What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 vs Souths

denis preston

First Grade
Blacker and Ramsey must be wondering what
they have done wrong.

Jesus, all the hype from some here on Ramsey and most would have only seen him in for 5 mins at the nines on TV. Blacker got a go in the preseason and was way way out of depth. By all means we should consider giving them a go but it is in no way a conspiracy that they haven't been selected thus far.

Old Timer

Coach
Jesus, all the hype from some here on Ramsey and most would have only seen him in for 5 mins at the nines on TV. Blacker got a go in the preseason and was way way out of depth. By all means we should consider giving them a go but it is in no way a conspiracy that they haven't been selected thus far.
I agree with you but fair to say that Williame & Fuimaono despite all the hype are hacks at best and with Lawrie being dragged from pillar to post in positions he plays and also a being a bit of a plodder means that Blacker & Ramsey should be looked at very seriously but w know that is not the case and the hacks will remain.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I agree with you but fair to say that Williame & Fuimaono despite all the hype are hacks at best and with Lawrie being dragged from pillar to post in positions he plays and also a being a bit of a plodder means that Blacker & Ramsey should be looked at very seriously but w know that is not the case and the hacks will remain.

williame and Fuimaono are not hacks

Old Timer

Coach
williame and Fuimaono are not hacks
Oh yes they are and that's exactly why they are in our roster.

Fuimaono had a good game off the bench early on and since then has been easily & well contained.

William did nothing before he broke down and will not even be good enough to push Aitken out.

Not at all...He has been in the Top grade for 5 years....Still clearly makes the same mistakes...playing better at the moment, but that may have a lot to do with his contract being up..

Simple question...would you be happy to re-sign him as a centre ? Consider that we have the Feagai twins and others coming through and whether retaining Aitken blocks their transition into the Top grade. I am sure that @George Dragon could offer more insight into who we have coming through.

In Answer to your question re Hunt, I would be leaving him @ 9....the difference was noticeable to all and sundry when Clune came off...we are rudderless...Would I renew Hunt when his contract is up...NO...we have Sullivan and Wishart coming through and again Norman is more of a Problem I.M.H.O....I'd be giving Sailor a run @ 6 with Clune...or Bite the bullet and promote Sullivan.

On a separate note, Surely Blacker or Kade Ellis deserve a shot.
Superb summary!

getsmarty

Immortal
team_web12.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Updated
Presented By

24-hour warning: Indigenous Round v South Sydney
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 29 Jul 2020, 07:49 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has amended his squad ahead of the Dragons' Indigenous Round clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium – Home of the Bidjigal/Bediagal peoples on Thursday, July 30.

Corey Norman will celebrate his 200th NRL game against South Sydney alongside Ben Hunt, who has been named in the halves for the first time since Round 4. Skipper Cameron McInnes returns to hooker while Jackson Ford has been named at lock.

Tariq Sims and Jordan Pereira (both suspension) return in the back row and at wing respectively, with Tyrell Fuimaono dropping back to the bench and Jason Saab shifting outside of the 17.

Fuimaono is joined on the interchange by Tristan Sailor who will play his first game of the 2020 season, with Adam Clune and Trent Merrin both out due to concussion. Blake Lawrie will also celebrate his 50th NRL game for the Red V.

Kaide Ellis and Jayden Sullivan are the first two players to drop out the initial 21-man squad.

NRL squad for Round 12 v South Sydney Rabbitohs –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness

Interchange:
14. Tyrell Fuimaono (Wiradjuri) – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Josh Kerr (Quandamooka) – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
16. Jacob Host – sponsored by TripADeal
17. Tristan Sailor (Erub (Darnley) Island) – sponsored by Baytek Construction
19. Jason Saab (Anaiwan) – sponsored by Baytek Construction
21. Korbin Sims

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/29/nrl-team-indigenous-round-v-south-sydney/

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor: Bunker officials 'are fine' but more time needs to be taken
Author
Troy Whittaker Reporting from Eora nation
Timestamp
Wed 29 Jul 2020, 03:01 PM

Paul McGregor didn't necessarily want NRL Bunker officials dropped after an error cost the Dragons but he believes the call to sideline video referee Steve Clark shows "strong leadership".

