What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Gareth67

First Grade
His surname and being at Cronulla was a good yarn for the commentators
He looked OK and bog average on the field but that was all!
if Penrith is at full strength who would he displace from their side in the backrow. Even Capewell starts on the bench if his lucky.

Exactly , they were last year’s Grand Finalists . I know that there are always losers in a Grand Final and only occasionally they will hit the same heights the following year, however in the Panthers case they have unfinished business and depending upon just how badly this ‘ virus ‘ affects this season matches , are good things to go one better .

I really don’t know what Cleary sees in him considering his forward stocks are so good , still he knows his trade better than I so perhaps he may be able to get the best from him .

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Exactly , they were this year’s Grand Finalists . I know that there are always losers in a Grand Final and only occasionally they will hit the same heights the following year, however in the Panthers case they have unfinished business and depending upon just how badly this ‘ virus ‘ affects this season matches , are good things to go one better .

I really don’t know what Cleary sees in him considering his forward stocks are so good , still he knows his trade better than I so perhaps he may be able to get the best from him .
My honest opinion is Penrith's window was last year. They wil be thereabouts but I dont believe they will be stronger.
I dont think they play in the GF.
They had a pretty good dream run injury wise in 2020.
Similar to Canberra how they dropped down a bit last year.

Maddragon99

Juniors
My honest opinion is Penrith's window was last year. They wil be thereabouts but I dont believe they will be stronger.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Hey BLM! I’m about to 100% agree with you!

I have Penrith mid/bottom of the 8 next year. The loss of Barrett as attacking coach is massive.

Compare to us in ‘09 we came back in 2010 with the same team same coaching staff plus Gasnier. Penrith have lost Tamou, Hetherington & let go Mansour who was their No.1 meter eater.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Penrith will go well as they have great talent. Their spine is top notch and have good forwards to back it up. Crichton is a gun in the backs.

2021 will be filled with some surprises and harder to predict a top 8 than other years I feel as the bottom 8 have strengthened and top 8 are not changing too much in key areas.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I think Penrith will go well as they have great talent. Their spine is top notch and have good forwards to back it up. Crichton is a gun in the backs.

2021 will be filled with some surprises and harder to predict a top 8 than other years I feel as the bottom 8 have strengthened and top 8 are not changing too much in key areas.
They’ve lost an important piece of their coaching staff & 3 props, Tamou in particular is a big loss.

Remember for us to move up the ladder we require other teams to drop down the ladder.

kit66

Bench

The only changes to their line up will probably be Eisenhuth into the pack for Tamou so not much disruption. They'd be hungry as after losing a gf by a couple of penalty goals, that'd be eating at them all year and surely Cleary can do better if they make it that far again, surely. If they can get over the flogging they're gonna get in round 22 that is.

Gareth67

First Grade
The only changes to their line up will probably be Eisenhuth into the pack for Tamou so not much disruption. They'd be hungry as after losing a gf by a couple of penalty goals, that'd be eating at them all year and surely Cleary can do better if they make it that far again, surely. If they can get over the flogging they're gonna get in round 22 that is.

Besides the fact that Melbourne were/have always been a very well drilled side , I really believe that the occasion got the better of the Panthers in the big one last season .

Sure the score line was not a true reflection of just how dominant the purple people cheaters were , as Penrith only closed the gap due to the sin bining of one of the Storm players in the latter stages of the match .

However what really struck me about their side was that they oozed confidence in most of their matches and done extraordinarily well against the heavyweights of the competition in the end of season matches .

Still the season has yet to begin and a lot can happen - a teams draw , injuries, SOO , injuries and of course this hideous virus that just wont go away .

Hopefully the Dragons will be able to get moving on the ladder in the right direction , but I truly believe that we will lose more than we win in 2021 . However in saying that if Griffin and his 2 amigos can instill teamwork and ‘that will to win’ in their young side then that will certainly stand the team in good stead for what I believe will be a stand out season in 2022 .

possm

Coach
They’ve lost an important piece of their coaching staff & 3 props, Tamou in particular is a big loss.

