What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Peter V'landys vows to bring back all three grades on footy game day.

typicalfan

Coach
Maybe insular fans in Sydney whom have no understanding of the impacts that it will have on the sport outside of Sydney.

You've basically killed any hope that any town or city had of running a club in a meaningful competition outside of the NRL, and that will have massive impacts on the sport outside of the major cities.
Meh, Reserve grade should be independent of NSW/Qld Cup. It is not in their interest to develop NRL players, they don't know how to.

There is next to no hope for a country town to have a NSW Cup team anyway under the current set up so I don't see how this is a sky is falling example.

It's not like Country areas were suddenly more healthy since reserve grade was moved away from first grade.

Benefit is broadcasters could broadcast all games from the one venue which saves cost for them and could create more content.

Benefit is broadcasters could broadcast all games from the one venue which saves cost for them and could create more content.

The broadcasters mostly don't want to broadcast anything other than the NRL or NRLW. That's why the NSWRL announced last month the availability of NSWRL TV (via Facebook) which will see live streamed games from the Harold Matthews Cup, Andrew Johns Cup, SG Ball Cup, Harvey Norman Tarsha Gale Cup, Laurie Daley Cup, Harvey Norman NSW Women’s Premiership, NSW Cup as well as Group competitions in regional NSW.

Source: https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2021/01/15/nswrl-tv-to-bring-more-than-100-games-to-fans/ (p.s. I have no idea why the article is not on the NSWRL website)

The Great Dane

First Grade
Except that the broadcasters have shown no interest in broadcasting a reserve grade, and it's unlikely that they will broadcast it any time soon because I doubt Nine is interested and Fox's deal has already been done.

If the NRL took it seriously then they could have built lower tier comps like the NSW cup and Qld cup into successful products in their own right, like minor leagues in the US and Canada, where smaller markets can afford to run teams.

That won't happen now, and it'll be replaced with a competition that the vast majority of your average punters couldn't give a f**k about, that will only be broadcast if the NRL twists a broadcasters arm, and has zero chance of ever being a viable business.

BTW, it is in there interest to develop NRL players, as they get paid to do it, it keeps a steady flow of strong players filtering into the club, and could, under the right system, help keep them relevant. Also pretty much all the most successful clubs of the last decade have been affiliated with lower tier clubs instead of running their own reserves, so so much for not knowing how to develop NRL players...

Last edited:
Are people reading too much into this? As mentioned in a previous post, I assumed that it was a NRL game curtain-raiser whereby, when for example:

Tigers v Roosters the curtain raiser would be Wests Magpies v North Sydney.
Tigers v Manly the curtain raiser could be Wests Magpies v Blacktown.
Titans v Tigers the curtain raiser would be Burleigh Bears v a QLD ISC team (whose NRL affilated team is playing in Mexico).
Storm v Tigers - I just assumed it would just be 2 teams from local comp.

I'd assume that there would be no curtain raiser for the 6pm game on Friday night as not all players a full time players. This would free up teams to play curtain raiser for late Friday night game (possibly) but certainly for all weekend games.

Perhaps it's why there is no official draw for NSW cups yet. Interesting as well that the Warriors will be based in NSW for the start of the season yet their 'reserves' have now moved to the Qld ISC comp.

Qld have announced their draw for the season but there are more teams/games that can be used for the 3 NRL teams so I think it works out easier for them to manage.

But saying all that, there's going to be issues when the reserves start chopping up the fields prior to the main game and clubs and commentators start complaining about the grounds, that goes for council owned grounds as well as the state owned stadiums, it's not like the 60's anymore.

jim_57

Staff member
If the fans want this so badly why was there hardly anyone there until the main game when it used to happen? Most fans couldn't give a shit if Cowboys A beat Titans A before the main game. Most who would go early these days would probably do so to beat the rush, get a headstart on some expensive mid-strengths or watch their relative/friend play reserves.

jim_57

Staff member
Are people reading too much into this? As mentioned in a previous post, I assumed that it was a NRL game curtain-raiser whereby, when for example:

Titans v Tigers the curtain raiser would be Burleigh Bears v a QLD ISC team (whose NRL affilated team is playing in Mexico).

I'd assume that there would be no curtain raiser for the 6pm game on Friday night as not all players a full time players. This would free up teams to play curtain raiser for late Friday night game (possibly) but certainly for all weekend games.

Perhaps it's why there is no official draw for NSW cups yet. Interesting as well that the Warriors will be based in NSW for the start of the season yet their 'reserves' have now moved to the Qld ISC comp.

Qld have announced their draw for the season but there are more teams/games that can be used for the 3 NRL teams so I think it works out easier for them to manage.

But saying all that, there's going to be issues when the reserves start chopping up the fields prior to the main game and clubs and commentators start complaining about the grounds, that goes for council owned grounds as well as the state owned stadiums, it's not like the 60's anymore.

