What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

blue bags

First Grade
How much of that is fact or fiction is the question.

These interviews go with references as per a normal job interview.. If it was all that bad then he would be marked never to be hired again.

I don't believe all of Hook's version
Nor all of Gus'

The truth is in the middle somewhere
yes 3 sides to every story

mxlegend99

Referee
Be interesting to see how he goes. People seem to forget we were always on the back foot under him to start games and while he had the team extremely fit. Do Dragons have the individual brilliance we did to regularly make those comeback wins and create points without attacking plays?

Go rewatch these games. It was Moylan, Carty, Peachey, Kikau, Blake etc. Coming up with freakish plays that turned games.

We threw the ball around once we needed to and scored points of the freakish abilities of individuals.

That said maybe he has learned from his mistakes as a coach. He might be more willing to work with others this time around. 2 years to reflect on what went wrong is alot.

I dont see him being successful. He's easily an improvement on Mary though. Our best footy was easily the second half of 2016 and it was widely reported Gould had jumped in helping with our attack.

Most his players might be gone now from his time here. But his issues extended to guys like Ciraldo too who now looks to be happy and doing a great job with us after trying to quit twice when Hook was here.

Edit
Dufty would actually be a match winner. Possibly Lomax also. Might not be so bad for them.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Be interesting to see how he goes. People seem to forget we were always on the back foot under him to start games and while he had the team extremely fit. Do Dragons have the individual brilliance we did to regularly make those comeback wins and create points without attacking plays?

Go rewatch these games. It was Moylan, Carty, Peachey, Kikau, Blake etc. Coming up with freakish plays that turned games.

We threw the ball around once we needed to and scored points of the freakish abilities of individuals.

That said maybe he has learned from his mistakes as a coach. He might be more willing to work with others this time around. 2 years to reflect on what went wrong is alot.

I dont see him being successful. He's easily an improvement on Mary though. Our best footy was easily the second half of 2016 and it was widely reported Gould had jumped in helping with our attack.

Most his players might be gone now from his time here. But his issues extended to guys like Ciraldo too who now looks to be happy and doing a great job with us after trying to quit twice when Hook was here.

Look at those guys since though... It isn't like they are setting the world on fire.

So it hard to see what the issue was either way

As for more happy now. Goes with everyone being on the same page instead of management fighting with the coach etc

martielang

Bench
This was the coach who wouldn't allow the club (someonelse in the club) to do injury reports. Remember spuds sick list. It was canned with Anothy arrived.

I'm told that he insisted that speculation on twitter from fan about player selections be removed.

The bloke that made out he invented the junior pathways system at Penrith. No this was done by Gus and mainly Matt Cameron.

He will get the players fit,

The game plans could be written on drink coasters.

Finds it challenging to work with staffs, and at times players.

He's going to a club who has struggled for money in the last few years. Hasn't got the resouces, or junior talent of Brisbane, or Penrith.

I can see this ending with tears before bedtime.

No worries Mrs Gould.

franklin2323

Immortal
Can we at least put to bed this myth Griffin is responsible for our juniors like fox try to say? Seriously if you listen to NRL 360 they are crediting him for every success we've had. At least Webber just asked people at the club and wrote an opinion piece based on facts.

Who did he ask Gus?

No doubt NRL 360 share a manager with him or something but plenty of ex players including Soward have praised the signing.

I take their opinion over any journo

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't care what Soward said. I care that Griffin is trying to take credit for other people's hard work.

Is he though? Did he not give the young guys a path to 1st grade?

As Soward said he got the tap on the shoulder for Cleary to play

As Parra has shown no good having juniors without a spot in FG

WestyLife

First Grade
Is he though? Did he not give the young guys a path to 1st grade?

As Soward said he got the tap on the shoulder for Cleary to play

As Parra has shown no good having juniors without a spot in FG

I don't have the time right now but I bet it'd take a single afternoon to debunk that. We had a bunch if guys from 2016 right through to 2020 who Ivan debuted at the club. It's also conveniently forgotten by the media that we finished top 4 in 2014 with 2 wins to start 2015 which fell off when injuries started with Soward's back (If I remember correctly).

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
In three of his four years as Broncos coach they LOST more games than they won. He got very lucky with the roster at Penrith . Good luck Saints!!

Exactly. The game plans were dreadful. Many wins can be attitbuted to players talent rather than imput from the coaching staffs.

if NRL 360 want to stage manage and pump up his tyres.....go for it. In 12-18months the facts will be revealed.

Whino

Bench
I credit Gould and Matt Cameron for our junior redevelopment. Probably a few other people too I don't know their names.
Griffin likely played his part (for 2 and a bit years) but I don't believe the clowns giving him full credit. The wheels were in motion before he came. He probably said it to make his CV look good for his next interview. Others repeated it to throw a barb at Gould.

If it comes out of Rothfields mouth don't believe it.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't have the time right now but I bet it'd take a single afternoon to debunk that. We had a bunch if guys from 2016 right through to 2020 who Ivan debuted at the club. It's also conveniently forgotten by the media that we finished top 4 in 2014 with 2 wins to start 2015 which fell off when injuries started with Soward's back (If I remember correctly).

debuting someone through injury and playing them as a regular are different things. Ivan and Nathan have both said Ivan said he wouldn't of debuting him until his early 20's.

If not for Wes Naiqama and Whare getting injured one night in Newcastle. We don't see Moylan. I can't remember too many senior guys in lower grades back then

I attached a screenshot of the statement when we signed him. Quoting Gus 'his background in developing elite talent'

So where was he not brought in to develop the kids? So where is the lie?

Now on to Dragons. They have some very talented juniors Illawarra are guns in SG Ball. Those players don't get to FG so a similar job is needed.

You don't think if that happens it is fixing the pathways? Especially if you are using a TV interview as a job interview ( which is how I saw that Hook interview)

Attachments

• 72497FAC-DB5A-4A51-A0EF-3497100B60FB.png
    72497FAC-DB5A-4A51-A0EF-3497100B60FB.png
    306.5 KB · Views: 3

franklin2323

Immortal
I credit Gould and Matt Cameron for our junior redevelopment. Probably a few other people too I don't know their names.
Griffin likely played his part (for 2 and a bit years) but I don't believe the clowns giving him full credit. The wheels were in motion before he came. He probably said it to make his CV look good for his next interview. Others repeated it to throw a barb at Gould.

All it was for a next job. Everyone does it on resumes.

He finished the process so can bluff some people that it was him

BxTom

Bench

Exactly how much Griffin had to do with developing, or perhaps further developing, junior pathways is arguable. Gould himself stated that Griffin was brought to Penrith to help develop junior pathways or words to that effect. So I would believe that he had something to do with it, it's debatable just how much he was responsible for though.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly how much Griffin had to do with developing, or perhaps further developing, junior pathways is arguable. Gould himself stated that Griffin was brought to Penrith to help develop junior pathways or words to that effect. So I would believe that he had something to do with it, it's debatable just how much he was responsible for though.

This.

He will say he did more

Gus will say he did less

The truth is in the middle somewhere. The media will take their sides. Glad it is another club copping it