What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Very few props at 19 are playing regular NRL. Leinu will get his chance and be a great prop but we are a few years off that.

I'd rather do it this way than burn him out like Broncs are doing with Haas

martielang

Bench
I’m a massive Hethero fan, love watching him play, but I can’t see us fitting all these good young props in the cap - although I rather him on an edge. I’d love to keep him but I think he’s the one that goes. He’s probably the most desirable as well which shouldn’t make it too difficult for him to get picked up.

If Tamou goes, I think we likely pick up a modest toiler to fill his role.

GongPanther

Referee
How many times has Hetherington spent time off the field? He couldn't appreciate the gravity of his situation in NZ by again, getting another suspension. The guy is a walking liability...a total waste of cap space.

Bob

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...m/news-story/2b543be644302c846d3ac610a5147987

NRL 2020: James Tamou contract talks could make or break Wests Tigers | Locker Room
David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
September 5, 2020 12:00pm
Subscriber only
We’re about to discover how hard it is to remove the mud at the Wests Tigers.

By putting pen to paper with the Tigers in the next few days, former Test and NSW Origin and current Penrith prop James Tamou could help wipe clean the muck of perception.

Needless to say, it’s a tense time ahead for a club that no matter the season, the coach, the chair or the CEO, it just can’t get out of its own way.

31a151571403a618791b74286ea4ad91

James Tamou is weighing up a move to Wests Tigers. Picture: Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
If you’re a frustrated Tigers fan, you can be comforted by the fact Tamou has been in promising negotiations with the club.

Both the Tigers and Tamou’s current club, the Panthers, expect the 31-year-old to decide on his future this week.

Tamou represents the big fish the Tigers, despite using every jig, lure and hook, have failed to net in recent times.

A premiership winner, experienced and just an all-round decent family man, Tamou is a player the Tigers can use as a genuine figurehead of their pack.

Melbourne and NSW State of Origin winger Josh Addo-Carr is also in the final stages of deciding to come back to the Tigers — albeit as a fullback.

He has the Tigers offer in his email and only needs to settle on the final contract terms. Again, another big fish.

They are two players in a reduced roster of 26 — each position even more crucial.

7032eb95e008ae41cd1ddd7a9fa89c37

Josh Addo-Carr is in the final stages of deciding to come back to the Tigers.
For the Tigers’ rot to stop, it starts with their recruitment.

The duo represent a renewed confidence at Wests.

They also represent something few on the outside — and clearly given their nine-year finals absence — within the walls at Concord boast: belief.

To sign Tamou and Addo-Carr is to say that two elite players believe in the club. It’s huge.

Tigers chair Lee Hagipantelis is deeply passionate about the club but he’s not blinded by his love either. He knows if the Tigers are to make it back to the finals, they have to confront their own issues within.

For the principal of Brydens Lawyers, that’s belief.

He sees it in the leading clubs and he says the Tigers need to replicate it.

d9e93001191e1fc6121504603ed903cf

Wests Tigers chair Lee Hagipantelis.
The mentality of the chair will irk a few Tigers fans, but here’s a newsflash: what the Tigers have been doing isn’t working, so Hagipantelis is willing to adopt a model that does.

“There has been a perception that the Wests Tigers have not been successful because there has not been that belief in ourselves,” Hagipantelis says.

“You look at those clubs who have enjoyed sustained success, the Roosters and Melbourne, and you look at them as a model, and you think ‘what are they doing right, what are they doing differently to us?’

“And you need to model yourself on them.

“Stability at the front office, great recruitment and a belief in what they’re doing — we need to create that here.

“This season, again to not achieve what we set out for, it’s unacceptable.

“That level of mediocrity has entrenched itself and unless we start doing things drastically different, it’s going to remain the same.

ecca9a5614c034d839dbc05d8dbe9692

Tigers aren’t proud of the way they dealt with the Benji Marshll saga.
“We do not accept that mediocrity as being our standards.”

Publicly, the Tigers have hitched their sail to coach Michael Maguire’s mast.

Behind the scenes, they’re sticking with the coach despite the dressing room chatter of discontent making its way into the public.

The playing group need to know that while they may have won battles with the coach in the past, they won’t win the war any time soon.

It’s not that Maguire is without flaw as a coach either — it’s just simple logic.

Are the Tigers really going to pay out another coach? His sacking would amount to six coaches in seven years.

