What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Bulldogs

Campion

Juniors
3- Kodi - Without him we don't win, sparked everything we did well. Did a fair bit averagely (final tackle options, goal kicking was woeful) but also did a lot very well. Getting better and better each week and seems to relish the extra responsibility.
2- Murchie - Massive enthusiasm and skill. Excited about his future
1- Jazz - I rate this bloke so highly. Like a Micheal Luck lite - just brings endless energy and the intangible stuff that teams need. I know he brings some shit sometimes but hopefully over time that stuff will slide out of his game.

I agree with the comments here on Jazz. I'm a huge fan but he is much maligned. He's getting 150m+ every game!!

For me:
3 Murchie
2 Nikorima
1 Tevaga

Big Marn

Juniors
I agree with the comments here on Jazz. I'm a huge fan but he is much maligned. He's getting 150m+ every game!!

For me:
3 Murchie
2 Nikorima
1 Tevaga

Lets put this game in perspective. We beat the bottom team in the comp...just.
If we really want to compete with the big boys changes are going to come and a big upgrade at lock is needed. Jazz is no more than a bench spot if we are playing the long game.

Reactions: JJ

Scott

Bench
3- Kodi - Without him we don't win, sparked everything we did well. Did a fair bit averagely (final tackle options, goal kicking was woeful) but also did a lot very well. Getting better and better each week and seems to relish the extra responsibility.
2- Murchie - Massive enthusiasm and skill. Excited about his future
1- Jazz - I rate this bloke so highly. Like a Micheal Luck lite - just brings endless energy and the intangible stuff that teams need. I know he brings some shit sometimes but hopefully over time that stuff will slide out of his game.

Cannot agree more with you on Jazz. He is the heart & soul of the team. Sure, he frustrates on occasion, but he should be one of the first picked everyweek.

Benek

Juniors
Happy for him to be one of the first picked every week, as a bench impact player. Not a starting lock or prop.

Meth

Staff member
Lets put this game in perspective. We beat the bottom team in the comp...just.

Far be it from me to be the optimist around here, but I think we showed a lot of character to come back from 0-10 down and we also probably won more comfortably than the score suggested.

Big Marn

Juniors
Disagree. We were actually making a complete mess of closing out that game. From about 10 mins to go, set restart, set restart penalty, penalty for throwing the boot away. Great tackle from Perham snuffed out one chance, then a great tackle from hiku snuffed out another good chance. We then missed a dg from straight out on front to ice the game and gave them a 7 tackle set with 2mins to go. Could easily have gone to Golden point. Thankfully we came away with the chocolates. But comfortable was not how I was feeling at the end of the game

Meth

Staff member
Disagree. We were actually making a complete mess of closing out that game. From about 10 mins to go, set restart, set restart penalty, penalty for throwing the boot away. Great tackle from Perham snuffed out one chance, then a great tackle from hiku snuffed out another good chance. We then missed a dg from straight out on front to ice the game and gave them a 7 tackle set with 2mins to go. Could easily have gone to Golden point. Thankfully we came away with the chocolates. But comfortable was not how I was feeling at the end of the game

Fair enough.

I felt pretty comfortable.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Once we were 6 up I was fairly confident, but we do miss Green in those situations. I enjoyed the game, I thought it was quite good quality footy and the Dogs as the commentary team were saying are playing better than their position suggests. They’ve been competitive in every game bar one in the last six weeks.

vvvrulz

Coach
3. RTS
2. Kodi
1. Turner

Loads of HM’s, nice to see a huge spread in the points for once

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Again, I don't understand the chat about Jazz getting dominated in the middle. Yes, you'd think he would given how small he is, but it doesn't happen - without going to the stats, his metres per hit up, post contact metres and ability to offload in gang tackles appear to me to be among the best in the team. Invariably he seems to add to the go forward, not be a road block. Seems to be a criticism based on how people expect him to play, not how he actually does.

Admittedly I have not specifically concentrated on his defence to the same extent, but haven't noticed him being a standout poor defender?

And also, it's kinda BS anyway that we were dominated early yesterday. We were the better team for the first 15 minutes or so, and then there was about a 10 minute spell where we went to shit. First 15 minutes we made plenty of metres on our sets and fluffed a couple of good chances.

