What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
So what did Jimmy the Pommy podcast Fox Sports guy go nuclear about when Andrew Davey said what he said ?

Gronk

Staff member
^^^^

The ex-England representative star and NRL grand finalist took aim at former Bulldogs player Andrew Davey, lashing him for his comments on Canterbury culture and coach Cameron Ciraldo in the wake of revelations a player left the club after being forced to wrestle teammates as punishment for being late to training.

'It wasn't a culture that I fitted in with and it wasn't the style of coaching that I resonated with,' Davey said.

-----8<----

Graham fired back at those comments on Triple M.

'Andrew Davey came to the club thinking he was going to play every week and he got outworked by a 21-year-old called Jacob Preston, and he embarrassed him,' he said.

'That's why Andrew Davey isn't happy, because he came under the pretense of, 'I'm going to play every week', and a 21-year-old put him in his place and he couldn't get in the team. So he kicks his toys and p***es off to Parramatta.

'Unlucky mate. You didn't like it cause you weren't getting picked and a 21-year-old Jacob Preston …. has shoved it up your a**e, see ya later!'

Rothfield opened the proceedings, expressing concerns over the mental health of Davey after the attack by Graham - but the former Bulldog was quick to bite back.

'Can I interject there on the mental health issue, as a sufferer from depression and anxiety. I've been medicated for it for two years,' Graham said.

'I don't expect any special treatment, I don't expect a free pass and I'm not immune from criticism either and I don't expect a pass for not living up to standards because I have those issues.'

Rothfield continued by saying that Graham's spray on Davey would make players more reluctant to talk in the future.

'What worried me about you Jimmy was, when we're trying to find out the process of what forced a player to leave … we need to talk to people,' Rothfield said.

'And this guy spoke honestly and openly. What you did Jimmy, with respect, you belted him on radio yesterday. It was just a good old spray.

'Now what worries me about that is, we should be encouraging people to speak up in moments like this.

'The next kid who might have an issue at a club is going to think, "S**t, I'm not going to talk".'

But Graham was not backing down.

'The fact of the matter is Andrew Davey came to that football club … everything I said I stand behind it, because it is the truth,' he said.

Rothfield interjected: 'Sure … p*** on Andrew Davey.'

'He's got his perception of what happened and he's entitled to express, before yesterday if anybody had asked me about him and why he left I would have replied with I don't know,' Graham said.

'But because he's put his name to this and he's put his name in the paper and said it, he's then opening himself up for criticism.

'He left because he came to the club assuming he was going to be a walk-up starter.

Rothfield fired back: 'How do you know that? How do you know he didn't go there to try and earn his position?'

Graham replied: 'Because I worked there and I speak to people at the club.

'I know he came to the club thinking, assuming he was going to be a walk-up starter.

'Yes he'd have to do some work but he thought him and [fellow recruit Viliame] Kikau would be partnerships in the back row.'

'The reason (Davey) left is because he wasn't getting picked. If he wasn't getting picked it's because a 21-year-old outworked him and then embarrassed him.

'He didn't like it because he wasn't getting picked. He didn't like it because he thought he was going to get picked, that's why he left.'

'He didn't say that to me, he said he didn't like the coaching,' Rothfield responded.

Graham responded: 'Because that's the truth. He's not going to tell you the truth and blame himself.'

LINK

Tiger5150

Bench
Nah but he's got cousins there ffs! Remember when the Wests coach had an Origin halfback son at Penrith and so he brought him to the Tigers?
Api & Turuva are Tigers next year......Ivan and Chin are both Panthers.....you are making my point for me? Is this as close as you get to acknowledging you were wrong and I was right (again)?

I accept your admission. Very gracious of you.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree Matterson is a better defender but Hopgood is a very good attacking forward.

I think Hopgood is very good.

I don't think he's any more skilful than Matterson (just my opinion), but he runs better lines.

He's also not as strong a defender.

However, he is still young, and has time on his side.

That's not to say I don't think he's a good player.

JokerEel

Coach
I think Hopgood is very good.

I don't think he's any more skilful than Matterson (just my opinion), but he runs better lines.

He's also not as strong a defender.

However, he is still young, and has time on his side.

That's not to say I don't think he's a good player.

On Hopgood I think he hasn't developed from last year to be a top class lock you need to be defensive player tackling everything and dominating those tackles.

He ball playing skills are top notch he doesn't get enough support on his carries.

On Hopgood I think he hasn't developed from last year to be a top class lock you need to be defensive player tackling everything and dominating those tackles.

He ball playing skills are top notch he doesn't get enough support on his carries.

