What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-contract players 2021

Kylez3

Juniors
Does Merrin even play for us?

Talk about having little effect.

Merrin went from being the starting lock for NSW, to not being able to make the starting 17 for a struggling NRL club with one of the weakest packs in the comp. Completely stunk it up for Leeds in the Super League too.

He doesn't even care about his legacy either, the lazy prick. Perfectly happy just picking up a pay cheque and being the comedian/jokester of the team.

What an absolutely diabolical signing. We released Luciano to sign this slob...

Last edited:

Dragons4me

Juniors
A different set of eyes to the past is now looking over the whole squad. For the first time in a long time I'm actually excited for next year and have renewed my Kogarah seats. There will be losses no doubt but looking forward to the inevitable surprises that will bring hope for the future. :grinning::grinning:

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah Kylez3 I reckon JP was one of our better players in 2020 - made yards and gave one hundred per cent - got a wrap on that bloke
I agree wholeheartedly.
It is just he is tradesman like without any X-factor. We need more than that from our backs.
Remember the old BMoz...he was electric to watch. How we let him go (yes money and chance to win a comp I know) will remain one of life's mysteries to me. I would of signed him for life.

blacksafake

First Grade
I agree wholeheartedly.
It is just he is tradesman like without any X-factor. We need more than that from our backs.
Remember the old BMoz...he was electric to watch. How we let him go (yes money and chance to win a comp I know) will remain one of life's mysteries to me. I would of signed him for life.
Brett is still one of, if not the best winger going around.

Walpole

Juniors
I agree wholeheartedly.
I get the impression it's hard to keep blokes who don't want to play for you.

BLM01

First Grade
I get the impression it's hard to keep blokes who don't want to play for you.
Well he did want to play for us .. at 2 different stages of his career.
What and why did that change is the question.
You don’t see the better clubs losing their fan favs or their best player.
Our BOD / CEO should be ashamed on how they have run it between 2011-2919.
We all know if members could vote none if them would be around today to bask in any future success.

Crush

Coach
Merrin went from being the starting lock for NSW, to not being able to make the starting 17 for a struggling NRL club with one of the weakest packs in the comp. Completely stunk it up for Leeds in the Super League too.

He doesn't even care about his legacy either, the lazy prick. Perfectly happy just picking up a pay cheque and being the comedian/jokester of the team.

Not a fan? Lol

I reckon he will have a big year under Hook.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Willing to bet $100 that he doesn't.

Bloke is turning 32 next year and has been rubbish for about 5 years now.

IMO, Merrin will captain the CC with an occasional game in 1st grade if injurirs or suspensions hit.
A lot of people have him at lock, my belief is we are close to signing a utility that can play lock and wait for the DeBelin outcome.

Kylez3

Juniors
IMO, Merrin will captain the CC with an occasional game in 1st grade if injurirs or suspensions hit.
A lot of people have him at lock, my belief is we are close to signing a utility that can play lock and wait for the DeBelin outcome.

Yeah I agree. This is also evidenced by the fact they tried to sign John Asiata and have been recently linked to Billy M.

Maddragon99

Juniors
As of now we have 11 players coming off-contract in 2021.
I haven't included DeBelin and note that Vaughan has a player option for 2022, which as far as I know he hasn't taken up as yet.

Blacker
Brittain
Dufty
Ellis
Fuimaono
McInnes
Merrin
Norman
Periera
Vaughan
Williame

So, from this list, who would you re-sign as of now?
Remember letting players go means also replacing them within the squad.

-Vaughan has an option in his favour for 2022
-Dufty, maybe? He’ll need to have his best ever year to retain his spot in 2021 there are some outstanding fullbacks in the system who can take the high ball & can tackle. Ramsey, Sloan & James Schiller
-Norman obviously NO
-McInnes as discussed on here at length looking less likely to accommodate Hunt.
-Ellis dependant on performance probably yes
-Merrin No retirement
-Blacker Yes he’s a future starting Prop
-Williame No will be released/unsigned
-Brittian Yes unless otherwise replaced from within
-Fuimaono No will be released/unsigned
-Pierera No will be released/unsigned

should free up well over a $1M in cap space.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors

It’s Merrin’s final year before retirement, I’m optimistic he’ll have a crack. A good 6-8 week burst from round one would be awesome to give Bird time to make a full comeback & perhaps get JdB back.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Signing people depends on
1) are they good enough to fulfil a role
2) are they value for money
3) do we have better options coming thru? Or is there a better signing to replace them?
4) attitude- do they want to be at the club? Are they positive team players?

take JP as an example. (A player I really like having at the club)
1) he is a solid player but not a star
2) I don’t know salaries, so this is always hard, but I understand JP is a value player
3) we have a bunch of younger players coming thru meaning a lot of competition. Yeah I’m As these guys develop that will become even more so. Also players like rav4
4) top,quality

so I used JP as an example. I want to keep him, and I think he is needed until the younger guys come thru... however he probably needs to show a bit more this season so as to not be viewed as a road block to the young guys. Still, is a good backup I’d like to keep.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Signing people depends on
1) are they good enough to fulfil a role
2) are they value for money
3) do we have better options coming thru? Or is there a better signing to replace them?
4) attitude- do they want to be at the club? Are they positive team players?

take JP as an example. (A player I really like having at the club)
1) he is a solid player but not a star
2) I don’t know salaries, so this is always hard, but I understand JP is a value player
3) we have a bunch of younger players coming thru meaning a lot of competition. Yeah I’m As these guys develop that will become even more so. Also players like rav4
4) top,quality

so I used JP as an example. I want to keep him, and I think he is needed until the younger guys come thru... however he probably needs to show a bit more this season so as to not be viewed as a road block to the young guys. Still, is a good backup I’d like to keep.
It’s funny as fans we see the same things on the field but have wildly different opinions. JP is one of the first I’d be cutting next year. He lead the team in average running meters 169m & tackle busts 77 but managed only 1 try. Clearly not good enough for a first grade winger.

SnowDragon

Juniors
It’s funny as fans we see the same things on the field but have wildly different opinions. JP is one of the first I’d be cutting next year. He lead the team in average running meters 169m & tackle busts 77 but managed only 1 try. Clearly not good enough for a first grade winger.

Fair point. However he made good meters,and rarely got put out the side... maybe in part due to playing too safe at times and running back infield. Also worth looking at his centre and how they set him up ;)

still, even though I really like him, he has to perform with the young guys coming thru. Let’s see how he performs this year. (Only a few guys like Normon should already have decisions made on them at this stage)

Maddragon99

Juniors
Fair point. However he made good meters,and rarely got put out the side... maybe in part due to playing too safe at times and running back infield. Also worth looking at his centre and how they set him up ;)

still, even though I really like him, he has to perform with the young guys coming thru. Let’s see how he performs this year. (Only a few guys like Normon should already have decisions made on them at this stage)
For sure Aitken was incapable of passing to his winger. But of the wingers on the roster I have him 4th. 1) Ramsey 2) Ravalawa 3) Matt Feagai 4) JP

Perhaps there’s a role off the bench for JP but as a winger I don’t think he gets extended.