What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Don't sack Seibold

Apey

Staff member
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wo...owner-on-last-day-in-job-20200825-p55p8o.html

OPINION
'Wouldn't man up': Seibold savages Broncos owner on last day in job.
Andrew Webster

The deliberate, methodical campaign to extract Seibold from Red Hill finally succeeded on Tuesday afternoon when he agreed to quit with at least three years remaining on his contract.

This whole article was garbage but this was my favourite bit. Yeah it was the methodical campaign to get rid of him that did him in, not the team's performance.

_Johnsy

Referee
This whole article was garbage but this was my favourite bit. Yeah it was the methodical campaign to get rid of him that did him in, not the team's performance.
Obviously you take the article with a grain of salt, but even the most loyal broncs fan would admit it has a ring of truth to it. It will be interesting to see if the board escape this fiasco untouched.

_Johnsy

Referee
He had one bad season at Catalans. The previous year, despite winning only 1 from the first 6, they made the finals and fell one game short of the GF.

His earlier coaching record was quite good.

He coached the Toowoomba Clydesdales to a premiership in the 2001 Qld Cup - played 20, won 18, lost 1

Qld Cup 2007 Ipswich Jets - coached them to 4th position - played 20, won 13, drew 1, lost 6
Qld Cup 2008 Ipswich Jets - coached them to minor premiership and beaten GFinalist - Played 20, won 16, +327 points diff.

106 games - 67.5% winning percentage.
That suggests that the guy can coach.

Someone is crushing on Kev.

Bronco18

Juniors
Obviously you take the article with a grain of salt, but even the most loyal broncs fan would admit it has a ring of truth to it. It will be interesting to see if the board escape this fiasco untouched.

Board/recruitment/CEO - all of which were more in control of the Bird/Milford/Boyd trifecta of awful than Seibold. Not to mention them the 5+ year deal they gave Seibold.

Seibold’s sacking was overdue, but it’s right in saying they can’t just use him as a scapegoat.

Pommy

Coach
Madge believes he stabbed him in the back get his job at Souths and whilst I think Madges time was up I don’t think he’s the sort of person to invent this. If it’s true he deserves the nest of Vipers he walked in to at Brisbane.

no name

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wo...owner-on-last-day-in-job-20200825-p55p8o.html

OPINION
'Wouldn't man up': Seibold savages Broncos owner on last day in job.
Andrew Webster

For the past 18 months, Anthony Seibold has been dealing with personal attacks from a variety of angles. The first wave came from the frontline of former Broncos players who were angry Seibold was appointed head coach ahead of Kevin Walters.

Then the hand grenades came from Wayne Bennett, who believed he should never have been replaced by Seibold in the first place. Last week, the sewer of social media became the main supply of Seibold hate, spreading lies about his personal life. They were so rank he called in lawyers and cybercrime experts.

When the Broncos' largest private investor, Phil Murphy, on Monday compared the coach to a “cancer that needs to be cut out before the Broncos die”, Seibold had simply had enough.

“I got his number and tried to call him today, but he hung up when I said who it was,” Seibold told the Herald. “Wouldn't man up and own his comments. That’s the measure of a man. “I don’t know the bloke. He has nothing to do with our club other than own some shares. Seen him three times in my life. The last time was when some players asked for him to be banned from the change rooms after a game last year because of his behaviour.”

The deliberate, methodical campaign to extract Seibold from Red Hill finally succeeded on Tuesday afternoon when he agreed to quit with at least three years remaining on his contract. It remains unclear how much he will receive of the $3 million he would’ve earned if he'd stayed on. A figure of $1.5 million has been widely speculated but can’t be confirmed. With no performance clauses in his deal, he was in the box seat if the club sacked him.

Seibold insisted he brought the matter to a head after chairman Karl Morris told him on Friday the board wanted him to coach the remaining five matches before the dreaded "end-of-season review" was undertaken. News Corp denied speculation it had stepped in, along with claims chief executive Michael Miller had recently requested a copy of Seibold’s contract to check for performance clauses.
But it can be revealed former Broncos players have been privately messaging Miller to vent their frustration because of how poorly the side has been performing. That in itself highlights the depth of despair at the once-proud Broncos.

They can stop texting because Seibold has coached his final game for the club. He will address his players on Wednesday morning and then hold a 9am media conference before getting out of Dodge. He will then spend a week on a mate’s farm with his NRL future in serious doubt, just two years after being named Dally M coach of the year because of what he achieved as a rookie at Souths.

It is a stunning fall from grace and there are several reasons for it, but perhaps the most obvious is Seibold never handled the intense scrutiny, pressure and expectation that comes with coaching the Broncos. Only one man ever has. Morris and chief executive Paul White decided long ago that winning their power struggle with Bennett meant more to them than on-field success.

Seibold showed as far back as December 2018 that he would struggle with the attacks coming his way. When he and Bennett swapped jobs for the 2020 season, Bennett dug in his heels and said he wanted to coach out the 2019 season with Brisbane, that he owed it to his players and all that jazz.

“I have had a gutful,” Seibold said at the time. “I’ve been sitting here for four weeks and feeling like a punching bag. It’s not acceptable and it's not fair ... I’m sick of Wayne carrying on. "I’ve bit my tongue and said nothing until now. I just want clarity and so do the players. I feel for the players at both clubs. It’s a joke.”

