1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Boxing

Discussion in 'Other Sport and Pastimes' started by BuderusIsaBeast, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Valheru

Valheru Coach

You are right in that Whittaker isn't a big MW but his proposed walk around weight isn't that much of a stretch. There is a difference between walk around weight when not actively preparing for a fight and the weight from which he would cut at in the weeks leading up to the fight.

I don't think it is unfeasible that Rob would drop a good 5-10lbs between when a contract is signed for a fight and when he enters training camp proper.

Khabib for example is known to have a "walk around" weight of 175-180lbs which is 25-30lbs above LW limit but he certainly wouldn't be cutting from that point during training camp.

blue bags likes this.
  2. Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted Juniors

UFC superstar Robert Whittaker has revealed a 100kg ‘catch weight’ is the most likely landing point for his hyped boxing showdown with Paul Gallen.

As first revealed by News Corp, Whittaker has agreed to a one-off boxing switch after being called out by Gallen at Bankwest Stadium on Wednesday night.

Usually, Whittaker walks around at about 96kg.

The Sydneysider also regains around 8kg between his weigh-ins and entry into the Octagon some 30 hours later.

Asked about fighting a rival who weighed 104kg, Whittaker said: “I don’t really want to box over 100kg.

“That for me really is my off-season weight.

As I mentioned before, Rob is not that small and by agreeing to fight at 100kg would suggest that is somewhere around his normal weight. He is not going to bulk up for a one off boxing match against a retired footballer, he would have strict training regimes designed around his UFC career to minimise the impact of weight cuts and putting on bulk muscle would be detrimental to all that.

blue bags likes this.
  3. blue bags

blue bags First Grade

part 1

part 2

sugar ray Leonard, 1 of my favorite boxers

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    gUt, Hoofhearted and Willie Ray like this.
  4. Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted Juniors

Still remember watching the super fight against Hagler when I was young, amazing battle of skill v brute force. Hagler v Hearns was a classic as well and gives a good perspective on how good Leonard went against Hagler. I remember in the 80’s the big fights would be on FTA live on Sunday mornings and that’s what hooked me into boxing.
    Unfortunately nowadays a retired footballer against a retired MMA fighter is considered a super fight so the sport has lost its way, I watch mostly UFC nowadays.

blue bags likes this.
  5. blue bags

blue bags First Grade

6. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker Coach

Wtf?

blue bags likes this.
  7. blue bags

blue bags First Grade

this is a super fight :)