What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

jeffdragon

Bench
Remember a couple of years ago he was at the crossroads, he was struggling playing fullback making a lot of errors and threw an intercept pass to Aiken in the dying seconds to hand us a win. A couple of years after being moved to 5/8 he is one of the best....how times change !
He runs the ball hard not like our powder puff halves.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
We have some good young halves coming through and two non-performing millinn dollar halves on the way out. It is the forward pack that really worries me followed by our last line of defence.

We need a squad that can lift to the standard that Canberra and the Roosters played last night. A dominant forward pack is the base and our young backline will excite the fans and keep us competitive.

I'm hoping Griffin has some tricks up his sleeve with regards to recruiting some good forwards for season 2021, otherwise it will be another wasted season.

Possum, we have had 9 wasted seasons. As a result I do not anticipate a miraculous turnaround putting us on a level with the Raiders and Roosters in just one season, especially given the limited talent available on the open market. However now that we have finally gotten rid of the cancer in the coaching ranks I won't regard next season as a wasted season even if we are short on star forward recruits. For the first time in almost a decade we should see improvement both in individual players and the team. For the first time in 7 seasons we should see selections based on form and a professionally and logically managed bench rotation. As a result we long suffering fans will have more to cheer about even if we are still well short of premiership glory.

Must be fake news. At the moment nothing to get us excited.
Unless outside recruitment of some forwards who pack some grunt is made, the team will struggle. The backs will suffer and are only as good as what's in front of them. The past season exemplifies this. Some power is lost with the departure of Frizzell, although in some areas he had his limitations. Vaughan seemed only a shadow of himself this year.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Unless outside recruitment of some forwards who pack some grunt is made, the team will struggle. The backs will suffer and are only as good as what's in front of them. The past season exemplifies this. Some power is lost with the departure of Frizzell, although in some areas he had his limitations. Vaughan seemed only a shadow of himself this year.
Friz is a loss a lot of people seem to underestimate. It potentially could be offset somewhat by JDB coming back but we definitely don’t have anyone on our books that can replace him. We need to sign a real top liner. I’d go hard for Crichton for 2022 and see if we can get him a year early.

Dragon David

First Grade
With JDB and now T Sailor having both been charged with the alleged sexual assaults on the respective victims, I think it will make it difficult to persuade talent to come to us. We might get some rejects but the ones we are after might have second thoughts.

Mothers, wives, partners could have significant influence as well. "What gives at the Dragons?"

matPORTS

Juniors
When I look at the way the Raiders played the other night... I think why can't we develop into something similar over the next 3-4 years?

Yep - we need to find a few forwards in similar mould to Bateman, Whitehead, Sutton, H Young, Tapine and off course Pappali. Some we already have on the books and with the right kind of rocket up their backsides could realistically reach these levels. Some we will need to recruit and hope they buy into the new culture. Hayden Lomax is also another who should come on strong (but I'm basing that assumption on good family footballing genes).

The existing & junior talent in our backline could easily be on par with that of any team playing in the finals this year. This is where we have the most opportunity to enter a premiership window in the next few years. Look at what the Panthers have built. Storm will possibly lose JAC (even if they do replace internal). With M Jennings in trouble at Parramatta all of a sudden their backline is weakened significantly (and that's not even taking into account their exposed edge defensive deficiencies which have essentially sent them out in straight sets). The Morris brothers aren't going to play on forever.

The Badger

Juniors
When I look at the way the Raiders played the other night... I think why can't we develop into something similar over the next 3-4 years?

Yep - we need to find a few forwards in similar mould to Bateman, Whitehead, Sutton, H Young, Tapine and off course Pappali. Some we already have on the books and with the right kind of rocket up their backsides could realistically reach these levels. Some we will need to recruit and hope they buy into the new culture. Hayden Lomax is also another who should come on strong (but I'm basing that assumption on good family footballing genes).