Remember for us to move up the ladder we require other teams to drop down the ladder.
Not so, we just need to defeat them, for there is one thing I am certain of; if we defeat all other theams in the competition we will be on top of the ladder.

BLM01

First Grade
Yeh after many years I see it a bit different.

Media use the "hungry" line all the time, especially straight after the emotion of a loss. No doubt they are but also the mental scars are also hard to get over for some.
The positive thinking and mental healing stuff.
Ivan has been there before and failed.
The only team I have seen it work for in recent memory is Melb and that just typifies Bellamy losing a GF Nearly every time he has lost in the GF the next year they come out and it seems they win it.
Maybe Manly with Dessie in 07/08 was probably another but not too many, then a few teams in the 90's.
The fact was Penrith had lost last years GF at half time and the game was flat. Only luck and some ref intervention, maybe complacency got Penrith back into that game.
I am sure Penrith will be out to prove me wrong. :)
They are so hard to get too.

kit66

Bench
Yeh after many years I see it a bit different.

Media use the "hungry" line all the time, especially straight after the emotion of a loss. No doubt they are but also the mental scars are also hard to get over for some.
The positive thinking and mental healing stuff.
Ivan has been there before and failed.
The only team I have seen it work for in recent memory is Melb and that just typifies Bellamy losing a GF Nearly every time he has lost in the GF the next year they come out and it seems they win it.
Maybe Manly with Dessie in 07/08 was probably another but not too many, then a few teams in the 90's.
The fact was Penrith had lost last years GF at half time and the game was flat. Only luck and some ref intervention, maybe complacency got Penrith back into that game.
I am sure Penrith will be out to prove me wrong. :)
They are so hard to get too.

Losing Tamou and Tetavano ( I forgot they lost him ) will hurt and if they have a run injuries they'll suffer. They've lost Mansour now too and is Naden out for a while ? Not sure. Their wins over top 8 sides last year were mostly close affairs so you could be right if they fail to again win those close matches. I didn't see many of their games last year but of those I saw I thought Cleary wasn't playing his best, he'll need to be at the top of his game this season for them to make top 4. Him and Luai both. I have them in the top 3 with Souths and Storm.

redv13

Bench
Losing Tamou and Tetavano ( I forgot they lost him ) will hurt and if they have a run injuries they'll suffer. They've lost Mansour now too and is Naden out for a while ? Not sure. Their wins over top 8 sides last year were mostly close affairs so you could be right if they fail to again win those close matches. I didn't see many of their games last year but of those I saw I thought Cleary wasn't playing his best, he'll need to be at the top of his game this season for them to make top 4. Him and Luai both. I have them in the top 3 with Souths and Storm.
Naden won’t miss a game... bloody disgrace of a decision

getsmarty

Immortal
January 14 2021 - 1:16PM
Lomax not looking back on breakout season
Dragons Den
r0_0_4182_2797_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PUMPED: Zac Lomax says he'll need to find another gear in 2021. Picture: NRL Imagery

HE was the star in an otherwise forgettable campaign for the Dragons last season, but Zac Lomax says he'll need to find another level heading into his third full year in the NRL.

The 21-year-old spent last preseason getting the running in his legs to play fullback, having been anointed first choice No. 1 by then coach Paul McGregor.

The experiment ultimately lasted just one game, with a shift to the wing in round two before returning from the league's COVID-enforced hiatus at right centre.

He made the position his own from there, grabbing 13 tries and forcing his way into Brad Fittler's NSW squad for the end-of-season Origin series. It's a solid platform to launch 2021 from, but the Temora product insists he won't be resting on it.

"I think the really good players always go back and find things to work on," Lomax said.

"I'm not going to go out there and base my game on what I did last year, I just want to take each game as it comes. I'm looking to better my game as much as possible.

"I want to instil a lot more confidence in the players beside me so it's about having consistency from my good games to a bad game. You look at the best players in the NRL are consistently playing around that eight out of 10 mark.

"That's where I want to to be, I want to be that player that's not going to let my teammates down and they know, consistently, what they're going to get from me. If I can consistently have an eight out of 10 game, I'll feel I'm moving in the right direction."

The mentality is the product of time under Fittler in Blues camp that proved a crash course in professionalism.

"It was an unreal experience, certainly one I didn't take for granted," Lomax said.

"I was around the best players in the game so I just went in there, took my notepad, and tried to understand every different player, their rituals and their habits. I took so much out of it.

"Confidence is a big thing you can take out of it but just prepping for a game and how to be a full-time professional away from footy as well. There's so many players on that team that typify being a professional footballer.

"I definitely took a leaf out of every book. Fingers crossed I can stay there but, most importantly, I want to play consistent footy here for the Dragons and put the team here in the red v in a better position that last year."

As for what position he'll play, a breakout season and invitation into Blues camp leaves Lomax one of just a handful of players in the Dragons squad that is a selection lock in his preferred spot.

Whether he spends the entire season there remains to be seen, with Lomax yet to have conversation with new coach Anthony Griffin.

"I just like to see myself as just a footy player and play wherever's best for my team," Lomax said.

"That's what I've always been open to doing so wherever Hook wants me I'm happy to play. I definitely did feel comfortable there at centre towards the back end of the season. I feel like we were building a good combination there on the right edge.

"Mika [Ravalawa] is unreal to play with, he's got such a powerful carry and he's one of the best finishers in the game in my opinion. It was just good to get some combinations there and hopefully we're building something special on that edge."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7086039/lomax-not-looking-back-on-breakout-season/?cs=3713

mickeylane

Bench
No chance Penrith will win the comp they lost last year and quite easily as well - they actually reminded me of The dragons 2009 team last year - nearly got there but nailed it year after . Their halves are skilled like crazy and in Crichton they have another superstar in The centres along w their gun back row - I think they’re specials for 2021 daylight second.

BLM01

First Grade
T
No chance Penrith will win the comp they lost last year and quite easily as well - they actually reminded me of The dragons 2009 team last year - nearly got there but nailed it year after . Their halves are skilled like crazy and in Crichton they have another superstar in The centres along w their gun back row - I think they’re specials for 2021 daylight second.
the Dragons in 2009 went out in straight sets in the finals probably after complacency in the 1st game against Parra
Different scars to overcome
Penrith do have a good back row but Kikau is overrated to the hype he gets and plays when he feels like it

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors

That’s a roundabout way to contradict yourself.. no chance to win but they’re specials in 21? :sweat_smile:

George Dragon

Juniors
Dragons look to sign Brisbane Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough
St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin is looking to bring a Brisbane Broncos veteran and familiar face to the Dragons.

Trav

St George Illawarra has launched a bold bid to poach Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough as former Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin looks to bring a familiar face to the Dragons.

The Dragons have shown interest in securing McCullough immediately on a multi-year deal ahead of the 2021 NRL season.

Griffin and McCullough have a longstanding relationship from the Broncos which dates back to the inaugural year of the defunct National Youth Competition in 2008.

Griffin took over as head coach of the Broncos NRL team in 2011 and coached McCullough for a further four seasons before he was replaced by Wayne Bennett.

McCullough, 30, has made a somewhat strange return to Red Hill this year under new coach Kevin Walters.

He was released by former coach Anthony Seibold from his 2020 contract to join Newcastle but only managed eight games for the Knights before suffering a serious hamstring injury.

McCullough still had a contract at the Broncos for the 2021 season and Newcastle was not willing to offer him an extension, prompting him to return to Brisbane.

Walters has already farewelled Jack Bird and Joe Ofahengaue and the Broncos have been open to releasing McCullough, with the Dragons showing recent interest.

However the terms of the release could be a decisive factor in whether he wears the Red V this year.

The Dragons are understood to want the Broncos to subsidise a portion of McCullough’s contract for the remainder of the year.

The Broncos are unlikely to agree to that and have already paid his salary since the 2021 contracts started in November.

A 268-game NRL veteran, McCullough is vying for Brisbane’s No. 9 jersey with emerging hooker Jake Turpin.

The Broncos also have young gun Cory Paix in their dummy-half ranks and are well served in the crucial position.

The Dragons have an experienced hooker in McInnes, however he is versatile and spent time at lock last season.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/8cf422f753124d62f31aba11a53ef1d4