What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Day/twilight GF - success?

badav

Bench
Afternoon/Evening grand as was done today is how it should stay. Teams don't play their most attacking football in night games.

innsaneink

Referee
heard from people at the ground that during the twighlight period , when the lights hadn't taken full effect , it was difficult to distinguish the players .

also had it been at hot sunny day , like a couple earlier in the week , the people in the eastern stand would've been red faced and squinty eyed staring into the setting sun .

the GF either has to be 3pm or 7.30pm

Why would they be looking up in the sky?
Sunnies, zinc cream and sunvisors do the trick, we was there early in 05 and blokes were sitting round in no shirts it was that hot, Vlad....Aussies are an adaptable bunch you know

bartman

Immortal
I like the timing.

It means that you still have a large part of the night to relax, recover, talk about the game after it's over. Makes it the focus of the day, rather than just something that adds on at the end.

Footy during the daylight (first two games and kick-off) is so far better to watch than night-time kick-off stuff imo. They'd better not change it back due to TV pressure...

vlad

juniors
Why would they be looking up in the sky?
Sunnies, zinc cream and sunvisors do the trick, we was there early in 05 and blokes were sitting round in no shirts it was that hot, Vlad....Aussies are an adaptable bunch you know

05 was a night game ( best one ever too :)) .... I was too busy at the beer tent outside to watch the lower grades .

when the sun is setting it's not high in the sky ... it's closer to the horizon and in your face if your in the eastern grandstand ... like late arvos at leichhardt when you're on the hill .

anyways I always buy tix with that in mind and go the western side for day games .

anyways interesting if other people who were at the ground agree with the twilight dimness being a negative .

coolumsharkie

Referee
Personally I thought it looked great just before kick off, a day time GF really conveys the atmosphere at the ground thru TV a whole lot better, as someone else mentioned here not too long ago, the colours of the day are more vibrant, brighter, i laughed at first when I read it, but its true.
Imagine today on a bright sunny day.
Keep it at this time, bring it an hour earlier even....but no more night GFs.

I was going to post a thread just like it.

Keep it in the day.

Wake up NRL you farkin idiots.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
I liked the time. The day time brings so much more colour to the event, plus gives fans and players plenty of time to celebrate.

I'd be happy for a start anywhere between 4-6pm in the future.

Last edited:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Afternoon/Evening grand as was done today is how it should stay. Teams don't play their most attacking football in night games.

Most of the games each season are played at night....if they can't cope with the GF at night, why even turn up?

bennoonthehill

Juniors
05 was a night game ( best one ever too :)) .... I was too busy at the beer tent outside to watch the lower grades .

when the sun is setting it's not high in the sky ... it's closer to the horizon and in your face if your in the eastern grandstand ... like late arvos at leichhardt when you're on the hill .

anyways I always buy tix with that in mind and go the western side for day games .

anyways interesting if other people who were at the ground agree with the twilight dimness being a negative .

I didn't find it a problem. Loved the earlier kick off personally.

bobmar28

Bench
Personally I thought it looked great just before kick off, a day time GF really conveys the atmosphere at the ground thru TV a whole lot better, as someone else mentioned here not too long ago, the colours of the day are more vibrant, brighter, i laughed at first when I read it, but its true.
Imagine today on a bright sunny day.
Keep it at this time, bring it an hour earlier even....but no more night GFs.
And no more night SOO's?

bobmar28

Bench
heard from people at the ground that during the twighlight period , when the lights hadn't taken full effect , it was difficult to distinguish the players .

also had it been at hot sunny day , like a couple earlier in the week , the people in the eastern stand would've been red faced and squinty eyed staring into the setting sun .

the GF either has to be 3pm or 7.30pm
7.30 pm.

Chachi

Bench
Great timeslot with the early daylight savings hour. However it's just a pity daylight savings starts that day so everyone is rooted by night time after losing an hours sleep. Not ideal for the players on GF day I guess.

IgorManiac

Juniors
I found the that twilight period was quite noticeable in the first half, but by the second half the lights had taken over and it was fine.

Traveling back to the Central Coast was much better this year than last year, due to the earlier timeslot.