What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast opinions thread (The "Coast Conundrum")

flippikat

Bench
We've had posts about about the Central Coast, but not recently a thread about the CC and where it fits in the expansion picture. Yeah, I know it's all speculative.. but humour me.. hehehe...

With Brisbane 2 looking like it's got the 17th spot in the bag (regardless of which syndicate it is), how about we examine the Central Coast's prospects here - and get a guage of opinions?

Note: This is NOT specifically a North Sydney Bears thread, but a "where to now for the Central Coast?" thread.

Some key questions to ponder...

* Should the Central Coast have a fulltime NRL team? A shared team ala St George-Illawarra? Or no NRL team?

* If the Central Coast deserves a team of their own, should it team be a new brand, or a transplanted/relocated brand? (If you believe it need a new brand, what team name/colours would you suggest?)

* If a team should be relocated to the Central Coast, who should it be? What happens to their existing district?

Feel free to comment - not just on what you think *should* happen with the Central Coast, but what you think *will* happen - as predictions are all part of the fun.

I have a few ideas, but I'll jump in later on.. keen to see everyone's thoughts.

Over to you....

Diesel

Coach
The CC shared a team, albeit an ugly redhead stepchild team, and it didn’t work. Whoever goes to the CC needs to be full time, but I’m not sure if there is the corporate money in the CC to sustain a team in this post-COVID world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The way club spending is going it is going to be extremely hard for a regional based club to keep pace with revenue generation that will be needed in to the future. Clubs are starting to hit the $26-30million annual budget range, that’s a lot of fans and corporate support needed.
I’d actually like to see the nrl cap clubs total spending to a much lower level and then suddenly you have a lot more viable expansion options and the only thing holding back a 20 or 22 team Comp is player depth, do clubs really need t be spending $26mill plus a year when the players cap is $10mill?

jim_57

Staff member
The CC shared a team, albeit an ugly redhead stepchild team, and it didn’t work. Whoever goes to the CC needs to be full time, but I’m not sure if there is the corporate money in the CC to sustain a team in this post-COVID world.

There are plenty of reasons why it didn't work I don't think we can just say it was because it was a shared team. Why does the Central Coast need a full time team when Illawarra/Woolongong don't have one with much the same population? Probably more to do with the relationship between mergers, I was reasonably young around the time but I get the impression that Manly never really bought in to the merger.

So to the topic where does that leave CC now 20 odd years later? With a pretty good stadium and a few games each year but no one team to really rally behind. Unfortunately for them there there are 10 existing NSW clubs with another 2 who's reach extends well in to NSW (Titans & Raiders), the state doesn't need an 11th team.

The solution? Plenty of people have taken pot shots at it over the years but I'm not sure anyone has ever suggested the perfect solution, maybe there is no perfect solution. The best case scenario would probably be if a Sydney club went broke & took a relocation package to CC but that's pretty unlikely.

I personally think a split similar to Illawarra would be enough. It would have to be one team, consistently to build a fan base, Roosters & Manly are probably the obvious candidates. To try and make it happen the NRL could offer a financial package for a team to relocate 4-6 games there (and other target areas too for that matter). They could even offer incentives for other teams to take a game there but be the unofficial away team like the Rabbitohs did with Cairns Vs Cowboys.

As for a full team, I don't think an 11th NSW team should be ahead of several other candidates. If we're looking at areas 300-400k within an hour or so of other teams I'd prefer Sunshine Coast or Ipswich for example but even they'd be down the list.

As for 'Central Coast don't want this, that, him, her' type of arguments, well maybe the people of Central Coast need to decide if they'd rather share a team or not have any representation at all. It's been nearly 20 years since Northern Eagles went back to Manly so the NRL obviously isn't bluffed. The NRL doesn't have the room to hand out teams to every reasonably populated area, especially ones with 10 other teams within 2 hours drive. I do feel for them having nearly hada team then losing it but unfortunately a lot has happened and changed since then.

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach
There are plenty of reasons why it didn't work I don't think we can just say it was because it was a shared team. Why does the Central Coast need a full time team when Illawarra/Woolongong don't have one with much the same population? Probably more to do with the relationship between mergers, I was reasonably young around the time but I get the impression that Manly never really bought in to the merger.

So to the topic where does that leave CC now 20 odd years later? With a pretty good stadium and a few games each year but no one team to really rally behind. Unfortunately for them there there are 10 existing NSW clubs with another 2 who's reach extends well in to NSW (Titans & Raiders), the state doesn't need an 11th team.

The solution? Plenty of people have taken pot shots at it over the years but I'm not sure anyone has ever suggested the perfect solution, maybe there is no perfect solution. The best case scenario would probably be if a Sydney club went broke & took a relocation package to CC but that's pretty unlikely.

