What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020/21 Offseason - Knights

aqua_duck

Coach
Lachlan Lam is piss. If he’s our long term halfback than we’ve got plenty of terrible years ahead of us.
Lam isn't a superstar but he's got enough good attributes to be a steady halfback/5-8th alongside a dominant playmaker like what Pearce is supposed to be, also let's remember a lot of halves don't come good until their mid 20s or even later

aqua_duck

Coach
The lack of promising juniors coming through our club is scary. 2 Saifitis and Bradman Best isn’t much to show in first-pick first graders for the past 5 years.

And yes I know Fitzy and Sione are there too, but they aren’t exactly top quality.
the one positive is with Clint Zammit coming on board we know he's got a track record of outstanding junior recruitment. Hopefully when Zammitt starts unearthing the next Taumalolo, Kikau, Brandon Smith, Ponga, Tabuai Fidow, etc and bringing guys like that into our system it will raise the bar for all the local kids.

Jono078

Referee
Watson for mine is the best benchie in the comp and offers us the best impact as a hooker. Whilst I think he'd have potential as a 1, I think this utility/hooker thing is his role now.

We have enough hookers on the book next year that I think Crossland should train in the halves all off season. It's an area of concern, especially for depth is Lino isn't sticking around.

What are our halves looking like so far? Pearce, Hoy and Crossland? Possibly stick with Mann because he needs somewhere to play?

Knight Vision

First Grade
What are our halves looking like so far? Pearce, Hoy and Crossland? Possibly stick with Mann because he needs somewhere to play?
Jeezuz that list is grim.

Mann had a great year ......but compared to other top 5/8's he's still average at best and certainly not the 5/8 Pearce needs

Pearce and Mann are below what we should strive for. They're mediocre and we will never win a GF with them. .....if they were capable of it Mann would still be in Melbourne and Pearce still at the Rorters.

Tony Morris

Juniors
Rumors gaining strength we are closing in on signing Fullback Bailey Hodgson, Josh Hodgson's Nephew from England. Spoke to a pal of mine over there during the weekend and he tells me he's a phenomenal talent. VERY similar to Ponga in style, stacks of pace, mad step and a great line attacker. Played above his years for England Academy, allegedly there's 3 clubs in for him over here but my Pal is confident he's Knights bound. Kid went to first grade at 16. Sounds like a gun.

perverse

Referee
Not sure where else to put this, but Klemmer has been left out of the origin squad. Dan retained. I believe Freddy made the right call, even considering Dan's average form since return from injury. Klem has lost his punch and fire.

Alex28

Coach

I can see the argument for wanting to go younger and more agile with middle forwards, but for Klemmer to not even make the 27-man squad is a joke.
I mean, I know stats can tell any story you want, and there has been nothing wrong with what he’s done this year, but he is not the same guy he has been in previous years.

Knight Vision

First Grade

I can see the argument for wanting to go younger and more agile with middle forwards, but for Klemmer to not even make the 27-man squad is a joke.
I agree , it's dumbfounding , dont know what more the bloke good possibly do to be selected? Take someone's head off maybe ? So consistently good we take him for granted.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I mean, I know stats can tell any story you want, and there has been nothing wrong with what he’s done this year, but he is not the same guy he has been in previous years.
Same as previous years but lacked some agro maybe? There was a few times I think our forwards failed to get angry enough and let the opposition bully us.

aqua_duck

Coach
In what area is he not the same? Post contact metres have gone up significantly and offloads doubled. Only plausible explanation is they're looking to go in the direction of a more mobile pack with foot speed and lateral agility

ryana87

Juniors
Looks like ponga is going to miss a big chunck of the off season.... Needs a shoulder reco...... Probably miss origin

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
With Klem being dropped from Origin it could be a masterstroke for us, he will want that spot back and come out all guns blazing next season.

Alex28

Coach
In what area is he not the same? Post contact metres have gone up significantly and offloads doubled. Only plausible explanation is they're looking to go in the direction of a more mobile pack with foot speed and lateral agility
Just his aggression mate. Just when we needed that the most, he seems to have mellowed out. We need the angry bald guy back.

Yosh

Coach
Re Ponga, as a Blue and Knight, great news. Want him rested and fixed before next season.

Klemmer is the bomb. Can't believe people not rating him anymore. A team can't be all mobile forwards. Need the cornerstone to build around. I also prefer he ain't agro no more. Just be the plain old school robot of a front rower who is 2nd in run metres and 1st for post contact. More of the same please David next year.

perverse

Referee
Same as previous years but lacked some agro maybe? There was a few times I think our forwards failed to get angry enough and let the opposition bully us.
This is it in a nutshell. He's been doing his job, but incredibly passively. If you can't see it already then there's nothing anyone is going to be able to say to help you see it. Go and watch some older highlights of Klem. He used to impose himself on a match. I couldn't say he imposed himself on any match this year.

It's all well and good to drool over numbers when you've got AK47 leading your pack, but numbers aren't our issue. It does matter how you achieve them. Aiden Tolman would be thought of as an all time great if it were just about numbers. Zeb Taia was a better backrower than Gareth Ellis based on numbers.

And I mean, I think people are twisting words to be honest. No-one is outright bagging Klem or "not rating" him either. He does get through a mountain of work and plays long minutes for us. However, if I were picking the origin team right now, I'd be leaving him out. His game is just low impact at the moment. He needs to shave his head and get aggro again, start sitting blokes on their arses.

Jono078

Referee
I think workload and speed of the game may have hindered him this year to be honest. It was a long year for a front rower though, I still think he has plenty to offer and is still an asset to us.