The coach called for accountability after Saturday's 28-24 loss to Cronulla as the Sharks were awarded an early try to Jack Williams despite Dragons fullback Matt Dufty grounding the ball first.

Clark and the senior review official's offsider Ben Galea were immediately stood down from Sunday's Panthers-Titans match.

Galea is on video referee duties for two clashes in round 12 but Clark hasn't been rostered on for any matches.

"That's strong leadership, obviously from [head of football] Graham [Annesley]," McGregor said of the decision to omit Clark.

"That's not my department and that's not what I meant around accountability at all. Nothing sinister.

"My conversation was I got asked a question [in the post-match media conference] – I didn't raise it – and it was very fresh. At this stage or any stage, it's not good enough to make the wrong decisions when you've got the correct material to make the right decisions.

"I feel the people there [working in the Bunker] are fine, it's just a matter of just being a little bit more relaxed around the decisions they make and taking the time needed to do it.

"If it takes longer than people feel it needs and the right decision comes out of it, that's the right thing to do."

McGregor is pleased his side can quickly cleanse the sour taste from their mouths when they face traditional rivals South Sydney at Netstrata Jubilee Oval on Thursday night.

But the five-day turnaround has meant halfback Adam Clune and forward Trent Merrin were unable to recover from head knocks.

Ben Hunt will return to halfback for the first time since round four, allowing Cameron McInnes to play his natural role of hooker and young gun Jackson Ford to replace the captain at lock.

"It's a forced change, to be honest. I was comfortable with how the team was really improving," McGregor said of the reshuffle.

"Ben likes to play seven, so he's back to his preferred position. So we're looking for a big game from Ben. He teams up with Corey [Norman], who he's played a lot of football with.

"And Corey's got a milestone 200th [game]. So I expect my halves to lead us around the field well.

"I think whatever Ben does no one's ever going to be happy with. He seems to be a player that people really go after consistently. Ben's a very good footballer, he's experienced, and he'll do a good job for us."

The injuries have prompted McGregor to hand exciting 22-year-old back Tristan Sailor his first match of the season off the interchange.

"The versatility around Tristan's good," McGregor said.

"Because the [initial] move for Ben to nine was also a lot to do with what middles we didn't have available and the ball-playing middle we need in Cam going to 13 as well.

"So there's an opportunity there if we need a little bit more out of our middle that we can move Benny to nine and Cam to 13 and Tristan straight into that edge [as a half].

"He's done some work there before, a little bit of work the last couple of days there, so he knows the systems."

St George Illawarra sit 11th, four points shy of Manly in eighth, and McGregor has got an eye on the ladder with nine games left.

"[We need to] play a good brand of footy and have the right behaviours and standards and values through the 80 minutes ... and then the Ws do look after themselves," McGregor said.

"It's getting away from us if we don't start getting the Ws."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/29...als-are-fine-but-more-time-needs-to-be-taken/

getsmarty

Immortal
July 29 2020 - 3:30PM
Hunt right at home in No. 7 jumper: McGregor
Dragons Den
r414_0_3885_3186_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOME: Ben Hunt is back at halfback for Thursday's clash with the Rabbitohs. Picture: NRL Imagery

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor says Ben Hunt will always be the most scrutinised player on the park, whatever number he has on his back.

It will be No. 7 this week, with McGregor shifting him back to his preferred position after Adam Clune was ruled out of Thursday's clash with the Rabbitohs with concussion.

It will, briefly at least, suspend his stint as first-choice dummy-half since being shifted there six weeks ago in an effort to reboot the Dragons season.

It's worked to good effect, with the 30-year-old nudging top form since making the switch, but McGregor didn't hesitate to shift him back once Clune was ruled out.

"I think whatever Ben does no one's ever going to be happy with," McGregor said.

