What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Big Marn

Juniors
From what I've seen bigger international leagues seem to be more lenient - may just be a sample size thing, as I follow NRL/Rugby/NFL and some soccer... and nothing else, to any degree - so I don't even get the big story headlines from other sports.

EPL is usually up to the club. Adam Johnson (convicted of sexual activity with a minor) was playing up until his trial started, I believe - and may only have stopped playing at that point because he entered a guilty plea and had his contract immediately torn up. Had he gone with a not guilty, he may have continued to play until it was resolved... not sure.

Not sure about other sports but NFL is case by case.. commissioner has a HUGE amount of discretion given by the CBA (waaaay too much). If the case was super public he'd probably land on the commissioner's exempt list (I don't think he'd even be paid in that case, but might be wrong?), otherwise he'd be free to play. But... I mean, the pressure would have to be significant on the league, as we've seen in previous cases (Ray Rice....). Even then, the punishment would likely not be anywhere near missing 2 seasons of play. Greg Hardy got convicted of belting the f**k out of his missus (on several occasions) and got a 10 game suspension (in a 16 game season), later reduced to 4 games. Messed up - guys have been suspended for as long/longer for weed.
and with the NFL, i think a lot of out of court settlements go on as well. Think of Tyreek Hill as a recent one that was in the news before the 2019 season but was eventually cleared to play.
The other thing they do is sack the player (more for optics more than anything) eg Kareem Hunt, but then they get picked up by another team soon after and they may serve a 6 game suspension that the NFL hands down and life goes on.
Another high profile domestic violence case Reuben Foster, got the benefit of the doubt by the 49ers but then he did it again and was sacked only for the Washington "Football" team to pick him up off waivers.

TheDMC

Bench
Been watching Euan Aitken closely in recent St George games and nothing to be excited about, hardly a 'strike centre' that the club earlier said was needed.
- good defender (sans Staggs massive fend debacle)
- good at a solid hit up out of trouble
- barely gets the ball on attack, seen not a hint of any attacking prowess in the last three games.

Zac Lomax on the other hand...

If I was a betting man, I'd wager this is a bit of a dud signing. Rocks and diamonds Hiku for meanyday.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Been watching Euan Aitken closely in recent St George games and nothing to be excited about, hardly a 'strike centre' that the club earlier said was needed.
- good defender (sans Staggs massive fend debacle)
- good at a solid hit up out of trouble
- barely gets the ball on attack, seen not a hint of any attacking prowess in the last three games.

Zac Lomax on the other hand...

If I was a betting man, I'd wager this is a bit of a dud signing. Rocks and diamonds Hiku for meanyday.
He's rocking the bionic arm at the moment. Previous to that he was going ok though.

3. Hiku
4. Aitken

Not bad

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Benji not wanted at Tigers. If we could get him cheap, does he make a good mentor to CHT for next year? Benji's been playing well this year - second in try assists behind SJ.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...YavBUZGN_Oa4Yws3VZY24as-tMhQ30mYp6zFK-B_RML1s
Nah next year is the time for Nikorima to step up and be the mentor to CHT. Its Kodi's final year and he is the senior half and has been a major part of our turnaround this year. Also CHT is ready for week in week out footy IMO, hes had his development behind Green for the last couple of years and next year is his year.

JJ

Immortal
Hopefully Brown can continue - he's publicly endorsed CHT and Egan, which I think is good...

Unlike Kearney's approach, young halves need a consistent run and support - there are always many that don't live up to the promise - but you have to actually let them play

Rich102

Staff member
Not possible until the border opens.
At the moment if we cross the Tasman either way there is a 2 week quarantine period.

waipiro

Juniors
Kodi-CHT combo is working pretty well so far! Probably far better than expected. Bodes well for the future.

The challenge will now be how to develop and retain Turner....the exposure from his debut will be enough to attract offers from other teams.

Penrose_11

Juniors
So, Hiku's been re-signed.
Centres are now sorted.
Next either Brandon Smith or Harry Grant for our hooker.
Smith was brought up on Waiheke Island and his family are still there. If he was to leave Melbourne i’d see us as being as good a chance as anyone to snare him

JJ

Immortal
Doubt Grant would come tbh, and he’s (atm) the better hooker

Smith would be great, will be interesting to see what they do, in the last month or so the hookers have been very good.

big question is can they unload Blair and that dead money

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Doubt Grant would come tbh, and he’s (atm) the better hooker

Smith would be great, will be interesting to see what they do, in the last month or so the hookers have been very good.

big question is can they unload Blair and that dead money

Our old mate the mole posted this, made me lol, especially when you consider the ball is completely in Blair’s court with the option in his favour

VINTAGE BLAIR MAY FORCE NEW WARRIORS DEAL
The Warriors decided months ago that they would not be offering 34-year-old Adam Blair a new deal for 2021.

But much has happened at Terrigal in the past few weeks, with the Warriors stunning the league world with four of their last five games to charge into finals contention.

Blair has been a key figure in the stunning revival under interim coach Todd Payten, playing as if his football life depends on it – because it does.

And if the veteran forward continues to show his current level of enthusiasm, the Warriors and Nathan Brown might just reward him with another 12 months.