I personally think a split similar to Illawarra would be enough. It would have to be one team, consistently to build a fan base, Roosters & Manly are probably the obvious candidates. To try and make it happen the NRL could offer a financial package for a team to relocate 4-6 games there (and other target areas too for that matter). They could even offer incentives for other teams to take a game there but be the unofficial away team like the Rabbitohs did with Cairns Vs Cowboys.

As for a full team, I don't think an 11th NSW team should be ahead of several other candidates. If we're looking at areas 300-400k within an hour or so of other teams I'd prefer Sunshine Coast or Ipswich for example but even they'd be down the list.

As for 'Central Coast don't want this, that, him, her' type of arguments, well maybe the people of Central Coast need to decide if they'd rather share a team or not have any representation at all. It's been nearly 20 years since Northern Eagles went back to Manly so the NRL obviously isn't bluffed. The NRL doesn't have the room to hand out teams to every reasonably populated area, especially ones with 10 other teams within 2 hours drive. I do feel for them having nearly hada team then losing it but unfortunately a lot has happened and changed since then.
Would something similar to the Dragons model only work if it was based in North/ren Sydney? The Wests Tigers model is a basket case of nomads. Tigers would be a huge Sydney club but with 3 home grounds, it just doesn’t work

jim_57

Staff member
Would something similar to the Dragons model only work if it was based in North/ren Sydney? The Wests Tigers model is a basket case of nomads. Tigers would be a huge Sydney club but with 3 home grounds, it just doesn’t work

Yeh not sure really, one of Manly or the Roosters would be the most natural fit I guess compared to a Southern or Western Sydney team. Agreed that Tigers are spreading themselves too thin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Biggest issue we have is that the NRL has zero strategy for how it engages and keeps engaged these areas without an NRL team. It is left to clubs to try and get a deal that makes it financially worth their while. That means that games are sporadic with no real strategy or plan behind who, why and when. Its a massive failure of the NRL management that they continue to be reactive rather than proactive. Compare it to say AFL's approach to having a presence in Canberra through GWS and you couldn't get further apart. One organisation a clear strategy, one just bumbling around leaving it to clubs to sort out .

The Great Dane

First Grade
Biggest issue we have is that the NRL has zero strategy for how it engages and keeps engaged these areas without an NRL team. It is left to clubs to try and get a deal that makes it financially worth their while. That means that games are sporadic with no real strategy or plan behind who, why and when. Its a massive failure of the NRL management that they continue to be reactive rather than proactive. Compare it to say AFL's approach to having a presence in Canberra through GWS and you couldn't get further apart. One organisation a clear strategy, one just bumbling around leaving it to clubs to sort out .
The AFL's way of doing it is totally reliant on having governments that are naive enough to be taken advantage of, something that the NRL is particularly unlikely to have in a place like the CC, and all of their "second home" deals end in tears eventually.

Let's put it this way; the AFL literally preys upon the hopes and dreams that the city has of getting their own team to suck as much money out of the local government and game as possible to support a club somewhere else, and they do it knowing full well that they have no intentions of giving that city a team of it's own any time in the foreseeable future.

The only way you get a real long term solution to these sorts of problems, whether it be on the CC, in Perth, or anywhere else, is to have a local solution, i.e. a local team with enough exposure to build support around it. How you achieve that is another question though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL's way of doing it is totally reliant on having governments that are naive enough to be taken advantage of, something that the NRL is particularly unlikely to have in a place like the CC, and all of their "second home" deals end in tears eventually.

Let's put it this way; the AFL literally preys upon the hopes and dreams that the city has of getting their own team to suck as much money out of the local government and game as possible to support a club somewhere else, and they do it knowing full well that they have no intentions of giving that city a team of it's own any time in the foreseeable future.

The only way you get a real long term solution to these sorts of problems, whether it be on the CC, in Perth, or anywhere else, is to have a local solution, i.e. a local team with enough exposure to build support around it. How you achieve that is another question though.

And NRL hasnt been doing that in Perth?

You cant have an NRL team in every population centre. At least having the top tier of the game regularly exposed tto these audiences is something.

blue bags

First Grade
NRL matches should be played in gosford regular , as knights, eagles,
even other clubs,
the north sydney bears idea is great 1 , like it

The Great Dane

First Grade
And NRL hasnt been doing that in Perth?
Not like the AFL does it.

Take the Rabbitohs, they didn't come into Perth subtly indicating that they'd potentially relocate if their games were well supported.

If the NRL indicated that Perth would get their own team sometime soon then I think we can both agree they did it out of incompetence, and not maliciously, nor were they directly dealing with the WA government like the AFL does in their deals. The AFL on the other hand do it maliciously, they know exactly what they are doing, and they're doing it to squeeze out every last dime .