"He seems to be a player people really go after consistently but he's a very good footballer, he's experienced and he'll do a good job.

"It's a forced change, we've got two [Clune and Trent Merrin] guys with HIA's from the game and with the five-day turn it wasn't the right thing by them or the team to put them out there.

"Ben and Cam [McInnes] know how to play seven and nine because they've done it most of their careers. Ben likes to play seven so he's back to his preferred position.

"He's an experienced player and he teams up with Corey [Norman] who he's played a lot of football with. Corey's got a milestone of 200 [games] so I expect my halves to lead us around the field well."

The reshuffle sees Tristan Sailor called in for his first top-grade appearance. There's been speculation he could start in the halves, but McGregor said the 22-year-old is there for his all-round utility value.

"His best position is one, for sure, but he's played a lot of six in his life," McGregor said.

"The versatility around Tristan is good because the move of Ben to nine had a lot to do with what middles we didn't have available and [having] the ball-playing middle we need in Cam going to 13.

"There's an opportunity there if we need a little it more out of our middle we can move Benny to nine and Cam to 13 and put Tristan straight onto that edge.

"He's done some work there before and he's done a lot of work there the last couple of days there, he knows the systems. He's been 18th man for five or six weeks so he was ready for the opportunity, now it's there."

McGregor was left fuming with the bunker howler that gifted the Sharks a try in their win over the Dragons last week.

It prompted Graham Annesley to immediately stand down bunker officials Steve Clark and Ben Galea, but McGregor said it was time to move past it.

"That's strong leadership from Graham, it's not my department and that's what I meant around accountability, nothing sinister," McGregor said.

"I got asked a question, I didn't raise it, and it was very fresh. At this stage, or any stage, it's not good enough to make decision when you have the correct material to make the right decisions.

"Two looks, early in the game, slippery conditions, it just needed a closer look. The thing with the bunker is, if they take time to make the decision no one's happy, if they don't take enough time and get the decision wrong, no one's happy.

"If it takes longer than people feel it needs but the right decision comes out of it, that's the right thing to do. Graham showed strong leadership in what was next, let's move on."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ight-at-home-in-no-7-jumper-mcgregor/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
July 27 2020 - 8:00PM
Kerr finding his voice through NRL journey
Dragons Den
Comments
r0_0_5196_3175_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PLATFORM: "Going through what I did growing up, I've realised the effect I can have on someone else if I do stand up and be proud." Dragons prop Josh Kerr. Picture: NRL Imagery

JOSH Kerr can't recall how young he was when he first got called a 'monkey', but he knows he was too young to understand why.

It was hurtful back then. These days, it makes the 24-year-old's blood boil, which is something to behold given how difficult it is to raise his hackles. Certainly as front-rowers go, Kerr's as un-confrontational as it gets.

Plenty have claims to the title, but the big Queenslander is probably the nicest man in rugby league. It's just his nature.

It's why, as a kid, he'd find himself laughing along when subjected to casual racism by classmates. It was subtle, but it hurt even more than the overt slurs lobbed by strangers from the sidelines.

"Growing up [in Redcliffe] there weren't a whole lot of indigenous kids around, I grew up with mostly non-indigenous people," Kerr said.

"There were all these jokes about stealing and whatever else, I'm sure everyone's heard them. There were little jokes about indigenous people being drunk and on drugs, that we get free houses and cars from the government... things like that.

"There were only a handful of other indigenous people I knew around school so when they'd say those jokes I'd laugh along just to feel included. There was stigma I grew up with that hurt because myself and family weren't anything like that.

"I remember getting called a monkey from the sideline when I was young. I didn't really understand what it meant. It's one of those things, I look at it now in hindsight and I get riled up.

"I tried to deal with it by trying to make it look like it didn't affect me but it was in my head. Growing up and not really being proud of who I am, there was a point in time I felt ashamed because I felt everyone thought that about indigenous people."

Thankfully those earlier struggles were merely the first difficult steps on a much longer journey to the heights of the NRL.

