What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Plus Tamou wasn't told 48 hours after a grand final loss....totally different circumstance.
I thought we wanted to keep Tamou on a 1 year massively downgraded deal? So obviously 2 extremely different situations.

I still dont see how being told immediately after the season is done is a bad thing. It gives him more time to make his decision without burdening him through the regular season.

All he was told is he would be behind Staines. Not that he's sacked or can't see out his contract. He can stay if he likes or if he prefers he can look elsewhere. I dont think there's a better time to have told him.

betcats

Referee
All he was told is he would be behind Staines. Not that he's sacked or can't see out his contract. He can stay if he likes or if he prefers he can look elsewhere. I dont think there's a better time to have told him.

Exactly. It’s news he was never going to be happy to hear unfortunately. This is just how the game goes, I don’t think any club is holding Staines back next year and probably losing him just to repay Mansour for past sacrifices.

betcats

Referee
What a change dealing with their managers must be

Yes hopefully they can these deals done quickly and the sort out the troublesome ones. As rough as it would be to lose Laurie, Burton and Spencer(if the worst does happen) all three of those guys were outside our top 17 and only spencer has a sure spot next season. I don’t think Spencer will go anywhere and I’m still clinging to hope Burton will stay but I think we will be fine either way.

The Realist

Juniors
Yep the well isn't drying up. The top 15 or so are locked in for 2 years. In that time the new batch is on its way. The Ball team for next year is stacked. Those 18 or 19 year olds likely are pushing FG then

We need one of them to become an ace hooker. As much as I like Api I don't see him being as good as he was this season in 2-3 years time. People might point to Cam Smith's longevity but Api is a hooker whose style is far more physical and post 30 those style of #9's decline very fast.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes hopefully they can these deals done quickly and the sort out the troublesome ones. As rough as it would be to lose Laurie, Burton and Spencer(if the worst does happen) all three of those guys were outside our top 17 and only spencer has a sure spot next season. I don’t think Spencer will go anywhere and I’m still clinging to hope Burton will stay but I think we will be fine either way.

That is why I can't get the outrage at Laurie going. He was on a development deal.

I agree. with that and Kiks and a few others locked up to atleast 2022

betcats

Referee
Penrith have launched a significant salvo in attempts to keep their premiership-winning squad together by splashing the cash on long-term contract extensions for NSW stars Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo.

The Panthers have tabled deals for both, having kept their powder dry while they waited for the pair to conclude their State of Origin commitments — they were part of the Blues squad that was beaten in the recent series.

The hope is that they can tie them down — along with prop Spencer Leniu — in the coming weeks as they ramp up the process of retaining their grand final squad.

READ NEXT
Penrith are under attack. A handful of clubs are circling five-eighth Matt Burton, who has entered the final year of his deal. Centre Stephen Crichton initially indicated he would stay but appears to be vacillating over his future and talks in coming days and weeks are expected to provide some clarity.

FOXSPORTS0:44
Former Titans player Michael Gordon arrested
NRL: Former Gold Coast Titans player and assitant coach Michael Gordon has been arrested and charged.

Luai and Yeo are crucial pieces of the puzzle. Luai has formed a devastating partnership with Nathan Cleary while Yeo is regarded as the likely captain of the club next season, taking over from James Tamou.

Tamou has moved to the Wests Tigers, where he could yet be joined by Brisbane prop Joe Ofahengaue. Ofahengaue was back at Broncos training on Monday but there are no guarantees that is where his future lies as the Tigers consider a bid for the former Queensland State of Origin forward that would free them to terminate the contract of Josh Aloiai.

READ MORE:Dearden keen to lead ‘Kevolution’|There’s something very wrong with this picture|Hayne set for uncomfortable return to spotlight
Aloiai is keen to join Manly but has another 12 months remaining on his deal with the Tigers. The club wants the matter resolved by the end of November, but would prefer to sign a replacement before they let him go.

Brisbane coach Kevin Walters was asked about Ofahengaue on Monday and played his cards close to his chest.

FOXSPORTS1:10
Tamou should be named Tigers captain
NRL: Wests Tigers legend Ben Elias believes the club should appoint James Tamou as captain for the 2021 season.

“I just saw Joe in a Broncos kit so at this stage he’s playing here next year, as far as I know,” Walters said. “It’s good to have him back.”

While Brisbane continue to sort out their rosters — they have added former Gold Coast flyer David Mead to their ranks and are in talks with ex-Titan Dale Copley about a return to the Broncos — South Sydney shored up their future by extending the contract of Keaon Koloamatangi.

