What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 vs Souths

SAP58

Juniors
NRL.com states Wiliame is due back from his calf injury this week, not sure if that is correct for some reason the club has stopped giving injury updates on their web site. It use to be a weekly update ?

blacksafake

First Grade
We all have our favourites. When Hunt has a bad game (which he does regularly) the "Hunt is a brilliant player!!!" crew are quiet and say nothing. Yet when Aitken has a bad game (which he does regularly) he gets destroyed and singled out (aka whipping boy).
I would say that our million dollar mis-firing marquee half-back deserves much more scrutiny than the outside back.
But hey, as I said, we all have favourites.
Hunt deserves criticism at times but he seems to cop it left right & centre from the fans & press. Norman imo is the one who needs to be better. He also doesn’t come under as much scrutiny as others. Anyway it’s all moot having these guys whilst L plate is the coach.

Crush

Coach
Hunt deserves criticism at times but he seems to cop it left right & centre from the fans & press. Norman imo is the one who needs to be better. He also doesn’t come under as much scrutiny as others. Anyway it’s all moot having these guys whilst L plate is the coach.
Unfortunately for these 2 guys the pressure comes with the high salary.
Its like any business, those in the organisation that have the biggest responsibilities get the highest salaries and in turn pressure applied.
When the 6 and 7 are being paid close to 20% of the salary cap available for 30 players you are wanting them to perform week in week out at a very very high level.
Hunt and Norman have been inconsistent at best, so much so that the 7 has had to be benched and now moved into another position.
They deserve every bit and more critism from the fans.
Aitken however is more of a forum whipping boy. He doesn't get much pressure applied from the media. The forum can do that though. Someone says something, others jump on board, it gathers momentum. Before you know it Saab is branded a sook, Aitken is Marys love child and so on and so forth.
I guess all the players cop it in here, it is a forum after all, but I reckon those that deserve the most critism are Mary, Hunt and Norman.
Not Euan Aitken.

possm

Coach
The Dragons defence is paper thin. Other teams score at will. When will Ramsey, Tariq Sims and Williame be back? With everyone back my team would be as follows:-
Dufty
Ramsey
Williame
Lomax
Ravalawa
Sailor
Clune
Mc Innes
Frizell
Tariq Sims
Ford
Vaughan
Hunt
Kerr
Bench
Korbin Sims
Merrin
Lawrie
Fuimaono

I think we should make some significant changes in the hope that we will understand who we want to keep and who to let go:

Ramsey
Saab
Williame
Lomax
Ravalawa
Dufty
Clune
Kerr
Hunt
Vaughan

Blacker
Merrin
Ford
Fuimaono

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I dont know if Ramsey is ready yet, so I will leave him out until such timecas the club announces so.

Norman has been the most disappointing player imo. His greatest assett to the team atm is that he is a left foot kicker and thats stretching his continued selection in the team.

As it is a quick turnaround game, doubts on Clune, Rava and Merrin, our team v Bunnies could be more patchwork than it is now.

Listening to Bennets presser the other day, he mentioned how difficult it was to 'select' players from the 2nd tier squad as they aren't match fit and not up to speed with change in the way the game is played this year. They are also more suspect to injury because of this.

So, I think our team v Bunnies will look something like:

1. Dufty
2. JP/Rava
3. Aitken
4. Lomax
5. Rava/JP/Saab
6. Norman (i'd really like to give Sullivan a run)
7. Clune/ Hunt
8. Kerr
9. Hunt/McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. T. Sims
13. McInnes/Lawrie

14. Merrin/K. Sims
15. Lawrie/Host
16. Fuimaono
17. Ford

Old Timer

Coach
Unfortunately for these 2 guys the pressure comes with the high salary.
Its like any business, those in the organisation that have the biggest responsibilities get the highest salaries and in turn pressure applied.
When the 6 and 7 are being paid close to 20% of the salary cap available for 30 players you are wanting them to perform week in week out at a very very high level.
Hunt and Norman have been inconsistent at best, so much so that the 7 has had to be benched and now moved into another position.
They deserve every bit and more critism from the fans.
Aitken however is more of a forum whipping boy. He doesn't get much pressure applied from the media. The forum can do that though. Someone says something, others jump on board, it gathers momentum. Before you know it Saab is branded a sook, Aitken is Marys love child and so on and so forth.
I guess all the players cop it in here, it is a forum after all, but I reckon those that deserve the most critism are Mary, Hunt and Norman.
Not Euan Aitken.
The issues / faults with Aitken are well documented
  • Can't set up outside men
  • Can't pass
  • No creativity
  • Poor reads in defence
Fair to say his defensive issues are far better now he is on the LHS and that is to his credit.

