What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Craig93

Juniors
two things guys -
would tolman be a decent rotation prop for a year if we got him for the right price

read today we are still looking at bird as a centre next year brisbane would tip about half in so at 500 thousand why would we be interested ?? Maybe an up and comer from somewhere that has utility value but with Birds medical history Id rather use the money elsewhere

Wasn’t Bird pegged to be starting fullback this year for the donkeys before going down a week out from start of the year?
Also what happened to Isaako ?

George Dragon

Juniors
Everything depends on cost. For 200k I would say yes to Tolman. Worst case scenario he plays off the bench, best case our other options hit their straps and he plays reserve grade.

It was the size of the paycheck that made Graham a terrible buy.
Spot on, Storm sign average/fringe FG and turn them into good FG and good backups.
Look at the side on the weekend, Chris Lewis was playing reserves for us 4 years ago and now he is a good back up forward in the Storm system.

getsmarty

Immortal

• Off-contract Dragons prop Kaide Ellis keen to reunite with former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin
    Kaide Ellis believes he played his best football under Anthony Griffin at Penrith, so he is keen to reunite with Griffin at the Red V next season.

Matt Logue
    NCA NewsWire
    September 28, 20204:22pm

St George Illawarra struggled this season, but off-contract prop Kaide Ellis is keen to secure his future at the club to play under former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin.

Ellis is yet to secure a new deal as he also weighs up interest from back-to-back premiers the Sydney Roosters.

The Dubbo junior’s preference is to remain at the Dragons so he can reconnect with Griffin, whom he played under at the Panthers in 2018 and 2019.

Ellis believes the former Penrith and Brisbane coach is the perfect mentor to steer St George Illawarra and himself to success.

“I’d like to play under Hook again because I played my best footy under him at the Panthers,” said Ellis, who played eight games for the Dragons since joining the club from Penrith mid-season.

“I don’t have anything (contract) wise in concrete yet, but I’m hoping to get something sorted soon.

“We don’t officially know what the squad sizes are going to be next year, but there is interest there.”

34894ee16d6063a4744f33789d3d3490

Off-contract Dragons prop Kaide Ellis is keen to stay at the club to reunite with former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin (pictured). Picture: Tim Hunter.Source:News Corp Australia

In a boost for Ellis and the other uncontracted players, the NRL squads for next season are set to be locked in at 30 players.

While there is no agreement in place, there is alignment across the game that there will be 30-man squads – including four development contracts.

This would be a perfect result for fringe players like Ellis, who could have been squeezed out of a club if there was limited space on a squad.

The likes of Benji Marshall, Elijah Taylor, George Jennings, Brad Takairangi and Danny Levi still don’t have a contract for next season and beyond.

This experienced and talented list could open the door for a club to pick up a crucial piece in their premiership puzzle over the off-season.

All the remaining off-contract players have plenty to prove in the NRL for a club willing to take a punt on them.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/d...n/news-story/541331a67c30f636c9912f3d61fde4f6

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
No to both for me. We have Tolman’s level covered and Bird for $200 maybe; certainly couldn’t justify $500 despite Bird’s proven talent

In the end, Bulldogs fans were fed up with Tolman's brain explosions and poor tactical nous- a definite no- Bird's body is both sick with the worst type of Arthritis (rheumatoid) requiring expensive medication to deal with the pain and impacted by chronic injury- an even more definite no.

I say save our money for some really big signings- Staggs for 2022 would be my top of the backline list but an edge forward and a blockbusting prop are desperately needed now. I would like to think that Host and Lovodua were cut (also rumours surrounding Korbin Sims being offloaded) to help fund some quality signings but beyond Joe O ( whose recent limp efforts for the Broncos have turned me off him) we aren't being linked with any quality forwards I'm aware of.

Craig93

Juniors
Whats Corey Allans story at Souths? Is he the forgotten man come 2021 when Mitchell is back from injury.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
In light of Griffin‘s and Gentles appointment I wonder who could be available from Penrith and Brisbane? Not uncommon to see one or two players following former coaches after these type of announcements.

Furthermore, Elliott's appointment with his more strategic approach combined with the young talent coming through, may now appeal to players considering coming to Saints; possibly assisting to change the current perspective of the clubs’ playing style, due to the boring shit house game plans we’ve had on display for nine years.

denis preston

First Grade
Due to a lack of running backrowers I would choose Kerr and Vaughan as backrowers in 2020.
Team
Dufty
Matt Fegai
Ravalawa
Zac Lomax
Ramsey
Sullivan
Clune
Mc Innes
Vaughan
Kerr
Ellis
Hunt
Lawrie
Bench
Ford
Blacker
Tariq Sims
Gale

That would be the worst starting front row in the comp. Have you ever seen Gale ( and Blacker more than 10 mins ) play ?

not_all_there

Juniors
Gus Gould suggested 2021 training won’t resume untill the new year. Love or hate him he usually knows this kinda stuff.
The way covid is going he could be right.

jak

Bench
speaking of signings just read on wwos the mole thread that the roosters have found a way to keep the morris boys, im so happy that they found a way to keep them.