What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
The Eels have been one of the more consistent teams in the NRL over the last two seasons, but their tendency to fade during the championship rounds is a worrying trend.
Parramatta have finished fifth and third the last two years, but they have saved some of their worst form for the pointy end of the season.

The big issue for the Eels is how to plug their notoriously weak defence on Waqa Blake’s side of the field.

The loss of Michael Jennings as he fights to clear his name over the alleged use of performance enhancing drugs is a massive blow to the Eels’ attack and defence.

Jennings was not only their best attacking threat over the last couple of seasons, but his defence helped make up for the deficiencies of Blake on the other side of the field.

Arthur needs to get the best out of his new centre pairing of Blake and Oldfield or it could be a long year for the Eels’ faithful.

The Eels have been quite active in the player market though it remains to be seen if the pieces they have added can take them to the next level.

Isaiah Papali’i from the Warriors and Keegan Hipgrave from the Titans should improve their bench rotation although the jury is out on new signing Bryce Cartwright, who left the Titans last season.

Tom Opacic from the Cowboys and Oldfield will fight it out to partner Blake in the centres and Joey Lussick as well as Nathaniel Roache provide good back-up for Reed Mahoney.

Of the players the Eels let go Stefano Utoikamanu (Tigers) could prove to be a loss down the track, but Brad Takairangi (Hull KR) and Kane Evans (Warriors) are past their best.

Daniel Alvaro (Dragons) and George Jennings (Storm) still have plenty to offer so time will tell if letting them go was the right call.

The Eels need to improve their backline defence and create more try-scoring opportunities for their wingers out wide or it could be a season where they slide down the ladder.

THE STRENGTH

Settled spine. If you are looking at the ingredients that make up successful teams in the NRL a settled No.9, No.6, No.7 and No.1 would be right at the top of the list.

In skipper Clint Gutherson, halves Dylan Brown and Mitchell Moses and hooker Reed Mahoney the Eels have one of the better spines in the competition on paper.

The Eels led the competition for much of the early part of the 2020 season on the back of some excellent work by their key playmakers.

The challenge for these four stars is to maintain that sort of form for the duration of a long season, especially as the NRL will return to 25 Rounds in 2021.

Reigning Dally M Fullback of the Year Gutherson and Eels No.7 Moses are entering the prime of their careers and need to find the sort of consistency that the best players in the game maintain on a weekly basis.

Mahoney has been mentioned as a future Queensland representative player and Brown is an exciting livewire who could be anything as he matures.

If their spine can click and deliver on their promise on paper then this Eels team can challenge most sides in the competition.

THE PRESSURE IS ON

Brad Arthur. Now entering his eighth season as full-time coach at Parramatta the time has come for the 46-year-old to turn around his poor record in the finals.

Twice in the last four seasons in 2017 and 2020 the Eels were bundled out of the finals in straight sets despite finishing fourth and third on the ladder.

Their only win of note in the finals was a 58-0 demolition of the Broncos in 2019 when they finished fifth, but they were thrashed 32-0 by the Storm the very next week.

Arthur’s tenure at the Eels has been similar to Paul McGregor’s reign at the Dragons where he had some early struggles, before a couple of successful seasons and then a steady decline.

There are signs that the Eels have reached their peak under Arthur and the decline could be coming in the next few seasons.

It is up to Arthur to secure a top four finish in 2021 and win some games in September or it could be time for the Eels to go in another direction after eight years with Arthur and little success.

THE RISING STAR

Dylan Brown. After two seasons in the top grade it is fair to say Dylan Brown is already a star, but there is still scary room for improvement for the young five-eighth.

Still only 20 years of age, Brown has only scratched the surface of his enormous potential in rugby league and he will only get better with every new season.

In Mitchell Moses Brown has the perfect halves partner to take the pressure off him and allow him to play his game and test the defence with his devastating running game and silky passing skills.

After a frustrating period during the coronavirus pandemic, halves coach Andrew Johns should hopefully be able to spend more time in a hands on role with the Eels in 2021.

In Johns Brown has the perfect teacher to take his game to the next level and make him a more consistent and well-rounded playmaker.

Brown has scored nine tries in 33 games to date and if the Eels forwards can set the platform up front then look for Brown to score and set up plenty more in 2021.

THE UNLUCKY ONES

Marata Niukore, Ray Stone, Will Smith and Jordan Rankin. The strength of the Eels halves and forward pack is set to cost some players some game time in 2021.

At 24 Niukore has played 56 games and will feature prominently throughout the season, but he may have to bide his time while the Eels find out what recruit Bryce Cartwright has left to offer. Cartwright is a special talent with ball in hand, but his defensive game needs a lot of work and time will tell if Arthur can get the best out of him.

At 23, Ray Stone has provided strong back-up to the pack and Mahoney at hooker in his 19 games to date, but may have to wait until injuries strike and the Origin period to come around to get his opportunity.

Smith at 28 is a reliable back-up half having scored 10 tries in 58 games and he provides strong utility value, but will struggle for minutes behind Moses, Brown and Mahoney.

Rankin’s career has taken a different route having played just 40 games in the NRL, but the 29-year-old has scored 37 tries in 120 games in the Super League and provides experience should injury strike in the halves.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR

Mitchell Moses. Rightly or wrongly the Eels’ success always seems to be linked to the No.7 jersey given their last premiership winning halfback was Peter Sterling back in 1986.

Until a halfback can lead the Eels to a drought-breaking premiership then that scrutiny of the main playmaker is just par for the course.

At his best Moses is one of the most dangerous halfbacks in the competition, particularly with his kicking game that can create try-scoring opportunities at will as it did in 2019.

However Moses’ kicking and running games deserted him last year after a mid-season injury disrupted his and the teams’ rhythm.

Moses need to shorten the gap between his best game and his worst and become a more consistent and reliable main playmaker for the Eels.

The 26-year-old is coming into the best years for a playmaker and with Johns as his teacher he should be able to realise his potential if he is focused and injury-free.

After 25 tries and 712 points in 150 games, Moses has the experience to lead a team deep into the finals, but time will tell if he is good enough to inspire this Eels team to greater heights.

EELS BEST 17

1 Clint Gutherson

2 Maika Sivo

3 Waqa Blake

4 Michael Oldfield

5 Blake Ferguson

6 Dylan Brown

7 Mitchell Moses

8 Junior Paulo

9 Reed Mahoney

10 Reagan Campbell-Gillard

11 Shaun Lane

12 Ryan Matterson

13 Nathan Brown

14 Bryce Cartwright

15 Isaiah Papali’i

16 Keegan Hipgrave

17 Oregon Kaufusi

2021 squad: Waqa Blake (2023), Dylan Brown (2023), Nathan Brown (2021), Reagan Campbell-Gillard (2022, PO 23, CO 24), Bryce Cartwright (2021), Blake Ferguson (2021), Clint Gutherson (2022), Keegan Hipgrave (2021 PO 22), Michael Jennings (2022), Oregon Kaufusi (2022), Shaun Lane (2023), Joey Lussick (2021), Reed Mahoney (2022), Ryan Matterson (2021, PO 22), Mitchell Moses (2021, PO 22), Marata Niukore (2022), Michael Oldfield (2022), Tom Opacic (2021), Isaiah Papali’i (2022), Junior Paulo (2022), Jordan Rankin (2021), Nathaniel Roache (2021), Maika Sivo (2021), Will Smith (2021), Ray Stone (2021)

2021 gains: Joey Lussick (Salford), Tom Opacic (Cowboys), Isaiah Papali’i (Warriors), Michael Oldfield (Raiders), Keegan Hipgrave (Titans), Nathaniel Roache (Warriors), Bryce Cartwright (Titans)

2021 losses: Stefano Utoikamanu (Tigers), Kane Evans (Warriors), Andrew Davey (Sea Eagles), George Jennings (Storm), David Gower (retired), Jai Field (Wigan), Daniel Alvaro (Dragons), Brad Takairangi (Hull KR), Peni Terepo (retired), Rhys Davies (unsigned), Jaeman Salmon (Panthers)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/060e18653dc909849b73143f558bd168

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
SIVO’S MANAGER SOUNDS OUT EELS RIVALS’ INTEREST

Star Parramatta winger Maika Sivo’s manager has reportedly gauged the interest of rival NRL clubs about a deal for his client.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Sivo’s manager emailed clubs last week seeking expressions of interest for 2022.

Sivo’s current contract at Parramatta expires at the end of the 2021 season.

The 27-year-old has scored 37 tries in 46 games for the Eels since debuting in 2019 and has scored two tries in two Tests for Fiji.

The Eels will be desperate to hold onto Sivo after telling Blake Ferguson that his services are no longer required beyond 2021.

Losing both star wingers in the same season would put a massive dent in their outside back stocks that are already thin due to Michael Jennings being stood down over alleged use of performance enhancing drugs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/d4fd1b9a07900a5c074f843612e334e9

Gronk

Staff member

Star Parramatta winger Maika Sivo’s manager has reportedly gauged the interest of rival NRL clubs about a deal for his client.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Sivo’s manager emailed clubs last week seeking expressions of interest for 2022.

The 27-year-old has scored 37 tries in 46 games for the Eels since debuting in 2019 and has scored two tries in two Tests for Fiji.

The Eels will be desperate to hold onto Sivo after telling Blake Ferguson that his services are no longer required beyond 2021.

Losing both star wingers in the same season would put a massive dent in their outside back stocks that are already thin due to Michael Jennings being stood down over alleged use of performance enhancing drugs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/d4fd1b9a07900a5c074f843612e334e9

Merkin needs to pull his socks up. Talk the talk, walk the walk etc.

NRL 2021: Q&A with Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur - talking Mitch Moses, Bryce Cartwright and Andrew Johns
In an exclusive interview, Brad Arthur speaks candidly about under-fire Mitchell Moses and why he has placed extra trust in Andrew Johns.

Paul Crawley
9 min read
January 25, 2021 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom0 comments

FOXSPORTS1:00
Plenty of competition for spots at Eels

NRL: Eels second rower Shaun Lane believes competition for spots at the Eels will only prove to be a good thing for the side.

Brad Arthur is convinced there is not a behind-the-scenes push to oust him from the Parramatta Eels despite ongoing speculation that his position is under mounting pressure heading into the new NRL season.

In a wide-ranging interview, Arthur also spoke candidly about his under fire star halfback Mitchell Moses, declaring: “I am right behind him 100 per cent”.

But he also explained why he has put extra trust in Andrew Johns to help take Moses’s game to the next level in 2021.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Arthur also makes no secret Blake Ferguson “wants to be better”, and explains the reason the Eels have gambled on Bryce Cartwright who “has had enough of treading water”.

Q: 2021 is the 40th anniversary of Parramatta’s first premiership in 1981 and it will be 35 years since the last in 1986. From your perspective, does that sense of history ever weigh on you as coach of the team with the NRL’s longest premiership drought?

BA: No, every year we have the same ambitions as every other club and we feel like we are getting closer. But we know that we still have a lot of improvement in us moving into the 2021 season. And there is no point hiding from it, everyone is desperate for this club to be successful and we have shown signs of it. But premierships is what it is all about.

80f3d9b08501545e9080652b56547fe4

Can Brad Arthur coach Parramatta’s first premiership in 35 years? Picture: AAP Image/Joel Carrett
Q: This will be your eighth season in charge. I saw where you came from and the mess the club was in, and you’ve done an outstanding job rebuilding it. But looking ahead, now that you have established yourself as a top four side where does the improvement come from?

Obviously experience and time spent together. You know, Dylan Brown is 30 (NRL) games. Reed Mahoney’s 50 games. Our captain, Clint Gutherson, 114 games. So it is just that evolvement of the spine. The extra tutelage of Andrew Johns, that he continues to work with those guys. Us learning how to own big moments of big games. That is where the improvement has got to come.

I thought we chased improvement in defence (in 2020) and we ended up being a top four team defensively. But the thing that probably let us down was that in the two big games (in the finals against Melbourne and Souths), even though we had some circumstances around it with positional changes and injuries, defensively we got caught out. We scored four tries in both games which should be enough to win a final.

Q: What about Mitch Moses. How do you break down his season and were you disappointed with the way he finished the year or do people expect too much of him?

Well, the expectations are real and the expectations he has to accept, and he does. But this last year Dylan Brown evolved and got more involvement, so that sort of takes away a bit of possession from Mitchell. (And) our left side was pretty dominant early with Gutho there.

But since Mitchell has come to our club, and I am right behind him 100 per cent, but since Mitchell has come to our club he came as just a free-running footballer. But he now has learned how to control and manage games. He knows how to kick teams to death. His kicking game is excellent. He is still working on his defence in the system. He is getting better and better at that. He knows how to play tough. But what he has got to do now is he has to put all those ingredients into one season.

At times I thought maybe through the extra pressure from us of managing the team he forgot about his own game. Now we have just got to get the balance right and that is part of what Andrew is going to help him with as well.

7da4aae36f4c01d49aa43ae220966d3c

Mitchell Moses has had to learn a new role at the Eels. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
Q: I was going to ask you about that because in that final game against Souths I think he ran for 34m and Dylan was 133m. But I’ve been wondering, if you would consider flipping their roles going forward, to give Dylan that extra responsibility and maybe give Mitchell a bit more freedom?

Yeah, but then that would take away from Dylan’s game. Mitchell wants that role. He wants to do that.

Q: To own the team?

Well, not so much own the team, but he likes to be controlling. Now, he just has to get the balance right and trust everyone else in the team, that they know what they need to do and they’ve got to do their job to allow him to do his job. And what he is really good at is his running game. So it is getting the balance right.

He has gone from being a real off-the-cuff type player to (now) he is controlling the team. You know, he got knocked (in 2019) because we would win by 30 or we got beat by 30 and that was his fault. This year he has managed to have us in every contest and we have won games on the back of his kicking game. We have won games on the back of his goal kicking. We have won tight games that we lost last year and for mine we didn’t win one week big and get beat the next week big. We were in every game.

Q: I might be wrong but it seems when he runs the ball you are a better side?

Definitely. We know that, he knows that. But there is lots of things that go with that too. You need possession. You need your forwards to be doing a good job. And if you have a look at the games where he did run it was mainly when he had Dylan there. The last 12 games I think they played together six times.

ca180277db5591f5a0408d280b2a03f9

Dylan Brown evolved as a player last season. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Q: Dylan really seems to have that calm demeanour where it looks like he would relish extra responsibility?

Well that might be your opinion, but we don’t see that. He is more of a free-willed player who likes to take his opportunities. And he is getting better and better with extra responsibility but he is not ready yet to step up and run the team. It allows Dylan to play what he sees and run the footy because he is very powerful and strong. I think they complement each other well. It is just we have to get the balance right.

Q: What about Reed Mahoney. How’s he tracking in your opinion?

He is training really well. At the moment he has just got past 50 games as well. Hopefully now he has got some more help around him and there is more depth to take a bit of pressure off him. His initiation in the NRL was playing 80 minutes each week and racking up 50 or 60 tackles, all the effort areas. So it is a long, gruelling season. Hookers get targeted. He is no different.

3575b81eb98e29e2c4119015b24379a5

Reed Mahoney is still learning his craft, having only just passed 50 games. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Q: Of course Gutho had a great year. Like you said he’s just cracked 100 games and he is such an inspiration to the team. But what are his goals moving forward?

Well, we sat down at the start of the year and we had a talk about a few things that he needed to do which he did do. Moving forward I am sure he wants to replicate that consistency he played with. And I am sure the next part of it is that he wants to take a lot of accountability and responsibility around our performances every week. He is a winner and he wants to win every week, and he was disappointed that we couldn’t win one of those games when we probably put ourselves in a position in both of those games in the finals to win.

Q: You certainly did because you led both games. Just going back to the morning of that semi-final against Souths when you found out about Michael Jennings. You handled that so well publicly that day. You were so upbeat. You said the players were upbeat. They started really well in that game. But I’d imagine when it first happened you would have been shattered?

Yeah, I was disappointed. I was concerned for Michael. It would have been tough for him. I didn’t know all the circumstances. There was a lot of unknowns. But I had to not worry about that. I had to worry about what was going to happen and how we got our heads around it. And when I spoke to a few senior players and I spoke to Haze (Dunster) and I spoke to Waqa Blake about partnering Haze, the excitement in all the boys was, ‘we will get it on and we will be right’. Then when they bounced into the dressing sheds they were upbeat and they were ready to go and our start was a reflection of that. We just lost our way a bit in the second half.

Q: If Jennings doesn’t return what are your best options to fill that centre spot?

Don’t know. That’s a good question. I don’t really have any options at the minute. The club is still waiting or don’t know where it is all at.

0acaf58186f1e6e420bc34a1cd318802

Parramatta will be keen to get Blake Ferguson fit and firing from injury. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Q: Physically where is Blake Ferguson at with his knee and how much did that hold him back?

He is still rehabbing that at the moment. Him and Waqa had some clean-outs.

Q: Do you think that held him back this last season?

Look, Fergo knows himself he wants to be better this year.

Q: Defensively you had some dramas on the edges.

We just lost a bit of trust at times, that’s all.

Q: How do you fix it?

We just have to keep practising and drilling it at training and make sure everyone is buying into our systems. At times we lost our way with some trust there. But overall it was an area we wanted to improve and we finished in the top four or top three of points against so it was a big improvement for us. But we know for us to take the next step we have to be better again. We need to be able to do it in the big moments and the big occasions and when it counts.

a1eb4870b338b40da6f9104ec3059664

Recruit Bryce Cartwright will be a great addition to the Eels’ line-up. Picture: Parramatta Eels

Q: You’ve signed Keegan Hipgrave and Bryce Cartwright to add to what’s already an impressive pack. Everyone knows at his best Bryce is a real X-factor. But did he say anything that convinced you to give him a shot and that he could turn around his career?

I just like where he is at in his career. He is 26. He hasn’t reached the potential that he should and probably made the progress (expected) when he initially started. The fact that he knows, not that it is his last opportunity, but he knows that he needs to make something of his career because he is a talented player. So we just have to put him in the right environment. He is a great trainer. He is training hard and doing a lot of work in the pre-season. So I have just seen the determination and I have seen a real willingness and honesty about himself. He wants to make something out of his career. He has had enough of treading water.

Q: Where do you play him because you have a pretty fair back row as it is?

Yeah, well, it is good. It is nice healthy competition. Obviously back row is his best spot. He is a back-rower and I think he needs to learn to play like a back-rower and not a five-eighth.

Q: Ain't that the truth. What about the next generation coming through. Who is impressing you so far during pre-season and what names would you throw up as the ones to watch?

I am very reluctant to throw names. But we have maybe eight or nine kids in the 18 to 20 age group that are training with us at the moment in full-time. They have been nice and energetic and they are hanging in. It is tough for them but they have a real sense of gratitude about how lucky they are to be here and they are making the most of their opportunity.

14e3c7ad5c640f16f4de0cb76ca6684b

Clint Gutherson in action during the 2020 season. Picture: Brett Costello

Q: Just on your own position. Even though you have a contract until the end of 2022 and you finished third this last season, there has been so much said that you’re under the pump because the finals record hasn’t been flash in recent years. My question, has there been any internal conversations relating to your future?

No. The club is right behind me. I just as much, if not more than anyone else, want to win finals games. And that is what we are here for. But we have got a big job to do for 25 weeks before we worry about that. But definitely we have to win finals games.

Q: You sound really excited. You’re in an upbeat mood?

I am pumped and ready to go. I am happy with our squad. I was proud of our boys. I thought we played some really tough games last season. We finished third. It is the highest the club has finished in a long, long time. I know in the two finals we went back-to-back losses. But I can’t remember the last time this club ever went through a season without back-to-back losses in normal fixtures. The boys made a real point of making sure week-to-week we backed up our performances.

Q: So every indication is the team will improve further?

More Coverage
The player Eels desperately need to make next stepSigning surprise: Panthers pick up former Eel

We have to make sure it does but there is no reason why it can’t.

Q: Good luck.

84 Baby

Referee

“In breaking news, a player agent does his job.”