What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Young Ford was very good yesterday , esp with his front on defence .
Hopefully with McGregor now gone , the hand brake has been released and we will see the very best of him next year , with a big off season and a quality coach to guide him
What I like about Ford is that he doesn’t wait for the game to come to him and gets stuck in; whereas i often feel that Host waits (despite wanting to keep him). Another 5 kilos and a lot of work on his defence and Ford could be a really good asset to the side. But I really think he has to achieve this otherwise he will remain in the ‘good value’ or ‘fill in’ category.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Fair enough that we need to rebuild and be more selective in recruitment etc.

posters rightly say we need the ‘fire sale’ and buy Big tough pigs etc. Who are our genuine big body junior forwards of NRL standard. I am yet to see Eddie Blacker show sufficient athleticism for NRL.Big bodies still need dash and quick movement laterally to be effective. I am not bagging him just observing the limited times he has had a run.

Seriously, no one can identify who these New tough pigs are? Wether they are playing now for other clubs or our juniors. Benny Hunt, Cory Norman, Simms brothers etc aren’t going anywhere. Why would or should they? We signed them up and they are contracted for season(s) yet. I doubt Benny Hunt would get more than $400 to 500 k on a contract and Norman $300 to $350 k now.

I agree that young Sullivan went well yesterday.

I’m only being a realist. Regardless of coach a club must have the ‘cattle’.

Good post and 100% correct.

Who are these 'pigs' and how are they miraculously signing with the Dragons!

Even the chatter around Joe O and Maguire has died down (I dont believe Maguire is interested tbh). Like us, both Brisbane and the Cows have appointed new coaches and some, if not most, may want to stick around to see what that looks like for them. There was even chat around TPJ having some discissions with us, but again.

We have a new coach with most of the deadwood as far as coaching staff, have been moved on. It's been 7yrs of rubbish and most of our players know of nothing else. Other culture and style of play has been almost branded on them.

We saw yesterday, glimpses of what can be, it's now up to Hook to extract the McGregor and co years and implant something they can see as something to play for.

Griffin officially doesnt start 'till Nov 1, we will be in some kind of flux until then.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Due to a lack of running backrowers I would choose Kerr and Vaughan as backrowers in 2020.
Team
Dufty
Matt Fegai
Ravalawa
Zac Lomax
Ramsey
Sullivan
Clune
Mc Innes
Vaughan
Kerr
Ellis
Hunt
Lawrie
Bench
Ford
Blacker
Tariq Sims
Gale

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What I like about Ford is that he doesn’t wait for the game to come to him and gets stuck in; whereas i often feel that Host waits (despite wanting to keep him). Another 5 kilos and a lot of work on his defence and Ford could be a really good asset to the side. But I really think he has to achieve this otherwise he will remain in the ‘good value’ or ‘fill in’ category.
I think he will be really good but I don’t see him as a lock. He is a Beau Scott, John Bateman type edge player to me in attack at least. He is better running good lines close to to the line. In reserves he bagged a heap of tries. I hope they are playing him at lock to improve his defence and fitness.

Anyone in the know have any info on Cam McInnes contract and whether we are well in the process to extend our skipper for another four years.
He is a free agent in under 5 weeks now.
I would think the Club would like a real done prior to November 1.
George Dragon or Dragonsammy any info.

The Friz

Juniors
Everyone is available. Contracts are irrelevant. The targets should be good forwards who can’t crack the starting side in good teams. Niokore from Eels is one to go after.Chrichton or Tupouniua will be forced to bench for Roosters when Radley return.
Dangle a carrot and let it play out.

possm

Coach
There have been numerous piss poor defensive efforts over the last 3 years, including the half hearted effort on the winger yesterday, not in the top 10 fullbacks in the game and would get murdered at 5/8
Whey do the media keep talking up the likes of Dufty and Aitken? It feels like that just don't want the Dragons to rise to the top of the ladder.

