What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad for 2021

Tiger05

First Grade
Starting with a fullback.

I tell you what the funny thing is. We need Mbye to play well for us. He is going to be our fullback. If not him it seems we have Kepaoa left. I suppose you could try Nofo there again.

If he doesn't play well we could be spending a lot of time trying to figure out who to play at fullback.

Laurie would really help but is he good enough ? Is he ready now ? Laurie to me sounds like one of those risky signings that sometimes come off. We really need Mbye to play well for us. I can't see us signing a super star fullback prior to the start of the season.

Tigerm

First Grade
I tell you what the funny thing is. We need Mbye to play well for us. He is going to be our fullback. If not him it seems we have Kepaoa left. I suppose you could try Nofo there again.

If he doesn't play well we could be spending a lot of time trying to figure out who to play at fullback.

Laurie would really help but is he good enough ? Is he ready now ? Laurie to me sounds like one of those risky signings that sometimes come off. We really need Mbye to play well for us. I can't see us signing a super star fullback prior to the start of the season.
I agree, both Mbye and Brooks positions are our weak spots and they hold our seasons hopes in there hands already and we haven’t even started yet.

They both need big seasons.

Tiger05

First Grade
I agree, both Mbye and Brooks positions are our weak spots and they hold our seasons hopes in there hands already and we haven’t even started yet.

They both need big seasons.

AD and Liddle are completely unproven in their spots as well. They are going to make mistakes. I also can't see Liddle going 80 minutes per game over the course of the season. Grant couldn't do it last year.

We need the whole spine to have career best seasons.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Agree with what ur saying but I have no faith in Mbye.IMO he is shithouse & arguably the worst player in our squad.

Tigerm

First Grade
NRL 2021: Tigers best 17, Luke Brooks, James Roberts, Joey Leilua, Jacob Liddle, Tommy Talau, Billy Walters, teams | Fox Sports

It’s now or never for Luke Brooks as Michael Maguire unleashes Fab Five: Tigers best 17

TIGERS BEST 17

1 Moses Mbye

2 David Nofoaluma

3 Joey Leilua

4 James Roberts

5 Tommy Talau

6 Adam Doueihi

7 Luke Brooks

8 Joe Ofahengaue

9 Jacob Liddle

10 James Tamou

11 Luke Garner

12 Luciano Leilua

13 Alex Twal

14 Michael Chee-Kam

15 Shawn Blore

16 Thomas Mikaele

17 Stefano Utoikamanu

Thought I was going to read that the NRL & Police both announced that he and Musgrove are in the clear and not case to answer, instead I read that
Earlier in the day, coach Michael Maguire presented “AJ” with a cake at training and all the players sung ‘Happy Birthday’.
I hope Madge then tortured him at training.

Tigerm

First Grade
Thought I was going to read that the NRL & Police both announced that he and Musgrove are in the clear and not case to answer, instead I read that
I hope Madge then tortured him at training.
Maybe they gave him a cake with a hacksaw in it:joy:

Just on that incident, seems a long investigation into what ever happened, unless I missed the findings?

simmo05

Bench
I’d like this kid to make the fullback position his own.We r a gun fullback away from becoming a major threat assuming AD & Liddle stay healthy.I have enormous faith in our 6 & 9 in more than holding their own.
I would love to see him grab that fb spot, rather than pay a dog f**ker like turdesco a million bucks.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Any truth in the rumour that Walters is off to Brisbane (as early as next week)? If so, is there a swap going to happen?

Hope there is a swap on the cards - or at least we are looking to sign someone. I heard Hastings name get thrown around. Would be great to see him and Madden tearing it up for reserve grade team to really put pressure on Brooks/AD

Perth Tiger

Bench
If Walters does go that would leave 4 spots to fill so we would want to either have a player swap or someone lined up.
Would love to get Isaako, could play fullback and solve the goal kicking problem

Fordy20

Juniors
I reckon Zach Dockar-Clay would make a decent replacement for Walters, particularly since he's not injured.
Any truth in the rumour that Walters is off to Brisbane (as early as next week)? If so, is there a swap going to happen?

Fox sports is reporting we asked for Reece Walsh in swap and got told to bugger off, so now we are digging our heels in. Surely the Bronx should at least make a counter offer.

Tigerm

First Grade
Bouncing back: Regaining reins can bring out best in Brooks
AuthorDominic Brock
NRL.com Sub Editor
Timestamp
Thu 4 Feb 2021, 02:28 PM

As part of an NRL.com series on players aiming for a bounce-back season, Dominic Brock analyses what went wrong for a one-time Dally M Halfback of the Year.

A highly rated youngster touted as a future NSW halfback and the Wests Tigers’ player of the year in 2018 and 2019, Luke Brooks had a year to forget in 2020.

Two seasons after winning the Dally M Halfback of the Year award and just months after being named in a 34-man extended NSW Blues squad, Brooks had arguably a career-worst campaign, which included being dropped to the bench for three matches.

He finished the year with just three try assists – easily the lowest return since his first full season when he made 12 on the way to the NRL’s Rookie of the Year award.

In that time his previous lowest number of try assists in a season was nine, in 2017, and he made a career-best 16 in 2019.

His short kicking game wasn’t particularly effective either. After a career-best 22 forced drop-outs in 2018 and 15 in 2019, Brooks only had six last season – his worst result in six years.

So can he turn it around this year?

The main man again
Even though Brooks is heading into his eighth full season in first grade, he was an early starter, debuting at the age of 18 in late 2013 with a terrific performance in which he scored a try and set up two others.

He’s still only 26, a couple of years shy of Roosters star Luke Keary and five years younger than Kangaroos halfback Daly Cherry-Evans. While he may not be on the level of that duo – or 26-year-old Queensland star Cameron Munster or 23-year-old NSW halfback Nathan Cleary – he’s by no means a spent force.

