What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 2021 semi realistic sides

It's a tough call, I like Hunt at 9 too but then I remember the first half of 2018 when the Hunt / Widdop combo were the form halves in the comp with Wids controlling the game and Hunt creating off the back of that ( and a strong pack giving him space ). We were unbeatable for a while there.
When I think of early 2018, I remember a team who physically peaked at the start of the year with a very simple game plan.

Mary was desperate for early success.

As the season went on, other teams got familiar with complex plays, got fitter and started firing while we became exhausted and predictable.

We were like the runner who went out too fast and got passed easily by the serious contenders at the key moment. Yes we led, but no we were were never the best team.

blacksafake

First Grade
I've spent part of my holidays at home watching some Dragons late season 2020 games and a few take-aways were ;
1. Ellis is very ordinary, not a bad defender but not much chop at making metres or ball playing and has a low work rate. He was very poor in our last game against a 2nd string Storm side. I can't find a spot for him in the 17 without massive improvement. We have better options.
2. Max Feagai is a very capable defender who I'd like to see in the 17 at centre if Bird plays lock or on the bench as utility back otherwise. Great tackling technique and good positionally.
3. Kerr is good enough to start at prop next to Vaughan, probably our best option for starting with good momentum with Alvaro and Faamausili on the bench - I'm expecting a big year from Josh.
4. Clune could play 5/8 and do pretty much what Widdop did for us - he plays those sweeping raids left or right exactly as Wids did and links well with our outside backs - he get's the importance of early ball out wide, among other things. Him at 6 and given more responsibility for organizing the side with Hunt at 7 with more freedom to play what he sees, worth a try. Clune and Dufty could tear teams apart given some good coaching.
5. Vaughan or someone needs to fill JDB's shoes as a ball playing forward and 1st receiver in the middle passing wide to the halves or short to his pack mates - like JDB did so well in 2018. This is something we lack badly.
6. Fuimaono is worth persisting with, he's an excellent, hard hitting defender, a handful for the opposition and he's only 24 with the potential to be a very good backrow partner for Tariq. I like Ford a lot but he needs to improve and learn to pass as well.
7. Sullivan has a bright future but will need constant protection in defence - same as Sowie back in the day - just need tight reliable defence around him a la Beau Scott, J.Smith and Costigan, run at Sullivan and you're going to get hit needs to be the message. In our last game against the Storm the opposition just kept running at him and making big metres every time, no-one stood up for him, can't let that happen ( of course that was partly Bellamy vs Young and our usual poor defensive structures ). I should add that Sullivan tried his best and was very brave on occasion in defence.
8. Losing Frizell, Host and Aitken is tough but also an opportunity for others to step up and I actually think that we can do better for 2 of those 3 with Frizell being the only real loss. We have no-one to replace him yet but I'm hoping that is our main target recruitment wise.
9. I hope we never see D.Young anywhere near our team again.
10. We have the players to make the 8 provided Hook settles on our best team asap and backs them for the whole season without much tinkering. Part of a necessary cultural change at the Dragons is to build confidence by backing our top 17 - 21 players all year, all the way. Players like Hunt and Dufty for example need that show of faith and they'll pay it back in spades.
Good summation kit66.
Point 4 is interesting & I’m happy to give it a shot. Never saw Clune as a 6 but being a bit wider with his passing & kicking game could actually work. Depending of course on the forwards providing go forward.

kit66

Bench
When I think of early 2018, I remember a team who physically peaked at the start of the year with a very simple game plan.

Mary was desperate for early success.

As the season went on, other teams got familiar with complex plays, got fitter and started firing while we became exhausted and predictable.

We were like the runner who went out too fast and got passed easily by the serious contenders at the key moment. Yes we led, but no we were were never the best team.

Yourself and redVinme make some valid points about 2018, I can't argue there and I'll throw in Mary not using the bench well enough to support our forwards as well as the bench itself ( and our depth ) being an issue apart from Ah Mau. There were many issues that brought us undone but we were top of the table until Round 13 or 14 I think so we were doing some things right and a better coaching team managing the forwards properly and a more adaptable coach could have seen us fare much better. Our Spine for the most part did it's job.
If I remember correctly one of the opposition coaches who picked us apart in 2018 was none other than Anthony Griffin.
Whatever we do this year it will all rest as always on our spine and what Hook does with that and I don't envy him the task.