While the young Josh Kerr found it difficult to speak up then, he's well and truly found his voice on his rise to elite rugby league - including two appearances for the Indigenous All-Stars.

"The person who stands out the most for me is Joel Thompson when I arrived at the Dragons, just how proud he was of our culture," Kerr said.

"He was the person who really made me stand up, stick my chest out and make me really proud of who I am. Going through what I did growing up, I've realised and the effect I can have on someone else if I do stand up and be proud.

"If I was stronger with my culture, and I knew what I know now when I was younger, I'd probably speak up a lot more. I'm so thankful to have the platform to do that now.

"An NRL player has a lot more cameras and microphones put in front of them. If I say something it's going to reach a wider spectrum of people than the regular person. That's the goal, to educate and tell a story about where we come from."

For Kerr, a proud Nughi Nunukul man of the Quandamooka Nation from Stradbroke Island, that education has been complex but rewarding, not just for himself, but for his family. It's something he naturally reflects on in weeks like the approaching NRL Indigenous Round.

"When my mother was born her indigenous mother, my Nanna Judy, had to give her up for adoption," Kerr said.

"Nanna Osborne, who adopted my mother, was literally an angel and still is. She kept in contact with Nanna Judy and when my mum was in her teens she introduced them.

"I don't go too far into because it's a personal story for them but I'm very lucky, my indigenous family is such a beautiful family of beautiful people that love their culture.

"Every time I get back home we try and book a trip over to North Stradbroke Island where my people are from, the Quandamooka Nughi Nunukul people. Learning about that culture, going back and seeing my nanna do all the rituals, all the Welcome to Country and speaking in our language is unreal.

"It's hard to describe how special and how powerful being that connected to culture is. I'm a lot prouder and more passionate about it because of the education I've received around that."

r0_0_4220_3599_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CALL IT OUT: After enduring racist slurs as a teenager, Indigenous All-Star Josh Kerr says he's now confident speaking up against racism. Picture: Anna Warr

There is, however, an uncomfortable flipside to education. No honest look at our country's history is complete without acknowledging the pain it holds for First Nations people.

One thing Kerr has certainly learned is that, just because indigenous athletes can find a platform through sport, it doesn't mean everyone will take kindly to what they have to say.

AFL great, and former Australian of the Year, Adam Goodes' sad departure from the game in 2015 amid hail of racist vitriol remains a stain in the country's sporting history.

In the NRL, the game's biggest indigenous stars like Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Josh Addo-Carr have become constant targets for criticism since making a public stance against the national anthem.

Walker first went public with his views after the 2019 All-Stars clash, one shared by other indigenous players through the State of Origin series and into this year's meeting with the Maori All-Stars.

Last year Mitchell also went public about the racist abuse he's suffered at the hands of online trolls as a result. Kerr admits it can be disheartening, but he remains confident things are moving in the right direction.

"Latrell is a mate of mine, he's a brother of mine, and when I hear some of the things he's dealt with I just think... how can we take so many steps back?," he said.

"You wish it would just go away. The truth is it probably isn't going to for a long time but, from where it was to now, it's leaps and bounds ahead. Adam Goodes, Latrell Mitchell, these guys are proud and you see that they're proud.

"I've been called names and made a joke of and laughed along with people laughing at me to fit in. I look back on it now and think it was silly, stand up and be proud of who you are.

"I think people that did laugh back then were probably uncomfortable as well. If I'd said something then people might have stood with me. I think we are seeing that now."

The anthem stance, a position unanimously shared by the Indigenous squad ahead of this year's All-Stars clash, is a case in point.

Kerr and his teammates were not naive enough to think it wouldn't cause a stir, but it was price they were willing to pay to drive the national conversation forward.

"When we played the All-Stars game and didn't sing the anthem, I a hundred per cent knew some people were going to say we were racist, ungrateful and all the rest and they did," Kerr said.

"We didn't think it was all just going to go away after that but I knew at the point in time I was doing something to open peoples eyes and educate people as to why we were doing it.