The top 2 issues noted above are the reason why he is a poor option at centre as he completely stifles the potential of 1 of the players namely his winger and also diminished the potential of the half, back rower who play on his side as well as the FB if he is looking to run off the centre.

Totally 1 dimensional player who relies on brute strength so he becomes the whipping boy as a result of those warranted criticisms of his game.

denis preston

First Grade

Yes & Yes !! I would love Sailor to be given a couple of games in his place but i dont have the confidence that the club does things this way ( drops under performing high earners and gives youth a go )

Crush

Coach
The issues / faults with Aitken are well documented
  • Can't set up outside men
  • Can't pass
  • No creativity
  • Poor reads in defence
Fair to say his defensive issues are far better now he is on the LHS and that is to his credit.

The top 2 issues noted above are the reason why he is a poor option at centre as he completely stifles the potential of 1 of the players namely his winger and also diminished the potential of the half, back rower who play on his side as well as the FB if he is looking to run off the centre.

Totally 1 dimensional player who relies on brute strength so he becomes the whipping boy as a result of those warranted criticisms of his game.
Yes OT I am aware of his deficiencies, I am a forum regular.

Old Timer

Coach
Yes OT I am aware of his deficiencies, I am a forum regular.
Well if you are aware of and agree with the summation of his deficiencies then you should know why he is one of the whipping boys.

BTW he doesn't share that honour on his own.

Crush

Coach
Well if you are aware of and agree with the summation of his deficiencies then you should know why he is one of the whipping boys.

BTW he doesn't share that honour on his own.
As stated in my previous posts, I feel that Norman and Hunt deserve much more scrutiny than Aitken.
They earn the big bucks and are in key positions which have a greater impact on the outcome.
Aitken is an issue but not as big an issue as the other guys earning twice his salary.
That's my opinion and yes I acknowledge that Aitken has his issues.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Mitchell returns for this game for Souths who have six players out and Dragons have Tariq Sims, Pereira and Williame back but Clune and Merrin may be out with head knocks. The Dragons should win this game but they will probably lose it. I thought that Lawrie and Vaughan had good games along with Frizell Ford, Hunt and Mc Innes. Fuimaono (Dropped balls, Kerr (Needs to start and get more game time), Merrrin (Slow and head knock) were disappointing. Host had little game time. It also concerns me that Lomax and Ravalawa look less than 100% being in the bandaged brigade. The Dragons defence near the goal line is pathetic! Once Clune goes off the passing is ineffective.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Aitken continually makes bad reads in defence and yet is always picked.
His running game is powerful and he is improving but not worth keeping if Williame is fit. It hope he gets p*ssed off at the end of the season like the rumours are suggesting.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Not at all...He has been in the Top grade for 5 years....Still clearly makes the same mistakes...playing better at the moment, but that may have a lot to do with his contract being up..

Simple question...would you be happy to re-sign him as a centre ? Consider that we have the Feagai twins and others coming through and whether retaining Aitken blocks their transition into the Top grade. I am sure that @George Dragon could offer more insight into who we have coming through.

In Answer to your question re Hunt, I would be leaving him @ 9....the difference was noticeable to all and sundry when Clune came off...we are rudderless...Would I renew Hunt when his contract is up...NO...we have Sullivan and Wishart coming through and again Norman is more of a Problem I.M.H.O....I'd be giving Sailor a run @ 6 with Clune...or Bite the bullet and promote Sullivan.

On a separate note, Surely Blacker or Kade Ellis deserve a shot.

Agree with most of this- not sure what to do with Aitken as someone (Flanno?) has released his dynamic running from a few years ago but the poor defensive reads remain- still, we got monstered in the middle third of the game and our bigger forwards (particularly Kerr and Lawrie) didn't or couldn't fire back. Blacker underwhelmed when I saw him earlier in the season so I'd give Ellis a go .

Latest posts