What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing

T-Boon

Coach
I am going to keep an eye on Tszyu. Could be the real deal. How long since we had a legit good boxer. I mean top 20 P4P in world type?

shiznit

Coach
Compare 5 rounds of UFC ( Hunt hasn’t ever gone the distance at all) to 12 rounds of boxing?

different type of cardio... getting wrestled hard for five 5min rounds can be more exhausting than 12 3min slow paced boxing rounds.

the irony is Gal might well be able to handle the wrestling cardio as he would have built a similar base from his football days.

Hunto has gone 5 UFC rounds before but he’s never really looked great beyond the 3rd.

what the f**k is up with Gal calling out Rob?? Never a good look when a heavyweight calls out a middleweight who has fought as low as welterweight.

For his last fight a month or so ago Rob weighed in about 20kgs lighter than Gal weighed in at for this fight.

no way anyone sanctions that shit...

Hoofhearted

Juniors
different type of cardio... getting wrestled hard for five 5min rounds can be more exhausting than 12 3min slow paced boxing rounds.

the irony is Gal might well be able to handle the wrestling cardio as he would have built a similar base from his football days.

Hunto has gone 5 UFC rounds before but he’s never really looked great beyond the 3rd.

what the f**k is up with Gal calling out Rob?? Never a good look when a heavyweight calls out a middleweight who has fought as low as welterweight.

For his last fight a month or so ago Rob weighed in about 20kgs lighter than Gal weighed in at for this fight.

no way anyone sanctions that shit...

Gal is 5ft10 and fought at 103kgs, Rob is 6ft and although he weighs in at 84kgs his normal weight is 100kgs.

I love the quotes from Rob today when he was asked about this:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...1/news-story/f35a5615224601eabd8c3eca560892b4

UFC superstar Robert Whittaker has no problem switching sports to fight Paul Gallen early in 2021, saying of the undefeated heavyweight: “He doesn’t want to be a boxer, he just wants money”.

Despite competing at the UFC middleweight limit of 83.9kg, Whittaker has told The Daily Telegraph he will happily accept a fight with Gallen after the NRL great called him out on Wednesday night at Bankwest Stadium.

After earning an upset decision win over UFC legend Mark Hunt, Gallen immediately challenged Whittaker, who has lost only one of his last 12 UFC fights.

The Cronulla premiership hero than doubled down with journalists afterwards, labelling the western Sydney father-of-three a “condescending prick” who would get “smacked” if he tried to challenge for the UFC middleweight crown again.

Yet Australia’s first UFC champion has told Gallen he can give up on what has already been 24 hours of trash talk, stressing the former NSW Origin skipper “doesn’t need to egg me into a fight, it’s what I do for a living”.

After going five years without a loss in the UFC — which included claiming, then defending the middleweight crown — Whittaker’s run finally came to an end on the same day as the 2019 NRL Grand Final, when he lost his belt to breakout New Zealander Israel Adesanya.

Since then however, the 29-year-old has fought his way back into the title picture with comprehensive wins over rising English star Darren Till and hyped American Jared Cannonier.

Given Whittaker wants his next fight to be for a UFC title, he could potentially challenge Gallen in March or April — with Adesanya currently being linked to a bout with UFC light heavyweight champ Jan Blachowicz.

Asked about the Gallen’s call out on Thursday, Whittaker said he was ready to accept.

“Funnily enough, I’m in the fight business,” he grinned.

“Obviously I’ll need to be cleared by the UFC. And there’s a few other details that will also need to be sorted.

“But if everyone can come to terms then, yeah, I’ll happily show him the inside of my glove.”

Interviewed in the ring immediately after the Hunt win, Gallen said he wanted to face Whittaker after the UFC fighter had disrespected him during a 2019 podcast interview.

“Rob Whittaker, I watched you about a year ago in an interview and you were asked if you would fight me,” Gallen shouted. “You said ‘yeah I would fight him, but he wouldn’t fight me’ and you gave a condescending laugh.