As has been mentioned, Burr and JTB as starting props don't provide a great deal of go-forward and are more culpable than Jazz in that respect.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Honestly I don't think there was any point in the game yesterday where the Dogs forwards really impressed so I don't know where that's coming from. There was pretty much one moment (the second try) where Lawton and JTB went to sleep at marker and they made a break through the middle. Other than that we had their measure pretty comfortably.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Again, I don't understand the chat about Jazz getting dominated in the middle. Yes, you'd think he would given how small he is, but it doesn't happen - without going to the stats, his metres per hit up, post contact metres and ability to offload in gang tackles appear to me to be among the best in the team. Invariably he seems to add to the go forward, not be a road block. Seems to be a criticism based on how people expect him to play, not how he actually does.

Admittedly I have not specifically concentrated on his defence to the same extent, but haven't noticed him being a standout poor defender?

And also, it's kinda BS anyway that we were dominated early yesterday. We were the better team for the first 15 minutes or so, and then there was about a 10 minute spell where we went to shit. First 15 minutes we made plenty of metres on our sets and fluffed a couple of good chances.

As has been mentioned, Burr and JTB as starting props don't provide a great deal of go-forward and are more culpable than Jazz in that respect.

Yeah I completely agree.

Metres gained in the last four weeks: 168, 154, 104, 185. That's a shit tonne more than Taunoa-Brown, Burr, Blair, Murchie and Papalii etc. Harris and Jazz are doing all the metre-eating work up front.

He had 85 post-contact metres on Sunday. He makes tackle breaks, he offloads, he gains metres. His defense could stand to be better, no doubt. His efficiency could be higher, he's not Micheal Luck in that regard. But he gets to the ball on defense, he's making around 40 tackles a game in 50 minutes of playing time. Again, that's work others aren't doing.

I don't buy the 'he needs to be an interchange player' thing either. He's started at lock the last 5 weeks and we've played good footy. We aimed up to the Roosters, and sizeable packs with the Tigers,Sea Eagles and Panthers.

I think there's an element of a bit of lazy analysis of a guy who looks like he should get dominated but doesn't.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, my issue with Tevaga is not his size or his work rate. It’s the error or the penalty. When he cuts those out (as he did on the weekend), he’s fine

Meth

Staff member

yeah, that’s about right.

I think when most people referred to getting dominated early, they were talking about our middle- specifically, JTB and Burr. Whoever was making metres early, it wasn’t them.

Big Marn

Juniors
yeah, that’s about right.

I think when most people referred to getting dominated early, they were talking about our middle- specifically, JTB and Burr. Whoever was making metres early, it wasn’t them.
JTB was making 10m per hitup, and made 33 tackles 1 less than Jazz who was on the field for 20 more minutes.
Burr was less efficient with only 7m per hitup, but also made 33 tackles and was on the field 25minutes less than Jazz.
Both have better tackle efficiency than Jazz.
You can make a case for players with stats anyway you want. Those players were way more busy defending against the Dogs middle guys during the time allocated to them and had less energy to take the hitups. If you watch the game closely you see Jazz come in as the third man time and again, which gives him more energy to be taking more hitups. With the extra time on the field, it stands to reason he makes more metres by the end of the game.
Hes a polarising player. Go look at all the teams in the top 4. You wont see a player weighing 94kg and 1.78m tall playing at lock. He should be playing hooker or nowhere if we want to get out of our bottom 8 funk in the long run.
Heart as big as himself, but too small to be helping the Warriors win anything significant in his current position.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/11...ng-due-to-huge-growth-in-fullbacks-and-props/

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Go look at all the teams in the top 4. You wont see a player weighing 94kg and 1.78m tall playing at lock. He should be playing hooker or nowhere if we want to get out of our bottom 8 funk in the long run.
Heart as big as himself, but too small to be helping the Warriors win anything significant in his current position.

How can you say this with a straight face when the last 2 premierships were won by a 92kg lock?

Big Marn

Juniors
How can you say this with a straight face when the last 2 premierships were won by a 92kg lock?
who has been moved to hooker and is out with an ACL injury for the rest of the season. And how can you say Tevaga is in the same class as Radley with a straight face?