"I think some people did get educated about the anthem and I think we are in better place now because there's a lot more people wanting to learn these things. Sometimes we just need to stop and listen and have that uncomfortable conversation.

"Not everyone's going to agree but you might change some people. That's the price I'm willing to pay so my children can hopefully live in a world free of racism. That might be wishful thinking, but as long as I'm doing my part to eradicate it, then I'm happy."

Most importantly, the message is now being heard at NRL HQ. In launching this year's round on Monday, ARLC chairman Peter V'landys said the 'Pass Back, Move Forward' theme will encourage people to have a more honest look at our country's history in order to move forward.

"This Round and this campaign reminds us all of the need for better awareness of Australia's history to ensure a fairer future for all," V'landys said.

"Thanks to Commissioner Megan Davis, I have spent time listening to a delegation of our Indigenous players. In fact, I was very disappointed with myself for not being aware of the difficulties and challenges they endured.

getsmarty

Immortal
Part 2

"I now have a much better understanding of their issues and I was greatly inspired by their passion and commitment in having a voice for their community.

"I now hope for the greater community to have awareness of their history and culture. We all have a role to play in educating ourselves about the past so that we may embrace a more inclusive future together."

r0_0_5131_3421_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PRIDE: "It's hard to describe how special, and how powerful, being that connected to your culture is." Josh Kerr. Picture: Anna Warr

An NRL player has a lot more cameras and microphones put in front of them than the regular person. If I say something it's going to reach a wider spectrum of people and, going through what I did growing up, I've realised the effect I can have on someone else if I do stand up and be proud of our culture and where I come from.

Josh Kerr
The Dragons will kick it off against the Rabbitohs on Thursday and Kerr says his thoughts will inevitably turn back to those earlier tough days and bring a smile at how far things have come.

"There's a quote I often come back to in my mind: 'it only takes one brave man to stand up to stiffen the spine of others," Kerr said.

"The first time I really felt proud was seeing what Preston Campbell did with the first Indigenous All-Stars game.

"Back then there used to be a rugby league store on the Redcliffe Esplanade and everyone was rushing in to try and buy the Indigenous jersey, non-indigenous people as well. It blew me away.

"Rugby league is a confident man's sport and, once I got into NRL systems, the guys have helped me be myself and be a more confident guy.

"It's always been harder for me to stand up but that's how rugby league's helped me. Seeing guys like Preston Campbell, being around guys like Latrell, Joel Thompson, Cody Walker... It's stiffened me to say 'this is what I believe, I'm proud of who I am'."

And the thought that the next 'Josh Kerr' could well be watching on at home?

"That still blows me away," he said.

"I know I'm not Cameron Smith or someone like that that's done it all over all those years. I still can't believe I'm playing in the NRL.

"I was that kid wishing it would happen one day. The thought there might be one kid watching me do that... I still feel like I'm going to wake up from something. It's unreal."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...err-finding-his-voice-on-nrl-journey/?cs=3713

Crush

Coach
July 29 2020 - 3:30PM
Hunt right at home in No. 7 jumper: McGregor
Dragons Den
r414_0_3885_3186_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOME: Ben Hunt is back at halfback for Thursday's clash with the Rabbitohs. Picture: NRL Imagery

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor says Ben Hunt will always be the most scrutinised player on the park, whatever number he has on his back.

It will be No. 7 this week, with McGregor shifting him back to his preferred position after Adam Clune was ruled out of Thursday's clash with the Rabbitohs with concussion.

It will, briefly at least, suspend his stint as first-choice dummy-half since being shifted there six weeks ago in an effort to reboot the Dragons season.

It's worked to good effect, with the 30-year-old nudging top form since making the switch, but McGregor didn't hesitate to shift him back once Clune was ruled out.

"I think whatever Ben does no one's ever going to be happy with," McGregor said.

"He seems to be a player people really go after consistently but he's a very good footballer, he's experienced and he'll do a good job.