“I’m here mate, I’m happy to meet you in here.”

The former NRL footballer then doubled down at the post-fight press conference, adding: “He (Whittaker) laughed, in a way that annoyed me.

“I thought ‘stuff you, you condescending pr..k.”

To which Whittaker says what?

“Paul really needs to settle down,” he replied, grinning. “When that question was asked, yes, I laughed because it was such an ‘out there’ thing.

“Like asking him about me jumping into the NSW Origin team.

“So I laughed and apparently that got under his skin.

“So I’m sorry Paul that you’ve had to hold a grudge for all this time.”

“It’s about money,” Whittaker said.

“When it comes to combat sports, I’m one of the biggest names in this region.

“So I’m sure if this fight goes ahead, it will generate a lot of interest and generate a nice payday for him. That’s the main reason he fights.

“He doesn’t want to be a boxer. He wants to earn money.”

Elsewhere after Wednesday night’s win, Gallen also suggested he was the best fight for Whittaker given the No.1 middleweight contender would get “smacked” in any rematch attempt with Adesanya.

“Trying to poke the bear, isn’t he,” the MMA star laughed in response. “But honestly, I don’t give a f… what Paul Gallen thinks.

“Right now, he’s talking a big game.

“So maybe he should fight Adesanya next? Or come step into the Octagon with me?

“What Paul needs to understand is that he doesn’t have to try and egg me into a fight.

“I fight for a living.

“It’s what I do.

“And there are levels to this thing.

“Inside the Octagon, I’ve fought some of the baddest men on the planet. So I’m definitely not going to (dodge) a boxing fight with Paul Gallen.”

Already, Whittaker’s agent Titus Day has told The Daily Telegraph his client will need $1.5 million to switch sports and box Gallen.

While the Cronulla premiership hero has suggested Team Whittaker are trying to price themselves out of a fight, Day said again on Thursday that the seven-figure amount would be required if Whittaker was to switch from MMA for the one-off boxing showdown.

shiznit

Coach
Gal is 5ft10 and fought at 103kgs, Rob is 6ft and although he weighs in at 84kgs his normal weight is 100kgs.

I love the quotes from Rob today when he was asked about this:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...1/news-story/f35a5615224601eabd8c3eca560892b4

UFC superstar Robert Whittaker has no problem switching sports to fight Paul Gallen early in 2021, saying of the undefeated heavyweight: “He doesn’t want to be a boxer, he just wants money”.

Despite competing at the UFC middleweight limit of 83.9kg, Whittaker has told The Daily Telegraph he will happily accept a fight with Gallen after the NRL great called him out on Wednesday night at Bankwest Stadium.

After earning an upset decision win over UFC legend Mark Hunt, Gallen immediately challenged Whittaker, who has lost only one of his last 12 UFC fights.

The Cronulla premiership hero than doubled down with journalists afterwards, labelling the western Sydney father-of-three a “condescending prick” who would get “smacked” if he tried to challenge for the UFC middleweight crown again.

Yet Australia’s first UFC champion has told Gallen he can give up on what has already been 24 hours of trash talk, stressing the former NSW Origin skipper “doesn’t need to egg me into a fight, it’s what I do for a living”.

After going five years without a loss in the UFC — which included claiming, then defending the middleweight crown — Whittaker’s run finally came to an end on the same day as the 2019 NRL Grand Final, when he lost his belt to breakout New Zealander Israel Adesanya.

Since then however, the 29-year-old has fought his way back into the title picture with comprehensive wins over rising English star Darren Till and hyped American Jared Cannonier.

Given Whittaker wants his next fight to be for a UFC title, he could potentially challenge Gallen in March or April — with Adesanya currently being linked to a bout with UFC light heavyweight champ Jan Blachowicz.

Asked about the Gallen’s call out on Thursday, Whittaker said he was ready to accept.

“Funnily enough, I’m in the fight business,” he grinned.

“Obviously I’ll need to be cleared by the UFC. And there’s a few other details that will also need to be sorted.

“But if everyone can come to terms then, yeah, I’ll happily show him the inside of my glove.”

Interviewed in the ring immediately after the Hunt win, Gallen said he wanted to face Whittaker after the UFC fighter had disrespected him during a 2019 podcast interview.

“Rob Whittaker, I watched you about a year ago in an interview and you were asked if you would fight me,” Gallen shouted. “You said ‘yeah I would fight him, but he wouldn’t fight me’ and you gave a condescending laugh.

“I’m here mate, I’m happy to meet you in here.”

The former NRL footballer then doubled down at the post-fight press conference, adding: “He (Whittaker) laughed, in a way that annoyed me.

“I thought ‘stuff you, you condescending pr..k.”

To which Whittaker says what?

“Paul really needs to settle down,” he replied, grinning. “When that question was asked, yes, I laughed because it was such an ‘out there’ thing.

“Like asking him about me jumping into the NSW Origin team.

“So I laughed and apparently that got under his skin.

“So I’m sorry Paul that you’ve had to hold a grudge for all this time.”

“It’s about money,” Whittaker said.

“When it comes to combat sports, I’m one of the biggest names in this region.

“So I’m sure if this fight goes ahead, it will generate a lot of interest and generate a nice payday for him. That’s the main reason he fights.

“He doesn’t want to be a boxer. He wants to earn money.”

Elsewhere after Wednesday night’s win, Gallen also suggested he was the best fight for Whittaker given the No.1 middleweight contender would get “smacked” in any rematch attempt with Adesanya.

“Trying to poke the bear, isn’t he,” the MMA star laughed in response. “But honestly, I don’t give a f… what Paul Gallen thinks.

“Right now, he’s talking a big game.

“So maybe he should fight Adesanya next? Or come step into the Octagon with me?

“What Paul needs to understand is that he doesn’t have to try and egg me into a fight.

“I fight for a living.

“It’s what I do.

“And there are levels to this thing.

“Inside the Octagon, I’ve fought some of the baddest men on the planet. So I’m definitely not going to (dodge) a boxing fight with Paul Gallen.”

Already, Whittaker’s agent Titus Day has told The Daily Telegraph his client will need $1.5 million to switch sports and box Gallen.

While the Cronulla premiership hero has suggested Team Whittaker are trying to price themselves out of a fight, Day said again on Thursday that the seven-figure amount would be required if Whittaker was to switch from MMA for the one-off boxing showdown.

no f**king way Rob walks around at 100kg... no chance on earth.

that’s a 35 pound weight cut... and considering he used to fight at welterweight that means he used to cut 50 pounds to make weight... :joy::joy:

I’d say Rob walks around at about 90ish kgs.

Rob’s not a boxer too.... he has a Karate base... so it’s not a bad style matchup for Gal I guess.

interesting Rob mentioned Adesanya... :joy::joy:

No f**king way Gal wants Stylebender.

Adesanya would beat Gal easily... he would out work him and probably toy with him.

The difference between Rob and Adesanya is huge... Stylebender actually has real boxing experience...

he’s already beaten real boxers... his only loss was to Daniel Amman which was his boxing debut... :joy::joy:

and he’s got a win over Brian Minto... who’s definitely about 25 steps higher than any boxer Gal has fought... :joy::joy:

shaggs

Coach

that’s a 35 pound weight cut... and considering he used to fight at welterweight that means he used to cut 50 pounds to make weight... :joy::joy:

Rob’s not a boxer too.... he has a Karate base... so it’s not a bad style matchup for Gal I guess.

Adesanya would beat Gal easily... he would out work him and probably toy with him.

