What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2024

It's actually 4 on 2 because the bunnies player with the huge white strapping on his parramatta pleft leg is the one who tackles Fifita, leaving only the centre and wing. If Sloan gets it their centre can turn to confront Sloan (although Sloan could get outside him easy). All Sloan has to do is draw the centre and pass to Lomax. No shepherd, not even close. You can watch the replay on NRL.com- it's 42 minutes in and it was the last tackle in the set.
I think your description is fine tbh.

Last play option was to pass to a player entirely covered, is probably enough.

So there’s no material attack.

I might be optimistic but some potential receivers on the left might have helped too.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Yeah, I think the forum can be split into 4 groups:

1. Good outing, intent shown, no one injured, everyone got a go.

2. Was ok, but worrying signs and lack of depth is concerning.

3. Was ordinary, strike players succumbed to a second tier South’s side to start with.

4. I’ve been fed more crap about yet another building year. Bend over Tiger dullards, I’m not getting friendly, I’m looking for a wooden spoon.
I'd add a 5th group. It's a trial, who cares.

True_Believer

Juniors
They were playing a second string side and we were full strength of course we looked better but not by much
The only positives I got out of it is that Flanno will do his utmost to improve this squad to keep his job
Btw the interview Hunt did was so uninspiring you can tell he just doesn’t want to be there
The forwards weren't second string. They pretty much had the full pack there as well as a good portion of their backs. Yes they had some key players out, but it was far from a second string side. I think we did really well in the first half. It was only after most of our firsts didn't come back in the second half did they start to over take us.

What I got out of it is that our depth is poor atm and we need to work on the youngsters coming through.

I would like to see Marshke get a run in the halves with Hunt and let Kyle go back to 14 as originally planned, against the Tigers.
It should be a good game v Tigers, I’m looking forward to it.

Bud set up a very good try for salad today, thought I was dreaming!!

A backerupperer wouldn’t have been there last year.

I’ve been watching CS first 20, there’s been no bears dancing on barrels, but I’m quite impressed with the involvement, urgency and prey drive. It is the kind of game Flanno said he would deliver.

Early days of course. Good game so far.

Ravs is having a bloody good game, a mistake, but he was in there challenging.

The short drop out, the ensuing chaos, I don’t know about it. A fad that’s all become so serious. It was a good kick, that’s a nice start.

Last edited:

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
The most toughest NRL team to coach is the St George Dragons, we expect premierships, simple.
Flanno had the Luxury, of no pressure Sharks team, they got close to Oblivion in 2010, with 0 rugby league history, 6 years later they were premiers, some Muppet journo suggested we would take 2030 as a premiership, following the same path, I thought the same, yeh nuh screw that, I would like my Chocolates now, if the Dragons get the Wooden spoon, I will sack him immediately!
Harsh

Rocket Rod

Juniors
The forwards weren't second string. They pretty much had the full pack there as well as a good portion of their backs. Yes they had some key players out, but it was far from a second string side. I think we did really well in the first half. It was only after most of our firsts didn't come back in the second half did they start to over take us.

What I got out of it is that our depth is poor atm and we need to work on the youngsters coming through.
I disagree with you 3/4 of their spine sitting on the bench. Also if we had Mitchell Walker & Cook on our side we would be a top 6 side for sure. It doesn’t take much to change the dynamics of a team but when you have a team of average joes well we all know how that ends.

Draginzaaar

Bench

If you have 3 of your spine out, that a 2nd string side.

Illusion

Bench
I disagree with you 3/4 of their spine sitting on the bench. Also if we had Mitchell Walker & Cook on our side we would be a top 6 side for sure. It doesn’t take much to change the dynamics of a team but when you have a team of average joes well we all know how that ends.
Yep this is the problem like I have said before the players are average at best ....... Go through our team how many would be starters at other clubs especially the top say 6 teams ........?

since77

Juniors
Hmmm that’s something Griffin would’ve said.
Um, no. Note sure if you actually read the article. Doesn't sound like you did. So, go read the article and tell me something Flanno said about the game that isn't correct.

To help your feeble mind I'll copy and paste the gist of what was said.

“The first half, we’ll give a tick. The second half, we’ll give it a cross”.
“I thought that the first half was a really good competitive game - we had our team on and then in the second half, it just probably shows where we are with our young kids,” Flanagan said.
“They are not up to it just as yet and they just got run over in the second half. But when we had our best team on in the first half, I think it was a good hit out.

True_Believer

Juniors
Fair enough. Mitchell, Cook and Walker on the sideline. Who else of note was out? I did say a good portion of their backs and their forwards still played. As I said, I think our pack still competed and even dominated theirs for periods in that first half. For the first time I noted we weren't getting pushed back in attack and we were the ones driving the opposition back. I'm not saying we are going to be there come finals time, but I saw things that looked promising in the game.

Don't forget, most of their team has been together for a long period of time now. We've got a new halves combo and a few new recruits as well that will take time to get things right. I'm just not all doom and gloom after a single trial.

Victoire

Juniors
For me it was similar to watching the team under Ryan Carr. Great attitude and intent, decent defence for the most part, however no luck and absolutely zero polish or slickness in attack.

However, we did take off most of the team in the second half.... I feel that in a proper 80 min game the work and effort our first stringers put in for the first 40 would have paid off in the second. They didnt get a chance to build on that. Even things like Hunt throwing the short ball instead of going wide, and Flanagan constantly dummying might have paid dividends in the second half as the defence compressed even more. Oh well. No shield for us again.

I loved our forwards though, the entire starting 6 were fantastic for us and will go a long way to winning us games on their own if they can keep that menace going. With Cam Murray and Jai Arrow in there and really only Shaq Mitchell missing for them, our starting pack dusted them. Liddle looked the best he has in probably his whole career off the back of it. Good signs there.

Tyrell Sloan... man I really hoped to see more from him right from the jump. He needs to sprint on kick reception, instead of jogging up, getting folded and driven back. Run it like Jye Gray did for Souths! And in attack we have so many offload opportunities now, but Sloan is nowhere to be seen. ffs if he just hung around Jaydn Su'a he'd probably have 5 line breaks. Disappointing.

If Lomax had back spasms fair enough I guess but he seems to bring nothing to the wing, and his immense talents are wasted.

Muhleisen... reminds me of Mitch Rein and that is not a compliment.

kit66

Bench
Fair enough. Mitchell, Cook and Walker on the sideline. Who else of note was out? I did say a good portion of their backs and their forwards still played. As I said, I think our pack still competed and even dominated theirs for periods in that first half. For the first time I noted we weren't getting pushed back in attack and we were the ones driving the opposition back. I'm not saying we are going to be there come finals time, but I saw things that looked promising in the game.

Don't forget, most of their team has been together for a long period of time now. We've got a new halves combo and a few new recruits as well that will take time to get things right. I'm just not all doom and gloom after a single trial.

Also a lot of their reserve graders who came on in the second half were a part of the bunnies team that won the KOE Cup grand final last year. Not making excuses, it's just the reality of the situation. The first 20 minutes of the second half we only let in one try (it was 12-6 after 60 minutes) and after that we had maybe two or three first graders on the park and the bunnies ran in 3 more tries.

On Latrell, did you see him in the rep game Friday night, there were times there where it looked like he was looking for a chair to have a rest on like an old boxer between rounds. He was staying well out the action for long periods and hoping nothing came his way.