"It's a forced change, we've got two [Clune and Trent Merrin] guys with HIA's from the game and with the five-day turn it wasn't the right thing by them or the team to put them out there.

"Ben and Cam [McInnes] know how to play seven and nine because they've done it most of their careers. Ben likes to play seven so he's back to his preferred position.

"He's an experienced player and he teams up with Corey [Norman] who he's played a lot of football with. Corey's got a milestone of 200 [games] so I expect my halves to lead us around the field well."

The reshuffle sees Tristan Sailor called in for his first top-grade appearance. There's been speculation he could start in the halves, but McGregor said the 22-year-old is there for his all-round utility value.

"His best position is one, for sure, but he's played a lot of six in his life," McGregor said.

"The versatility around Tristan is good because the move of Ben to nine had a lot to do with what middles we didn't have available and [having] the ball-playing middle we need in Cam going to 13.

"There's an opportunity there if we need a little it more out of our middle we can move Benny to nine and Cam to 13 and put Tristan straight onto that edge.

"He's done some work there before and he's done a lot of work there the last couple of days there, he knows the systems. He's been 18th man for five or six weeks so he was ready for the opportunity, now it's there."

McGregor was left fuming with the bunker howler that gifted the Sharks a try in their win over the Dragons last week.

It prompted Graham Annesley to immediately stand down bunker officials Steve Clark and Ben Galea, but McGregor said it was time to move past it.

"That's strong leadership from Graham, it's not my department and that's what I meant around accountability, nothing sinister," McGregor said.

"I got asked a question, I didn't raise it, and it was very fresh. At this stage, or any stage, it's not good enough to make decision when you have the correct material to make the right decisions.

"Two looks, early in the game, slippery conditions, it just needed a closer look. The thing with the bunker is, if they take time to make the decision no one's happy, if they don't take enough time and get the decision wrong, no one's happy.

"If it takes longer than people feel it needs but the right decision comes out of it, that's the right thing to do. Graham showed strong leadership in what was next, let's move on."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ight-at-home-in-no-7-jumper-mcgregor/?cs=3713
"I think whatever Ben does, nobody is ever going to be happy with"
WTF is Mary talking about here?
Such a crock of BS.
People are not happy with him because he lets the team down so often with poor performances.
If he starts playing like Keary, Moses, Cleary I'll be happy with him! Because that's what we bought, a marquee half to lead our team around.
And don't tell me its the forwards fault, its Ben's lack of confidence and ability to handle pressure thats the problem. If only he handled pressure like Cleary.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
"I think whatever Ben does, nobody is ever going to be happy with"
WTF is Mary talking about here?
Such a crock of BS.
People are not happy with him because he lets the team down so often with poor performances.
If he starts playing like Keary, Moses, Cleary I'll be happy with him! Because that's what we bought, a marquee half to lead our team around.
And don't tell me its the forwards fault, its Ben's lack of confidence and ability to handle pressure thats the problem. If only he handled pressure like Cleary.
At hooker he was going beautifully but he's just not a halfback. Real shame Clune got injured I would prefer he went with Sailor or Sullivan to keep the continuity in the spine. I was confident we could make the 8 but last week was a must win and and we lost.

WepnutV

Juniors
Blacker and Ramsey must be wondering what
they have done wrong.
Well Ramsey won't be. He
Is Ramsey in the top 30? I dident think he was. He did hear he got upgraded to devolpment squad but is not listed. Before cornovirus hit he was expected to play a year in reggies with no intentions of giveing him a debut until next year but I may be wrong.. Anyone know for certain whether he is eligible for selection?

randomdragon

Juniors
Does anyone have a feeling there will be a late change with sailor starting half and us going back to normal with hunt and hooker and McInnes at lock? I’ve been thinking it all week otherwise I don’t see why all of a sudden we would put a back on the bench when we haven’t had one in ages