On top of that, I have always said the exact same thing about NRL teams taking games on the road as I do about the AFL clubs; it's largely a waste of time, that is at best a band-aid solution to growth in the new city, that often seriously effect the clubs support back home, and almost always end in tears.

Take my advice, if you ever want to see an NRL team in Perth then never allow them to get caught up in a deal like Canberra has with GWS, otherwise you'll end up where Canberra is with the AFL, where for decades the AFL has been subtly suggesting that Canberra is being considered, only to be ruled out every time that expansion comes around because 'Canberra already has team'.

ash the bash

Juniors
An interesting topic. Just some thoughts of my own.

Central Coast:

Demography: Very Rugby League suited, a lot of young families and people from Western Sydney who have moved for lifestyle, cheaper options near the coast. Has a lot of RL supporters of other teams present as its a bit of transient population. Heaps of Rabbitohs etc..

Stand alone: No chance, an interesting observation Zobra from Manly made during the Northern Eagles days. Was the lack of corporate sponsors from Gosford, I'm not talking about your blue chip jersey sponsors. Talking small to medium sized family businesses, "Bobs car repairs/Jim's Tiling" etc.. compared to what the Eagles were getting in northern beaches. These are usually the 3 to 5 grand sponsors that all add up.

How could a Central Coast fit in future NRL: Just my opinion again.

- Central Coast Bears
- Brings back heritage/original brand in the Bears. Brand suits Rugby League and will finally correct one of the great injustices in the Bears not being around in first grade. Another foundation club back.
- Red, white and black colours are great, Norths have had some classic jerseys that can be replicated.
- 2 NSO & 10 Gosford games. 1 heritage round game against Manly on a Sunday at NSO will be a guaranteed sell out, another can be played against a not as big drawer in Raiders or Cowboys. Remaining 10 at Gosford, Bunnies game certain sellout, Newcastle derby sellout, Roosters game close to a sellout.
- Sell a NSO membership & Central Coast membership also a premium/hardcore membership for both. Put a premium on the NS membership and you would have a lot of purchases for purely not missing out on NSO game.
- Central Coast stadium being on train line, would allow about 1,500 - 2,000 NS supporters from traditional Norths districts to head up to games. Chatswood, Hornsby etc..
- Corporate support from North Sydney, in fact I would base the training of club in North Sydney. If your young with cash would you prefer to be living on central coast or Sydney ? Not a dig at coast, I have family in Terrigal. In hindsight they may see benefit in having the training centre on the coast ?
- Huge area from Milson's point up to Tuggerah ??
- Gives RL access to a very affluent area from Sydney. They might be union/AFL toffs on north shore but with Bears back it would give them a reason to get a membership or attend token game at NSO.

Think the Central coast Bears would represent another "safe bet" expansion option for the NRL if they decide to go down that route. Would certainly tie up the east coast of Australia, where 51% of Australia's population will be in future (NSW & QLD).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not like the AFL does it.

Take the Rabbitohs, they didn't come into Perth subtly indicating that they'd potentially relocate if their games were well supported.

If the NRL indicated that Perth would get their own team sometime soon then I think we can both agree they did it out of incompetence, and not maliciously, nor were they directly dealing with the WA government like the AFL does in their deals. The AFL on the other hand do it maliciously, they know exactly what they are doing, and they're doing it to squeeze out every last dime .

On top of that, I have always said the exact same thing about NRL teams taking games on the road as I do about the AFL clubs; it's largely a waste of time, that is at best a band-aid solution to growth in the new city, that often seriously effect the clubs support back home, and almost always end in tears.

Take my advice, if you ever want to see an NRL team in Perth then never allow them to get caught up in a deal like Canberra has with GWS, otherwise you'll end up where Canberra is with the AFL, where for decades the AFL has been subtly suggesting that Canberra is being considered, only to be ruled out every time that expansion comes around because 'Canberra already has team'.

That is very one eyed view of things I have to say. That is exactly what the NRL has done over the years in Perth. talking up expansion possibilities whilst getting the WA Govt to pay for NRL and other RL games. Been going on for a decade. Id suggest Vlandys coming out for the first time and saying no hope of expansion to AFL states will pretty much put a nail in the coffin of WA Govt future funding of RL events.

You keep saying this but I havent seen that in Perth in the last decade of games. No one is upset that Souths didnt bring a game here this year, we are just grateful that they showed some commitment to bringing games here over the years. Same with the other clubs. Different if they said they were going to bring 4 games a year forever more then pulled out after a couple but that isnt whats happening. I'd suggest fans get peeved when there is no NRL/AFL games being played some years and then some others rather than any particular club commitment. That just smacks of profiteering with no real commitment from the code.