BLM01

First Grade
Yourself and redVinme make some valid points about 2018, I can't argue there and I'll throw in Mary not using the bench well enough to support our forwards as well as the bench itself ( and our depth ) being an issue apart from Ah Mau. There were many issues that brought us undone but we were top of the table until Round 13 or 14 I think so we were doing some things right and a better coaching team managing the forwards properly and a more adaptable coach could have seen us fare much better. Our Spine for the most part did it's job.
If I remember correctly one of the opposition coaches who picked us apart in 2018 was none other than Anthony Griffin.
Whatever we do this year it will all rest as always on our spine and what Hook does with that and I don't envy him the task.
The other thing the coach did not pick up on or glossed over from that early 18 winning run was that there was some kinks and issues with our defence which he failed to address as you said teams weren’t firing or clunky and could of easily put more points on us.
And we had a dream run with no injuries and luck.
A win is the best you can do but those issues in defence bit us at the back half of the year as teams got fitter and started to gel. We became weaker But all Mary remembered was that we were leading the comp and if the game went for 77 minutes we would of been playing in a GF qualifier... that was good enough moving forward.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’ve picked who I think will start this is who I would like to play pending injuries and suspensions. (Waiting for the cricket kickoff :joy:) We are short backrowers, this side is with a view to developing Ramsey and Sullivan slowly without killing their confidence.
1.Dufty
2.Ramsey
3.Lomax
4.Feagai
5.Feagai
6.Norman (Only for his size, monitor Sullivan in CC if he kills it and handles the physicality and one of Hunt or Norman fails he replaces them)
7.Hunt
8. Vaughan
9.McInnes
10.Alvaro
11.Ford
12.Sims
13.Lawrie
14. Bird
15.Kerr
16.Faumausili
17.Fuimaono

I’ve picked who I think will start this is who I would like to play pending injuries and suspensions. (Waiting for the cricket kickoff :joy:) We are short backrowers, this side is with a view to developing Ramsey and Sullivan slowly without killing their confidence.
1.Dufty
2.Ramsey
3.Lomax
4.Feagai
5.Feagai
6.Norman (Only for his size, monitor Sullivan in CC if he kills it and handles the physicality and one of Hunt or Norman fails he replaces them)
7.Hunt
8. Vaughan
9.McInnes
10.Alvaro
11.Ford
12.Sims
13.Lawrie
14. Bird
15.Kerr
16.Faumausili
17.Fuimaono
Norman has size?

Opposition teams would be licking their lips looking at our backs. Little experience and no big bodies. Kick to the corner and destroy!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Norman has size?

Opposition teams would be licking their lips looking at our backs. Little experience and no big bodies. Kick to the corner and destroy!
More size than Clune or Sullivan that’s for sure. I have serious doubts about a Hunt/Clune partnership defensively. Sullivan looks great but is still very skinny I would like to see him in CC to build his confidence. Norman might not be huge but he’s not small and not a terrible defender. I would be giving a month or two while looking at Clune/Sullivan in CC. I hope Sowards kicking sessions help our halves and hope that with a bit more speed and skill in our centres will help our halves a touch. I don’t love Norman and wouldn’t resign him but I just think he’s our best option to start with.

getsmarty

Immortal
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/corey-norman-turnstile.437395/page-9

Corey Norman, St. George Illawarra Dragons
Much like Moylan, Norman enters the final year of a rich contract with the Dragons and will need to come on leaps and bounds from what he produced in 2020 to justify another contract either with the Red V or elsewhere.

The maligned five-eighth, who last year earned an Origin call-up with Queensland, had one of the worst seasons of his first-grade career in 2020. He notched up just six try assists for the year - only his second year in the NRL where he played just eight games for the Broncos was worse.

Pressure will centre on many of the Dragons' senior players, such as Norman's halves partner Ben Hunt, but the crafty number six will be out to prove he deserves to be recognised among the best playmakers in the NRL, as his pay packet would suggest.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-prove-next-season/1uthg9iytlixx15to8pn3yl6rg

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/corey-norman-turnstile.437395/page-9

Corey Norman, St. George Illawarra Dragons
Much like Moylan, Norman enters the final year of a rich contract with the Dragons and will need to come on leaps and bounds from what he produced in 2020 to justify another contract either with the Red V or elsewhere.

The maligned five-eighth, who last year earned an Origin call-up with Queensland, had one of the worst seasons of his first-grade career in 2020. He notched up just six try assists for the year - only his second year in the NRL where he played just eight games for the Broncos was worse.