WepnutV

Juniors
At hooker he was going beautifully but he's just not a halfback. Real shame Clune got injured I would prefer he went with Sailor or Sullivan to keep the continuity in the spine. I was confident we could make the 8 but last week was a must win and and we lost.
I think this week is the must win game
Does anyone have a feeling there will be a late change with sailor starting half and us going back to normal with hunt and hooker and McInnes at lock? I’ve been thinking it all week otherwise I don’t see why all of a sudden we would put a back on the bench when we haven’t had one in ages
Not a chance as sailor is lacking in match fitness. I expect him to come on around 50 minute mark

getsmarty

Immortal
duftym-200717_gt_0.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty's investment property paying on-field dividends
Author
Brad Walter Reporting from Dharawal nation
Timestamp
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 08:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Matt Dufty has credited a move to Wollongong to be closer to training with a dramatic form turnaround for St George Illawarra that may have saved his career.

Dufty, who has scored eight tries in nine matches, admits training had become a "punish" last year as he travelled from Sydney to WIN Stadium but the 24-year-old fullback is now among the first to arrive and last to leave at most sessions.

The benefits are obvious for a player who was told he was free to find another club at the end of last season but has now regained his No.1 jersey and is not only one of the NRL’s leading try-scorers but features among the top 10 players for try assists and line break assists.

"It has been a big turnaround and I think a reason for that is moving from Sydney to Wollongong," Dufty said leading into Thursday night’s clash with South Sydney.

"It cuts the travel in half and I have been getting to training earlier, and staying a bit later."

Dufty bought a house at Flinders and St George Illawarra second-rower Tyrell Fuimaono has moved in with him.

"I was going to buy it as an investment and stay up in Sydney but then I thought I could halve the travel time to training and it has worked out really well," he said.

"After the club said they didn’t want me I was in a pretty bad place.

"I didn’t really like footy and training was a punish but I came into the pre-season and I thought to myself ‘I am really going to turn it around’.

"It is going to be hard but I really want to do it for myself so I am going to train hard and I put in the best pre-season I have ever done. I don’t think it is a fluke. It is through hard work."

The Penshurst RSL junior ignored the pain of a dislocated finger to combine with centre Zac Lomax for two tries in last Saturday’s controversial 28-24 loss to Cronulla and had a try disallowed in the 77th minute after fumbling a Ben Hunt grubber.

The pair have been proving a handful for defences trying to contain the Dragons' right edge, where Dufty has created four tries for Lomax and three for winger Mikaele Ravalawa.

Their partnership is likely to become an even more potent as both spent the pre-season training for the fullback role so they hadn't expected to play together.

Lomax lives near WIN Stadium and teammates joke he sleeps there but the extra time at training has helped him and Dufty to work on their combination.

"Zac is a good example of someone who puts in the hard work reaping the rewards," Dufty said.

"He is there all the time, he only lives around the corner. He gets there early and leaves late. He puts in a lot of work so I am really happy to see the form Zac is in because he is killing it.

"At the end of last season when the club said they didn’t want me it was a hard pill to swallow. I looked around in the pre-season and I still thought my best shot at playing first grade was with the Dragons.

"I had a good pre-season and it is unfortunate I broke my [cheekbone] at the NRL Nines but I got back and I am really happy with where I am at the moment."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the commitment of Dufty and Lomax at training was beginning to pay off for them and the team.

"They're two of the young guys that are going really well," McGregor said.

"That's on the professionalism they're showing. Duft's moved down to Wollongong, he's closer to the training base, he trains early and leaves late, he does extras, he works hard with the assistant coaches.

"I don't think Zac goes home. He's there the whole time. It's the way they really apply themselves to their trade through the week and they're getting the results on the weekend. It's a bright future for those two guys in the club."

Fuimaono, who joined the club from Souths, said he was also benefiting from the move to Wollongong.

"Before I moved I was probably driving 90 minutes per day each way to training so cutting that out of my daily routine has freed up two hours of time not sitting in the car," the second-rower said.

