What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Who’s the better dummyhalf for ‘22 & ‘23?

• Cameron McInnes

Votes: 46 54.8%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 38 45.2%

• Total voters

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0178.jpg

DRAGONS

'Sad to lose him': Griffin ponders how to replace 'unique' McInnes
Author
Dan Walsh & Troy Whittaker
Timestamp
Fri 12 Feb 2021, 08:59 PM
Share on social media
Dragons coach Anthony Griffin described Cameron McInnes's season-ending knee injury as "sad" and said trial form would be crucial to determining who takes his place.

Hours after McInnes went down with a ruptured ACL at training, curtailing his playing career in the Red V ahead of a move to Cronulla in 2022, St George Illawarra went down 36-28 to their outgoing captain's next club in an emerging players trial at PointsBet Stadium.

Only those who played 12 or fewer NRL matches in 2020 were eligible.

Speaking afterwards, Griffin acknowledged McInnes, who was touted to start at lock with the Dragons expected to sign Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough, is a tough man to replace.

"We've got a few there that can fill that [number 13] role," he said.

"We'll have a look at it, see what fits us. Cam's a little unique because he can play hooker or lock. He plays well above his weight and can play 80 minutes as well.

"We've got two trials leading into the competition, so we'll see who puts their hand up. There's an opportunity there now. It's sad to lose him but there's an opportunity there."

Griffin didn't provide an update on McCullough's situation, saying "I think it's more up to the Broncos now rather than us as to when and if" he joins St George Illawarra.

However, McCullough's arrival on a three-year deal is expected to be confirmed by next week.

The likes of Blake Lawrie, Kaide Ellis, Poasa Faamausili, Trent Merrin and Jack Bird are among Griffin's options for the No.13 jersey.
Ellis, along with fellow established NRL forwards Daniel Alvaro and Tariq Sims, was given around 20 minutes to shake off the rust against the Sharks.

"They'll get a better chance to push for a spot next week against Parramatta, we'll stretch their minutes out," Griffin said.

"It's disappointing for Cam and for the club but there's a spot there now that they can all zero in on. Everyone's disappointed but injuries are a part of the game. It's a brutal game sometimes, you can get a key injury like that."

St George Illawarra issued a statement on Friday afternoon to say McInnes would "undergo follow-up consultations to establish the next steps in his recovery and return-to-play timeframe."

McInnes's ACL tear also ensures Griffin will have to appoint a new captain, having put the decision off throughout the pre-season.

The 27-year-old's switch to the Sharks had already prompted the prospect of a change in leadership, and now the likes of Ben Hunt, Tariq Sims and youngster Zac Lomax head up the captaincy contenders.

remote.axd

V’landys confident NRL will return to normal

V’landys confident NRL will return to normal

McInnes has played 91 games for the Dragons since arriving from South Sydney at the end of 2017, claiming St George Illawarra's best-and-fairest award for the past two seasons in underwhelming club campaigns.

His impressive form led to a call-up to the NSW Origin squad last year, with coach Brad Fittler singling him out for praise in camp despite not seeing any game time.

The fact St George Illawarra did not table an offer to McInnes during protracted negotiations, allowing Cronulla to swoop on his services, had sparked consternation among Red V fans and the NRL in general.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...iffin-ponders-how-to-replace--unique-mcinnes/

goldiesaintz

Juniors
How dumb are you guys asking for cap compensation? Can you imagine if the NRL started compensating clubs every time a player gets injured? The game would be an absolute farce. It's unlucky but it can happen pre season, rd 1 or in a gf.

If a player goes down injured in the 60th minute of the gf, going by your logic, the refs should stop the game and allow the club to ring around and sign someone for the last 20 minutes of the game so things a 'fair'
So dumb

It's ok for the Rorters & Bunnies can get relief every time one of their players gets a blister.

pinkmoon

Juniors
It's ok for the Rorters & Bunnies can get relief every time one of their players gets a blister.
The good ol' conspiracy theory to help you sleep at night...face it, the Saints have been an absolute farce since Bennett left and any salary cap compensation is only going to extend to more failure. The problems at Saints have nothing to do with governing body and everything to do with a culture of failure.

possm

Coach
How dumb are you guys asking for cap compensation? Can you imagine if the NRL started compensating clubs every time a player gets injured? The game would be an absolute farce. It's unlucky but it can happen pre season, rd 1 or in a gf.

If a player goes down injured in the 60th minute of the gf, going by your logic, the refs should stop the game and allow the club to ring around and sign someone for the last 20 minutes of the game so things a 'fair'
So dumb
I'd say the game is already a farce. The Roosters want compensation for a player who had quite a few instances of concussion but the last one being an SOO game and so the NRL develop policy that covers their situation. It ends up being specific to players injured while playing rep football.

In my opinion all players in the NRL should be covered and if this is deemed to be too expensive, then the NRL should have insurance cover for this purpose. It is not good enough to say clubs should cover the costs, not be able to replace that player under the cap and be disadvantaged by playing one squad member down for a season.

If indeed the NRL deems that it is a club matter (and I don't believe it should be) then the NRL should secure an insurance policy for this purpose and increase the salary cap so the premium to cover 30 players for each club is included in their cap.

If it is good enough for a professional player to be covered at rep level, the it is also right that players at NRL level should also be covered.