And further, are they going to sack their coach given the lack of options available — evident in the Dragons struggle to replace Paul McGregor?

No.

What the Tigers are going to do is wait until the season is over, sit Maguire down with a pen and extend his contract beyond his current deal, which expires at the end of 2021.

44294fd912f7ebd8acec75bb07a3fef1

The Tigers have hitched their sail to coach Michael Maguire’s mast. Picture: Phil Hillyard
At that point, Maguire will need to deliver results.

Again, the key to the Tigers revival is recruitment, and if the club has struggled to sign the likes of Latrell Mitchell, Matt Moylan, Kurt Capewell and AJ Brimson in the past, what chance are they of attracting players if they can’t tell their target who the coach will be in year two, three or four of their contract. The Dragons’ missing out on Storm forward Christian Welch last week is a perfect example of that.

Aside from stability at coach level, what the Tigers need to promise Tamou, Addo-Carr and any other player target, is the way the club failed miserably on Tuesday in managing a club icon in Benji Marshall out the door, will never happen again.

Hagipantelis admits the extraction of Marshall, who learned of his exit from the club at the end of the season via a newspaper leak was “embarrassing”, ”disappointing” and ”disgraceful”.

“If anyone represents what the Tigers have achieved since the joint venture commenced in 2000, it’s Benji Marshall,’’ Hagipantelis said.

“That’s not the way anyone wanted it to happen.’’

That’s the lesson for the Tigers. Because you just know it wouldn’t have happened at the Storm or Roosters.

Smug Panther

First Grade
oh right. He’s not talented because in the past his aggression has got the best of him.

copy, that makes perfect sense.
Very talented but also not very bright. Probably only has the start of next year to prove he's worth persisting with. You can't carry a bloke who misses that many games through suspension.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Very talented but also not very bright. Probably only has the start of next year to prove he's worth persisting with. You can't carry a bloke who misses that many games through suspension.

Jack reminds me of a youngish MG.

In 2021 I can see him getting a bench spot with limited minutes....(fatigue causes most of his suspensions)
I can see leota taking Tamou's spot (if Tamou leaves) I can imagine W/T offering much better money than what Panthers can afford.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...m/news-story/2b543be644302c846d3ac610a5147987

NRL 2020: James Tamou contract talks could make or break Wests Tigers | Locker Room
David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
September 5, 2020 12:00pm
Subscriber only
We’re about to discover how hard it is to remove the mud at the Wests Tigers.

By putting pen to paper with the Tigers in the next few days, former Test and NSW Origin and current Penrith prop James Tamou could help wipe clean the muck of perception.

Needless to say, it’s a tense time ahead for a club that no matter the season, the coach, the chair or the CEO, it just can’t get out of its own way.

31a151571403a618791b74286ea4ad91

James Tamou is weighing up a move to Wests Tigers. Picture: Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
If you’re a frustrated Tigers fan, you can be comforted by the fact Tamou has been in promising negotiations with the club.

Both the Tigers and Tamou’s current club, the Panthers, expect the 31-year-old to decide on his future this week.

Tamou represents the big fish the Tigers, despite using every jig, lure and hook, have failed to net in recent times.

A premiership winner, experienced and just an all-round decent family man, Tamou is a player the Tigers can use as a genuine figurehead of their pack.

Melbourne and NSW State of Origin winger Josh Addo-Carr is also in the final stages of deciding to come back to the Tigers — albeit as a fullback.

He has the Tigers offer in his email and only needs to settle on the final contract terms. Again, another big fish.

They are two players in a reduced roster of 26 — each position even more crucial.

7032eb95e008ae41cd1ddd7a9fa89c37

Josh Addo-Carr is in the final stages of deciding to come back to the Tigers.
For the Tigers’ rot to stop, it starts with their recruitment.

The duo represent a renewed confidence at Wests.

They also represent something few on the outside — and clearly given their nine-year finals absence — within the walls at Concord boast: belief.

To sign Tamou and Addo-Carr is to say that two elite players believe in the club. It’s huge.

Tigers chair Lee Hagipantelis is deeply passionate about the club but he’s not blinded by his love either. He knows if the Tigers are to make it back to the finals, they have to confront their own issues within.

For the principal of Brydens Lawyers, that’s belief.

He sees it in the leading clubs and he says the Tigers need to replicate it.

d9e93001191e1fc6121504603ed903cf

Wests Tigers chair Lee Hagipantelis.
The mentality of the chair will irk a few Tigers fans, but here’s a newsflash: what the Tigers have been doing isn’t working, so Hagipantelis is willing to adopt a model that does.