Pressure will centre on many of the Dragons' senior players, such as Norman's halves partner Ben Hunt, but the crafty number six will be out to prove he deserves to be recognised among the best playmakers in the NRL, as his pay packet would suggest.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-prove-next-season/1uthg9iytlixx15to8pn3yl6rg
As I said I don’t love him, but his tackle efficiently is 85% to 80% to Clune and he’s 96 kg 185cm that’s not small for a 5/8. I weighed up a few factors including using Bird who would probably better but I don’t want to block the pathway of Sullivan long term. Would prefer to use Bird as a ball playing lock off the bench for now. I do think his try assists will increase not having Aitken outside him or at very least he will assist Feagai in assisting his outside man.

getsmarty

Immortal
As I said I don’t love him, but his tackle efficiently is 85% to 80% to Clune and he’s 96 kg 185cm that’s not small for a 5/8. I weighed up a few factors including using Bird who would probably better but I don’t want to block the pathway of Sullivan long term. Would prefer to use Bird as a ball playing lock off the bench for now. I do think his try assists will increase not having Aitken outside him or at very least he will assist Feagai in assisting his outside man.

Don't disagree with your stats...Can I ask you this question...if he has a pearler this year, what do we do ?...I don't want him after his contract expires regardless as we have other talented youngsters coming through the ranks. We need to create a pathway for Sullivan and some of the others.

Have a good day @Forbes Creek Dragons

More size than Clune or Sullivan that’s for sure. I have serious doubts about a Hunt/Clune partnership defensively. Sullivan looks great but is still very skinny I would like to see him in CC to build his confidence. Norman might not be huge but he’s not small and not a terrible defender. I would be giving a month or two while looking at Clune/Sullivan in CC. I hope Sowards kicking sessions help our halves and hope that with a bit more speed and skill in our centres will help our halves a touch. I don’t love Norman and wouldn’t resign him but I just think he’s our best option to start with.
Norman's profile says 91kg. That is same as Mcinnes! I would have guessed more like 85kg the way he looks and plays.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Don't disagree with your stats...Can I ask you this question...if he has a pearler this year, what do we do ?...I don't want him after his contract expires regardless as we have other talented youngsters coming through the ranks. We need to create a pathway for Sullivan and some of the others.

Have a good day @Forbes Creek Dragons
I wouldn’t re-sign him short of winning the GF. I anticipate that throughout the season Sullivan will get an opportunity and grab it. I predict Norman will start on fire but as usual fade away. I would take advantage of this and try to rack up some wins before hopefully transitioning to Sullivan/Clune later in the year. 5/8 was my hardest position and it hurt picking Norman but I think when I really think with my head and take any emotion out of it, he is our best option to start imo. If someone else gets picked I will be stoked and get behind them because I have faith that Hook won’t pick players who aren’t ready, and he should be able to gauge pretty well through offseason/trials.

possm

Coach
It's a tough call, I like Hunt at 9 too but then I remember the first half of 2018 when the Hunt / Widdop combo were the form halves in the comp with Wids controlling the game and Hunt creating off the back of that ( and a strong pack giving him space ). We were unbeatable for a while there.
We had fit strong forwards dominating under the power game plan. While they we fit and well, Hunt and Widdop could play their fiddle to a very fine tune. But once the fatigue set in, it was a completely different matter.

Hunt and Widdop or Hunt and Norman cannot play well behind a beaten pack. So Griffin needs to greatly improve the performance of his forward pack before he can hope for some razzle dazzle from his halves.

kit66

Bench
Norman has size?

Lomax, the Feagai's, Bird, and Rava ( or Periera ) aren't small and I've heard Ramsey is beefing up substantially and given the way Rava and Max Feagai hit in defence I wouldn't be as confident an opposition as you suggest. Lomax too is a very good defender. Sure we lack experience out there but people tend to learn fast at that level or get replaced. There's also the prospect that our defensive structure will improve markedly under Griffin. If you're mainly concerned with Norman's abilities then yeah, I'm with you on that score, he's our biggest issue right now.

BLM01

First Grade
We had fit strong forwards dominating under the power game plan. While they we fit and well, Hunt and Widdop could play their fiddle to a very fine tune. But once the fatigue set in, it was a completely different matter.

Hunt and Widdop or Hunt and Norman cannot play well behind a beaten pack. So Griffin needs to greatly improve the performance of his forward pack before he can hope for some razzle dazzle from his halves.
Not to many if any halves pairing can play well behind a beaten pack.

