What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue bags

First Grade
Woman allegedly raped by footy star Jack de Belin and his friend sent a second desperate one-word text to a friend after leaving the pair, court hears
  • Jack de Belin's alleged rape victim told court she sent second text asking for help
  • Toby Nobes said he got a message reading 'help' from the victim on Snapchat
  • He was also sent a picture 'trying to get my attention that something was wrong'
  • Both de Belin and Callum Sinclair pleaded not guilty to attacking the woman

The woman who says NRL star Jack de Belin raped her sent a second message on social media asking for help during the night, a jury has heard.

Jurors had already heard the then-19-year-old woman sent a 'help' message to a friend on Instagram moments after leaving the St George Illawarra forward and his co-accused Callan Sinclair outside a Wollongong nightclub in the early hours of December 9, 2018.

But the existence of the second message - not mentioned in the woman's evidence - emerged during evidence from Kiama man Toby Nobes on Wednesday.

Mr Nobes said he'd participated in a Santa pub crawl on December 8, drinking heavily.

After waking up at a bus stop later that night, he realised his phone was missing and went home.

Jack de Belin's alleged rape victim told court she sent second text asking for help. The trial will resume on Thursday

The next day he found the phone at the North Wollongong Hotel and discovered the woman had messaged him on Snapchat.

'It just said "help",' Mr Nobes told the Wollongong District Court.

He said the text was a caption on a photo of 'nothing in particular'.
Mr Nobes wasn't sure when the message came in or to what extent he replied to it.

As is standard on Snapchat, the messages were automatically deleted shortly after being viewed.

De Belin, 29, and Sinclair, 23, have both pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting the woman in a North Wollongong unit on the night of the Santa pub crawl.

Jack de Belin (left) and friend Callan Sinclair (right) were charged over the alleged rape

Both men say the sexual activity was consensual.

Mr Nobes told the court he received another photo via Snapchat from the woman on December 9 of a floor.

The photo caption was 'trying to get my attention that something was wrong', he said.

The woman was at the time in a police station reporting the alleged rape.

Mr Nobes said he couldn't recall any other messages the pair sent each other.

The court has seen records that the woman said 'I got raped' and that it was 'hard to say how it all happened'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...iend-sent-second-desperate-one-word-text.html

blue bags

First Grade
Teacher reveals why he LIED to cops about walking in on NRL star Jack de Belin and his teammate standing next to a naked teenage girl lying on a bed in his house - as pair deny they raped her
  • Troy Martin told court Jack De Belin 'borrowed' his flat to allegedly rape woman
  • Mr Martin said he had lied in police statement saying he didn't see the NRL star
  • He claims he knew De Belin had a partner and did not want to tell her he cheated
  • De Belin, 29, and fellow NRL player Callan Sinclair, 23, pleaded not guilty
  • Accused of aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old Wollongong woman
By AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

PUBLISHED: 18:05 AEDT, 12 November 2020 | UPDATED: 19:29 AEDT, 12 November 2020

A teacher has told a rape trial of looking into a bedroom and seeing footballers Jack de Belin and Callan Sinclair standing while a naked woman lying on the bed asked 'who's that?'.

Troy Martin said he then went to the bathroom before the naked de Belin came in and said: 'Sorry mate, just borrowing your house, didn't realise anyone was home'.

Mr Martin denied lying to the Wollongong District Court jury about the events saying he had lied in his police statement when he did not mention anything about seeing the trio or having any conversation.

A teacher has told a rape trial of looking into a bedroom and seeing footballers Jack de Belin (pictured) and Callan Sinclair standing while a naked woman lying on the bed

One reason was that he knew de Belin had a partner and 'I didn't want to be the one responsible for telling her he was cheating on her'.

NRL star De Belin, 29, and his 23-year-old friend have pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman after meeting her in a Wollongong bar in December 2018.
They say their sexual contact was consensual.The woman has testified that she thought the trio was headed to another club before de Belin led the group to a North Wollongong unit where she says she was sexually assaulted.

Giving evidence on Thursday, Mr Martin said he shared the townhouse with de Belin's cousin, who was away that night, and went down the stairs from his room after hearing muffled sounds.

He looked into the bedroom and saw a naked female lying in the middle of the bed, while a fully clothed Sinclair was standing near a desk and a naked de Belin was standing at the foot of the bed.

Jack de Belin (left) and friend Callan Sinclair (right) were charged over the alleged rape

After the woman asked 'who's that'? the door was closed and Mr Martin went to the nearby bathroom where he went to the toilet and got a drink.

