What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WA Tiger

Bench
Not sure how you can say Joe O is better than Aloiai

Joe O stats from NRL.com

Running Metres
Average Running Metres
Total Running Metres
Defence
Tackles Made

Tackle Efficiency 87.9%

Aloiai stats

Running Metres
Average Running Metres
Total Running Metres

Defence
Tackles Made
Tackle Efficiency
94.2%
If it was possible to put Aloiai in the Broncos team this year with them going backwards most of the time ( So did WT but the Broncos hit a new level of low even we haven't seen and there would likely have been lots of times when they just gave up which happens) ..Then the stats may have been more similar and who knows under that pressure Aloiai’s numbers may have worse than Joey O’s...Check again mid next year for a more fair comparison..

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I have accepted the fact.
Will be fascinating how Hook go’s next year for yous ..Nothing seems to phase him and if you have a good day he will criticise about what you did wrong ...in a good way ..I like that and I’m sure there’s a few happy punters at your end with the change ..And of course the small matter of him having a good winning and getting into finals record ..Regardless of what’s said it’s easy to believe personalities/egos were more the problem at Penrith...We will soon find out ..I bet he was cheering for Melbourne haha

Last edited:

redVinme

Bench
Will be fascinating how Hook go’s next year for yous ..Nothing seems to phase him and if you have a good day he will criticise about what you did wrong ...in a good way ..I like that and I’m sure there’s a few happy punters at your end with the change ..And of course the small matter of him having a good winning and getting into finals record ..Regardless of what’s said it’s easy to believe personalities/egos were more the problem at Penrith...We will soon find out ..I bet he was cheering for Melbourne haha

I think he will create more belief and accountability. The jdb shit show has really made it hard. I think he will do well but as it stands we aren't a top 8 side in paper. Too much $ tied up in under performers. Id imagine you'd feel the same with Reynolds etc. Hopefully we both see some growth.

WA Tiger

Bench
I think he will create more belief and accountability. The jdb shit show has really made it hard. I think he will do well but as it stands we aren't a top 8 side in paper. Too much $ tied up in under performers. Id imagine you'd feel the same with Reynolds etc. Hopefully we both see some growth.
Yea a bit in common ...Mary’s was a slow death.. leading to loss of game day selection of players which meant the end.. ...I don’t think Madge is quite there yet but with our lack of results, definite and possible shit recruitment, money spent on them and impulsive letting go of our fullback I’m pretty sure he’s become an observer there, which could work in his favour and he may be happy with that arrangement? Tho it seems we have gone to the opposite extreme which could imo result in loss of players we need ....At least very good players don’t seem to mind going to the dragons, unlike the WT. You had the players there for a while for a shot but Mary just couldn’t convert...We just need results this year coz the Brass I think are not blind to Madges frailties and are open to sending him down Mary Lane...Im sure it won’t be as drawn out but we seem to finding any excuse to keep him ..Good luck with Bird I hope he smashes it..and yea Hook should set things right there in quick time imo

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
There is an unconfirmed rumour that Benji has been offered a $700,000+, one year deal at Hull FC over in England

It would have to be BS wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Trollhammaren

Juniors
There is an unconfirmed rumour that Benji has been offered a $700,000+, one year deal at Hull FC over in England

That is, from what I understand, about 20% of a Super League club's salary cap for one player. He couldn't get near what he was after in Aus (reportedly around $400k), so this makes no sense at all.

definitely possible. Will sell a million season tickets. Club has Hodgson and Ellis on the coaching staff who probably both still have some kind of a relationship with the guy too. Not the worst move in the world for the bloke.

All the best to the bloke, I know he’s a club legend but if he as aspirations to be an NRL coach then he has to take this opportunity.

I agree about swap deals though, our way forward (much like the Raiders 5 years back) could well be signing English players who want to test themselves over here (since we struggle in the player market). This could be an ideal starting point.
Must formalise the Hull relationship, great if it comes for Reynolds, the Tigers and Hull. Like to see a 6 or 7 learn his trade in the the UK as well.

The Rosco

Bench
It looks like Edene Gebbie might still play for us after all.
On the other forum, "The Pom" who gets VERY good mail says that Gebbie will be with us for next year.
I can't recall Pom being wrong about recruitment.
Don't know what level of contract, but apparently he will be here.
He is a crazy hard, big and pretty quick outside back. Steps, fends or just runs straight over the top of them.

At this time of the year, we tend to get a bit excited for next year . . . wondering how the couple of new players will help the team. And every year, we think next year will be different and have our souls crushed by round 9.
But next year just might be different !

Hoofhearted

Juniors
NRL 2021: Josh Reynolds exit frees crucial cap space for Wests Tigers
Josh Reynolds’ decision to sign with Super League club Hull FC has freed $500,000 - but Wests Tigers won’t be pursuing the NRL’s biggest off-contract star.

Paul Crawley and Fatima Kdouh
December 6, 2020 - 3:16PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom43 comments

Wests Tigers will not re-enter the hunt for Josh Addo-Carr but will target more outside back speed in the wake of Josh Reynolds’ decision to take up an offer in the English Super League with Hull FC.

In what’s likely to spark another round of NRL player transfer musical chairs, the Tigers will now have close to $500,000 available in next season’s salary cap.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Reynolds has agreed to link with Hull’s newly appointed coach and 2005 Tigers’ grand final-winning fullback Brett Hodgson in the north of England.

While Reynolds’ deal is yet to be made official, there is no doubt he is on his way to England.

The Tigers are also trying to negotiate an early release for boom Penrith youngster Daine Laurie who has already signed for 2022 and beyond.

Laurie will get first crack at fullback if he is allowed to join his new club early, otherwise Moses Mbye is in line to start the season wearing the No.1.

cc342e5b1b4f15e2cf36e31fd5022416

Josh Reynolds is heading to Super League. Picture: Matt Roberts/Getty
That’s not to say the Tigers won’t now go looking for other options.

Players the calibre of Josh Mansour are still looking for a new club while Souths would release Corey Allan if he can find a longer deal elsewhere.

The Tigers are also privately convinced Addo-Carr is still manoeuvring to negotiate his way into Souths despite the lucrative offer that has been tabled by Canterbury.

That could potentially cause other players out.

Of course, Addo-Carr won’t be available until 2022 but regardless the Tigers aren’t interested.

What is clear is this is the best salary cap position the Tigers have been in under Michael Maguire.

e204378caf4270a6da1f8eb9fd4b3ef0

Joe Ofahengaue is due at training this week. Picture: at Broncos training on the bottom field. Pic Annette Dew
Reynolds’ exit means they have three spots to fill in their 2021 roster.

They have already signed James Roberts to partner Joey Leilua in the centres.

Adam Doueihi is expected to move to five-eighth with Luke Brooks at halfback.

They also have David Nofoaluma, Tommy Talau and Paul Momirovski to throw into the mix along with young Jock Madden and Billy Walters.

Roberts and fellow recruit Joe Ofahengaue met up with their new teammates on Friday.

Ofahengaue is due at training on Monday while Roberts is expected to arrive the following week.

Reynolds had one year to go on his monster $3m four-year deal signed when Ivan Cleary was in charge.

4a96ab7c1bfc244246fdcf48f1c1dfde

Josh Addo-Carr may not get his wish to play with the Rabbitohs in 2022. Picture: AAP Image/Scott Barbour
Reynolds has been promised a starting spot at Hull after an up-and-down stint at the Tigers where it just never worked out for him.

Reynolds, 31, was always under enormous pressure at the Tigers because of the big money he was on and ongoing injuries didn’t help his cause, having made only 22 NRL appearances in three seasons.

He will leave the NRL with a reputation as a fierce and tenacious competitor who always gave nothing but his best on the field.

Latest posts