He beat all four of those players in Dally M voting in 2018, ranking third overall and just three points behind winner Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

And if Brooks needs a reminder that playmakers can bounce back later in their careers, he need look no further than his 2020 halves partner.

Benji Marshall, at 35, was in great touch for the Tigers last season with 17 try assists, after contributing just five a couple of years earlier in Brooks’s Dally M year.

Not only did Benji’s performances show the way forward for Brooks, but his absence this year after moving to the Rabbitohs means he is once again the team’s undisputed chief playmaker.

It’s clear Brooks was simply less involved last year than he had been in previous seasons. He averaged 46 touches per game, down from 56 a year earlier. His number of kicks per game declined from 11 to less than eight, and his offload count dropped from 30 in 2019 to just nine last season.

All of those numbers can improve if Brooks embraces the role of the team’s primary playmaker, alongside a ball-running five-eighth like Adam Doueihi or Moses Mbye.

Case for the defence
The real low point of Brooks’s 2020 season came in round 10, when he was dropped to the bench for the first what would be a three-week stretch as an interchange player.

It was the first time he’d ever started on the bench in an NRL game, and followed a match in when he produced six missed tackles in a loss to Souths – two of which led to line breaks and one which led directly to a try.

In three games off the bench and for the rest of the season – when he returned to the starting side at five-eighth and then his usual halfback spot – Brooks didn’t make six missed tackles in a game again.

In one sense, his brief demotion to the bench did the trick.

But while his defensive errors decreased, so did just about everything else. Brooks’s line breaks, tackle breaks, offloads, tackles, run metres and kick metres all declined in the second half of the season – even when he was back in the 80-minute role.

That coincided with Marshall being used as the team’s dominant playmaker, a role Brooks will need to reclaim this season. At the very least Brooks will be the go-to player when directing the team around the park and kicking in general play.

If he can get his groove back in attack without becoming a liability in defence, there’s no reason why he can’t regain the kind of form that earned him the halfback of the year award a few seasons back

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Bouncing back: Regaining reins can bring out best in Brooks
AuthorDominic Brock
NRL.com Sub Editor
Timestamp
Thu 4 Feb 2021, 02:28 PM

As part of an NRL.com series on players aiming for a bounce-back season, Dominic Brock analyses what went wrong for a one-time Dally M Halfback of the Year.

A highly rated youngster touted as a future NSW halfback and the Wests Tigers’ player of the year in 2018 and 2019, Luke Brooks had a year to forget in 2020.

Two seasons after winning the Dally M Halfback of the Year award and just months after being named in a 34-man extended NSW Blues squad, Brooks had arguably a career-worst campaign, which included being dropped to the bench for three matches.

He finished the year with just three try assists – easily the lowest return since his first full season when he made 12 on the way to the NRL’s Rookie of the Year award.

In that time his previous lowest number of try assists in a season was nine, in 2017, and he made a career-best 16 in 2019.

His short kicking game wasn’t particularly effective either. After a career-best 22 forced drop-outs in 2018 and 15 in 2019, Brooks only had six last season – his worst result in six years.

So can he turn it around this year?

The main man again
Even though Brooks is heading into his eighth full season in first grade, he was an early starter, debuting at the age of 18 in late 2013 with a terrific performance in which he scored a try and set up two others.

He’s still only 26, a couple of years shy of Roosters star Luke Keary and five years younger than Kangaroos halfback Daly Cherry-Evans. While he may not be on the level of that duo – or 26-year-old Queensland star Cameron Munster or 23-year-old NSW halfback Nathan Cleary – he’s by no means a spent force.

He beat all four of those players in Dally M voting in 2018, ranking third overall and just three points behind winner Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

And if Brooks needs a reminder that playmakers can bounce back later in their careers, he need look no further than his 2020 halves partner.

Benji Marshall, at 35, was in great touch for the Tigers last season with 17 try assists, after contributing just five a couple of years earlier in Brooks’s Dally M year.

Not only did Benji’s performances show the way forward for Brooks, but his absence this year after moving to the Rabbitohs means he is once again the team’s undisputed chief playmaker.

It’s clear Brooks was simply less involved last year than he had been in previous seasons. He averaged 46 touches per game, down from 56 a year earlier. His number of kicks per game declined from 11 to less than eight, and his offload count dropped from 30 in 2019 to just nine last season.

All of those numbers can improve if Brooks embraces the role of the team’s primary playmaker, alongside a ball-running five-eighth like Adam Doueihi or Moses Mbye.

Case for the defence
The real low point of Brooks’s 2020 season came in round 10, when he was dropped to the bench for the first what would be a three-week stretch as an interchange player.

It was the first time he’d ever started on the bench in an NRL game, and followed a match in when he produced six missed tackles in a loss to Souths – two of which led to line breaks and one which led directly to a try.

In three games off the bench and for the rest of the season – when he returned to the starting side at five-eighth and then his usual halfback spot – Brooks didn’t make six missed tackles in a game again.

In one sense, his brief demotion to the bench did the trick.

But while his defensive errors decreased, so did just about everything else. Brooks’s line breaks, tackle breaks, offloads, tackles, run metres and kick metres all declined in the second half of the season – even when he was back in the 80-minute role.

That coincided with Marshall being used as the team’s dominant playmaker, a role Brooks will need to reclaim this season. At the very least Brooks will be the go-to player when directing the team around the park and kicking in general play.

If he can get his groove back in attack without becoming a liability in defence, there’s no reason why he can’t regain the kind of form that earned him the halfback of the year award a few seasons back

Blah blah f**ken blahhhhh!
This same shit is written about him every damned year.
Stick him in the scrum or f**k him off to clean the shithouses.

Latest posts