Wittenberg

Juniors
So far Ford has suffered from Young Gun Syndrome. Some had him as a future Origin player, others called him just as good if not better than Frizz or others had him turning into a potential top class centre. At the moment he is a hard working, adequate forward with defensive weaknesses. He may well develop into a very good forward, but he is a long way from that at the moment and will be again in 2021.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Most journos have been tight lipped over the past few weeks , but feel several notable forward signings are imminent . All will have a Griffin History about them ..Hoping Hetherington is one of them ......

matPORTS

Juniors
Some "Mad Monday" thoughts:

Couldn't help but cringe when Brandy said in commentary yesterday that he feels Anthony Griffin will still play Hunt in the 7 next year. We've looked like an absolute rabble with Hunt in the halves since about the middle of 2019. On a positive note - Jayden Sullivan is ready and we need to give him the best possible chance to succeed, be it as a first or second receiver. In saying this, Hunt won't be going anywhere given he has two years left to run on his deal. But he should start at 9 with Clune at 7 + McInnes in the 13 (and provided JDB is good to go he will be in the props rotation).

It's going to be very difficult to move Norman on early as well. He'll be in Canterbury Cup (and hopefully not stalling the development of anyone else for too long either).

Kerr & Blacker need to rip in and have HUGE off seasons (in fact every forward currently on the books for 2021 does), especially if we are going to be limited in who we bring in from the outside to add some starch in the middle.

Further to the previous point, at the moment I'd be happy to take just ONE of any of the rumored forwards - JO, A Crichton, Welch, McGuire, Eisenhuth, Asiata, etc. Surely it couldn't be that hard for Millward & co to knab someone and surely cap space for one is not going to be an issue? WTF is it that I read about a low ball offer to Welch which was swiftly rejected (what made us think that we were a chance of getting that one over the line - embarrassing no wonder we struggle to recruit)? McGuire has made no secret that he loved the Dragons as kid (not that this would be the only motivation for coming to us)? Common Millward, get the damn job done FFS !!

Most positive of all - I feel we have some depth, and a good blend of youthful experience, in our backline to take us forward. Question mark that remains will be the potential swap of Saab for Garrick, and then the eventual make up of the back five for Round 1 2021. Lomax is the only guaranteed starter at the moment for me, with possibly Garrick as well should the swap deal eventuate. Everyone else is in for a massive off season fight for the rest of the positions.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It is interesting the make up of our team next year. Despite some of the great signs that our youngsters showed, there is a danger of building a ‘Halo effect’ with them all, particularly against such weak opposition.

Loved what they showed and their obvious natural skills, but if I had to pick a 17 tomorrow, I’d struggle to know who I’d pick and who I’d leave out. Liked the look of Max Feagai and be tempted to give him a crack in the centres as he looks tough enough, but not so sure that I feel the rest are simply ‘automatic’ selections because we beat a reserve grade Storm outfit.

qld redvee

Juniors
two things guys -
would tolman be a decent rotation prop for a year if we got him for the right price

read today we are still looking at bird as a centre next year brisbane would tip about half in so at 500 thousand why would we be interested ?? Maybe an up and comer from somewhere that has utility value but with Birds medical history Id rather use the money elsewhere

Inisai Toga

Juniors
two things guys -
would tolman be a decent rotation prop for a year if we got him for the right price

read today we are still looking at bird as a centre next year brisbane would tip about half in so at 500 thousand why would we be interested ?? Maybe an up and comer from somewhere that has utility value but with Birds medical history Id rather use the money elsewhere
No to both for me. We have Tolman’s level covered and Bird for $200 maybe; certainly couldn’t justify $500 despite Bird’s proven talent

Dragonslayer

First Grade
two things guys -

Under our previous regime, both of these would have been instant signings.

However, I think Griffin would be looking much higher than Tolman. As for Bird, he'll get the lowdown straight from Gentle about his fitness etc.

Both are a no from me.

redv13

Bench
Under our previous regime, both of these would have been instant signings.

However, I think Griffin would be looking much higher than Tolman. As for Bird, he'll get the lowdown straight from Gentle about his fitness etc.

Both are a no from me.
Yep agree. Surely we’re not that silly to take on a broken down Bird for 500k a season?? Big no thank you at that price. 2 or 250 yeah but no chance at 500

_Johnsy

Referee
two things guys -

As moronic as it sounds I’d take a one year straight swap Norman for Bird. (last year of Normans deal & Bris prepared to cover a chunk of Birds). Birds deal with Bris is player option for 2021. I think it’s worth the risk if Bird can get 75%+ fit. A 3/4 fit Bird playing reduced minutes off the bench compared to continuing to carry Norman is a win.

Latest posts