The mouse had taken the cheese. From then on, he became an easy nut to crack and his detractors have been cracking them ever since. When his side won seven from nine heading into the finals last year, the hand grenades were easily deflected.

But the white noise crept in this season after each humiliating loss as the opposition posted cricket scores, all live on prime-time TV reserved for the high-rating Broncos. Club insiders say since the COVID-19 break, the team has been divided between those who were prepared to play for Seibold and those who weren’t.

There’s certainly a whiff of entitlement about many of them, not least Tevita Pangai jnr who now wants to stay at the club — with the help of a PR adviser — despite trashing it for weeks.

That’s something that would never have happened on Bennett’s watch. Sure, many Broncos players over the years have projected the sense of privilege that can appear at one-city teams, but the skinny coach worked it to his advantage.

He always had their support. Seibold did not.

Hilarious, that the white anting started from day 1.

Ex players angry their mate didn’t get the job, what a pack of self entitled twats. Kulcha
How pathetic that this has become a Fairfax Vs News issue.

Canard

Immortal
He had one bad season at Catalans. The previous year, despite winning only 1 from the first 6, they made the finals and fell one game short of the GF.

His earlier coaching record was quite good.

He coached the Toowoomba Clydesdales to a premiership in the 2001 Qld Cup - played 20, won 18, lost 1

Qld Cup 2007 Ipswich Jets - coached them to 4th position - played 20, won 13, drew 1, lost 6
Qld Cup 2008 Ipswich Jets - coached them to minor premiership and beaten GFinalist - Played 20, won 16, +327 points diff.

106 games - 67.5% winning percentage.
That suggests that the guy can coach.

The 2001 Premiership with the Broncos feeder team was a stacked side, coaching is easier when you have the most talented side in the comp full of future NRL stars.

Screenshot_20200826-063643_YouTube.jpg

_Johnsy

Referee
Board/recruitment/CEO - all of which were more in control of the Bird/Milford/Boyd trifecta of awful than Seibold. Not to mention them the 5+ year deal they gave Seibold.

Seibold’s sacking was overdue, but it’s right in saying they can’t just use him as a scapegoat.

My dislike/contempt for the Broncs is well known, however this current fiasco is so un-Bronco like. They are usually a club that keeps this sort of stuff pretty quiet & in house. It isn't a stretch to say they are usually in the top echelon of best run clubs. IMO it can only point to a "in-house" job on Seibold as the Brisbane media are usually happy to keep stories out of the headlines. I think this fiasco will result in some collateral damage and lasting scars, it will take a few years to sort out. That is why the next coaching appointment is the most important in the clubs history.

How pathetic that this has become a Fairfax Vs News issue.

That's media for you in 2020.

Sphagnum

Coach
Walters would be the worst coach since they had that absolute bye machine seibold in charge. Let the good times roll, donkeys

gerg

Juniors
My dislike/contempt for the Broncs is well known, however this current fiasco is so un-Bronco like. They are usually a club that keeps this sort of stuff pretty quiet & in house. It isn't a stretch to say they are usually in the top echelon of best run clubs. IMO it can only point to a "in-house" job on Seibold as the Brisbane media are usually happy to keep stories out of the headlines. I think this fiasco will result in some collateral damage and lasting scars, it will take a few years to sort out. That is why the next coaching appointment is the most important in the clubs history.

That's media for you in 2020.

It's really not that difficult to keep their shit out of the media when you're owned by News Corp

lynx000

Juniors
Madge believes he stabbed him in the back get his job at Souths and whilst I think Madges time was up I don’t think he’s the sort of person to invent this. If it’s true he deserves the nest of Vipers he walked in to at Brisbane.
This has been denied by Shane Richardson, and denied by him again after leaving South's.

lynx000

Juniors
The 2001 Premiership with the Broncos feeder team was a stacked side, coaching is easier when you have the most talented side in the comp full of future NRL stars.

View attachment 41325
Yes, but he also rebuilt the Jets got them a minor premiership and into a GF. Do we discount Robinson's last 2 GF wins because he has a stacked side?

_Johnsy

Referee
Not at all, just addressing what I consider to be an unfair analysis relying on one year out of his coaching history. You would be a fan of balance and fairness johnsy?

Yet you are, a one eyed Broncs fan, really?

I'm happy for you to show me where I have passed judgement on Kev's coaching ability anywhere in this thread that is anything but fair or balanced. I'm happy to wait.

Canard

Immortal
Yes, but he also rebuilt the Jets got them a minor premiership and into a GF. Do we discount Robinson's last 2 GF wins because he has a stacked side?

There is certain level of parity at NRL level though, even the Titans and Cowboys can challenge on a good side on their day.

This side was full of future internationals and NRL stars playing opposition that still had day jobs.

yobbo84

First Grade
Poor guy, walking away from his job with a seven-figure sum at a time when a lot of people are struggling to put food on the table. Woe is him.

big hit!

Bench

There has never been such an unbalanced squad in the history of rugby league. All this goes on the people who have been making roster decisions for at least the last 5 years. Can't use the 2015 GF as a reason that things were going swimmingly. Sir Alex Ferguson said he was always looking at how his squad was looking 4 years ahead. I'll take tips re roster management from him Paul White.

Last edited:

Latest posts