Souths’ priority is fullback Latrell Mitchell but Koloamatangi is a key retention given he won the club’s rookie of the year award for his performances in 2020.

“I’m really happy to have my contract sorted,” he said. “I don’t really see myself playing anywhere else. My heart is here at Souths. I love the boys and the staff here and I feel that we can do something special in the next couple of years.

“It’s an amazing team we have here and the competition for spots in the forwards will help me improve my game, as well as make me a better player and a better person.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...o/news-story/dcd21c9403b14215b2e1c9a7961c8c08

Just let me in, not much detail tbh but they are usually more reliable than the rest.

franklin2323

Immortal
We need one of them to become an ace hooker. As much as I like Api I don't see him being as good as he was this season in 2-3 years time. People might point to Cam Smith's longevity but Api is a hooker whose style is far more physical and post 30 those style of #9's decline very fast.

Luai and Cleary look like being here for atleast 5 years. That you think would encourage the move to put them as a 9

Bob

Juniors
I couldnt get behind the paywall so all I could get was long term. Take it with a grain of salt, I wouldnt of mentioned it if it wasnt the australian.

Penrith launches attempt to retain grand final squad with big offers for Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo

Penrith have offered a long-term deal in a bid to keep star five-eighth Jarome Luai Picture: Brett Costello
  • BRENT READ
    SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
  • 7:15PM NOVEMBER 23, 2020
  • COMMENTS
Penrith have launched a significant salvo in attempts to keep their premiership-winning squad together by splashing the cash on long-term contract extensions for NSW stars Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo.

The Panthers have tabled deals for both, having kept their powder dry while they waited for the pair to conclude their State of Origin commitments — they were part of the Blues squad that was beaten in the recent series.

The hope is that they can tie them down — along with prop Spencer Leniu — in the coming weeks as they ramp up the process of retaining their grand final squad.

Penrith are under attack. A handful of clubs are circling five-eighth Matt Burton, who has entered the final year of his deal. Centre Stephen Crichton initially indicated he would stay but appears to be vacillating over his future and talks in coming days and weeks are expected to provide some clarity.

Luai and Yeo are crucial pieces of the puzzle. Luai has formed a devastating partnership with Nathan Cleary while Yeo is regarded as the likely captain of the club next season, taking over from James Tamou.

Tamou has moved to the Wests Tigers, where he could yet be joined by Brisbane prop Joe Ofahengaue. Ofahengaue was back at Broncos training on Monday but there are no guarantees that is where his future lies as the Tigers consider a bid for the former Queensland State of Origin forward that would free them to terminate the contract of Josh Aloiai.

Aloiai is keen to join Manly but has another 12 months remaining on his deal with the Tigers. The club wants the matter resolved by the end of November, but would prefer to sign a replacement before they let him go.

Brisbane coach Kevin Walters was asked about Ofahengaue on Monday and played his cards close to his chest.

“I just saw Joe in a Broncos kit so at this stage he’s playing here next year, as far as I know,” Walters said. “It’s good to have him back.”

While Brisbane continue to sort out their rosters — they have added former Gold Coast flyer David Mead to their ranks and are in talks with ex-Titan Dale Copley about a return to the Broncos — South Sydney shored up their future by extending the contract of Keaon Koloamatangi.

Souths’ priority is fullback Latrell Mitchell but Koloamatangi is a key retention given he won the club’s rookie of the year award for his performances in 2020.

“I’m really happy to have my contract sorted,” he said. “I don’t really see myself playing anywhere else. My heart is here at Souths. I love the boys and the staff here and I feel that we can do something special in the next couple of years.

“It’s an amazing team we have here and the competition for spots in the forwards will help me improve my game, as well as make me a better player and a better person.”

The Realist

Juniors
A (Rough and Dirty) Panthers Salary Cap 2021 - Based on 2019 salary cap rules since NRL will have to cut back.

$9.6m over 30 players.

$320,000 per player

Minimum wage 105,000.

Assuming everyone out of the top 17 is on minimum wage

13 x 105,000 = 1,365,000

This leaves 8,235,000 left.

N.Cleary is on 1m so that is 7,235,000 between 16 players.

This means an average of $514,687.50 per player that we can afford.

Obviously a handful of the players outside of the top 17 will be on a little more. Assuming that 5 of them are on an average of 155,000K that would leave 6,985,000 between 16 players of $436,652.50 per player.

This seems like quite a lot HOWEVER for every player you pay, lets say 700K you’d have to pay 2 players roughly 305K.