The difference between Rob and Adesanya is huge... Stylebender actually has real boxing experience...

he’s already beaten real boxers... his only loss was to Daniel Amman which was his boxing debut... :joy::joy:

and he’s got a win over Brian Minto... who’s definitely about 25 steps higher than any boxer Gal has fought... :joy::joy:
There is one thing Gal does well and does often, is get people talking.

Thise guys on the undercard for Wednesday’s fights, would have loved to have the opportunity to be on a pay per view card, rather than toil away at south’s juniors again.

If Gal talking rubbish and calling people get eyes on boxing and gets events broadcast then so be it.

He doesn’t want to be Aussie champ or anything like that. He just wants to earn money while training and getting used to being a retired sportsman.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

He spoke about it on The Howie Games podcast, also it was in an article in the telegraph. He walks around at 96kgs when he is training and will be this weight until around 10 days before a fight, that means he's still in peak condition and would easily be 100kgs outside of training camps. He has said he'll fight Gallen at 100kgs because he doesnt want to put on any extra weight because it becomes detrimental to his UFC weight cuts.
I dont think people actually realise the amount of weight that UFC fighters cut, its been an ongoing debate for years because of concerns to their health. McGregor used to fight at 145 pounds and would look like a skeleton on the scales, his last couple of fights were at 170 pounds and he still had to cut weight.
As for people thinking that Gallen is anywhere near the calibre of Rob, well they are probably the same people who thought Conor had a chance against Mayweather. Even though Rob doesnt box he still would of done 10x the amount of boxing training that Gal has. Whilst Gal has done well with what he has been doing people forget that he is a 39yo retired footballer and part time boxer who almost got knocked out by a 46yo retired MMA fighter. Rob is 29yo and at the peak of his powers, this will be a training drill for him.

shiznit

Coach
He spoke about it on The Howie Games podcast, also it was in an article in the telegraph. He walks around at 96kgs when he is training and will be this weight until around 10 days before a fight, that means he's still in peak condition and would easily be 100kgs outside of training camps. He has said he'll fight Gallen at 100kgs because he doesnt want to put on any extra weight because it becomes detrimental to his UFC weight cuts.
I dont think people actually realise the amount of weight that UFC fighters cut, its been an ongoing debate for years because of concerns to their health. McGregor used to fight at 145 pounds and would look like a skeleton on the scales, his last couple of fights were at 170 pounds and he still had to cut weight.
As for people thinking that Gallen is anywhere near the calibre of Rob, well they are probably the same people who thought Conor had a chance against Mayweather. Even though Rob doesnt box he still would of done 10x the amount of boxing training that Gal has. Whilst Gal has done well with what he has been doing people forget that he is a 39yo retired footballer and part time boxer who almost got knocked out by a 46yo retired MMA fighter. Rob is 29yo and at the peak of his powers, this will be a training drill for him.
Believe me dude... I take a strong interest in the UFC and am aware of weight cutting... if he’s saying that he’s cutting that much weight then he’s bullshitting.

Cutting that much weight doesn’t even make sense logically..

It’s accepted that the sweet spot for cutting weight is about 5-7% body fat.

once you start cutting more than that you start hindering your performance... and it’s a steep drop off. They say every one percent over that 7% is like a 10% drop in performance.

so you need to weigh up whether or not the size advantage you get at that weight is worth the drop in performance.

what your talking about with Rob is a 15-20% drop in body fat.... that’s INSANE.

and for what?? He’s not even a big Middleweight. Adesanya is bigger than him... and he barely cuts to get to MW.

Infact he often comes in well under the MW limit.

the only person who cuts that much weight at MW is Paulo Costa.

if Rob was seriously cutting that much weight there would need to be some serious questions asked of his team.

no f**king way would he be allowed to cut that much weight if he was at CKB.

I know Joe Lopez and Eugene have Volk at 10-15lbs at all times.

I honestly think Rob was pulling their leg or was over exaggerating. it doesn’t even make sense.

Conor I get... when he cuts down to FW/LW he’s a huge FW/LW.

Rob’s not even a big MW.

Latest posts