The existing & junior talent in our backline could easily be on par with that of any team playing in the finals this year. This is where we have the most opportunity to enter a premiership window in the next few years. Look at what the Panthers have built. Storm will possibly lose JAC (even if they do replace internal). With M Jennings in trouble at Parramatta all of a sudden their backline is weakened significantly (and that's not even taking into account their exposed edge defensive deficiencies which have essentially sent them out in straight sets). The Morris brothers aren't going to play on forever.
Our forwards are a long way off the Canberra pack.Except for Mcuinness and an in form Vaughan (certainly not there at the moment) we have noone who could hold a position in that pack so we need at least a prop,secondrower and lock.Cant get enthused about Debelin .If he is guilty he wont be with us, if he is innocent 2 years of trauma will take a lot to recover from.The backline will take shape if we can recruit a quality five eighth to go with Sullivan.

matPORTS

Juniors
Our forwards are a long way off the Canberra pack.Except for Mcuinness and an in form Vaughan (certainly not there at the moment) we have noone who could hold a position in that pack so we need at least a prop,secondrower and lock.Cant get enthused about Debelin .If he is guilty he wont be with us, if he is innocent 2 years of trauma will take a lot to recover from.The backline will take shape if we can recruit a quality five eighth to go with Sullivan.

Agreed. But what the Raiders currently are is what we must aspire to become over the next 3-4 years (with our own twist on it off course).

RE: JdB - my thoughts are that we should probably cut ties and use that money to go to market. Unfortunately what has happened with T Sailor in the last 24 hours has probably changed the game somewhat in respect to JdB and how we go about moving forward. Its another tough call that Hook needs to make - and if we are fair dinkum about pointing the ship in the right direction come Round 1 2021, it's probably a decision that needs to be made (albeit it's not fair to compare the JdB and T Sailor cases side by side - but at the same time it reflects the current culture of our club looking from outside in).

boardlumps62

Juniors
This is interesting two of Raiders pack Havilli and Lui played for the Dragons a few years ago. Much younger then but Mary couldn't get them going but Ricky used both during the year
But what I didn't realise was Raiders and Chooks had a lightweight pack 2019 and probably the same this year. Didn't work this year for Chooks so see how Raiders go. Here am I thinking we need more grunt in our pack. Always thought we needed more skills and fitness.

The Badger

Juniors
Agreed. But what the Raiders currently are is what we must aspire to become over the next 3-4 years (with our own twist on it off course).

RE: JdB - my thoughts are that we should probably cut ties and use that money to go to market. Unfortunately what has happened with T Sailor in the last 24 hours has probably changed the game somewhat in respect to JdB and how we go about moving forward. Its another tough call that Hook needs to make - and if we are fair dinkum about pointing the ship in the right direction come Round 1 2021, it's probably a decision that needs to be made (albeit it's not fair to compare the JdB and T Sailor cases side by side - but at the same time it reflects the current culture of our club looking from outside in).
Yes matPORTS that Canberra pack is a beauty .Including Hodgson I think there are 4 or 5 English players regularly in the lineup.It takes a lot longer for quality forwards to develop so capacity for creative recruitment is an issue. Do we have the recruitment resources to find and attract such players already developed in their careers.Canberra obviously do.I am not sure we can develop these forwards on home turf.Who was the last quality forward we developed other than Debelin?So development is also an issue.

Kylez3

Juniors

Hayden Lomax is nowhere near first grade quality. It was a signing to keep his brother happy and remain with the club.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Since there are no signings happening is there any contract extensions happening.
Anything, please give me something.

We are really in an odd phase right now. No head coach, assistants, CC or JF coach in play at the moment. Hook doesn't officially hit the ground running until Nov 1, however, I feel he has his sights on a few players. Some of these may still be playing, whilst others have only just stepped out of the bubble and probably enjoying some down time.

Be patient, there will be plenty of frenzy in the coming weeks and especially in Nov.

Dragon David

First Grade
We are really in an odd phase right now. No head coach, assistants, CC or JF coach in play at the moment. Hook doesn't officially hit the ground running until Nov 1, however, I feel he has his sights on a few players. Some of these may still be playing, whilst others have only just stepped out of the bubble and probably enjoying some down time.

Be patient, there will be plenty of frenzy in the coming weeks and especially in Nov.
Brisbane will be after a few players as well so we will have some competition securing anyone decent.

Latest posts