What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos General Discussion

Bronco18

Juniors
Seibold is stuck in Sydney and will step aside for 2 weeks due to serious family matter and covid-19 2 week quarantine.

Darius Boyd has quit the leadership group.

Don’t get me wrong. Seibold seems to be incompetent and with massive faults as a coach. But for Boyd not to suck up seven rounds of football for the clubs’ benefit in the leadership group shows why he’s not captaincy material...

DeeJ

Bench
Darius Boyd has already had a negative effect via his leadership. When you see the team watching the ball go through from a kick, or everyone stop when they see a forward pass, potential obstruction or knock on - that is the result of Boyd doing it for years and looking at the ref, instead of playing to the whistle.

The best scenario is that they both go.

League guru

Juniors
Darius Boyd has already had a negative effect via his leadership. When you see the team watching the ball go through from a kick, or everyone stop when they see a forward pass, potential obstruction or knock on - that is the result of Boyd doing it for years and looking at the ref, instead of playing to the whistle.

The best scenario is that they both go.
Really, so now Boyd is the sum cause of why the Broncos are going so bad. So there will be no excuses next year when he retires.

DeeJ

Bench
Really, so now Boyd is the sum cause of why the Broncos are going so bad. So there will be no excuses next year when he retires.

It all contributes. I know it's extreme but when you compare some of our efforts to the Storm and Roosters where every player will compete on every play, you can't help but be reminded of the times Boyd was looking at the ref with his arms up.

Nerd

Bench
Having Boyd not there next year certainly won't hurt. With him in the team it's like having 12 against 13 especially in defence.

League guru

Juniors
Having Boyd not there next year certainly won't hurt. With him in the team it's like having 12 against 13 especially in defence.
I think he played fullback on the w/e. So they ran past a few before they got to him. There are a lot worse then Boyd getting picked every week. TPG, Lodge, Ofaehengaue, Croft were all ordinary.

Nerd

Bench
I think he played fullback on the w/e. So they ran past a few before they got to him. There are a lot worse then Boyd getting picked every week. TPG, Lodge, Ofaehengaue, Croft were all ordinary.
Boyd has been consistently either the worst or close to the worst player in the team over the last 2 years and one or two ok games doesn't go anywhere near making up for that. Why he has been picked week after week just astounds me.

Nerd

Bench
It's probably a bit early for this but I'm thinking towards next year.

We will have no players selected for Origin so a full preseason should be had by all.

Having Darius Boyd gone has to be a massive plus for the team.

Hopefully the new coach won't accept poor form or effort from the players and makes an example of any not putting in. For example Milford and his excess weight. If he can't be bothered for a $million a year to control his weight drop him from the side until he complies.

Surely our injury rate can't be as bad as this year especially spine players.

A new CEO has to stop this paying massive overs for players. Management may have learn't their lesson by sticking to their guns with Fifita. Good luck to the Titans but they have probably paid $4-500 000 per season too much for a back rower. This giving players the option on the final year has to stop as well.

Despite what dribble may come from the media, next year is definitely a rebuilding year and till over priced duds like Milford and Bird are either moved on or signed to contracts more commensurate with their form/game time a mid table finish is the best we can hope for next year.

The one positive I can take from this year is that Dearden looks to be a decent 7 and the other younger players now know what sort of effort is required to play in the NRL and hopefully when in the future we return to being a decent team they can remember these hammerings and be ruthless when handing out the same treatment to other teams.

League guru

Juniors
It's probably a bit early for this but I'm thinking towards next year.

We will have no players selected for Origin so a full preseason should be had by all.

Having Darius Boyd gone has to be a massive plus for the team.

Hopefully the new coach won't accept poor form or effort from the players and makes an example of any not putting in. For example Milford and his excess weight. If he can't be bothered for a $million a year to control his weight drop him from the side until he complies.

Surely our injury rate can't be as bad as this year especially spine players.

A new CEO has to stop this paying massive overs for players. Management may have learn't their lesson by sticking to their guns with Fifita. Good luck to the Titans but they have probably paid $4-500 000 per season too much for a back rower. This giving players the option on the final year has to stop as well.

Despite what dribble may come from the media, next year is definitely a rebuilding year and till over priced duds like Milford and Bird are either moved on or signed to contracts more commensurate with their form/game time a mid table finish is the best we can hope for next year.

The one positive I can take from this year is that Dearden looks to be a decent 7 and the other younger players now know what sort of effort is required to play in the NRL and hopefully when in the future we return to being a decent team they can remember these hammerings and be ruthless when handing out the same treatment to other teams.

A new CEO, a new Coach and new quality players with a good attitude all signed for unders. It's a simple game.

p.s. Did Darius steal your push bike, he gets blamed for everything.

Nerd

Bench
A new CEO, a new Coach and new quality players with a good attitude all signed for unders. It's a simple game.

p.s. Did Darius steal your push bike, he gets blamed for everything.
Nah just been around long enough to know a dud player when I see one. For someone with that much Origin and test match experience his defence and especially positional play is just terrible. The frustrating thing is he gets picked week after week. Some people say there is nobody to replace him with but I believe a rookie would at least have a go.

League guru

Juniors
Nah just been around long enough to know a dud player when I see one. For someone with that much Origin and test match experience his defence and especially positional play is just terrible. The frustrating thing is he gets picked week after week. Some people say there is nobody to replace him with but I believe a rookie would at least have a go.

