What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new fullback

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yehhhhh Tracey has a loooong way to go to be a fullback. Dunno why I seem like one if the few willing to persevere with Kennedy but tonight was him playing like he did all last year... Mulitalo and Katia seem to love running off him.
I feel like the forum in general are pretty tough on Kennedy..... not even 20 games into his NRL career and still plying his trade. I’m glad Bomber has stuck by him and I think he’ll cement his future this year.

AJB1102

First Grade
I feel like the forum in general are pretty tough on Kennedy..... not even 20 games into his NRL career and still plying his trade. I’m glad Bomber has stuck by him and I think he’ll cement his future this year.

Absolutely. WK started 2020 eyeing off a fulltime gig as fullback for Jets as a goal and wound up playing most the year in first grade. He wasn't ready, he wasn't great but he didn't embarrass himself.

We gotta back him anyway cause Moylan is nothing if he's not a 5/8, Tracey just "no" and Duges might be lucky to still be a first grader at the end of year if his trial performance is any indication.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Difficult to compare.
Kennedy played behind a first grade side going forward getting quick quality ball on the edge from moyza. They had field position for 80% of the first half.
Tracey was behind a side which is barely jets level. Barely.
They had no field position. No cohesion. No forward going and struggled to get to the last.

Kennedy chimes in on the edges like Darius and moyza - whilst Tracey prefers to come through the middle like slater or Teddy.

None of those excuse a lack of basic fullback skills. He dogged a bomb, missed a simple one on one tackle, was out of position most of the times, made no hitups, as you mentioned he was backing up in the middle but took that to an to an extreme and never got out wide as an extra. It's likely they trained with the Kennedy style of attack and he was far removed from that.

He was mud. I wouldn't even have him on the bench.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Absolutely. WK started 2020 eyeing off a fulltime gig as fullback for Jets as a goal and wound up playing most the year in first grade. He wasn't ready, he wasn't great but he didn't embarrass himself.

We gotta back him anyway cause Moylan is nothing if he's not a 5/8, Tracey just "no" and Duges might be lucky to still be a first grader at the end of year if his trial performance is any indication.

Duges played like a Jet and I'm a Duges fan. I'm hoping he was just preserving himself. WK and to a lesser extent SK were the only of the back five to hit it up with any gusto. Hiroti did too but he tried way to hard and made himself look substandard.

DJDL

Bench
Putting Tracey as first choice fullback would be way too reminiscent of what was wrong with the Broncos last year: too much focus on what their players can do with the ball in hand, and no thought given to how they perform when the opposition has it, particularly for long periods.

No to Tracey. Just no.

Don Tweddle

Juniors

Agree. He needs to improve in some areas but he's a natural ball player and his stats on try assists were actually up there with a lot of established NRL fullbacks. He looked our most likely play to create something last night.

It's only a trial and everything but that game was a real setback for anyone arguing Tracey should walk into the #1 jersey.

Tiger Shark

Bench
What do you do with Tracey then?
Off the bench as a utility but then we don’t have four forwards which is my preferrence.

Play for the Jets and masters fullback but what then of Metcalf?

I thought Metcalf looked better than Tracey in the limited minutes.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
What do you do with Tracey then?
Off the bench as a utility but then we don’t have four forwards which is my preferrence.

Play for the Jets and masters fullback but what then of Metcalf?

I thought Metcalf looked better than Tracey in the limited minutes.
I also don’t think it’s worth sacrificing a bopper for Tracey on the bench.... I’d say back to the Jets as a half and use him as injuries require. I think he becomes obsolete to our squad in ‘22 when McInnes comes on board.

shaggs

Coach
I’m no Kennedy fan. I think we all know that. But from the trials he has been the best fullback option we have. Looked bigger and more confident. Size will help him defensively. A full season before he was ready will help him offensively. He will be the number 1

I expected big things from Tracey but defensively he wasn’t great. Did all the things I didn’t like in Kennedy.

I can’t see where he fits into the 17. Especially once talakai and hunt are fit.