Honestly had his high for Hopgood. But then BA “tried to improve him” by making him a battering ram up the middle. And just like good edge players that serve under BA. They all turn to shit playing up the middle instead of playing to the natural strengths.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Generally they still have to defend 1 on 1..You also see it work on the good teams.

but I was actually commenting on the fullback only attacks on 1 side of the field which is wrong
I mean inside the red zone, where teams are more structured. Obviously no spine player ever 'only' attacks one side of the field, but teams have a structure and it usually involves one spine player playing between two others. Mostly it's the fullback and five-eighth who are split, which allows them to build familiarity with their edge. Yes there are exceptions:

Storm: Hughes (R) and Munster (L) are split with Papenhuyzen floating both sides.
Sharks: Hynes plays very central with Trindall and Kennedy both floating.
Seagulls: DCE plays in the middle with Brooks and Trbojevic floating, but Brooks' highlights are overwhelmingly on the left while Trbojevic's are on the right.
Broncos: Reynolds plays on the right with Mam on the left and Walsh floating. They prefer to shift left.
Bunnies: I can't work out what their structure is just from watching. It probably depends on how Latrell Mitchell is feeling on the day.
Eels: our structure is up there with Souths'. Last year we were generally Gutherson (L), Moses (R) but this year we are all over the place.

But for most teams it's the 6 and the 1 who are usually split left/right, when they get closer to the opposition tryline, as I said:

Dolphins: Tabuai-Fidow (L), Nikorima (R)
Panthers: Luai (L), Edwards (R)
Roosters: Keary (L), Tedesco (R)
Raiders: Strange (L), Rapana/Stewart (R)
Bulldogs: Burton (L), Taafe/Tracey (R)
Cowboys: Dearden (L), Drinkwater (R)
Dragons: Flanagan (L), Sloan (R)
Warriors: TMM (L), CNK (R)
Tigers: Galvin (L), Bula (R)
Knights: Ponga (L), Gamble (R)
Titans: Brimson (L), Boyd (R)

If you looked at a heat map it would show them concentrated on these sides of the field. That doesn't mean they never go where they see an opportunity, but if all the playmakers overload to one side and the play breaks down, there is suddenly no merkin ready to go for a quick shift to the other side. So it makes sense for them to remain where they're 'supposed to be'. There is also the fact that not every team gets into its red zone shape exactly 20m out from the tryline. The teams with the best edges tend to get into attacking shape further out while the teams with weaker edges do it closer to the tryline. Because they all play to their strengths, and their strengths aren't all the same.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why did you personalise it?

You clearly think you post too much and in a detrimental fashion to discussion.
No I don't but I know I've been busy/drinking for 24 hours so I saved all my replies for this morning when I was not busy (and hungover). I am well aware that I made about 17 posts in a row, and you are one of the brave merkins who thinks he'll become more popular by having a go at me. So it was obvious who you were talking to.
That might or might not be a fair self-observation you make.

I wonder what others think, let's hear from them.
You might even make some friends.

hindy111

Post Whore
No I don't but I know I've been busy/drinking for 24 hours so I saved all my replies for this morning when I was not busy (and hungover). I am well aware that I made about 17 posts in a row, and you are one of the brave merkins who thinks he'll become more popular by having a go at me. So it was obvious who you were talking to.

You might even make some friends.

You where out having an Anzac day drink.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Api & Turuva are Tigers next year......Ivan and Chin are both Panthers.....you are making my point for me? Is this as close as you get to acknowledging you were wrong and I was right (again)?

I accept your admission. Very gracious of you.
Merkins who grew up in the same house I understand, but nobody goes to a club because their cousins are there. Turuva is going there because Wests are the top bidder. Don't kid yourself that there is any other reason.

hindy111

Post Whore
Last time I went out for Anzac day was 2008 at Penrith RSL. Mik was killing it at 2 up. Then he bets this lady $50. He takes tails and she takes heads. He gives her his $50 as heads holds. Anyhoes tails wins. Mik says hand it over and she gives him his $50 back. He says yeah and the $50 I won. She arks up, there's your $50. He says yeah that's the f**king $50 I gave you to hold. YOU OWE ME THE $50 I WON. She keeps arguing I gave you your $50. So then he tell her to jam it up her fat arse and walks off.
I've never been back to an Anzac day RSL again. To many unstable drunk people to my liking.

hindy111

Post Whore
Merkins who grew up in the same house I understand, but nobody goes to a club because their cousins are there. Turuva is going there because Wests are the top bidder. Don't kid yourself that there is any other reason.

Actually Saints offer about 25-50k more my little birds told me. But he'd probably spend thst on tolls and petrol

the phantom menace

First Grade
No I don't
season 2 episode 6 GIF

I am well aware that I made about 17 posts in a row, and you are one of the brave merkins who thinks he'll become more popular by having a go at me.
It's not about seeking popularity, it's more a form of group therapy.