What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans see nothing but red ...

Please forgive if this has been addressed in a previous thread that I might have missed ...

What's with this year's alternative strip? All red. No hint of a motif, stripe or pattern of any kind.

Don't get me wrong, a solid monotone strip can be powerful. All Blacks, England and Wales in RU. This is hard to replicate in NRL uniforms however when they are plastered in lettering, sponsors and logos. Even the Mighty Reds of Liverpool throw their fans a bone with a pin stripe here or there.

At the risk of over-doing the importance of a kit, there have been studies done on the perception of club identity through uniform linked with performance. The All Blacks binned the grey kit they used immediately after bombing out of one World Cup. Alec Ferguson ordered a grey second Man U kit be scrapped mid-season after the team recorded a string of losses wearing it.

Don't buy into the performance link too much. The change kit Saints wore in 2010 was an abomination.

But at the same time don't fans deserve a bit better? Wonder if this is another symptom of the current malaise the club has brought on itself. Lack of identity, excitement, passion, creativity, ideas. It's evident in the kit as much as it is in the style of play. It hardly screams 'rush out and buy me' to fans which I understood to kinda be the whole point.

Know I'm not the only supporter disappointed in the way the club undersells the great colours, tradition and symbology of the club. St George and the dragon. There are crosses, vees, dragons, hoops. They have been on the right track in recent years but have taken massive strides backwards with this year's model.

Gareth67

First Grade
I for one would ever so much like to see the original jersey - the Large Red V and the original emblem of St.George and the Dragon on an all white front .

They can whack their advertising on the back of it , who knows even this mob may grow ten feet tall whilst wearing it . :innocent:

RedVDave

First Grade
I'm not as opposed to the away Jerseys as others on here but this years one is without doubt the worst ever!!

Plain, boring, unimaginative and completely lackluster (kind of like our performances this year)

Whether you are a Steelers or St George fan the colours are red and white! It's not hard to incorporate 2 colours it's our identity afterall.

I completely agree we should of incorporated some white on there whether it be the Steelers ringlets the dragons blood and bandages or something new altogether so long as both the bloody colours are on their!

I legitimately hope they don't sell any of them and no fan buys one.

independent

Juniors
Please forgive if this has been addressed in a previous thread that I might have missed ...

What's with this year's alternative strip? All red. No hint of a motif, stripe or pattern of any kind.

Don't get me wrong, a solid monotone strip can be powerful. All Blacks, England and Wales in RU. This is hard to replicate in NRL uniforms however when they are plastered in lettering, sponsors and logos. Even the Mighty Reds of Liverpool throw their fans a bone with a pin stripe here or there.

At the risk of over-doing the importance of a kit, there have been studies done on the perception of club identity through uniform linked with performance. The All Blacks binned the grey kit they used immediately after bombing out of one World Cup. Alec Ferguson ordered a grey second Man U kit be scrapped mid-season after the team recorded a string of losses wearing it.

Don't buy into the performance link too much. The change kit Saints wore in 2010 was an abomination.

But at the same time don't fans deserve a bit better? Wonder if this is another symptom of the current malaise the club has brought on itself. Lack of identity, excitement, passion, creativity, ideas. It's evident in the kit as much as it is in the style of play. It hardly screams 'rush out and buy me' to fans which I understood to kinda be the whole point.

Know I'm not the only supporter disappointed in the way the club undersells the great colours, tradition and symbology of the club. St George and the dragon. There are crosses, vees, dragons, hoops. They have been on the right track in recent years but have taken massive strides backwards with this year's model.

I thought I was the only one going on about the RED V..... I am so disappointed how we are loosing the St George side of the team, they have moved everything down to wollongong ,The RED V is gone for half the games, nearly half the players have to travel down there every day, so they are tired before they start training....

We have lost our Identity we have no soul, the players don't know who they are playing for, what have we gained with the JV ,,, Nothing, half and half does not work, we are coming last and we have no money, I would rather go back to ST George name move back to kogarah and I don't care if we come last......

grouch

First Grade
It does have a design motif to it, but it might be too subtle for tv. I don't mind it, as far as alternate jerseys go. If we must have one, it's not bad

nrl_001-stgi20-3d-alternate_jersey-mnsfront_de3a20dd-063f-458b-a537-70cef2e984bd_1024x1024-png.38951

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
I'm not as opposed to the away Jerseys as others on here but this years one is without doubt the worst ever!!

Plain, boring, unimaginative and completely lackluster (kind of like our performances this year)

Whether you are a Steelers or St George fan the colours are red and white! It's not hard to incorporate 2 colours it's our identity afterall.

I completely agree we should of incorporated some white on there whether it be the Steelers ringlets the dragons blood and bandages or something new altogether so long as both the bloody colours are on their!

I legitimately hope they don't sell any of them and no fan buys one.
Yeah... Blood and Bandage

TruSaint

Referee
No need for an alternate strip, the red v is the best jersey in world sport. It’s not like it’s confusing with other teams.

I agree its the best strip there is, but its also an NRL requirement to have the alternate.
Its also I believe an agreement to acknowlegde the Illawarra region. Plus, dare I say, merchandising.

gitano

Juniors
Surely it's not that hard to engage with the fans before a design is pushed out.
Especially now with so many platforms to post ideas, get voting happening etc.

St Tangles

Bench
We got to get over the jersey and the saints vs Illawarra rubbish none of this has anything to do with our current predicament

All that stuff is nothing but white noise

It's been 20plus years

If we were winning or being competitive / if we could see some light at the end of the tunnel this wouldn't even be discussed

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I agree its the best strip there is, but its also an NRL requirement to have the alternate.
Its also I believe an agreement to acknowlegde the Illawarra region. Plus, dare I say, merchandising.
Put some red stripes on the sleeves that will do. Surely after all this time they can see the majestic red v as their own by now. The only GF win the good people of the gong have witnessed was in it.

RedVDave

First Grade

The Carlton blues used to not wear their alternate Guernsey and used to get fined by the AFL for not complying with this, talk about upholding tradition mad respect!

TruSaint

Referee
The Carlton blues used to not wear their alternate Guernsey and used to get fined by the AFL for not complying with this, talk about upholding tradition mad respect!

I didnt know that.

Then again, i dont follow the AFL. I get the passion and tradition, and i love the Red V. I think now its been decades since the alt strip was mandatory, so for me it isnt an issue. When I go to games I wear the red V most times.

When they had the blood and bandages strip, I would use that at times.

Latest posts