So the question is who are our 700K’s and who are our 305K’s? We can afford roughly 5 700K players with everyone else being 305K.

JFH
Crighton
Kikau
Yeo (probable)
Luai (probable)

Leota
Edwards
Nadan
To’o
Staines
Martin
Capewell
May
Yeo (current)
Luai (current)
Tetavano
Leniu
Korisau

You would imagine that Yeo and Luai who are currently in the 300K bracket would get bumped up to the 700K range.

Lets also not forget Mansour who might stick with us, or who we might even have to 'top up'.

We have Whare who is sticking around probably taking up 350K who is impossible to offload particularly with COVID meaning a Super League offload would be extremely difficult.

Naden would have to be on the chopping block unless he is happy being one of the 5 155K players (Which I suspect he already was).

I'd also expect May could be one of those players or at least sub 200K

Now the real spanner in the works is how much we are paying Parramatta for RCG and Waqa. I believe it is still somewhere around 400-500K and with the squeeze we currently have we can see how such management is near criminal. With Whare also on the sidelines that will be an effective 700K-900K hole.

Now lets add Burton to the mix. This is honestly a bigger mess than we realised despite offloading Tamou's 700-800K.

Based on the 'back of the envelope' calculations above we can expect;

To retain Crichton and/or Burton we MUST offload Mansour and Nadan.

If somehow we get Whare off our books we will be able to retain both Crichton and Burton and perhaps keep Nadan.

A (Rough and Dirty) Panthers Salary Cap 2021 - Based on 2019 salary cap rules since NRL will have to cut back.

$9.6m over 30 players.

$320,000 per player

Minimum wage 105,000.

Assuming everyone out of the top 17 is on minimum wage

13 x 105,000 = 1,365,000

This leaves 8,235,000 left.

N.Cleary is on 1m so that is 7,235,000 between 16 players.

This means an average of $514,687.50 per player that we can afford.

Obviously a handful of the players outside of the top 17 will be on a little more. Assuming that 5 of them are on an average of 155,000K that would leave 6,985,000 between 16 players of $436,652.50 per player.

This seems like quite a lot HOWEVER for every player you pay, lets say 700K you’d have to pay 2 players roughly 305K.

So the question is who are our 700K’s and who are our 305K’s? We can afford roughly 5 700K players with everyone else being 305K.

JFH
Crighton
Kikau
Yeo (probable)
Luai (probable)

Leota
Edwards
Nadan
To’o
Staines
Martin
Capewell
May
Yeo (current)
Luai (current)
Tetavano
Leniu
Korisau

You would imagine that Yeo and Luai who are currently in the 300K bracket would get bumped up to the 700K range.

Lets also not forget Mansour who might stick with us, or who we might even have to 'top up'.

We have Whare who is sticking around probably taking up 350K who is impossible to offload particularly with COVID meaning a Super League offload would be extremely difficult.

Naden would have to be on the chopping block unless he is happy being one of the 5 155K players (Which I suspect he already was).

I'd also expect May could be one of those players or at least sub 200K

Now the real spanner in the works is how much we are paying Parramatta for RCG and Waqa. I believe it is still somewhere around 400-500K and with the squeeze we currently have we can see how such management is near criminal. With Whare also on the sidelines that will be an effective 700K-900K hole.

Now lets add Burton to the mix. This is honestly a bigger mess than we realised despite offloading Tamou's 700-800K.

Based on the 'back of the envelope' calculations above we can expect;

To retain Crichton and/or Burton we MUST offload Mansour and Nadan.

If somehow we get Whare off our books we will be able to retain both Crichton and Burton and perhaps keep Nadan.

A lot depends on when the upgraded deals kick in. If immediately, we need to clear as much cap space for 2021 as possible, but if it’s from 2022 then Whare may not be essential to move straight away.

betcats

Referee
Just balancing the numbers is hard enough, when you factor in the human side of those figures managing cap and planning for the future is pretty much a shit show.

If Burton goes I reckon we should give strong consideration to fast tracking Turuva in the right centre position. It’s either that or we go back to Naden, whose confidence is probably shot. Or we go all the way back to Whare.

Unless of course we can pull off a decent centre signing.

The Realist

Juniors
Why would it take possibly weeks to sign Crichton .Put a good offer on the table give a week if not accepted remove it and move onto others to sign

Offer $600K maybe a touch more. If he doesn't want it - we move on straight to Burton.

The question then becomes can Burton work at centre with Luai?

Or even more left field - can we shift Edwards to Centre and Burton to F/B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts