What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-contract players 2021

possm

Coach
The good part with Hook is I think that the plodders will be sorted out pretty quickly and they will hopefully end up on the “anyone but” list.

That is how the pathway system to 1st grade should work in that those that haven’t cut the mustard don’t block those that might make it.

I perceive that Merrin, Norman, Williame, Fuimaono will all be on that list by round 5 and that they remain on it unless there is a catastrophic run of injuries.

I also suspect that Blacker will need to show some real improvement especially in lateral movement or he might make the list as well because Hook has a good eye for young players and a basic understanding of those that might make it and those that never will.

So expect some culling in both the senior and emerging ranks.
Blacker is young and only on min wage. Props usually take f few years to come good. I think Griffin will rotate his bench from week to week and give everyone a chance to prove themselves. For those who aren't up to it - maybe Blacker, the club will decide to cut him or to continue his development.

redv13

Bench
It’s funny as fans we see the same things on the field but have wildly different opinions. JP is one of the first I’d be cutting next year. He lead the team in average running meters 169m & tackle busts 77 but managed only 1 try. Clearly not good enough for a first grade winger.
You only have to see who played inside him to understand why he only scored 1 try. May as well have had Stevie Wonder playing centre on the left side

Crush

Coach
Willing to bet $100 that he doesn't.

Bloke is turning 32 next year and has been rubbish for about 5 years now.
I'm not saying he will play origin or anything silly but reckon he will be an important member of the first grade team.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Blacker is young and only on min wage. Props usually take f few years to come good. I think Griffin will rotate his bench from week to week and give everyone a chance to prove themselves. For those who aren't up to it - maybe Blacker, the club will decide to cut him or to continue his development.
I have big wraps on Blacker in my opinion he’s Vaughan’s replacement in the next couple of years. If he could have played a full 2020 in CC then I think he’s challenging for a spot round one. But as it is we’ll need to see how he develops & hopefully he gets a crack at first grade in the second half of the season.

Maddragon99

Juniors
You only have to see who played inside him to understand why he only scored 1 try. May as well have had Stevie Wonder playing centre on the left side
That’s very true but given his robust running I think he could have been more proactive looking for work in the middle. Our pack could have used his help.

possm

Coach
-Vaughan has an option in his favour for 2022
-Dufty, maybe? He’ll need to have his best ever year to retain his spot in 2021 there are some outstanding fullbacks in the system who can take the high ball & can tackle. Ramsey, Sloan & James Schiller
-Norman obviously NO
-McInnes as discussed on here at length looking less likely to accommodate Hunt.
-Ellis dependant on performance probably yes
-Merrin No retirement
-Blacker Yes he’s a future starting Prop
-Williame No will be released/unsigned
-Brittian Yes unless otherwise replaced from within
-Fuimaono No will be released/unsigned
-Pierera No will be released/unsigned

should free up well over a $1M in cap space.
Norman alone will free up over 800k.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Norman alone will free uip over 800k.
Given that all clubs are well into preseason training with squads largely assembled our immediate recruitment might be at an end. If this is the case we’ll be well under the cap in 2021, add this to the $1M or so we’ll get back in 2021 Hook will be very well placed to recruit aggressively.

Como Connection

First Grade
Signing people depends on
1) are they good enough to fulfil a role
2) are they value for money
3) do we have better options coming thru? Or is there a better signing to replace them?
4) attitude- do they want to be at the club? Are they positive team players?

take JP as an example. (A player I really like having at the club)
1) he is a solid player but not a star
2) I don’t know salaries, so this is always hard, but I understand JP is a value player
3) we have a bunch of younger players coming thru meaning a lot of competition. Yeah I’m As these guys develop that will become even more so. Also players like rav4
4) top,quality

so I used JP as an example. I want to keep him, and I think he is needed until the younger guys come thru... however he probably needs to show a bit more this season so as to not be viewed as a road block to the young guys. Still, is a good backup I’d like to keep.
EA is no longer inside JP.
A huge improvement.
CC

possm

Coach
You have your wish..almost
CEO, coach gone
Player gone after 2021 after trying to pass him on in 2020
Recuitment director demoted to manager and now reports to new coach and GM
Although we will have a very talented young backline initially at a bargain price, we will need all the salary cap we can gather to keep them at our Club. So a plan should be in place to ditch all depth players who are above or not close to base salary. Like with Lomax, retain these players long term on medium priced contracts. My estimation on todays money is that this could be done for about 3m - 4m p/a. Then make incremental salary adjustments as necessary.

