about as teams played possession football which led to very boring play. The Dragons holding on aging players like Walsh, Clay etc didn't help their cause in 67 but the South Sydney juggernaut ( 11 current & future representative players in one side ) would have been hard to topple anyhow.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I like the idea of Kerr, Fui, Lawrie and Clune on the bench as it gives us a lot more scope and flexibility. Lawrie can be put on as either a prop or lock, Kerr as either prop, back row or even centre, Fui as back row or centre and Clune as half or 5/8th. But the key is, they have got to be used at the right times and for a good period on the field.

100% correct but Mary use of the bench so far has rubbish

Latest posts