De Belin then opened the door and apologised saying he didn't realise anyone was at home.

'He went back into the room and shut the door.'

Mr Martin agreed his police statement of December 9, 2018 recorded him saying that sometime during the night he heard sounds which seemed to come from outside before he went back to sleep and woke up around 7am.

He admitted lying to police, but disagreed with the prosector's suggestion that he was lying to the jury about a naked de Belin coming to speak to him in the bathroom after the door was closed.

De Belin, 29 and fellow NRL player Callan Sinclair, 23, (pictured) pleaded not guilty to the assaul

NRL star Jack de Belin arrives at Wollongong court
The complainant has testified that no one came to the door when she was in the bedroom with the men.

Under questioning from De Belin's barrister, David Campbell SC, Mr Martin said he had been shocked and overwhelmed when five police officers came to the unit the next morning, saying a serious offence had been committed on the premises.

After a while, he said he put 'two and two together and thought it had something to do with the three people' he had seen in the room..

Police had taken his phone which was later dropped off at the primary school where he worked, which made him nervous.

He agreed with Mr Campbell's suggestion that he completely regretted not telling the police the truth, but he provided a statutory declaration in October 2019 which did set out what happened.

The trial continues.
Teacher revealed why he lied to cops about NRL star Jack De Belin allegedly raping 19-year-old woman

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Belin-allegedly-raping-19-year-old-woman.html

T-Boon

Coach
Only hearsay that he was there let alone saw anything.

IMO amazing that 3 people came into his apartment totally un-announced and he only had knowledge of them being there when the alleged offence was taking place.

The fact that 3 people out partying on the piss were able to avoid any detection upon entering is incredible.

he was there at the house. Both sides say that. Police and defense. It is fact.

SGMax

Juniors
If he makes a statement under oath in court that he was there and of what he saw, how can he be discounted as unreliable while the woman's statements are not questioned at all (by forum members)?

The reply the woman gave to many questions was " I don't remember, it was 2 years ago" yet at other times she says she remembers details of what happened because trauma makes you remember.

There are aspects from both sides that don't quite add up.
I hope the truth comes out and justice prevails, whichever way it goes......as soon as possible.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
The accuser, said that JDB choked her until she was almost unconscious, but there were no marks around her neck???

'Slight discolouring'
A shift supervisor from a second job the woman had also provided evidence.

He told the court that the complainant disclosed to him that she had suffered injuries during the alleged assault.

The man told the jury that while he did not see any marks around her neck on December 9, he noticed a "slight discolouring" of the skin around her collarbone on December 11.

Both Mr de Belin and Mr Sinclair have pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The trial continues.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/12876676

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I really wish people would let this play out in the courts. It always bothers me to see people making a case for the defence or casting aspersions on this young girl, when it seems their underlying concern is that the Dragons might be deprived a good footballer.
tenor.gif

BennyV

Referee
100%. Stop discussing articles and public knowledge taken from media about the court case of a footy player on a public forum dedicated to the club for which that player last played and is is still employed in principle.
No one is allowed to discuss or have an opinion on it until after the court case. And even then, opinions MUST align with the findings of the jury, who are almighty and infallible in their judgement. And if he’s found not guilty, anyone who has, at any time, questioned or doubted his complete and utter innocence will be tarred, feathered, and signed up as a lifetime member of the Sharks.

redv13

Bench
100%. Stop discussing articles and public knowledge taken from media about the court case of a footy player on a public forum dedicated to the club for which that player last played and is is still employed in principle.
No one is allowed to discuss or have an opinion on it until after the court case. And even then, opinions MUST align with the findings of the jury, who are almighty and infallible in their judgement. And if he’s found not guilty, anyone who has, at any time, questioned or doubted his complete and utter innocence will be tarred, feathered, and signed up as a lifetime member of the Sharks.
Personally I hate seeing article after article posted on here about this matter. I’m trying to keep an open mind on this topic and not be swayed either way but every article that is posted makes for hard reading. Surely in 2020 people can do their own daily read up without posting every single article here.

BennyV

Referee
Personally I hate seeing article after article posted on here about this matter. I’m trying to keep an open mind on this topic and not be swayed either way but every article that is posted makes for hard reading. Surely in 2020 people can do their own daily read up without posting every single article here.
Ahh right, so it’s everyone else’s fault that you’re reading the articles?!?!

T-Boon

Coach
I really wish people would let this play out in the courts. It always bothers me to see people making a case for the defence or casting aspersions on this young girl, when it seems their underlying concern is that the Dragons might be deprived a good footballer.

I think people just like following court cases and seeing how the law works. It is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.