Coffs dragon

Bench
You have your wish..almost
CEO, coach gone
Player gone after 2021 after trying to pass him on in 2020
Recuitment director demoted to manager and now reports to new coach and GM
The former Director of Pathways & recruitment should have been sent packing along the pathway & out the gate of DragonWorld....never to return. Demotion of position was a cop out.

BLM01

First Grade
The former Director of Pathways & recruitment should have been sent packing along the pathway & out the gate of DragonWorld....never to return. Demotion of position was a cop out.
He still may yet. But they could not get rid of him until there is a transition for someone else to come up to speed (Hook & Haran) to where our whole recruitment $$$, negotiations, contracts, future year $$ plan spending etc was at.
If he went with Mary, someone would of had to come in and start in no mans land.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
He still may yet. But they could not get rid of him until there is a transition for someone else to come up to speed (Hook & Haran) to where our whole recruitment $$$, negotiations, contracts, future year $$ plan spending etc was at.
If he went with Mary, someone would of had to come in and start in no mans land.

This is exactly right. No one else knew (even Haran) the extent of our contracts and salary cap situation. He got a 'pass mark' or stay of sacking because of this and that McGregor was mainly responsible for signing players with 'whatever it takes'.

The mind boggles to think what was said and promised to our many juniors who signed on. I just hope Hook can provide them the correct pathway and opportunity not just the McGimp special of 'he needs to work on certain aspects of his game'.

possm

Coach
I've always said that Millward needed to be sent packing at the same time as Mary. It was always a Millward MESS. We replaced a professional recruitment manager with a political appointee and so, now it is time to replace Millward with a professional recruitment manager. I'm sure Haran and Griffin will do this by the end of 2021 when most ineffective players will also get their marching orders.

2021 will be a season for developing our backline and climb to the top 8 of the ladder.

2022 will see the Dragons develop a strong pack of forwards and climb to the top 4 of the ladder.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
I've always said that Millward needed to be sent packing at the same time as Mary. It was always a Millward MESS. We replaced a professional recruitment manager with a political appointee and so, now it is time to replace Millward with a professional recruitment manager. I'm sure Haran and Griffin will do this by the end of 2021 when most ineffective players will also get their marching orders.

2021 will be a season for developing our backline and clime to the top 8 of the ladder.

2022 will see the Dragons develop a strong pack of forwards and clime to the top 4 of the ladder.

Back to your old self possm....must have been a Good Christmas....

FlameThrower

Bench
It would not be the end of the world if we lost the lot.
There is a couple that may be a back up. McInnes is a good player but i would not pay overs for him. Vaughan needs to pick up his form and get consistant.
And who do you suggest to replace those 11 players....it’s not as if we have players wanting to break contracts to come over to the Dragons.....

possm

Coach
And who do you suggest to replace those 11 players....it’s not as if we have players wanting to break contracts to come over to the Dragons.....
I think it is too early to judge many of these players. 2021 will be a season for testing who we want to keep and who we want to replace. Over the off-season Griffin will get a good idea of who he believes need to step up further and hopefully he will be able to get them to do that.

Priority signings and options in favour of the Club should be for our promising juniors, even if it means stacking our Canterbury Cup team with them. Where there is a hole, e.g. in our forward pack, we should be planning now and signing soon suitable replacements for 2022.

We have an exciting backline talent who now only need NRL experience. They will provide Saints with urge to jump to their feet in anticipation when receiving the ball. Saints will entertain again!

Some deadwood has moved on and the second phase of this process will happen by the end of 2021. Saints need to be very careful on their next lot of forward pack signings.