What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL 2021 Season Issue

Stake Removed

First Grade
Bomber won't have squad even ready by round 1, they will come out not interested and we will be 0-1 straight out of gate.

Bomber won't have this mob ready to go.
I don't even know the draw but you can see it now

shaggs

Coach
Bomber won't have squad even ready by round 1, they will come out not interested and we will be 0-1 straight out of gate.

Bomber won't have this mob ready to go.
I don't even know the draw but you can see it now
Much the same as Flanno. We have barely won a round 1 game in the past 10 years.
Don’t use this in your agenda.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Much the same as Flanno. We have barely won a round 1 game in the past 10 years.
Don’t use this in your agenda.
Why different coach also Flanno is a premiership winning coach I think we will be 1-3 after 4 games next year and that should be bye bomber

shaggs

Coach
Flanagan first 4 games
2011 LWWL (season 7W-17L
2012 LLWW (season 12W-11L-1D)
2013 WLWL (season 14W-10L)
2014 LLLL (season 5W-17L) banned year
2015 LLLL (season 14W-10L)
2016 LWLW (season 17W-6L)
2017 LWLW (season 15W-9L)
2018 LLWW (season 16W-8L)

Morris
2019 LWLW (season 12W-12L)
2020 LLLW (season 10W-10L)

Show me how the first 4 games make any difference to how the season finishes. It’s no indicator of further matches

Since 2011-, we have won round 1, once.
Since 2011 we have never won more than 2 of the first 4.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Flanagan first 4 games
2011 LWWL (season 7W-17L
2012 LLWW (season 12W-11L-1D)
2013 WLWL (season 14W-10L)
2014 LLLL (season 5W-17L) banned year
2015 LLLL (season 14W-10L)
2016 LWLW (season 17W-6L)
2017 LWLW (season 15W-9L)
2018 LLWW (season 16W-8L)

Morris
2019 LWLW (season 12W-12L)
2020 LLLW (season 10W-10L)

Show me how the first 4 games make any difference to how the season finishes. It’s no indicator of further matches

Since 2011-, we have won round 1, once.
Since 2011 we have never won more than 2 of the first 4.
It does you start having to chase wins, you can't rest players with niggles, look at Bellamy gets his team away to good start can rest players, Roosters were doing the same

Chimp

Bench
Just seen some photos from Monday’s field session - Moylan looks ripped, never seen him looking so athletic, Brails too.... And Fifita has got a normal haircut and looks to have lost all his flab.....

Positive signs

Quigs

Immortal
Just seen some photos from Monday’s field session - Moylan looks ripped, never seen him looking so athletic, Brails too.... And Fifita has got a normal haircut and looks to have lost all his flab.....

Positive signs

I will officially assess the situation in March 2021 thanks Chimp.

Chimp

Bench
I will officially assess the situation in March 2021 thanks Chimp.
To be fair, better to wait until September before judging, don’t wanna be going off early like the poor old Drag Queens did year after year...

Tiger Shark

Bench

Positive signs

Fifita didn't want to start the preseason in fat camp like he did last year. With a new Athletic department it was also going to be a tougher off season. Smart move.

Generalzod

Immortal

Positive signs

A positive story on Moyza

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fi...s-morris-halves-headache-20201222-p56pk0.html

The signs are so positive for Cronulla enigma Matt Moylan he has been hailed the Sharks' best trainer leading into Christmas.

Moylan looked a picture of health at the club's final training session for the year, and if he can stay fit for the opening couple of months of next season, he, alongside Chad Townsend and the returning Shaun Johnson, will create a welcome halves headache for coach John Morris.

2710f1f99f59918944427a9f4bc2be70938ab9c8

Matt Moylan in full flight at training on Tuesday.CREDIT:SAM MOOY/SMH

A few Cronulla players have been in the wars in recent weeks, including Will Kennedy, who went down in pain after rolling his ankle for the second time in as many weeks on Tuesday, along with Andrew Fifita, who injured a calf playing in the Tribal League, and Sione Katoa, who required surgery on his foot after he trod on a sea urchin while fishing.

But Moylan has been humming, with Morris praising the former representative who was limited to just 19 games the past two seasons.

Advertisement
An in-form Moylan would be a welcome boost for Morris's hopes of securing a new deal beyond next season, a subject the coach did not want to address on Tuesday.

53866ea2ac771b237af5c66b9ee40e4f2025a4d1

The Cronulla star has been hailed as the club's best trainer leading into Christmas.CREDIT:SAM MOOY/SMH

"'Moyza' has been impressive - he's probably been our best,'' Morris told the Herald. "You would have seen then how he ran over 19 in the yo-yo test. He's put in a lot of hard work during this first block [of training] and he's been rewarded for that.

"He's been able to manage this period well and made a lot of sacrifices away from footy, which I'm sure has had a lot to do with it. He's invested a lot of time into his body. He's sought other methods around making his hammys stronger. Our high-performance manager Nathan Pickworth has also been outstanding for him.

"In the past, sometimes less is not always the best way with Moyza, and you need to try and push him a bit to get that load and durability into his body.

"And as an outcome of now doing that high-load training, his performances have gone through the roof and I'm really proud of him.''

Johnson's ruptured Achilles means he will not return for the first couple of months for the Sharks campaign, and Morris said Moylan ''is in the box seat to make the position his own for the early part of the year''.

e27dc14013b068b034fa2b1d418723fba27e3f0f

Andrew Fifita was impossible to miss with his new haircut.CREDIT:SAM MOOY/SMH

Sparing him the extra running at fullback would also help Moylan's dodgy hamstrings.

"He played five-eighth in 2018 on the left with Wade [Graham], so he's accustomed to that position. [Braydon] Trindall, Luke Metcalf and Connor Tracey, who has also had an impressive pre-season, can play [No. 6] as well. But Moyza is having a good crack at it.''

Fifita stood out with a funky new haircut and continues to drop weight after being forced to miss the start of pre-season because of a calf injured suffered during the Tribal League, the Indigenous competition played over three weekends last month
Like Moylan, Fifita oozes natural talent but was limited to just a dozen games himself in 2020.

"He upset a calf muscle and lost a couple of weeks, but he's getting going and we're looking to bring his body weight down to well under 120kg - he's not too far off it, and with the new rules it helps carrying less,'' Morris said.

Fullback Kennedy winced in pain at the start of Tuesday's hitout on a murky morning in the Shire, but Morris said the youngster was expected to be fine when the team reconvened in the new year.

And Katoa was also due back after his foot ballooned following the run-in with a sea urchin while fishing. Morris said the winger required surgery to help flush out the wound.

Quigs

Immortal
Ummm you know I am about over reading about how good our "special" blokes are setting the world on fire at pre, pre season training.

I think I might need to see a few of them regularly and consistently putting their bodies on the line during some tight encounters on the paddock to lift my spirits.

Time will tell I guess, but I am not too excited.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Ummm you know I am about over reading about how good our "special" blokes are setting the world on fire at pre, pre season training.

I think I might need to see a few of them regularly and consistently putting their bodies on the line during some tight encounters on the paddock to lift my spirits.

Could always not read them

Chimp

Bench

To be fair, I’m less interested in reading the waffle (it’s very rare a coach other than Bellamy comes out and says player X has been shithouse in this pre-season and won’t be getting a game until he sorts it) and more interested in how he looks. He’s never looked muscular or athletic, even in his pomp at the Panthers - he actually looks like an athlete currently.

snout

First Grade
There's an interview vid on our site with performance guy Pickworth about preseason up to Xmas break- he makes special mention of moylan and how good its been to work with him.
Also some footage of him leading the pack in some drills.
Very heartening.