"We are under a pretty strict living regime now where we are not allowed to leave the house ... but before we went back into restrictions I was living right near the water so I was making use of that to go for recovery swims and whatnot."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/30/duftys-investment-property-paying-on-field-dividends/

Dragon David

First Grade
duftym-200717_gt_0.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty's investment property paying on-field dividends
Author
Brad Walter Reporting from Dharawal nation
Timestamp
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 08:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Matt Dufty has credited a move to Wollongong to be closer to training with a dramatic form turnaround for St George Illawarra that may have saved his career.

Dufty, who has scored eight tries in nine matches, admits training had become a "punish" last year as he travelled from Sydney to WIN Stadium but the 24-year-old fullback is now among the first to arrive and last to leave at most sessions.

The benefits are obvious for a player who was told he was free to find another club at the end of last season but has now regained his No.1 jersey and is not only one of the NRL’s leading try-scorers but features among the top 10 players for try assists and line break assists.

"It has been a big turnaround and I think a reason for that is moving from Sydney to Wollongong," Dufty said leading into Thursday night’s clash with South Sydney.

"It cuts the travel in half and I have been getting to training earlier, and staying a bit later."

Dufty bought a house at Flinders and St George Illawarra second-rower Tyrell Fuimaono has moved in with him.

"I was going to buy it as an investment and stay up in Sydney but then I thought I could halve the travel time to training and it has worked out really well," he said.

"After the club said they didn’t want me I was in a pretty bad place.

"I didn’t really like footy and training was a punish but I came into the pre-season and I thought to myself ‘I am really going to turn it around’.

"It is going to be hard but I really want to do it for myself so I am going to train hard and I put in the best pre-season I have ever done. I don’t think it is a fluke. It is through hard work."

The Penshurst RSL junior ignored the pain of a dislocated finger to combine with centre Zac Lomax for two tries in last Saturday’s controversial 28-24 loss to Cronulla and had a try disallowed in the 77th minute after fumbling a Ben Hunt grubber.

The pair have been proving a handful for defences trying to contain the Dragons' right edge, where Dufty has created four tries for Lomax and three for winger Mikaele Ravalawa.

Their partnership is likely to become an even more potent as both spent the pre-season training for the fullback role so they hadn't expected to play together.

Lomax lives near WIN Stadium and teammates joke he sleeps there but the extra time at training has helped him and Dufty to work on their combination.

"Zac is a good example of someone who puts in the hard work reaping the rewards," Dufty said.

"He is there all the time, he only lives around the corner. He gets there early and leaves late. He puts in a lot of work so I am really happy to see the form Zac is in because he is killing it.

"At the end of last season when the club said they didn’t want me it was a hard pill to swallow. I looked around in the pre-season and I still thought my best shot at playing first grade was with the Dragons.

"I had a good pre-season and it is unfortunate I broke my [cheekbone] at the NRL Nines but I got back and I am really happy with where I am at the moment."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the commitment of Dufty and Lomax at training was beginning to pay off for them and the team.

"They're two of the young guys that are going really well," McGregor said.

"That's on the professionalism they're showing. Duft's moved down to Wollongong, he's closer to the training base, he trains early and leaves late, he does extras, he works hard with the assistant coaches.

"I don't think Zac goes home. He's there the whole time. It's the way they really apply themselves to their trade through the week and they're getting the results on the weekend. It's a bright future for those two guys in the club."

Fuimaono, who joined the club from Souths, said he was also benefiting from the move to Wollongong.

"Before I moved I was probably driving 90 minutes per day each way to training so cutting that out of my daily routine has freed up two hours of time not sitting in the car," the second-rower said.

"We are under a pretty strict living regime now where we are not allowed to leave the house ... but before we went back into restrictions I was living right near the water so I was making use of that to go for recovery swims and whatnot."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/30/duftys-investment-property-paying-on-field-dividends/
Moving to the 'Gong has helped Dufty, Fuimaono and Lomax already lives near WIN Stadium so the three can train longer and have less stress travelling back and forth to their homes. I think it would help a lot of other players if they are living closer to Sydney although I'm not too sure who they would be if any?