Has AFL ever suggested Canberra will get a team? Seems to me the GWS agreement is Canberras best and only chance of having regular AFL games in the city. Given that there is clearly no ambition or intention to ever have an NRL team in Perth I would at this pointin time gladly accept any club bringing more games here.

Ideally you'd have the NRL identify Perth, Adelaide, Gosford, Darwin or wherever as key strategic markets and be ensuring 3 games a year at least are played in them. Then put the offer out to clubs who would like to benefit from taking games there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
An interesting topic. Just some thoughts of my own.

Central Coast:

Demography: Very Rugby League suited, a lot of young families and people from Western Sydney who have moved for lifestyle, cheaper options near the coast. Has a lot of RL supporters of other teams present as its a bit of transient population. Heaps of Rabbitohs etc..

Stand alone: No chance, an interesting observation Zobra from Manly made during the Northern Eagles days. Was the lack of corporate sponsors from Gosford, I'm not talking about your blue chip jersey sponsors. Talking small to medium sized family businesses, "Bobs car repairs/Jim's Tiling" etc.. compared to what the Eagles were getting in northern beaches. These are usually the 3 to 5 grand sponsors that all add up.

How could a Central Coast fit in future NRL: Just my opinion again.

- Central Coast Bears
- Brings back heritage/original brand in the Bears. Brand suits Rugby League and will finally correct one of the great injustices in the Bears not being around in first grade. Another foundation club back.
- Red, white and black colours are great, Norths have had some classic jerseys that can be replicated.
- 2 NSO & 10 Gosford games. 1 heritage round game against Manly on a Sunday at NSO will be a guaranteed sell out, another can be played against a not as big drawer in Raiders or Cowboys. Remaining 10 at Gosford, Bunnies game certain sellout, Newcastle derby sellout, Roosters game close to a sellout.
- Sell a NSO membership & Central Coast membership also a premium/hardcore membership for both. Put a premium on the NS membership and you would have a lot of purchases for purely not missing out on NSO game.
- Central Coast stadium being on train line, would allow about 1,500 - 2,000 NS supporters from traditional Norths districts to head up to games. Chatswood, Hornsby etc..
- Corporate support from North Sydney, in fact I would base the training of club in North Sydney. If your young with cash would you prefer to be living on central coast or Sydney ? Not a dig at coast, I have family in Terrigal. In hindsight they may see benefit in having the training centre on the coast ?
- Huge area from Milson's point up to Tuggerah ??
- Gives RL access to a very affluent area from Sydney. They might be union/AFL toffs on north shore but with Bears back it would give them a reason to get a membership or attend token game at NSO.

Think the Central coast Bears would represent another "safe bet" expansion option for the NRL if they decide to go down that route. Would certainly tie up the east coast of Australia, where 51% of Australia's population will be in future (NSW & QLD).

There's 14 (soon to be 15) clubs on the East coast of Australia, do we really need another one to "tie it up"? We've got 14 clubs representing 51% of Australi, and 1 covering the other 49%!
I'm not opposed to Manly dropping to NSw cup and a CC Bears getting the license with a remit for the entire Northern Sydney to CC region as its catchment. That would have been a better outcome in 2002

blue bags

First Grade
there should be a promotion match in each round of the NRL
involving playing in other cities, like Perth, Adelaide, Hobart, gosford

That is very one eyed view of things I have to say. That is exactly what the NRL has done over the years in Perth. talking up expansion possibilities whilst getting the WA Govt to pay for NRL and other RL games. Been going on for a decade. Id suggest Vlandys coming out for the first time and saying no hope of expansion to AFL states will pretty much put a nail in the coffin of WA Govt future funding of RL events.

You keep saying this but I havent seen that in Perth in the last decade of games. No one is upset that Souths didnt bring a game here this year, we are just grateful that they showed some commitment to bringing games here over the years. Same with the other clubs. Different if they said they were going to bring 4 games a year forever more then pulled out after a couple but that isnt whats happening. I'd suggest fans get peeved when there is no NRL/AFL games being played some years and then some others rather than any particular club commitment. That just smacks of profiteering with no real commitment from the code.

Has AFL ever suggested Canberra will get a team? Seems to me the GWS agreement is Canberras best and only chance of having regular AFL games in the city. Given that there is clearly no ambition or intention to ever have an NRL team in Perth I would at this pointin time gladly accept any club bringing more games here.

Ideally you'd have the NRL identify Perth, Adelaide, Gosford, Darwin or wherever as key strategic markets and be ensuring 3 games a year at least are played in them. Then put the offer out to clubs who would like to benefit from taking games there.
I'd like to see the Melbourne Storm base their reserve grade team out of Perth and have them play in the Queensland Cup. It will be costly but it will also help promote the game. Melbourne would benefit from being the go to club for juniors from Perth. It would raise the profile of the Queensland Cup.