I'd say before a player signs an 'NRL Contract', he must be examined by medical staff contracted by the NRL and an assessment of his medical situation be completed and a clearance certificate provided to the club. Players, clubs and the NRL can then determine their way forward knowing the risk involved.

Maybe players with a very high risk of serious injury will need to retire, 'medically unfit'.

I had a post removed. I totally understand why. Apologies to Cam and to anybody that saw it. Really shit joke.

My favourite player these past few years. Gutted that it’s ended in this fashion.

I had a post removed. I totally understand why. Apologies to Cam and to anybody that saw it. Really shit joke.

My favourite player these past few years. Gutted that it’s ended in this fashion.

Zurgster, I know your stuff well and whatever your frolics, I don’t think you have a single shred of genuine malice in you.

It’s just not your go.

I’ve questioned his decision not to fight for his place in the clubs history as hard as I thought he could, but the injury is another matter. As you say, no general good arising from the injury anyway you look at it.

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
The fact St George Illawarra did not table an offer to McInnes during protracted negotiations, allowing Cronulla to swoop on his services, had sparked consternation among Red V fans and the NRL in general.

You have to ponder how.sudden & complete has been the purging of the McGregor acolytes

Fate

(& an overdue dash of poetic justice for the unmourned & already Departed Ones)

has certainly dealt Griff some clear air

A great season ahead!

SEAT 1A

Bench
That has to be one of the most extreme ways of showing his thoughts on Hooks coaching abilities I have ever seen.

Seriously, got to feel for the fella.

Got his footy future sorted and what looked likely, one more year with us however, will be on the sidelines dealing with a major injury.

You have to ponder how.sudden & complete has been the purging of the McGregor acolytes

Fate

(& an overdue dash of poetic justice for the unmourned & already Departed Ones)

has certainly dealt Griff some clear air

A great season ahead!

You’re going to have to work out how many days it’s been since Webbys appointment!

gitano

Juniors
Sad to see Cam go, but I get it.
For mine, it's about balance in your roster. You really need another kicking option from your 1 or your 9, and Cam is just a yard slow.

I see the Dragons playing style over the next few years being a bit like Tigers in 05. When you look at Amone, Sullivan, Ramsey, Feagai x 2 I think a more agile hooker is the best fit.

That isn't McCullough, of course.
But he's a stop gap, and might give Hunt a bit of confidence.

Sad to see Cam go, but I get it.
For mine, it's about balance in your roster. You really need another kicking option from your 1 or your 9, and Cam is just a yard slow.

I see the Dragons playing style over the next few years being a bit like Tigers in 05. When you look at Amone, Sullivan, Ramsey, Feagai x 2 I think a more agile hooker is the best fit.

That isn't McCullough, of course.
But he's a stop gap, and might give Hunt a bit of confidence.

I recall Hunt trying to talk himself into confidence last year.

He’s a superb player when it gets it on, super dominant, but somehow Mary nursed him away from it.

Hook is his best chance to reclaim his game via a willing pack.

some11

Referee
Feel so shit for you long-suffering Dragons fans.

As a geldings supporter we have similar situations, clubs gone to shit once Bennett leaves and complete failures follow in his footsteps.

Then you get sloth Griffin and the handbrake McCullough who tore his hamstring off the bone last year and was already the slowest hooker in the comp.

Embrace the pain, the only way out is through.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I recall Hunt trying to talk himself into confidence last year.

He’s a superb player when it gets it on, super dominant, but somehow Mary nursed him away from it.

Hook is his best chance to reclaim his game via a willing pack.
He was good with Widdop, otherwise not so much. He is more an instinctive player so if the opposition defends poorly he can show and go his way through a gap or a little chip or something but I have never seen him work a defence over and really take control of a game very rarely have I seen him game manage us to a come from behind win or even kick to the corners and grind out a win. I have seen him win games with a late try or something but that is not what we paid 1 million for. Anyway I will give him the benefit of the doubt given he has been coached by Mary his whole Dragons career, who knows he could win the Dally M this year.

Goblin_Shark

Juniors
Anyone discussing cap compensation needs to stop comparing Cordner. The roosters relief is due to Cordner being concussed (again) during A rep game which allows the roosters that option of compensation.

A straight acl in pre season is simply shit luck.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Anyone discussing cap compensation needs to stop comparing Cordner. The roosters relief is due to Cordner being concussed (again) during A rep game which allows the roosters that option of compensation.

A straight acl in pre season is simply shit luck.
I agree, but Cordner isn’t having months off because he got concussed during origin he is having time off because he has had multiple concussions, mostly during club games. It is an accumulative thing that the Roosters are using to their advantage. A concussion by itself which many have suffered in the past is not a season ending proposition. The question should be why was he even allowed to play origin with his history.

redv13

Bench
I agree, but Cordner isn’t having months off because he got concussed during origin he is having time off because he has had multiple concussions, mostly during club games. It is an accumulative thing that the Roosters are using to their advantage. A concussion by itself which many have suffered in the past is not a season ending proposition. The question should be why was he even allowed to play origin with his history.
Cordner was well and truly suspect before the origin series. You are 100% correct, the roosters should have pulled the pin on him playing let alone allowing him to play origin and now cry foul