BIG RIG

Juniors
My semi realistic team for Round 1

1.Matt Dufty
2.Cody Ramsey
3.Zac Lomax
4.Mikaele Ravalawa
5.Jordan Periera
6.Corey Norman
7.Ben Hunt
8.Josh Kerr
9.Cameron McInnes ( C )
10.Paul Vaughan
11.Jackson Ford
12.Tariq Sims
13.Trent Merrin
BENCH
14.Jack Bird
15.Blake Lawrie
16.Daniel Alvaro
17.Poasa Fa’amusili
RESERVES
18.Jayden Sullivan
19.Kaide Ellis
20.Eddie Blacker
21.Max Feagai

SnowDragon

Juniors
My semi realistic team for Round 1

1.Matt Dufty
2.Cody Ramsey
3.Zac Lomax
4.Mikaele Ravalawa
5.Jordan Periera
6.Corey Norman
7.Ben Hunt
8.Josh Kerr
9.Cameron McInnes ( C )
10.Paul Vaughan
11.Jackson Ford
12.Tariq Sims
13.Trent Merrin
BENCH
14.Jack Bird
15.Blake Lawrie
16.Daniel Alvaro
17.Poasa Fa’amusili
RESERVES
18.Jayden Sullivan
19.Kaide Ellis
20.Eddie Blacker
21.Max Feagai

understand your thoughts, but from what I’ve seen, we would be crazy to move rav4 to the centre at the expense of max Fegai.

Also, with SEE, williame, Fegai bros. Even bird... so many centre options atm, I’m opposed to transferring rav4 now, even if 12months ago I was hoping they would investigate the option.

getsmarty

Immortal
ramseyc-try_rc1_2522.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons Stat to Fix: Turning leads into wins
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 8 Jan 2021, 08:00 AM
Share on social media
In 12 of 20 rounds last season, St George Illawarra either led or were tied when the half-time whistle blew.

But they won just five of those matches, effectively costing themselves a finals berth as they fell six points short of the top eight.

Whether it was their mindset, not being able to execute under fatigue, the pressure of close games or any number of other reasons, the Dragons generally struggled in the second stanza of matches.

It could be argued that constant changes in key positions - star playmaker Ben Hunt spent more time at hooker than halfback, bumping Cam McInnes to lock and leaving rookie Adam Clune and Corey Norman in the halves - impacted their game-management.

Whatever the cause, St George Illawarra will have rued letting so many chances slip. They won five of nine games after leading at half-time and lost all three games when they headed into the sheds level.

stat-to-fix-dragons_20210103.jpg

The heat was on the Dragons from the get-go, but they weren't far away from a flying start having surrendered a 12-8 half-time lead against Wests Tigers in round one (lost 24-14) before doing the same versus Penrith the following week (led 16-12, lost 32-28).

The Red V also blew half-time advantages against the Titans in round 16 (led 2-0, lost 14-10) and Cowboys in round 17 (led 12-6, lost 23-22).

Under Paul McGregor's coaching, St George Illawarra kept pace with heavyweights Sydney Roosters (10-10 at half-time in rounds 7 and 13) and South Sydney Rabbitohs (16-16 in round 12) but failed to kick on.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/08/dragons-stat-to-fix-turning-leads-into-wins/

BLM01

First Grade
ramseyc-try_rc1_2522.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons Stat to Fix: Turning leads into wins
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 8 Jan 2021, 08:00 AM
Share on social media
In 12 of 20 rounds last season, St George Illawarra either led or were tied when the half-time whistle blew.

But they won just five of those matches, effectively costing themselves a finals berth as they fell six points short of the top eight.

Whether it was their mindset, not being able to execute under fatigue, the pressure of close games or any number of other reasons, the Dragons generally struggled in the second stanza of matches.

It could be argued that constant changes in key positions - star playmaker Ben Hunt spent more time at hooker than halfback, bumping Cam McInnes to lock and leaving rookie Adam Clune and Corey Norman in the halves - impacted their game-management.

Whatever the cause, St George Illawarra will have rued letting so many chances slip. They won five of nine games after leading at half-time and lost all three games when they headed into the sheds level.

stat-to-fix-dragons_20210103.jpg

The heat was on the Dragons from the get-go, but they weren't far away from a flying start having surrendered a 12-8 half-time lead against Wests Tigers in round one (lost 24-14) before doing the same versus Penrith the following week (led 16-12, lost 32-28).

The Red V also blew half-time advantages against the Titans in round 16 (led 2-0, lost 14-10) and Cowboys in round 17 (led 12-6, lost 23-22).

Under Paul McGregor's coaching, St George Illawarra kept pace with heavyweights Sydney Roosters (10-10 at half-time in rounds 7 and 13) and South Sydney Rabbitohs (16-16 in round 12) but failed to kick on.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/08/dragons-stat-to-fix-turning-leads-into-wins/
LOL..These are all typified McDumbFounded coaching stats

Latest posts