By my recollection they have already tried Isaako, Niu and Milford (all of whom were failures) before reverting to Boyd. No rookies left. The Broncos squad is overall weak and overrated.

Nerd

Bench
By my recollection they have already tried Isaako, Niu and Milford (all of whom were failures) before reverting to Boyd. No rookies left. The Broncos squad is overall weak and overrated.
Niu is the only rookie in your list and is out injured not dropped. Boyd was a failure at 5/8 even worse as a centre and is now back to fullback where he had one good game with a few try assists and has now reverted back to his useless self. It's pretty obvious that we have a weak squad especially considering the amount of injuries we have had and especially to spine players.

League guru

Juniors
Niu is the only rookie in your list and is out injured not dropped. Boyd was a failure at 5/8 even worse as a centre and is now back to fullback where he had one good game with a few try assists and has now reverted back to his useless self. It's pretty obvious that we have a weak squad especially considering the amount of injuries we have had and especially to spine players.
No, I was pointing out that they were the alternatives and they were hopeless. Milford has been hopeless at 5/8 and fullback but I don't see you continually bagging him. There is more to the Broncos pathetic season then just Darius Boyd.

Nerd

Bench
No, I was pointing out that they were the alternatives and they were hopeless. Milford has been hopeless at 5/8 and fullback but I don't see you continually bagging him. There is more to the Broncos pathetic season then just Darius Boyd.
I have been giving Milford the benefit of the doubt but he seems to have gotten worse as the season went on. Saying that he has a better kicking game than Croft but is just as poor a defender so I don't know what they do with those pair. Boyd however has been a passenger since the start of last year. Darius certainly isn't the only problem in the team but the younger players seeing their ex captain putting in below average performances one after the other certainly isn't a good example. Him wanting out of the leadership group was just the icing on the cake for me and shows that he's just hanging around kicking stones until the end of the season and his retirement. Exactly what you don't want from your most senior player who is also on big dollars.

League guru

Juniors
I have been giving Milford the benefit of the doubt but he seems to have gotten worse as the season went on. Saying that he has a better kicking game than Croft but is just as poor a defender so I don't know what they do with those pair. Boyd however has been a passenger since the start of last year. Darius certainly isn't the only problem in the team but the younger players seeing their ex captain putting in below average performances one after the other certainly isn't a good example. Him wanting out of the leadership group was just the icing on the cake for me and shows that he's just hanging around kicking stones until the end of the season and his retirement. Exactly what you don't want from your most senior player who is also on big dollars.[/.

If you were removed as captain why would you want to be part of a leadership group. Especially the following leadership group.

Glenn - not actually wanted at the club but got the gig as last man standing.
Lodge - 59 games, a potential loose cannon.
Teo - the game changed a bit in his 6 years away.
TPG - no explanation needed, doesn't try, absolute clown.
Carrigan - 19 games, great potential but a beginner.
Haas - 24 games, great potential but another beginner.
Croft - 39 games, can't play, never could.

Not a lot on offer there.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
Looks like you and me will have to agree to disagree on the merits of Darius Boyd. Good luck to him in whatever he decides to do in the future but I for one won't be unhappy to see him disappear off into retirement and out of the team at the seasons end.

League guru

Juniors
Looks like you and me will have to agree to disagree on the merits of Darius Boyd. Good luck to him in whatever he decides to do in the future but I for one won't be unhappy to see him disappear off into retirement and out of the team at the seasons end.
Cheers, you are certainly entitled to your opinions. I have no problem with that.

Nerd

Bench
Thank fuxk our season is over. I'm hoping that Kevvie gets the coachs gig because one thing he said before the Cowboys game rang true. Ball security. Every team makes 1 maybe 2 unforced errors where they drop the ball cold etc per game. We would do 3-4 of these per half. Our defence was not good but by constantly turning the ball over we rarely put pressure on the other side to defend set after set which mean't they were full of energy in attack and we were always tired from the defensive workload. When the opposition did have to defend they even at the end of games were still sprinting up in defence.

By just eliminating these handling errors we will stop gifting teams field position and will get to actually attack their line with kicks instead of being forced to kick on the 5th from deep inside our half.

Whoever the new coach is has to clean out the remaining coaching staff to let the players know that everything changes from this point on. This year was also probably the worst season to play so badly because with no second tier competition there are no players pushing to be promoted into the first grade squad for next season.

You wouldn't think it possible that we could have another year with that many long term injuries and whether that was just plain bad luck or something to do with how Siebold coached the team we will probably never know.

Anyway the only place from here is up and hopefully they can string a few wins together next year and hand the spoon to a non QLD based team.

Big Pete

Referee
A non Brisbane fan, Just a follower of the game. Who have you blokes sighned for next year?
So far...

Gains: Adam Reynolds, Brenko Lee
Losses: Xavier Coates, Reece Walsh, Tom Dearden
Re-Signed: Kotoni Staggs, Jordan Riki, Brendan Piakura, David Mead, TC Robati, Selwyn Cobbo, Xavier Willison, Deine Mariner, Blake Mozer

Currently chasing Jaydn Su'A, Josh Hodgson, Kurt Capewell, Billy Walters.

Latest posts