Probably, I have no issue having curtain raisers when/where it works; Sydney clubs, Cowboys/Blackhawks, Warriors, Knights etc. If they enforce it militantly and we have dumb shit like Sunshine Coast ir Easts Tigers playing home games at AAMI then it will become a joke pretty quickly.

siv

First Grade
The positives out of this allows for the decoupling of professional pathways from part-time pathways. NRL RG and NYC

While Newtown, Norths, Wenty, Mounties can still play in the NSW Cup

It opens the door to bring in NSW Country regions like in the Qld Cup

All part time clubs can operate of their $1 mil budget

This wont look much different to when we are in SOO period

Newtown and Norths still play at home. They can still have beer festivals etc.

Only thing missing are the players 18 to 30 NRL contract players when fit, but when there are 8 players out injured/rep duty many NSW Cup teams will have minimal NRL players. Qld Cup teams will have even less impact as NRL players are shared over 3 clubs.

Lets remember every year 250 players graduate from U20s. And there will be NRL players who want to step back to part-time mode as they transition to the work force.

All clubs bar Norths have operated like this in the past and even the Bears did this in 2020

I see this as a long term win win.

Last edited:

BadnMean

Juniors
Broadcasters can use it to fill a digital channel.

I like it. Venues should also like it. People will come earlier & spend more money. It eases the crush on transport (by staggering arrivals). If league is about tribalism, then this helps build it. Helps fans know the next generation of talent. Creates a stronger link back to local club footy where the same thing happens. It's about the difference between a real club & a "franchise".

They just need to make sure the gap between games is only 20/30 mins. When it was 40 mins to an hour it was pretty hard to interest casual fans (my wife) to watch even the second half of reggies too.

mozza91

Coach
I love the idea of watching all 3 grades back to back. I’m in the minority though because I follow a club that actually has supporters.

unforgiven

Bench
Except that the broadcasters have shown no interest in broadcasting a reserve grade, and it's unlikely that they will broadcast it any time soon because I doubt Nine is interested and Fox's deal has already been done.

If the NRL took it seriously then they could have built lower tier comps like the NSW cup and Qld cup into successful products in their own right, like minor leagues in the US and Canada, where smaller markets can afford to run teams.

That won't happen now, and it'll be replaced with a competition that the vast majority of your average punters couldn't give a f**k about, that will only be broadcast if the NRL twists a broadcasters arm, and has zero chance of ever being a viable business.

BTW, it is in there interest to develop NRL players, as they get paid to do it, it keeps a steady flow of strong players filtering into the club, and could, under the right system, help keep them relevant. Also pretty much all the most successful clubs of the last decade have been affiliated with lower tier clubs instead of running their own reserves, so so much for not knowing how to develop NRL players...

No interest in broadcasting lower tier comps? Games from these comps were broadcast in 2019.

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol, given the NRL and clubs are trying to slash costs whose paying for three grades to be flown around, accommodated, paid etc etc? Most NRL clubs dropped their reserve grade if they didnt have a pokie den to pay for it! I'm struggling to even think about the advantage given no one wants to watch the two lower grades on game day. Expect QRL and NSWRL to put up a fight, they won't want their premier comps relegated to third division status!

The_Frog

First Grade
I love the idea of watching all 3 grades back to back. I’m in the minority though because I follow a club that actually has supporters.
I know you've got supporters but I'd suggest it's more to do with development. Some fans want to see the future early.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The broadcasters mostly don't want to broadcast anything other than the NRL or NRLW. That's why the NSWRL announced last month the availability of NSWRL TV (via Facebook) which will see live streamed games from the Harold Matthews Cup, Andrew Johns Cup, SG Ball Cup, Harvey Norman Tarsha Gale Cup, Laurie Daley Cup, Harvey Norman NSW Women’s Premiership, NSW Cup as well as Group competitions in regional NSW.

Source: https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2021/01/15/nswrl-tv-to-bring-more-than-100-games-to-fans/ (p.s. I have no idea why the article is not on the NSWRL website)
It is https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/01/15/nswrl-tv-to-bring-more-than-100-games-to-fans/

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

If people are reading too much into this, then what is actually happening is a media push to credit V'landys with something that already happens (unsurprisingly, by News Corp).

In 2019 (2020 obviously covid cancelled) there were 54 NSW or QCup games played as curtain raisers to NRL, another 15-20 Flegg or Colts games and about 10 of those were triple headers with the NSW Cup & NRL match.

This already happens, the NSWRL already do it, even in tiny numbers the QRL already do it.

He's literally "pushing forward" with something that's already fairly commonplace. The fact he's going to Facebook groups/pages/comments to get feedback on this just shows those people don't attend games in the first place otherwise they'd know.