What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1998 NRL Season Review

Nuke

Staff member
This is great, but geebus, 3hrs!
I didn't notice the length of it at the start. Only when it seamlesly went into Round 2 did I realise!
I'm putting this on a 'must watch later' list..!

Just got around to watching this, a few things that stood out
-the nostalgia was incredible, Chargers, Rams, Bears, Magpies, Steelers among others
-it also reminded me when i was growing up and the Storm were close to a second team (I used to be a huge fan of Marcus Bai, what a player). Melbourne seemed to have a decent following right off the bat. I guess this wa a partially because they were the new thing, but somewhere between 98 and 06 (when their dynasty started) things really dropped off.
-the general handling back then was pretty poor, so many tries from dropped balls. Goal line defence has improved a lot in the 22 years that followed. Some of those surfaces would be close to unplayable if they were served up today.
-the goal kicking was dreadful (clear to see what kind of an impact Halligan and El Masri had on future players, I would imagine most teams were kicking below 75%
-peak Joey was a hell of a player, however rookie Mark McLinden was also very good, shame he never fully fulfilled his potential
-the referees seemed to get a lot more respect, what happened? Send offs were also much more of a regular occurrence than I remember. Would have been at least 10 send offs over the season.

Another observation was that 2 refs was trialled in 1998, whilst it was implemented in 2009, I seemed to remember it was a reaction to Wrestlemania, however it seems it was being discussed long before grapple tackles had even been invented.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Bill harragon didnt waste time starting a long record of lopsided penalty counts to the superleague teams

Loved this. Very nostalgic.

Highlight - Rams 52 Tigers 0.

Will plow through the other seasons another day.

I remember this game. Friday nighter, not televised until late. As a 7 year old I went to bed before the game. When I got up the next morning my dad told me it ended 52-0, but said we won. Did such a job convincing me that it wasn’t until Monday at school that I knew we lost when all my mates were laughing at me. Even at my soccer game on Saturday morning we were arguing about whether we won or lost.