What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inosai Toga

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Ap was there first in ‘68 and Inosai came in ‘69 and stayed after Apasai passed. Ap played regular ist grade where Inosai was more reserve grade and some first grade.
In answer to your question, I’m not sure how much first grade games they actually shared including Wills Cup games..I’d be interested to know the answer as well.

Gareth67

First Grade
Cannot say with any great accuracy on just how many occasions they played together , however I do recall that a Test match being played up in Brisbane left the Saints short of forward strength ( Wittenberg, Raper and I believe Barry Beath also were in the Australian team ) .

But I do remember Inisai being on the Dragons reserve bench and coming on as a replacement later in the game . The Saints also had Kenny Maddison’s brother ( Colin I believe ? ) play a number of games for the Dragons in the second row .

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Cannot say with any great accuracy on just how many occasions they played together , however I do recall that a Test match being played up in Brisbane left the Saints short of forward strength ( Wittenberg, Raper and I believe Barry Beath also were in the Australian team ) .

But I do remember Inosai being on the reserve bench and coming on as a replacement in another game . The Saints also had Kenny Maddison’s brother ( Colin I believe ? ) play a number of games for the Dragons in the second row .
Keith Maddison! Had so many brothers in those days. Maddison’s, Togas and Cox brothers

Gareth67

First Grade
Keith Maddison! Had so many brothers in those days. Maddison’s, Togas and Cox brothers

Yes Keith Maddison it was . I believe that he was actually sitting in the crowd watching the match , when an urgent call went out to him on the P.A. system to go to the Dragons change room . Next thing he knew he was all kitted out in the Big Red V and told to get moving pronto onto the field. Just whom was injured I have no idea .

Drakon

Juniors
Don't know if the Toga brothers ever played first grade together. Inisai only played 5 first grade games according to Wikipedia.

I remember a story about one of them Probably Apisai - he had a cast being cut off after a broken arm and the saw cut into his arm. The doc asked why he didn't say anything and he said he didn't know that wasn't a normal thing.

Tough indeed.

denis preston

First Grade
Apasai was about 6ft 3 or 4 and built like a brick shithouse.Inosi was at least 3 inches taller but had a slimmer build hence i guess why he wasn't so successful.

jak

Bench
i remember him making a great run down the sideline only to find out he was on the wrong side of the sideline cant remember what grade

merahputih

Juniors
gettyimages-1081573586-2048x2048.jpg
I vaguely remember seeing Apasai for the first time when we played Souths at the SCG in 1968 in what was then the Saturday "Match of the Day" . Souths had just ended our eleven year run of premierships and there was always a lot of feeling in the encounters. One of the Souths forwards decided to rough Apasai up in a tackle- can't remember who, Sattler or O'Neill maybe, but whoever it was came off second beat and landed on the deck. No send off for punching in those days.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
An excellent interview with Apisai Toga's nephew, and former St George player, Colin Saukuru.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=763576

sh_apisai_toga.jpg

Inisai Toga

Juniors
An excellent interview with Apisai Toga's nephew, and former St George player, Colin Saukuru.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=763576

sh_apisai_toga.jpg
Thanks for that Willo. Fascinating to hear him talk about Frank Facer and ensuring that he was at the airport to sign Apisai and beating Souths to the punch. No player managers bullshit in this those days. Great listen, he left a wonderful legacy Apisai!