Hiroti is mud. Once Ferris is fit he comes in before him.

Duges was solid but looked another metre slower.

snout

First Grade
None of those excuse a lack of basic fullback skills. He dogged a bomb, missed a simple one on one tackle, was out of position most of the times, made no hitups, as you mentioned he was backing up in the middle but took that to an to an extreme and never got out wide as an extra. It's likely they trained with the Kennedy style of attack and he was far removed from that.

He was mud. I wouldn't even have him on the bench.
Yeah nah.

Hitups?...lol - pretty sure he played fullback. Or do you mean Val Holmes kamikaze style?

One on one miss?...is that the one where magoo and milne let one stroll through and Tracey meets the bloke on the try line as he's crashing over. Gee, hope you're not doing the tackle counts.

As mentioned it would be a different game getting the ball on the front foot for Kennedy with moyza on the right, duges and ronnie to your left and the dogs back pedalling than for Tracey trying to run a play with nuffies to the left and right.
Tracey went through at one stage - held by the jumper and had nothing in support either side.

Yep. He let one bounce. Dropped a sitter when we mightve score the winner late out to the right.
He's short the required skills at the moment.

The general consensus on here last season was we needed more from the 1.
l always said his strength is quick hands as the extra man. That part of his game is already creating points. Time and again.
He was very good yesterday in side with momentum. He couldn't have done any more.

But bomber loves Tracey and he will be in the 17.

Last edited:

Stake Removed

First Grade
I did like how Moylan & Kennedy combined, that worked well.

I worry for Sione this year with Chad playing on his side I don't think he is going to get as much quality ball, that is reason you play Magoulias to help

snout

First Grade
How does Chad work himself into every thread?
Lil ferker.

But while lm here....

Joey johns never kicked a ball without knowing where it would land. Or what the end result would be.

Chad never kicks a ball knowing what it WILL do.
His first til his last...head down...boot to ball....say a prayer.
Zero result.
Every single kick.
No repeats.
No 40/20.
No pressure.

Moyzas first and only kick. Shimmy and dribbled into the ingoal for a drop out.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Tracey doesn't warrant a bench spot. It will be a waste. Come on with 9 or 11 or 13 minutes hoping he comes up with a jack in the box play.

I would be leaning towards Patterson if BB still can't get 80 quality minutes. If BB can do the 80 go with Tolman. Bomber probably will anyway.

Actually, but for some inexperience the forward stocks look pretty good,

Quicksilver

Bench
How does Chad work himself into every thread?
Lil ferker.

But while lm here....

Joey johns never kicked a ball without knowing where it would land. Or what the end result would be.

Chad never kicks a ball knowing what it WILL do.
His first til his last...head down...boot to ball....say a prayer.
Zero result.
Every single kick.
No repeats.
No 40/20.
No pressure.

Moyzas first and only kick. Shimmy and dribbled into the ingoal for a drop out.

The best player of all time kicks the ball better than Chad.

I am shocked.

Chimp

Bench
Agree. He needs to improve in some areas but he's a natural ball player and his stats on try assists were actually up there with a lot of established NRL fullbacks. He looked our most likely play to create something last night.

It's only a trial and everything but that game was a real setback for anyone arguing Tracey should walk into the #1 jersey.
I’m also a Kennedy supporter - yeah he’s not the quickest, and he can have the odd stinker of a game, but he’s creative and a natural ball player. He’s not going to make loads of breaks, he’s not lightening quick so isn’t going to race in from 60 meters out, but he’ll do a job, he’ll set up some tries and I think he’s easily our best option right now.
Tracey is quick and seems pretty tough - he’s happy to take a hit up, which I really like to see, but I don’t see any natural football in him so far. He appears to be one of those players who’s always looked good as a kid because he was quicker than everyone else, but doesn’t have much else in the locker.

Goblin_Shark

Juniors
I get all the Kennedy hugging going on but the reality is the top clubs have class at the back. We have Will. Does a job but so does my Mazda. Doesn’t mean I don’t want a Ferrari.