“There has been a perception that the Wests Tigers have not been successful because there has not been that belief in ourselves,” Hagipantelis says.

“You look at those clubs who have enjoyed sustained success, the Roosters and Melbourne, and you look at them as a model, and you think ‘what are they doing right, what are they doing differently to us?’

“And you need to model yourself on them.

“Stability at the front office, great recruitment and a belief in what they’re doing — we need to create that here.

“This season, again to not achieve what we set out for, it’s unacceptable.

“That level of mediocrity has entrenched itself and unless we start doing things drastically different, it’s going to remain the same.

ecca9a5614c034d839dbc05d8dbe9692

Tigers aren’t proud of the way they dealt with the Benji Marshll saga.
“We do not accept that mediocrity as being our standards.”

Publicly, the Tigers have hitched their sail to coach Michael Maguire’s mast.

Behind the scenes, they’re sticking with the coach despite the dressing room chatter of discontent making its way into the public.

The playing group need to know that while they may have won battles with the coach in the past, they won’t win the war any time soon.

It’s not that Maguire is without flaw as a coach either — it’s just simple logic.

Are the Tigers really going to pay out another coach? His sacking would amount to six coaches in seven years.

And further, are they going to sack their coach given the lack of options available — evident in the Dragons struggle to replace Paul McGregor?

No.

What the Tigers are going to do is wait until the season is over, sit Maguire down with a pen and extend his contract beyond his current deal, which expires at the end of 2021.

44294fd912f7ebd8acec75bb07a3fef1

The Tigers have hitched their sail to coach Michael Maguire’s mast. Picture: Phil Hillyard
At that point, Maguire will need to deliver results.

Again, the key to the Tigers revival is recruitment, and if the club has struggled to sign the likes of Latrell Mitchell, Matt Moylan, Kurt Capewell and AJ Brimson in the past, what chance are they of attracting players if they can’t tell their target who the coach will be in year two, three or four of their contract. The Dragons’ missing out on Storm forward Christian Welch last week is a perfect example of that.

Aside from stability at coach level, what the Tigers need to promise Tamou, Addo-Carr and any other player target, is the way the club failed miserably on Tuesday in managing a club icon in Benji Marshall out the door, will never happen again.

Hagipantelis admits the extraction of Marshall, who learned of his exit from the club at the end of the season via a newspaper leak was “embarrassing”, ”disappointing” and ”disgraceful”.

“If anyone represents what the Tigers have achieved since the joint venture commenced in 2000, it’s Benji Marshall,’’ Hagipantelis said.

“That’s not the way anyone wanted it to happen.’’

That’s the lesson for the Tigers. Because you just know it wouldn’t have happened at the Storm or Roosters.

Biggest thing that jumped out at me there was the roster number of 26 for next year. That’s a significant reduction.

You can guarantee MWZ & Aekins are gone, either Tamou or Hatherington will go I’d say. But we’ll still need to shed a a few more, assuming we add Staines & Laurie to our top 26.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Jack reminds me of a youngish MG.

In 2021 I can see him getting a bench spot with limited minutes....(fatigue causes most of his suspensions)
I can see leota taking Tamou's spot (if Tamou leaves) I can imagine W/T offering much better money than what Panthers can afford.
If its legal (and I highly doubt it is) I'd extend Jacks contract with a clause where he isn't paid for any time suspended

Bob

Juniors
Biggest thing that jumped out at me there was the roster number of 26 for next year. That’s a significant reduction.

You can guarantee MWZ & Aekins are gone, either Tamou or Hatherington will go I’d say. But we’ll still need to shed a a few more, assuming we add Staines & Laurie to our top 26.
Dean Whare, Josh Mansour, Dean Bloor (already left but still on club website top 30) James Tamou, MWZ, Caleb Aitkens, Brayden McGrady

Dean Whare, Josh Mansour, Dean Bloor (already left but still on club website top 30) James Tamou, MWZ, Caleb Aitkens, Brayden McGrady

Yeah that could be close, probably another forward will go, though. As that would leave us very skinny in the backs.

Dean Whare might be hard to move, might stay as a backup.

franklin2323

Immortal

Won't be 26. Teams use more than that each year. Maybe using that number so not to get in cap issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts