What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks @redVinme

I am always bumping into @Disillusioned Tiger around other forums. Lol.

We like our SGI and the odd foray to Panthers.

When the aliens finally take over the United Nations I just hope they are wearing a “ Who cares, we call it a f**king merge too @Willow “ hoodie.

Not that he will believe it and promptly go to argue with them and destroy interplanetary peace.
Joint Venture.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
The Telegraph are reporting that Benji has signed with Souths but l can't display it because its behind a paywall. Perhaps someone can post the contents.

Congratulations to him, hope he does well ( except against us of course )

getsmarty

Immortal

• Benji Marshall in line to play for South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2021
    Benji Marshall has reportedly found a new club to play at in 2021 after the Wests Tigers cut him loose at the end of last season.

James Matthey

jamesmatthey
    dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

January 27, 20211:14pm
  • Video

• 0c5a98b6eee54e4b41c18126080243c6

Benji Marshall is reportedly on the verge of signing with South Sydney after Wayne Bennett offered the NRL outcast a lifeline.

NRL.com and The Daily Telegraph both report the 35-year-old has been offered a one-year deal which, if ratified as salary cap compliant by the NRL, could see Marshall training with the Rabbitohs as soon as this week.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Marshall was cut loose by the Wests Tigers at the end of last season, told he was unwanted beyond 2020. But the veteran playmaker was keen to play on and after months of uncertainty, it seems as if he may have found a new home at Redfern.

Bennett previously helped out Marshall in 2017 when he was coaching the Broncos, bringing him to Brisbane after the five-eighth’s stint with St George ended. Marshall later made his way back to the Tigers, who he debuted for in 2003, but there was no room for sentiment as he was moved on after another disappointing campaign by the club last year.

It was a sour end for Marshall and the Tigers with reports he only found out he was unwanted at the club when he read it in a newspaper article.

8d887431d82f27064c3b09f7f6140637

Marshall has some gas left in the tank yet.Source:News Corp Australia

Previous reports had linked Marshall to the Sharks and Cowboys, but no deal eventuated with either of those clubs.

Should he sign on the dotted line with Souths, he would act as back-up to first-choice halves Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker, who played pivotal roles in the Bunnies’ run to last year’s finals.

Marshall turned down a proposal from Hull in the UK Super League because he didn’t want to play overseas, and a deal with the Rabbitohs would allow him to stay in Sydney and continue his media career with Fox Sports.

It was reported earlier this off-season Marshall was seeking a deal of up to $400,000 after the Tigers had made it clear he would not be offered a deal to play beyond the 2020 season.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire has instead put his faith behind Luke Brooks and Adam Douehi to form his halves partnership in 2021.

The Tigers have been busy in the off-season, adding the firepower of James Roberts, James Tamou and Joe Ofahengaue to their books for 2021.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/b...1/news-story/4565f4f73c848bcd3b58ce4b42d88c22

BIG RIG

Juniors
Just heard a pretty worrying rumour that I’m the past 2 months St George have been knocked back by atleast 6 players

And these players all were genuine starting players at their respective clubs

It looks like we will struggle to fill in the remainder 4 spots on the roster

Old Timer

Coach
Just heard a pretty worrying rumour that I’m the past 2 months St George have been knocked back by atleast 6 players

That is most concerning.

Any reasons offered such as coach, having 2 homes, players already at the club etc?

If we have trouble attracting quality players then our windows of opportunity will only be open when our junior nursery is full to the brim and overflowing and can also withstand some inevitable poaching.

Gareth67

First Grade

I truly hope that there is nothing to the rumor BIG RIG as it is a shocking situation to find ourselves in .

We were all aware the damage done by the previous coach (?) and an administration that seem content with abject failure on a grand scale , but apparently the damage is far worse than anyone thought .

We can only hope that Griffin and Webb are able to overcome these difficulties - very quickly .

Last edited:

goldiesaintz

Juniors
That is most concerning.

Any reasons offered such as coach, having 2 homes, players already at the club etc?

If we have trouble attracting quality players then our windows of opportunity will only be open when our junior nursery is full to the brim and overflowing and can also withstand some inevitable poaching.

Maybe we not prepared to pay overs?
Maybe they don't want to get too serious, hence they won't play for Hook?
Or as you say, two homes etc.

I tend to think it may be the not paying overs and the coach .......... and l'm ok with that.
We certainly don't want slackers and last pay check Johnnys.

George Sancti

Juniors

Whilst it would be disappointing to be rejected by half a dozen players of first grade standard, it does demonstrate that we are being proactive and testing the market. If this rumour is accurate, I am confident that we will secure players of quality for 2022 and we may even pick one up for 2021.

Welcome to the club! At least these rejections weren’t played out in the media!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
That is most concerning.

Tbh OT i think a majority of the players (in the NRL) are taking a wait and see approach. Our ladder position over the last 2 years isnt inspiring to any prospect. Also, having 2 grounds and training at the furthest isnt attractive either.
The 26 signed players for 2021 are a 'fair' playing group. The only way to inspire or attract would-be revruits is to obviously move up the ladder and play some attractive football.
Hook has a good reputation for junior development and most of our brightest prospects are tied up fairly long term. The only way to keep them is also opportubity and what I've mentioned previously.
We have to take some encouragement in the fact that no-one had ever heard of Steven Chrighton, Charlie Staines, Bradman Best etc before last season (just to name a few).

Got a feeling the young prop and a couple of the DS will fill the vacancies we currently have, allowing us also to promote others to the DS (which is a good thing).

The concern will come at the end of 2021 and recruitement and retention really kicks in after the McGregor era.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Now you understand why I use this name!
You guys haven’t bought too bad at all. I have a feeling Jimmy the jet is going to exceed expectations this season. I have a soft spot for him, in form he’s one of the most devastating runners of the footy I’ve seen. Has had some injuries and demons but if he can get fit and well he adds some much needed strike power to your side.

BLM01

First Grade
That is most concerning.

I would not worry too much OT, these so called rumours are only that. BigRig for some reason has been a bit pessamistic about our club lately.
Like to see the 6 names and how worthy they are..or did we pull the pin instead on some.

You guys haven’t bought too bad at all. I have a feeling Jimmy the jet is going to exceed expectations this season. I have a soft spot for him, in form he’s one of the most devastating runners of the footy I’ve seen. Has had some injuries and demons but if he can get fit and well he adds some much needed strike power to your side.
Perhaps, and our forwards are looking much improved but our spine is truly awful. It’s going to be a long year!

mickeylane

Bench
Tbh OT i think a majority of the players (in the NRL) are taking a wait and see approach. Our ladder position over the last 2 years isnt inspiring to any prospect. Also, having 2 grounds and training at the furthest isnt attractive either.
The 26 signed players for 2021 are a 'fair' playing group. The only way to inspire or attract would-be revruits is to obviously move up the ladder and play some attractive football.
Hook has a good reputation for junior development and most of our brightest prospects are tied up fairly long term. The only way to keep them is also opportubity and what I've mentioned previously.
We have to take some encouragement in the fact that no-one had ever heard of Steven Chrighton, Charlie Staines, Bradman Best etc before last season (just to name a few).

Got a feeling the young prop and a couple of the DS will fill the vacancies we currently have, allowing us also to promote others to the DS (which is a good thing).

The concern will come at the end of 2021 and recruitement and retention really kicks in after the McGregor era.
Totally agree. We won’t be able to attract the top players until we demonstrate some genuine performance improvement and reignite some respect to the dragons brand. I really do think we should be following the Panthers model of the past 3-4 years and just rebuild from within - and look to recruit maybe 1-2 at most outsiders from the top shelf - even if it means we are paying slightly overs to start with .. ie: backrower, Prop. I’m fairly confident we will see a raft of youngsters establish themselves in 2021 w Hook in charge and start seeing some serious dividends in 2022 and beyond.. A top 8 finish this year with at least 3-4 youngsters established in 1st grade would be a job well done IMO..